JOEY Restaurants
Happiness score is 47 out of 100

JOEY Restaurants Employee Reviews

Canada309 reviews

Depends on location

Good place to work generally. I feel like it depends on which location, in my experience management could’ve been more receptive to feedback from the staff

Worst place to work

worst culture. Favouritism, shallow values. if you wanna build some character and thick skin then thats the only good thing that will come out of this company.

Insights into JOEY Restaurants

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Crocked Management. Bottom line.

The management really took a turn for the worst here. I watched so many amazing servers leave the building. Disappointing to see to say the least.

Cons

Management Rude

Stressful, fast paced

Stressful, fast paced. Line cooks often have more experience and training than a prep cook. A prep cook typically prepares the ingredients the line cook will then use at their specific station.

Terrible pay, long hours, no breaks, no benefits

Low pay, no breaks, no benefitsSometimes work 10-12 hours with no breaksThere is no staff mealThey also don't provide benefitsI earn minimum wage here which does not make sense because the workload is double or triple working at other minimum wage jobs

Pros

Friendly coworkers, lots of hours, overtime pay

Cons

Low pay, no breaks, no staff meal

Cutthroat but easy to succeed if you drink the kool-aid

Joey is a great place to start in the industry because of its training but it is very toxic, hence the very high turnover. The schedule is publically ranked from the best to the worst server so everyone sees what management thinks of each partner. Male servers are not allowed to serve in the lounge. Corporate puts a lot of pressure on the managers to meet lofty sales quotas which then causes those managers to come down on the servers for relatively insignificant mistakes when you take into account the amount of money this business makes. Way too much stress to be under at your part-time job!

I enjoy working in JOEY Restaurant

JOEY Restaurant is one of the most restaurants that have played a fantastic role in my life,I enjoy working in the company but I needed to relocate to another province.That is one of the experienced I enjoyed most JOEY Restaurant,, employer's are always available for job seekers

High job volume

High job volume with little pay. The workload of a downtown restaurant, however, the pay did not meet the standard basically in short you had to do the workload of 3 people and you have to work alone. If that case I should have been paid the amount of a person working downtown but the pay compared to the workload was not accurate. I also felt the management team did not care about this. The people and my co-workers were the only good thing about this job. During December I would have to work 9 hours straight and the overtime pay was very minimum, 5.75 for one hour of overtime. Not 5.75 per hour but one hour 5.75, which is not fair to the employee. All in all the people you meet here are amazing, however, the pay and workload were bare minimum and not accurate to the amount of work you were forced to do.

Best in the industry

Management is top notch and you learn quickly on how to strive at hospitality. Lots of room to grow and great place to make money. Supportive team that will get you through a shift.

Meh

Working at Joey wasn’t exactly awful, but the management was rude. Schedules were always posted last minute, getting time off is hard & tip out is really high.

I’ve seen worse

Management is kinda a pain sometimes. Some are good though. Dishes don’t require much skill at all to execute and theres not too much to learn here. Overall not bad

Stressful and horrible place to work

The place is so stressful with bad leaders who don’t care about you. They only think about what benefits them. People are rude to you. They don’t even communicate with you well. They don’t care about your emotional or mental well-being. They cause stress and it’s an abusive workplace. They can reduce your tables if they don’t like you. For hostesses they favour people and give other hostesses the better shifts and leave others out. They dont pay you your accurate money. So many times your pay is short.

Meh

Working at JOEY was a typical restaurant experience like Earls/Cactus/Local. I do feel like they are pretty harsh on servers who make little mistakes on orders, they will give you some warnings if they like you and then cut your shifts or take you off the floor if you make another. It creates a fear based culture. However as a shift leader you're expected to uphold that same standard for servers even though it's not something that's productive. There were definitely some good people, but overall there is a catty high-school type culture.

fun, hard work

must fit in with company culture, and follow their rules, they may comment on your appearance/makeup/hair/clothes to make sure you fit the mold.fast paced,

Pros

opportunity to grow

Cons

work/life balance

Subtle racism and exploitative work culture

The biggest pro in working at Joey is that your coworkers are not toxic and very collaborative. However, white staffs get hired at a way higher wage compared to minority staffs, even if they have the same amount of workload and experience. You don’t have a say to your schedules, and most likely it will be inconsistent due to the turnover rate which causes work life imbalance. Coworkers are fun, helpful and decent people overall. Management is slow to respond to anything or non-responsive. Favouritism exists here.

Good money but can be stressful. Usually pretty busy so hours can be long but everyone is pretty friendly.

Pros

Nice staff

Cons

Long hiring process

Positive co-workers, bad hours

Very inconsistent scheduling for people who don't have seniority. I've gone for months without a single shift. Currently, I average 4 hours every two weeks, which is why I am currently looking for a new job.You will learn the basics, but the training is very impromptu, and the pay is not great.

Pros

Friendly co workers

Cons

No hours, No free food, poorly planned training, Unsanitary and unsafe

Great place to work.

Super awesome managers and a very collaborative work environment. Team service is a big deal with this location and people genuinely want to see you do well.

Pros

Great tips Fun people Good food

Cons

long time on your feet high tip out percentage

Fun place to work with an amazing family

Joey Markville Restaurants is a very fun and highly energetic place to work at. If you want a job to get your food into the culinary industry or just a fun job, this is the place

good learning experience and good for the resume but terrible for mental health and HUGE scam.

terrible management, all very young and inexperienced. intimidation management tactics. everyone robbed of their money, management receives tips. good company culture and sense of family if you make the connection, but still get the feeling that everyone is totally disposable, no matter how long you have been at the company.

Pros

good experience, fun environment with coworkers

Cons

favouritism, money robbery, bad hours, labour intensive

Amazing place to work

Amazing management team and ability to move up throughout the company. Lots of acknowledgment from higher ups if you are willing to put in the work to succeed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JOEY Restaurants. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement