John Abbott College

John Abbott College Employee Reviews

Canada31 reviews
A good way to do school work and have time for a job. It combines work I would do for homework with the requirements of a job. It helped me improve my schoolwork.
Pros
Time for school and work
Cons
Dont get paid much
Poor work environment. Department politics are unavoidable. Highly dramatic environment with far too many seeking control rather than hard work and student service. The agenda is very visable and greatly effects work ethic and quality as well as environment. Creates toxicity and provides poor service to student body. The book store is with certainty a department to be avoided if possible when seeking employment.
Pros
Students.
Cons
Professional climate tense toxic and dysfunctional in this department
Very accepting and enjoyable place to work with. Nice genuine caring people. Forgiving and will happily switch around shifts. Will not get angry with you if you cannot make it to a shift
Pros
good pay
You are paid to help people!
Most CEGEP do not pay their students to do this, so if you get offered the job, do it!

The only downside is that it is not a long-term job
Was a great experience working at John Abbott. The people were awesome and treated me with respect and taught me many things. I was given opportunities to use my IT skills that I learned in my PC Tech Course. Had a lot of fun.
The commitment of running a soccer team with all its challenges.
Ability to adapt on a daily basis with individual struggles, dealing with the improvisation to overcome the individual difficulty.
Overall a positive experience. hours work very well with class schedule and pay is good. working with other students is fun and supervisors are all very nice and helpful
Student job
working in the pool giving swimming lessons to kids from all ages to adults

good workplace culture

student bosses flexible and nice

good
Working at John Abbott as a student is really efficient and great for people that have a busy schedule but still want to have a part time job.Everything you do as volunteer work looks great on a CV.
Good place to start a teaching career. Does provide a lot of space for independent work but has established a strong support network. Does not always provide great work space.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at John Abbott College?
Tutoring can be very tough depending on the student. It can also be boring during walk-in periods when there's no students. The tutoring itself, I found fun.
I had an amazing time working for the john abbott library. The staff is always smiling and ready to help you learn as well as clarify any confusions. There was a lot of autonomy as well as working in a team. It was a great job for a student, however you must be a full time student at John Abbott if you would like to work there. Overall a great experience and I would go back in a heartbeat.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
only available to full time John Abbott students
This is a convenient place for me to work because I go to school here and can work here on my breaks. I have learnt how to deal with people and parents.
The employees are a joy to work with which makes for great atmosphere in the work place and management is very helpful and easily accessible when you need advice on anything.
Flexible with students on their schedule and help you make your schedule around work but at the same time require a certain level of commitment to school.
I loved teaching at John Abbott College to a wonderful array of creative and culturally diverse students. The most enjoyable part of the job was teaching in the classroom and in the developing an attention to each student: I learned to be more patient and how to cater to the individual, to the needs of a diverse level and type of student at a very important and transitional stage of their lives.

The workplace had its ups and it's challenges: The workplace culture is positive and generally good, but the link and respect between teachers and administration needs a re-vamping and struggles to make changes to some of the dysfunctions that large institutions face:The need for better communication with Departments, to fill a hole for very basic needs, as this directly affects the students and the teachers in the classroom and out. The workload is also not ideal as there are more administrative demands on the teachers creating much less time for curriculum, students,office hours and pedagogy. This was the hardest part of the job, along with the 2 hour trip to work, one way.
Pros
beautiful campus
Cons
challenging to flourish in teaching and your own projects/development
This job was fun of adventures, I learned a lot about myself, I improved my work ethic and was able to work with 9 other wondering people. Enforcing the rules to my peers as well as maintaining a good school record was challenging. However, Being around so many people of my age and learning about all their differences was rewarding.
The school was a good place to work, the student i worked with was very nice and easy to get along with. it was much the same for the staff at the school and were very helpful when I had questions about the premises.
I've been with Indeed for over two years and have seen many changes along the way. Some for the better some for the worse in my opinion. Overall the company is a great place to work. The environment is young, competitive, and fast paced. Training is excellent and the sales team is growing extremely fast so advancement opportunities look good at the moment. Management is good and will take time to make sure their people succeed. It's nice to be treated like an adult and a true investment to a company. The only issue I have at the moment is the lack of transparency with quotas at times. I guess that's the way it goes in any large sales force. It would be nice to have some more analytics or data about how quotas are formulated even if it is just a reflection of a large company goal for the quarter. Overall I would recommend this workplace to others.
I assist the students in outdoor gym classes to help the teachers. I help by making sure the students are applying what they learned in class (LNT, or other knowledge), making sure they are not in danger and supervise.

I learned how to organize a hiking or winter camping trip, how to teach or help the students, how to lead a group and I got more experience in hiking and winter camping.

The workplace's atmosphere is very welcoming. You always want to learn more and learn to know other people.

The hardest part of the job is to deal with students who do not want to cooperate.

I most enjoyed learning things to the students, learning things from the experience and the teachers I was helping, being in nature and being physically active
Pros
Great people, always learning and being in the outdoors
This is a job offered by the college for students who are enrolled only. It is a great part-time job, limited hours with excellent pay. The only problem would be lack of initiative from others. Everyone who is a lifeguard must teach swimming lessons and very few people want to take someones lessons shift which makes it hard to find substitutions.
Pros
Pays well
Cons
lack of initiative from co-workers
Ask a question about working or interviewing at John Abbott College. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3