John Abbott College Employee Reviews

Poor department management. Unorganized, and volatile antics and behaviour.
Cashier and Customer Service. Tepa book store (Former Employee) –  Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, QC21 April 2019
Poor work environment. Department politics are unavoidable. Highly dramatic environment with far too many seeking control rather than hard work and student service. The agenda is very visable and greatly effects work ethic and quality as well as environment. Creates toxicity and provides poor service to student body. The book store is with certainty a department to be avoided if possible when seeking employment.
Pros
Students.
Cons
Professional climate tense toxic and dysfunctional in this department
Fun place to work. very accepting work environment
Student Activities Employee (Current Employee) –  ste anne de bellview26 February 2019
Very accepting and enjoyable place to work with. Nice genuine caring people. Forgiving and will happily switch around shifts. Will not get angry with you if you cannot make it to a shift
Pros
good pay
Best Job Ever
Student Representative (Former Employee) –  Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, QC7 December 2018
You are paid to help people!
Most CEGEP do not pay their students to do this, so if you get offered the job, do it!
The only downside is that it is not a long-term job
Stress free
ITS Intern (Former Employee) –  Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, QC27 November 2018
Was a great experience working at John Abbott. The people were awesome and treated me with respect and taught me many things. I was given opportunities to use my IT skills that I learned in my PC Tech Course. Had a lot of fun.
Enjoyable and challanging environment, sports oriented with defined goals and objectives.
Men & Women soccer consultant (Former Employee) –  Montréal-Ouest, QC14 November 2018
The commitment of running a soccer team with all its challenges.
Ability to adapt on a daily basis with individual struggles, dealing with the improvisation to overcome the individual difficulty.
Excellent place for student employment
Facilities and Student Activities (Former Employee) –  everywhere20 September 2018
Overall a positive experience. hours work very well with class schedule and pay is good. working with other students is fun and supervisors are all very nice and helpful
John Abbott College
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, QC8 May 2018
Student job
working in the pool giving swimming lessons to kids from all ages to adults

good workplace culture
student bosses flexible and nice

good
Working at school
Volunteer work and extracurricular (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC12 April 2018
Working at John Abbott as a student is really efficient and great for people that have a busy schedule but still want to have a part time job.Everything you do as volunteer work looks great on a CV.
Great experience
Instructor (Current Employee) –  West Island, QC4 April 2018
Good place to start a teaching career. Does provide a lot of space for independent work but has established a strong support network. Does not always provide great work space.
Fun, but challenging
Tutoring (Former Employee) –  St anne de bellevue, Qc17 November 2017
Tutoring can be very tough depending on the student. It can also be boring during walk-in periods when there's no students. The tutoring itself, I found fun.
amazing people to work with, a great environment. Easily balanced school and work
Library Assistant (student job) (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, QC15 November 2017
I had an amazing time working for the john abbott library. The staff is always smiling and ready to help you learn as well as clarify any confusions. There was a lot of autonomy as well as working in a team. It was a great job for a student, however you must be a full time student at John Abbott if you would like to work there. Overall a great experience and I would go back in a heartbeat.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
only available to full time John Abbott students
convenient place to work
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, QC9 September 2017
This is a convenient place for me to work because I go to school here and can work here on my breaks. I have learnt how to deal with people and parents.
Great Environment to work in all around
Coaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, QC30 August 2017
The employees are a joy to work with which makes for great atmosphere in the work place and management is very helpful and easily accessible when you need advice on anything.
Librarian (Former Employee) –  Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, QC22 August 2017
Flexible with students on their schedule and help you make your schedule around work but at the same time require a certain level of commitment to school.
fund and challenging workplace
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 August 2017
I loved teaching at John Abbott College to a wonderful array of creative and culturally diverse students. The most enjoyable part of the job was teaching in the classroom and in the developing an attention to each student: I learned to be more patient and how to cater to the individual, to the needs of a diverse level and type of student at a very important and transitional stage of their lives.

The workplace had its ups and it's challenges: The workplace culture is positive and generally good, but the link and respect between teachers and administration needs a re-vamping and struggles to make changes to some of the dysfunctions that large institutions face:The need for better communication with Departments, to fill a hole for very basic needs, as this directly affects the students and the teachers in the classroom and out. The workload is also not ideal as there are more administrative demands on the teachers creating much less time for curriculum, students,office hours and pedagogy. This was the hardest part of the job, along with the 2 hour trip to work, one way.
Pros
beautiful campus
Cons
challenging to flourish in teaching and your own projects/development
Fun and interactive job
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint anne de bellevue26 July 2017
This job was fun of adventures, I learned a lot about myself, I improved my work ethic and was able to work with 9 other wondering people. Enforcing the rules to my peers as well as maintaining a good school record was challenging. However, Being around so many people of my age and learning about all their differences was rewarding.
Good Place to Work and Co-Workers are Friendly
Student Aid (Former Employee) –  Saint-Anne-de-bellview28 May 2017
The school was a good place to work, the student i worked with was very nice and easy to get along with. it was much the same for the staff at the school and were very helpful when I had questions about the premises.
chill
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré, QC5 May 2017
I've been with Indeed for over two years and have seen many changes along the way. Some for the better some for the worse in my opinion. Overall the company is a great place to work. The environment is young, competitive, and fast paced. Training is excellent and the sales team is growing extremely fast so advancement opportunities look good at the moment. Management is good and will take time to make sure their people succeed. It's nice to be treated like an adult and a true investment to a company. The only issue I have at the moment is the lack of transparency with quotas at times. I guess that's the way it goes in any large sales force. It would be nice to have some more analytics or data about how quotas are formulated even if it is just a reflection of a large company goal for the quarter. Overall I would recommend this workplace to others.
Great job
Assistant in outdoor gym classes (Former Employee) –  Quebec13 April 2017
I assist the students in outdoor gym classes to help the teachers. I help by making sure the students are applying what they learned in class (LNT, or other knowledge), making sure they are not in danger and supervise.

I learned how to organize a hiking or winter camping trip, how to teach or help the students, how to lead a group and I got more experience in hiking and winter camping.

The workplace's atmosphere is very welcoming. You always want to learn more and learn to know other people.

The hardest part of the job is to deal with students who do not want to cooperate.

I most enjoyed learning things to the students, learning things from the experience and the teachers I was helping, being in nature and being physically active
Pros
Great people, always learning and being in the outdoors
Great part-time job for a student
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 January 2017
This is a job offered by the college for students who are enrolled only. It is a great part-time job, limited hours with excellent pay. The only problem would be lack of initiative from others. Everyone who is a lifeguard must teach swimming lessons and very few people want to take someones lessons shift which makes it hard to find substitutions.
Pros
Pays well
Cons
lack of initiative from co-workers