John Crane Employee Reviews

Fast paced, enjoyable place to work.
Utlility Repair Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 April 2017
When I began at John Crane, I had no idea of what a mechanical seal was. In less than a week, I had learned how to put one together. Over the course of my 6 years there, I learned the ins and outs of shipping/receiving, inventory, order entry, disassembly and assembly. The overall atmosphere was friendly and there was always someone to come and help if needed.
Pros
1 hour lunch breaks.
Cons
Must be on call at least once a month
Fast paced work environment. High stress level.
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 February 2017
Always something new to learn. Fast paced environment. Due to the economy and the fact that I was laid off 8 months into my employment with the company there is not a lot that I can say about the company overall.
This place is not a career it is a job
Mechanical Seal Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 November 2016
if you enjoy working with good people in a low stress environment this place is good. but if you want to go somewhere in your career this place is a waste of time.
Short of a sales position or a Management position you have no chance for career advancement.
Pros
People that work there are great
Cons
The corporate higher ups don't care about your career or continuing your education
Good place to work but not very secure.
TECHNICAL SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 April 2016
Worked there for 3.5 months as a Technical Sales Rep. They have an excellent training program which took place right after you start with the company until you're qualified to be on your own. This process took me less than 3 months to know the in's and out's of the company and its products. My focus was outside sales for mechanical seals, power transmission couplings, seal support systems, filtration systems and hydro-dynamic bearings. They also got e-learning courses online that you have to pass 80% to gain credits. Each course took an average of an hour to complete. These courses teach you about mechanical seals, rotating equipment, seal support systems, bearings, turbo-machinery, pumps, cross-selling and lastly SAP.

The people I worked with are wonderful people, hard working and knowledgeable.

The hardest part of the job is not knowing when you might get let go.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the people who wanting to help you whenever you need help.
It was a good indoor job.
Assembly Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton AB23 April 2015
When the times were tough it was helpful to work for this company but a lot has to be done to have it level up with the jobs in the new millenium
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Close to home
Great place to learn and grow.
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MN27 May 2014
John Crane allowed individuals to grow at their own pace. The faster you learned, the more chance for advancement. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with new technologies, and forwarding these technologies to the customer, and getting them onboard. The most enjoyable part of the job, whether as a Manager, or CSR, is the customer relations. The customers make the day so much more enjoyable.
Relaxed Work Enviroment
Utility Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 March 2014
There is little room for advancement, and the management team is still young. But it is a relaxed work environment and is quite forgiving, and they do have a lot of respect for life outside of work if things need to be taken care of.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
No Room for advancement
John Crane is a Unionised Shop
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON7 April 2013
John Crane is a fairly good place to work. Lay offs are seldom but they do occur. Recalls also occur. They primarily do sealing systems. The pay and conditions are in the better range and in general the atmosphere is pleasant.
Pros
stable employment
Cons
can be repetitive
Nice team
TECHNICAL SALES (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC30 July 2012
Nice and easy products to sell. Territory and customers were very receptive to our products because John Crane mechanical seals were the leader in the industry.
Pros
territory
Cons
cheap on expense accounts