JOEY Restaurants Employee Reviews

Don’t bother applying if over 30
Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 January 2019
Could be a fun place to work but they like to keep staff under 30. The hiring process is a group interview where they seat about 10-20 people at tables and send managers around to ask questions about social intelligence and integrity. The staff are all very young and most staff seem to be students.
Pros
Nice restaurant
Cons
Biased as to age
Fun and lucrative
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 January 2019
Great flexibility with schedule
you get to be apart of a friendly team
food & beverage you can be proud to serve
plenty of opportunity to advance within company
team oriented
Pros
Menu prices allow for great tips
Cons
tip out is on higher end
BOH - Not the worst but not the best
Prep Cook/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB27 November 2018
Started off with an UNPAID orientation, and 2+ hours of UNPAID online homework training needed to be completed before your first shift. Work/life balance askew from day one..

On my first day, my trainer left me alone during the lunch rush for almost an hour, I had to ask the person next to me for help who had only been working there for 2 weeks.

The dishwasher was extremely particular.

Overheard FOH managers blatantly making fun of their customers.
Pros
The training I did receive was very thorough. Room for advancement.
Cons
Unpaid expectations. Not enough leadership.
Short Experience
Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 September 2018
I only worked with JOEY restaurants for a short time period. It was busy and an enjoyable work environment. It was my first serving job though, which made it a bit more stressful, and they had very high standards of service.
Fun Environment
Prep and Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 September 2018
It was fun working here for the little amount of time i was there for, fun people, food was great, the environment alone was great to be in, nothing but positive vibes while working here
Cons
rush hor
good
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 September 2018
Had great culture. people who worked here are very passionate which is appreciated. Didn't seem like they cared about their workers a lot but the managers tried.
Pros
environment
Cons
long hours not worth it sometimes
productive and fun place to work
Server (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 August 2018
Dealing with customers and amazing and tough at the same time joey has helped me with my hospitality skills and communication skills. the management is super organized and attends to the needs that are needed from the employees.
great learning environment
Nigh sous (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 August 2018
From the moment you get hired at Joeys you learn a lot about cooking and the prep of food. These restaurants are very busy and its hard to be able to keep up with. They do a really good job of making sure people are prepared and trained to experience the fast paced environment of a JOEY kitchen.
young, hip, work enviroenment
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON15 August 2018
love eating at joeys, didnt love working there
management had poor techniques that hold some people back
micromanaged too much, took the enjoyment out of the job
food is amazing
great music and atmosphere
Fun enviroment to work in
Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 August 2018
Great people great food . Fun environment to work in although it is usaully really warm . Get to learn new things all the time and get to grow as a person.
Pros
Half off staff food
Cons
Wages
Really nice people around you
Recruit (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB6 July 2018
Always having a blast with the people in the kitchen, really good group to work with. Closing shifts are not the greatest on super busy nights, other than that really good environment.
Pros
Really nice people
Cons
Closing shifts
A typical work day
Cook (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON22 April 2018
It was great working at Joey's Restaurant. I learned a lot, I never knew how to cook fish before, but I learned it really fast. We had a lot of fun and laughs.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Not enough hours
Education, support, camaraderie
Shift Manager and Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 April 2018
As a five year Front of House employee of the JOEY Restaurant group, and having worked at multiple other restaurants, I can confidently say that the experience I have had working at JOEY is unparalleled in its commitment to employee success. Training and development is constantly supported for management, educational resources are provided to the servers and bartenders, growth within the company is encouraged and supported, and the social intelligence that is developed by all staff is valuable for all future endeavours that they may grow towards.
Pros
Ongoing coaching, promotions from within, employee discounts, location transfers, performance based scheduling
Cons
Socially challenging, hard work, late nights
Advancement based on Performance
Senior Server (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC8 April 2018
Not your typical industry restaurant where seniority determines success and money making. I was able to work opening and closing shifts within 2 weeks of starting. Cashflow is consistent year round and management are understanding and motivating,
Fast paced engaging environment with a great team.
Day Manager / Shift Leader / Bartender (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC4 April 2018
Excellent place to work while finishing a degree. Flexible hours and room to grow within the restaurant if desired. Great training program with continuous mentorship.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Room for career growth within the company
Amazing place to work
Bartender and Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 March 2018
The staff are all very friendly. The restaurants are very well managed and kept very clean. It is a positive work environment and a place that encourages your advancement.
great people to work with
Sushi Chef (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB20 March 2018
Super cool people to work with, always challenging you to do the best work you can possibly do. Help you develop a good work ethic that sticks with you in all aspects of life.
Pros
positive environment
Cons
not enough hours during low sales
Great
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 March 2018
I had a great time i learned alot of new things. The managers were great and welcoming, it was a fast paced enviroemnt be ready to be on your feet all day !
Pros
free lunches
Cons
lots of running
Great learning environment!
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 March 2018
Lots of learning skills from this work place. Hours are sometimes cut short as it is not busy. Lots of good food to eat as well! Great learning place for people who want to leatn about cooking.
Was told I was hired then they never got back to me.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC12 February 2018
I went for an interview. I was really excited. I ended up being told I was hired what my wage would be and what station they were wanting to train me on and that they would get back to me in the next couple days to let me know my schedule as they needed to see where I could be fit in.
I was super excited to join an amazing team and have a great opportunity to work with Joey's and learn from them and advance culinary experience as I know they have a very great system in place for cooks.
Just to be told in hired. I give my notice at my current job and then never be contacted back. Even after emailing them to see what was going on with my schedule.
Very unprofessional.
This was the Joey's in Burnaby. And I was very excited to join their team as I have been working in kitchens since my very first job as a kid.

Just want to say. You don't hire someone. Tell them what wage you'll give them and that you'll get back to them with their schedule just to never contact you that again.
Official response from JOEY Restaurants
8 March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. Candidate feedback is extremely important to us and we take it very seriously.

If you’re willing to provide a few more details about your experience it would be greatly appreciated. Information such as location and dates of interview(s) help us to provide specific feedback to the team, to ensure we continue to improve!

Details can be emailed to: Careers@joeyrestaurants.com

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JOEY Restaurants. Our community is ready to answer.