Jean Machine Employee Reviews

A fun work place with okay hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 January 2019
Some days the hours were not great but most of the employees were fun to work with. It was a great opportunity to work there and a great we all tried our best.
Fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 January 2019
This was my first experience in management, working as an assistant manager. I received a lot of training and positive feedback and encouragement. It was fun working there, but advancement was rarely available.
Toxic Environment
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON25 November 2018
The manager displays extremely poor professionalism while on the job by abusing the company phone, taking long lunch breaks, gossiping about other staff, refusing to serve customers, etc... It was a difficult experience working there since everything I saw and heard was against my values as a person. I ended up contacting HR after exchanging words with the manager about my concerns.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Management. Toxic environment.
Love working here! Fun environment and great product!
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON1 November 2018
Retail is retail. Lots of negative comments out there but I love working for Jean Machine. Product is great, management is fun to work for and company cares about training.
Best retail place I’ve worked for l:)
Pros
Love the clothes and great team environment
Cons
Don’t send all product to each location.
Competitive and fast-paced work environment.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON30 October 2018
A typical day at Jean Machine as a sales associate would consist of maintaining the organization of the store. This ranges from simply restocking products to ensuring the sales floor is kept up to perfection. Meeting daily sales quotas were crucial as well as ensuring to upsell focus items.
Pros
50% off for employees.
Cons
Management is uptight.
Easy job, bad management
Sales Associate & Part Time Key Holder (Current Employee) –  London, ON14 September 2018
Not horrible, not amazing. Typical day involved stock and helping customers. Good training on proper fits, too bad the customers dont care and buy whatever, then complain it doesnt fit right lol
Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON10 September 2018
-Daily customer interaction/building relationship/honesty
-Continuous learning
-Product Knowledge
-Inventory (customer trends/product popularity)
-Company strategie (reduce stock loss while/providing recommendations to increase store profit)
Pros
Training/Product knowledge
Cons
Having to wear the most up to date products continuously ( minimum wage job)
Branded Clothing
Acting Assistant Manager/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON7 July 2018
Management is horrible.

Overall wonderful place to work
Full of diversity
Options to move up in the company
As acting assistant I was involved in paperwork and observed company numbers including targets, KPI's (Key Performance Indicators) and head office information
As a key holder I was responsible for banking, auditing, opening and closing
Family Environment
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 April 2018
Family feel with a great loyal group of members throughout the company. Unfortunately little room for advancement because people rarely leave (some there for 20+ years). Pay/bonus structure is low in comparison to other retailers.
poor management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 March 2018
Verbally abusive and explosive manager. Would berate employees in front of customers. Worst working experience of my life. It's unfortunate because the rest of the team was great.
personal review
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 January 2018
I personally didn't like working for this company at all , it wasn't organized at all every location is different I still know people that work at certain locations but I guess you'll find out for yourself.
terrible workplace, worse management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON24 November 2017
I worked here for a while under a manager that was extremely unprofessional.

lots of double standards, manager can do whatever they want (including sitting in the back room on their phone or go shopping in the mall during their shift) and staff gets rude comments all the time, sometimes talking about customers being too fat or ugly for their clothes after they leave (even when they buy) noticed a lot of racist comments too. definitely avoid this place!
Pros
Cons
bad management, low pay
Your hard work isn't valued
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 October 2017
Company always values money before their staff. Certain locations get ignored from HO and only big city locations get proper product allocation.

No longer a family run company.

Company slogan is to be the first choice for high quality designer goods, yet sells a lot of low quality items from china.
Great Merchandise
Supervisor/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON3 August 2017
When working at jean machine you truly begin to appreciate fashion. The cloths are great quality and there's nothing better than making a man or women feel great in their own skin.
Pros
Great Cloths
Cons
Slower Traffic
Worst company ever
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON31 July 2017
Pay everyone same wages management or not, over-time with no over-time pay, too cheap to hire staff so they make you work 7 days a week and usually open to closes, when your in store you have no help or support from head office they turn off their phones and don't respond to emails.. Horrible horrible company
Very busy
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON25 May 2017
store was located in a school city, so traffic was pretty good. High turn over rate.

Pretty straight forward working environment, with some amazing co workers.
Finally a great manager
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON21 May 2017
I work for Jean Machine and I can finally say the store is in great hands. I work with a manager they hired and she cares about helping us to succeed. I have and worked with a lot of manager for this location and so far this one has the experience to run a store properly. No one else cared and the company didn't care who ran it. I can finally see good things for this store. She is also very good dealing with all the angry customers we have.
Pros
Great boss. Love to come to work
Cons
not enough hours
Chill job
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON20 May 2017
Cool people, easy job, straight forwards lots of jeans and brands to memorize and how each fits but yeah it's not bad. Found a new and better job so u unfortunately had to quit, other than that it's a good part time job if you're just looking
Pros
Discounts, friends
Cons
Standing all day, nothing else really
Not a great work enviorment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 May 2017
The management with JM is very weak. Hours were constantly cut and expectations keep rising. The store manager would constantly pander to favourites while the rest of the employees are looked down on.
Pros
No pros
Cons
everything is a con
Good atmosphere - Heavy Sales
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  North York, ON8 April 2017
Overall a good place to work; some managers were a little tough while others were a little more lenient which made it a little difficult when helping out at other locations. Sales associates received the lowest discount which was frustrating due to the fact that the sales associates have to wear the product in season; for someone not receiving many hours this makes it difficult to purchase clothing because of the high prices; meanwhile head office sits at the warehouse all day and get 50% off which is double the discount sales associate receive.
Pros
50% off once every season
Cons
most of the time short staffed so you're overworking and constantly covering other employees shifts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jean Machine. Our community is ready to answer.