JOEY Restaurants

JOEY Restaurants Employee Reviews

Canada95 reviews
It's ok to work at Joey if you want to upgrade your skills
Good to work at Joey have a well established company and organizations wise well.they have a fair amount of tips and salary and good working relationship with see of the chef's and co worker.
Professional but no advancement and not good pay
Joey has really good and efficient ways of getting the work done to make their company money. Their management system is good and the people there are fun to work with. If you want time off they’d work around your schedule to help you. However if you want to move up or get paid good that will not happen. You have to suck up or be really good friends with the managers to get anywhere. If not they will take advantage of your work ethic, giving you false promises to move up. After working there for a year or so you will only get a raise in your tips of 5% to 10% and stay at minimum wage. Working there almost reminds me of a highschool, if you’re popular you will do good. You will never have a full time week, they will bring you to part time pretty much to save money. During a meeting one time chefs only gave praise to the coach’s and supervisors and sous chefs. If you are not any of those, you will not be valued and only looked at as a minimum wage worker to get their food out. Doing closing shifts there is usually a disaster, they never really have a dishwasher so you’d be closing your entire station and a dish pit. I’d suggest if working at Joey making it just your second job and not a job where you’d depend on them to make a living.
its okay but not best place to work
co-workers were great. but management sucks.
lack of opportunities for advancement.

little bullied in work place during rush time.

overall, its okay to work but not a best place to work.

wouldn't recommend but if you have no choice.. okay
Amazing company to work for
Fast paced, energetic, innovative. This company is amazing to work for and you’ll gain life skills that you can take with you anywhere you choose to go!
Server liaison
Did not enjoy it. Work-life balance is very poor and shifts have no end time. If you're injured at work they will send their 3rd party representatives after you to get you back to work asap. They will do everything in their power to protest your wage lost to get you back working. For a company that strives to care about their "partners", it absolutely should not be like that.
Absolutely Ridiculous
A typical day at work: being bullied by management, being micromanaged, managers having no respect for staff, verbal and emotional abuse from management. Staff have reached out to head office regarding these issues and instead of taking action they reward this behaviour and respond by giving the said manager a promotion. Infuriating. Do yourself a favour and find a different restaurant to work at.
Its fun but you have to keep reminding
JOEY was a very fun place to work. Its always super busy and when its not there is always something to do. Co-workers and chefs are really nice and want the best for their staff. They are always hiring and training new people which leads to reducing hours of part timers.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Bad
Did meet some really great people who are part of this organization and others experience may be different dependant on location. My experience was fairly bad though. Found it to be too corporate and they didn’t care about certain staff members. Also really low paying wage for lower management. Bad work life balance working certain shift hours. Really bad manager at location.
Intense but rewarding kitchen job.
JOEYS is probably the most intensive work you can find as an entry level line cook. If you are up to the task you will learn a lot, and potentially advance your career, it is not for everyone.
Great experience!
Great group to join if you are looking to serve in a team oriented, customer-experience centric environment. Fast paced, but fun!
If you work hard and the leadership notices your work ethic, there is opportunity for promotions and to join the leadership/management team!
Poor work environment due to individualism
While the company presents a relaxed message in their recruiting efforts, the restaurant management group as a whole lack detail, imagination, and leadership in their ability to collaborate and execute when it comes to executing on the line and on the floor.

Our kitchen management team works individually and selfishly, with no group effort to execute at the highest level. Poor recruiting efforts falls on the higher level management team, but also on the training program of which there is none -- our regional managers are basically ghosts.

I wouldn't hire a friend to work with me, nor would I suggest the company as a landing ground for anyone looking to get into the industry. It's a poorly operated company from top to bottom.
Extremely bad experience
Management here is really despotic and the owner is very old and therefore gets extremely rude when over exerted with work, hence release her frustration on employees by yelling at them for no reason and disrespecting them.Once the owner starts disliking any server , she would become biased with other servers and starts disrespecting the former one.This thing can be seen by the extreme turn over in staff in really less time.
always learning, nice enviroment, team support, good worker and bosses
Nice place to work, you have definated all yurs daily task, they let you work if you nedd help they help you, if you finish to work earlier, you can leave, they don´t sature of work
Low (minimum) wage, high expectation...
Not too sure if they understood that no all walks of life are the same. Especially with some people who may have mental disablities/doubted concussions, not forgetting, it been addressed prior during the interview process. Likewise, as the title says it all, and this work place may not be for everyone.
False hope
Lots of false promises to staff. Management switches weekly....also to many boss with 0 communication. Everyone is told something different by people.
Fun place to work
Lots of opportunities for advancement + raises. Performance-based scheduling, competitiveness, teamwork. Management is very relaxed and open minded. Coaching/mentorship always available.
productive and fun place to learn from for a first job
A typical day at JOEY would be me setting up my station and working with my team to have an excellent service at the end of the shift I would talk to my chef for feedback to better myself as a cook
Shiny and Fun until in the thick of it
Great people, great team, and great insight into a unique and fast-paced industry. High amount of turnover in employees due to stressors of the job whether front of the house, back of house, or management. A company growing at a very fast rate with opportunity for advancement however very political and will take advantage when they can to shave corners (mainly regard pay). Was it a fine place to work? Yes. Could it be a great place to work? Maybe. Is it for everyone? No - ask lots of questions
Basics
The company was a great place to begin my culinary career. They will teach you the basics that every chef should know from, work place organization to how to work under time pressure but during my time with the company they were not able to teach my much cooking skills.

Work environment is great but every limited to what you learn as a cook.
Not a good experience
I did not enjoy working here, it is a very competitive and catty environment. They hire based solely on looks, not actual experience. They were in the media years ago for making servers wear high heels through long shifts-even when their feet started bleeding. Any place that treats their employees like that, I do not support.
Family environment
I worked with some amazing people here. Love the food and drink seminars to help with my knowledge of the menus. Management was great for the most part.
Pros
Great perks
Cons
Hard on the body