JOEY Restaurants

JOEY Restaurants Employee Reviews

Working for Joey Completely Deteriorated My Mental Health

I was employed by Joey Restaurants for just over a year. In that year, I was able to advance from GST/Server to a Server/Shift Leader. There were constant stress added onto the shift leaders to constantly calculate labor while being paid the exact same wage as GSTs. They would not allow me to serve full-time as they required me to always be on the GST schedule since no one ever wanted to be a hostess. The manager's always displayed favouritism which was exhausting as it was reflected in the weekly schedule you were assigned if you weren't a favourite. Previous serving experience would be an asset as the server training happens in groups in an almost classroom like setting. They expect you to "romance" their menu items as the menu description is always vague which prolongs the order taking process. They also make you tip out on guest complaints or any mistakes you made and you get reprimanded for it too even if it wasn't your fault. Their tip out was about 6%-7% as well while I was employed there. Working in this environment exacerbated my anxiety as it felt like the individual's were never doing enough to meet the sky high standards of the management team and company.

Pros

VIP budget to create memorable guest experiences, opportunities for advancement, met some celebrities while working there, constant constructive criticism

Cons

Late nights, limited discounts on their menu, no discounts for friends and family, management team

NO break to the dishwasher

no break to dishwasher and no food at all. there is no fun at working here they will reopen kitchen just for a guest who shows up at the last minute.

Pros

Cons

no food no break only if you dont snoke

Great for students only or single people

Please stay away from this place they don’t pay you more if you stayed one hour extra. They don’t give you a break if you worked more than 5 hours the environment is not the best.

Pros

This job is good for young people or students who wants to save money for schooling

Cons

Not breaks not organization lack of communication from the management team

Lots to learn, bad environment

Learned lots about customer service and etc but customers, fellow employees, and managers are horrible. Traumatized from restaurant business environment, and so are fellow coworkers. No hours as well.

Pros

Learned skills

Cons

Environment

Bad management, Discrimination towards minorities

Management silently discriminates minorities. If they don't like you or you try to stick up and ask for a path towards a higher position they tend to set you up with false expectations. No one is on the same page. They treat minorities like slaves basically from my experience they only provide support to their favorite co-workers. Favoritism is a huge thing at Joey especially at Polo Park winnipeg location.

Cons

Toxic work culture

Good environment for learning

I saw a lot of people come and go over the 3 years I worked here and over all it was amazing the sous chefs are supporting and care about everyone and most people want to help you succeed.

Pros

Family atmosphere Amazing food Fun people

Cons

Breaks aren’t really a thing FOH

Worst Management Team Ever

For a large restaurant operation it’s was very poorly managed. Promises made but never fulfilled. Unhappy employees, poor work conditions, weak management. Everyday you’ll encounter a fight between the morning and closing shift. You can hear a lot of backstabbing everywhere especially in the locker room. A lot of favoritism as well. They don’t care about your well being and they will throw you off the bus when things get dirty. You are just number in a corporation making a little bit above the minimum wage. Terrible kitchen appliances. Don’t recommend if you are a POC or immigrant.

Pros

$17 starting pay, very good in terms of training new employees

Cons

Overworked, everyone’s telling you to do something, bullying, rude supervisors, no proper clock in clock out system that causes problem on payroll, sous chef with extremely bad anger management problem, too many “managers”, no dishwasher, filthy kitchen

They didn’t give you enough hours

They only favour old employees they laid me off for 5 months and after I was called back they only gave me 1 shift worth 4 hours in a week. They don’t tell you they have enough shifts but keep you in hang and people are so mean and expect you to work like a robot and they cut off a lot of labour .

Pros

Cons

You have pay 50%for staff meal and that’s wrong. We shall be getting free food

Fun but stressful workplace

Some coworkers are super nice but some are terrible. Your salary always stay the same at minimum wage, only your tips are getting higher. They always try to take advantages of you.

Pros

Nice people

Cons

Long hours, stressful

Amazing management training but lacks work life and beginning pay is terrible

Really great people and work culture, hands on training I learned a ton in a very small window. Starting pay for managers is extremely low for the amount of work you will put in, and unpaid overtime is basically unavoidable.

Pros

Benefits, and a food budget (really good food too)

Cons

9-13 hour days 5 days a week

Jobs at JOEY Restaurants

See more jobs

Worst Experience as a cook/chef

At first the experience was new and exciting but that died real quick. Some friendly coworkers but management was pretty bad. No skill, no organization and no proper leadership. Felt like the minorities were paid less even though they worked twice as hard. With what is going on in the world right now, you would think they would change that culture and try to have equal rights.

Pros

Cons

Working there

Good money but high expectations

As a server there are a lot of expectations (more than most restaurants).Its a very hands on job but if your up to the task and work hard you'll make steady money. Large building means more walking, more tables, longer hours and some very late nights.

Not worth the stress

They have a pretty good training program and a lot is expected of you. There are a lot of knowledgeable partners who work there and you get a lot of insight and advice from them. That's about the only reason I stayed for over a year and a half with the company. In the end, it wasn't worth it for the amount of work and overtime I put in for basically no pay off, and the amount of stress I got from the place. Management is two faced and they don't care about you at all. If you try to bring up complaints, you're met with the "you can leave, we'll find someone else" attitude. They're constantly pitting you against your coworkers for no reason. Your list of duties only ever expands and gets progressively harder without proper training. The day has to go exactly like management expects even if there's obvious setbacks that will delay things, after which you immediately become weak and "need to work harder". This restaurant will slowly become your life with the way they schedule people, and the amount of people I've worked with who had constant breakdowns and had to take weeks off is insane. The employee turnaround is huge. New people come and go every week and most of them don't stay longer for a year. Do yourself a favor and look for something else. tldr: If you're thriving in an environment where all that's pointed out to you are your faults, get reminded how expendable you are, people are promoted based on timing (or when there's a shortage of leaders because everyone left), get empty promises, and no complaint is ever taken seriously and you're just waiting for the -

Pros

Friendly coworkers

Cons

Overtime, chaotic scheduling, long days, selfish management, harassment

It’s okay.

My co-workers were great but the management was very hit or miss. They fired me right after I took some time off because there was a corona outbreak. Some managers were very sweet and some aren’t at all. They never set me up to succeed and didn’t treat me good at all. I loved working with my friends, but my managers were not good at all. I also said multiple times I was uninterested in full-time work and they never listened I was working 5 days a week with 8 hour shifts.

Pros

Co-workers and pay

Cons

Bad management and over work you.

Great place if you want to meet friends and make money

Standard restaurant job with an extremely high 7% tip out for servers and 4% tip out for bartenders. Head office and and regional managers don't care one bit about you. The company only wants to charge the customers as much as they can and then take as much of your tip as they can.

Pros

Coworkers, fun environment, Social

Cons

Managers, Tip-out, Not much for staff perks

Cutthroat make you shave everyday

You get look down if you have a good work ethics and no culinary study/schooling. Enjoyed being around people who want to move up and have goals in life only problem was they didn't fit a certent look/gender

Pros

Talented group of people to be around

Cons

Tip out less less than most

Management disoriented

Advertises themselves to be very on top of their training and management however this is not true dependent on what location you're working at. They trained not in line with their standards and then proceeded to show frustration and anger when employees didnt know what they were doing. Also very shallow and sexist, they don't allow men to serve in the lounge and they only hire pretty men and women.

Professional but no advancement and not good pay

Joey has really good and efficient ways of getting the work done to make their company money. Their management system is good and the people there are fun to work with. If you want time off they’d work around your schedule to help you. However if you want to move up or get paid good that will not happen. You have to suck up or be really good friends with the managers to get anywhere. If not they will take advantage of your work ethic, giving you false promises to move up. After working there for a year or so you will only get a raise in your tips of 5% to 10% and stay at minimum wage. Working there almost reminds me of a highschool, if you’re popular you will do good. You will never have a full time week, they will bring you to part time pretty much to save money. During a meeting one time chefs only gave praise to the coach’s and supervisors and sous chefs. If you are not any of those, you will not be valued and only looked at as a minimum wage worker to get their food out. Doing closing shifts there is usually a disaster, they never really have a dishwasher so you’d be closing your entire station and a dish pit. I’d suggest if working at Joey making it just your second job and not a job where you’d depend on them to make a living.

its okay but not best place to work

co-workers were great. but management sucks. lack of opportunities for advancement. little bullied in work place during rush time. overall, its okay to work but not a best place to work. wouldn't recommend but if you have no choice.. okay

Amazing company to work for

Fast paced, energetic, innovative. This company is amazing to work for and you’ll gain life skills that you can take with you anywhere you choose to go!

It's ok to work at Joey if you want to upgrade your skills

Good to work at Joey have a well established company and organizations wise well.they have a fair amount of tips and salary and good working relationship with see of the chef's and co worker.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JOEY Restaurants. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement