JJ Bean Coffee Roasters

JJ Bean Coffee Roasters Employee Reviews

I love working with my coworkers

Best part is my positive co workers, if not for them i wouldn't stay here. Also some customers are nice to see. As a Baker by myself so i can work on my own pace as long as muffins are done by opening time. Also can leave as soon as I've cleaned everything

Pros

30% off from food, free coffee, awesome store managers

Cons

The leadership accountants or the warehouse managers don't even value you as a human, You're sparable to them

Fun place to work

I was lucky enough to have an amazing manager and team to work with everyday - unfortunately it isn’t like that at every store and the only downside is hearing stories from other team members that still work there that the culture has changed and managers are taking liberties. The family that run this business are lovely and you will meet the owner at some point as he often visits the stores, but some of the people that make it into a managerial role should not be in charge of other people.

Alternative and Inclusive work environment built around respect and kindness toward eachother

Customers are always friendly and satisfied. I learned a lot about culture through working with diverse individuals. I appreciate the space given to be creative/professional within the dress code. I appreciate that owner makes an effort to treat his employees as equals and to stay down to earth and humble. I appreciate the room for growth within the company. I enjoy and have pride in selling good quality products that are ethically sourced and wholesome. I enjoy the intimacy that the coffee shop provides to welcome regular and new customers alike. I enjoy the minimal restrictions on creativity for the employees in terms of appropriate music and work attire selections. I enjoy the inclusive atmosphere that JJ bean emits; it was the reason I was always attracted to the coffee shop and always wanted to work there; the employees were always so kind, down to earth, and attentive.

Poor Working Conditions

Management was absolutely terrible, part-time worker change over was high mainly due to the chaos of upper-level management. Coworkers were the only reason I kept working there as long as I did.

Family

The workload was insane some days and sometimes the team would start to falter and become less than friendly with each other but somehow most the time we would overcome this and support each other. I met some amazing people there.

It depends on the location

I worked at multiple locations. some were fantastic and had wonderful supportive managers that ran their store well and appreciated their staff. and some didn’t. I worked for a while at two that didn’t. If you like coffee it’s a great place to learn lots. You get free drinks and day old pastries/wraps, and coffee beans which is a bonus. Overall a good company with good ethics but the enjoyment of the job depends on which location you’re at, how well you handle stress, and if your manager treats you like a human being or not.

Pros

free day olds, you’ll make friends, free coffee

Cons

stressful, some bad management, early mornings

Strong team, good work

JJ Bean is an amazing place to work because of the team spirit that’s constantly displayed. However, it didn’t appear to be genuine. I appreciated the dedication of putting in an honest days work, but minimum wage is offensive, especially considering the hours and education to be in this industry. The company itself has amazing benefits that were promoted. Lastly, the management style is concerningly weak. The leadership was minimal, and rather petulant. Other employees outshone the management by a landslide in more ways than one. The hardest part of the job was also the easiest. Working in a team environment without cohesion and management teaches a person to be completely self motivated and exceedingly organized. I cannot thank the company enough for giving me the opportunity to develop and learn in this manner.

Pros

All the coffee you can drink

Cons

Paid min wage for max responsibility

good

Great culture and great place to work to further your knowledge in coffee. Like minded people and fun environment. You get standard benefits and is also the highest paying café in the Vancouver region.

standard barista job

Pretty standard cafe job but with an intense emphasis on quality. Good staff but turmoil within upper management at Toronto branch brought down morale at the barista level.

Great Coworkers

I enjoyed working at JJ Bean, the culture at my location was great. Everybody was really down to earth and friendly. Most of our customers were regulars, which made it easy to get to know people and care about your work.

Great environment. opportunities to learn and advance.

JJ Bean was a great place to work. It always had a friendly atmosphere with lovely people and complimentary coffee, which was one of the great employee perks. The job was often physically demanding, but very rewarding intellectually. There was always a challenge and helpful management 24/7.

Fun

It was a great job. Long hours but made some great connections. Management t didn’t really listen and the company was a little biased but over all a good work experience.

all work with way to much pressure on those willing to step up and take it on

great place for a long time, after a while it gets to be to much of the same day after day so with the pay not going up its hard to stay around for a long time

Pros

never run out of work

Cons

no overtime

A content employee

One can apply for the in-store barista & baker positions without no prior experience: as i was hired, i had neither professional nor personal experience in baking at all. I believe what the hiring manager/supervisor looks for as the most important in a candidate are an earnest attitude, keenness to learn, eagerness to grow with the company, and of course, ideally, potential longevity of employment. Although it is a 'chain coffee shop' and has recently expanded to beyond Vancouver, it remains a chiefly local business and it seems to me that all the locations are substantially interconnected as though we are all in one big family. At the location where i work, all of us -- the baristas, bakers, supervisors and the store manager -- work and get along very well with each other. I don't feel any hierarchy or work politics, but rather everyone tries to help each other out to get the works done and get the place running as smoothly as possible. But it's constantly a very busy location and i do find it difficult to finish all my work without the regular work hours. As such, overtime is permissible, and is properly compensated. I feel appreciated as i am entrusted to do my work with much autonomy, where i get to make certain daily decisions (e.g. what & how many to bake, whether i think a baked item is good enough to sell, etc.) chiefly on my own. Meanwhile, i appreciate being given feedback and being able to seek advice whenever needed from the head bakers/managers. These help me improve and flourish, and in fact inspire me to pursue an ongoing career in baking. There is -

Pros

Autonomy at work; Great collegial environment.

Cons

Physical fatigue at times due to amount of work.

Fun, great opportunities for advancement, awesome food

JJ has great opportunities for advancement and managers are encouraging and caring. If you are willing to give it time and a bit of dedication the opportunities for advancement are great.

Pros

Amazing Free coffee

Cons

Mostly located in Vancouver with few other location outside.

Welcoming and extraordinary work place.

In the past I have been working up to 5 different cafes since I was 15 years old. It wasn't till I started with JJ Bean Coffee Roasters in False Creek. Did I appreciate coffee and customer satisfaction. JJBean really makes you a part of the family, not only are the benefits outstanding, the team players you work with are truly genuine.

JJ Bean

I worked for this growing coffee roasting company in Vancouver, B.C. for many years and I loved it! It was really fun and rewarding to be part of a company in its early stages of growth - they are now THE coffee spot to go to in Vancouver. I left the job to move to Seattle.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JJ Bean Coffee Roasters. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8Job security/advancement