JJM Construction Ltd.

JJM Construction Ltd. Employee Reviews

Canada21 reviews
Equipment in good shape very good safety program took care of small issues that arose from staff. Some in-house training for the hourly employees. A lot of out-of-town work I enjoyed my time there but they wanted me to move to Vancouver permanently from Victoria B.C could not up root my family.
Pros
Company Truck
Cons
Long hours on salary
After working for the company for only 2 weeks, I was suddenly discharged from my role in the middle of the work day without being given any reason as to why.
I was simply told to contact the human resources department for more information. Upon talking to the human resources department, even they could not provide me with an adequate explanation for the sudden termination.

All of this despite asking my supervisor if they are happy with my performance 2 days prior, and them telling me that I was doing well.
Pros
Shorter commute than previous job
Cons
No job security
They hire a bunch of people everytime they have a big project and suddenly they dismiss them as soon as the project is finished ,they don't appreciate whatever good work you do, there is not hope for advancement
Cesspool of inbred people, who feed on each other. If you fall on their bad side for any reason, start another job search. They streamlined the process of letting people go to the finest in the industry. In other words, they don't do anything to keep people. People stay with them for the money.
Pros
Money
Cons
Full of it
Great company great management team loads of room for advancement excellent opportunities for travel go big or go home attitude sky is the limit
Love what you do
Love it here Kitamat LNG site but not enough work to keep us busy now sad to say
Great Invironment to work in

It's like a Family atmosphere and we all look after eachother
No organization and do jobs 3 or 4 times. Very cheap with raises and lie to you. Promised the crew a raise and still did not happen equipment is junk or was when I worked there
Three year job in prince George good pay OT got to do many jobs.... direct deposit Foreman's we're good machines were fairly new what's a very good job...
Pros
Wages
Cons
Rain
I will love it if I can find an employer I promise if you give me a job I will work to contribute to your company's growth . when with my current company I enjoyed their team spirit
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Typical day included collecting job site timesheet and tracking the field team's hours. Tracking changes to the contract and keeping track of daily progress on the job sites. From beginning to end of closeout handover.
Pros
One project to handle and stay fully focused on
Cons
Not what I was looking for in a career
I worked for them on and off for years. It’s always a new and interesting job. I would attribute the majority of my success to all the crazy stuff you learn and do with these guys. As the Construction Manager once said, “ we work an ingnorant amount of OT... you in?” So yeah money awesome, you want to learn a lot about anything construction/marine/crane related?! Then these guys for sure. Only reason I stopped working there, to many hours... lol! Other wise I’d still be plugging along there happily!!
Pros
Lots of hours, good pay, always a new adventure, they keep newer iron around, travel around, great mix of on/off water work.
Cons
To many hours.... sometimes.
day to day routine was to assemble concrete weights for new sewer pipe to be submerged at Neck Point Nanaimo. Work around and with crane operation on a barge, Labourer duties, help unload pipe shipped to assemble site for pipe, Some days to operate small skiff around pipe and transfer workers to and from barge.
Pros
excellent salary
Cons
short contract, finished job early
I worked for JJM in 2000 -2003 at the sooke lk reservoir project
running a service truck , and fueling route

i had no issues with management or their tactics...

paychecks were on time and did not bounce at the bank

i would work for this company again if the opportunity arose
Pros
flexibility of hours
Cons
all weather outdoor, but hey?
If you interested in working for a company that is very unorganised and management doesn't care for staff but are looking for a high wage with zero job security then this is the place for you. Employees come and go like a revolving door, due to the managements poor skills and bad work environment. I highly do not recommend this company to anyone who is looking for long term work or a happy work environment.
Pros
high wages, good benefits, overtime
Cons
terrible management, bad work environment, unorganised, no room for advancement
would never suggest anybody ever work their.poor management no organisation lack of communication.most enjoyable part of the job is when i get to go home.
Really cared about there employees. Great management. Wages where really good. It was a two and half year project. Equipment was top of the line.
Extremely friendly staff, wonderful and thought full boss, and very good communication skills with the general manager Cameron. He was an excellent Micro-manager who was always open for consultation on whatever concerns you may have. Followed compliance when it came to matters concerning employee's field of expertise.
Pros
Excellent salary, tremendous management, and terrific hours.
Cons
Their contracts prohibit those who are willing to move with them, because they must hire locally.
I learned alot working for this company. I did a variety of jobs for them on two differerent projects and enjoyed all of it. I had an excellent supervisor and that made the job even better. They had a good crew to work with as well. Money was good and so were the benefits.
I would always arrive at the jobsite at least half hour before work resumed. We always had morning safety meetings and then headed to the position I was working that day. It was usually flagging for traffic and when I was supervisor I was responsible for getting the flagging crew into their positions after the safety meeting. I reported to management as required. I didn't find the job hard at all and the whole job was enjoyable.
I was connected to the job by a friend and started shortly after. A typical work day was anywhere from 10 to 14 hours long. any additional training is payed for. the benefits package is nice too. on a regular basses management would drop the ball and there would be no work for one to three days. The people I worked with were great guys, I made some friends and there always looking out to help you as contacts for work. you may get the business for the first month or so however. Replaced after three and a half months by someone willing to work for less.
Pros
awesome coworkers.
Cons
long hours, no lunch or breaks.
it was your typical environment to work at , the people were all interesting because they came from other cities,I learnt how t main tain a safe and clean work place,the hardest part of my job was keeping the floors cleaned after construction workers,I enjoyed the people i worked with the most.
Pros
experience and new surroundings
Cons
not being able to keep working there