JOEY Restaurants Employee Reviews

A typical work day
Cook (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON22 April 2018
It was great working at Joey's Restaurant. I learned a lot, I never knew how to cook fish before, but I learned it really fast. We had a lot of fun and laughs.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Not enough hours
Education, support, camaraderie
Shift Manager and Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 April 2018
As a five year Front of House employee of the JOEY Restaurant group, and having worked at multiple other restaurants, I can confidently say that the experience I have had working at JOEY is unparalleled in its commitment to employee success. Training and development is constantly supported for management, educational resources are provided to the servers and bartenders, growth within the company is encouraged and supported, and the social intelligence that is developed by all staff is valuable for all future endeavours that they may grow towards.
Pros
Ongoing coaching, promotions from within, employee discounts, location transfers, performance based scheduling
Cons
Socially challenging, hard work, late nights
Advancement based on Performance
Senior Server (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC8 April 2018
Not your typical industry restaurant where seniority determines success and money making. I was able to work opening and closing shifts within 2 weeks of starting. Cashflow is consistent year round and management are understanding and motivating,
Fast paced engaging environment with a great team.
Day Manager / Shift Leader / Bartender (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC4 April 2018
Excellent place to work while finishing a degree. Flexible hours and room to grow within the restaurant if desired. Great training program with continuous mentorship.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Room for career growth within the company
Amazing place to work
Bartender and Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 March 2018
The staff are all very friendly. The restaurants are very well managed and kept very clean. It is a positive work environment and a place that encourages your advancement.
great people to work with
Sushi Chef (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB20 March 2018
Super cool people to work with, always challenging you to do the best work you can possibly do. Help you develop a good work ethic that sticks with you in all aspects of life.
Pros
positive environment
Cons
not enough hours during low sales
Great
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 March 2018
I had a great time i learned alot of new things. The managers were great and welcoming, it was a fast paced enviroemnt be ready to be on your feet all day !
Pros
free lunches
Cons
lots of running
Great learning environment!
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 March 2018
Lots of learning skills from this work place. Hours are sometimes cut short as it is not busy. Lots of good food to eat as well! Great learning place for people who want to leatn about cooking.
Was told I was hired then they never got back to me.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC12 February 2018
I went for an interview. I was really excited. I ended up being told I was hired what my wage would be and what station they were wanting to train me on and that they would get back to me in the next couple days to let me know my schedule as they needed to see where I could be fit in.
I was super excited to join an amazing team and have a great opportunity to work with Joey's and learn from them and advance culinary experience as I know they have a very great system in place for cooks.
Just to be told in hired. I give my notice at my current job and then never be contacted back. Even after emailing them to see what was going on with my schedule.
Very unprofessional.
This was the Joey's in Burnaby. And I was very excited to join their team as I have been working in kitchens since my very first job as a kid.

Just want to say. You don't hire someone. Tell them what wage you'll give them and that you'll get back to them with their schedule just to never contact you that again.
Official response from JOEY Restaurants
8 March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. Candidate feedback is extremely important to us and we take it very seriously.

If you’re willing to provide a few more details about your experience it would be greatly appreciated. Information such as location and dates of interview(s) help us to provide specific feedback to the team, to ensure we continue to improve!

Details can be emailed to: Careers@joeyrestaurants.com

Better to be a server
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 January 2018
As a hostess, one is forced to work long nights and handle as many responsibilities as servers, but without adequate pay. The staff, however, is both hip and friendly... if you're in the general clique. Managers, supposed resources, actively engage in staff drama and form biases. Overall, great place to eat on shift, drink after work, and generally commiserate. But, due to the reputation and image of the restaurant, the work experiences proves inherently sexist.
Fun place to work
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC26 January 2018
Great place to work. Learned a lot from my time being there and the company has invested a lot in me. Would recommend it to anyone who is looking for work
Proper Training and Flexibility With Hours
Server (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 January 2018
Very intensive training but teaches you everything you need to learn and more. Flexibility with hours and availability. Friendly work environment and attentive management.
Awesome coworkers but a lot of unecessary stress
Server and Hostess (Former Employee) –  Mayfield, AB14 December 2017
Workplace culture was overall stressful and a bit overwhelming for a serving job. Not a lot of chance for advancement as there was a lot of favoritism seen in my location.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Negative management environment
False Hopes
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 November 2017
If you are a strong employee you will not go far in this company. You have to be a good bull-shiter that can walk around pretending to be a "leader" False hopes of raises for those who actually work hard. Everyone that works the hardest makes less than those who don't . You deal with non experienced cooks all the time.
Pros
The partners aka the non management staff
Cons
Can't make commitments they make or promises. Head strung "Chefs"
Fast paced and customer experience driven
Server and Guest Service Team (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 November 2017
Fast paced work environment, high standards with a large emphasis with multitasking. Lots of knowledge to learn about food and liquor. Customer experience is the most important value within this business.
Pros
Good tips and staff discounts
Cons
Overly demanding customers
Stressful work environment and long hours
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 October 2017
This job asked too much of its employees for little pay, management and staff were good people but when it came to balancing life and work they were not the best at accommodating this.
Nice teamwork
Line Coach (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB14 October 2017
I had great days when I was working at Joeys. I would stay longer, but cooking was not my thing. I was working at kitchen for 9 years, and I can say this, Joey in Sherwood Park was my definitely number one choice.
Amazing company to work for!
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 September 2017
Amazing company to work for. As a manager you have a great work.life balance as well as work with talented and creative people in all levels. A wonderful company to be a part of!
Pros
salary, benefits, culture
Cons
non!
Zero Incentive
Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 September 2017
-Long hours for minimum wage
-Non accommodating
-lots to learn if you don't mind being payed minimum wage for maximum effort
- Pay for your own food there on shift
- No breaks
-McDonald's pays more starting than Joey does after working there for a year
Cons
Everything except co workers, Leaders are the worst, Labor Law breakers
Awesome people. Chances for promotion. Great enviroment.
Cook (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 August 2017
Gotta love working at Joeys for their uplifting settings. The people are nice and caring. Management is always there to help. Hours are flexible and training is loads of fun!
Pros
Cheap partner menu
Cons
Very busy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JOEY Restaurants. Our community is ready to answer.