JBS Food Canada ULC Employee Reviews

Overall ins and out of JBS
General Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Brooks, AB30 September 2018
I worked in JBS for 5 years and here are some of my thoughts. I will not waste time talking about work environment as its stressful as every other company.

1- HR :

Helpless and useless in both fronts for unionized deals and for its management employees.They are restricted to their offices and no one trusts them anymore.HR loves to keep doing family functions yearly which is only good thing. Too many negative politics as it is ruled by one race mostly and they love to gossip about others unprofessionally.

2- SLAUGHTER : OPERATIONS :

If you are applying for management position in slaughter operations then you will always be directed what is right and how should you work. Also it depends on your personality trait that you can survive a month, an year or 10 years by accepting what goes on there.You will not be able to apply own thoughts and experiences. If you are applying for any hourly job then you are the king and can work based on union rules amd no one can dare disturb you.

3- ENGINEERING : SLAUGHTER/ RENDERING / PROCESSING :

Applying for management position then you will again be in a situation to get named for something you wont do. Getting fired at mangement positions is as simple as abc. As the team work concept exsists ONLY in books and meetings. Lazy management to make decisions. Engineering will be responsible for all downtimes without any root cause analysis.If you are for hourly position there then go get it as union covers all your rights. Imagine the figures talk about working at 99 % efficiency and after a few days suddenly we used to get
  more... million dollar claims and charged to engineering deficiencies. You got the point right.

5- PROCESSING / FAB FLOOR OPERATIONS :

It is laborous job in processing lifting heavy loads , stretching, bending etc yet it is most managed well part of plant
They atleast give you chance to share thoughts and show your skills.

6- SAFETY :

This does exist in books and policies. Safety personal gets fired very frequently for any incidents and no root causes done. Many management personnel get fired also based on safety issues yet the problems where never looked at to get resolved. You will need to go to 10 desks ad ask many times getting changes approved.

Obviously while working in such a dynamic environment , the pressure is all about production but not about how they achieve it.

If you are a person who loves to get paid high for small time span and then go ahead, yet keep in mind that BROOKS is a small town and if you get fired from JBS then you will need to move out of city finding work based on experience .( other than McDonald's, walmart part time jobs etc )
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long hours, mismanagement, blame game, too short job span, Hr
stressful work environment
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Brooks, AB20 September 2018
line supervisors have very little people skills. added with so much diversity which makes communication very difficult resulting in misunderstanding and oftentimes leading to arguments.
Cons
very long hours
Productive and multicultural workplace.
Trayformer Operator (Current Employee) –  Brooks, AB17 September 2018
Production shifts are 8 hours a day. Start and finish times are staggered through each department. Two 15 minutes breaks and one half hour break per shift. There is always something new to learn if you want to learn. Management is always close by when needed. It is a very multicultural environment.
safety training course
Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Brooks, AB6 September 2018
Working at meat processing company 5 days a week 8 hour's a day,morning schedule from 5:30 am to 2;30 pm,,i love to work and i'm happy to work with different people,,nothing can say any bad thing's in each company i have worked,,,for me there is difficult in the job if you trust yourself and trust co-worker it's called team work,and doing team work will result a verygood and happy performance...
Pros
free sanck's
Cons
late break
Stable and fair company
Automation/IT Technician (Former Employee) –  CA24 July 2018
Salary is very fair according to responsibility and scope of work. Team members are great and friendly. Management is well organized. So much to explore and learn from company operations.
you have to work hard for them even its not your job
Jaw bone meat cutter or trimmer (Former Employee) –  Brooks, AB20 July 2018
I work well,but sometimes they assign me alone for the job of 2 people so sad but I did what they want,i need to be honest to them that I cant work alone for the job of 2 people,they always have a favorate,some supervisor if they like the worker they give her a light job but I dont care,slaughter is very hot,,they have more fan but still hot,very hard time happened to me when no one like to do then I am they one they choose to remain working while other go home because of ammonia..we are 2 people stay inside that time we need to throw the heads remaining coz of ammonia,when I work alone so hard I have to make it fast so fast...management don't care they people,they want more meat to save and sell..no enjoyment just work and work,my second job is ok as a cleaner...they want me to go back but the salary is only 15$ per hour no benefits so better find a high salary with benefits,thank you
Pros
it depend from the company
Cons
12 hours
excellent
Maintenance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brooks, AB6 July 2018
When I came to Canada this is my first Job as a Clerk. I help me motivate to get along with co worker and deals with maintenance place. learning how to do task by myself and with the supervision of my manager
Pros
good wage
Cons
busy people
extremely physical work with long hours
palletizer (Former Employee) –  Brooks, AB22 May 2018
physically challenging and required awareness and extreme caution due to heavy forklift traffic hardest part of the job was long hours and very little time to eat and or take a quick break when your body is exhausted. most enjoyable part of the job was the benefits they took good care of you as a member of their company
Productive teamwork
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brooks, AB18 May 2018
-career growth and better teamwork
-better communication from upper to lower management

-safety work place
-good culture and environment
-prioritized food and human safety
Pros
good benefits and incentives
Cons
Lot of things to do if your are willing.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brooks, AB17 May 2018
Learnt a lot at this job. Lot of mechanical work to do if you are willing. You work with Boilers for steam production and Ammonia for refrigeration and also dealing with people from different department.
Pros
7 days on and 7 days off.
Cons
12 hours shift some time it is tiring.
terrible work place environment / culture
Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooks, AB1 March 2018
Ruled by a dictator and fear is their only means of motivating. Do not value differing opinions If you disagree with management, you will be terminated without warning or cause. Very toxic work environment - only work here if you have no other options. STAY AWAY....
Pros
steady work as long as you can agree with management
Cons
dictatorship / do not value open discussion / very weak senior management team
Highly organized and independent; able to effectively coordinate tasks to accomplish projects with timeliness and creativity.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brooks, AB13 February 2018
enjoyed every aspect of working for JBS Foods. amazing management and lots of room for advancement. great people that work as a team, who really love and care about their careers, as well as customers. everyday I went to work I felt good knowing we do quality work everyday. hours are long, but the pay is very good.
Oportunidad de crecimiento
Management Trainee Program (Former Employee) –  Brooks Alberta Canada6 February 2018
Conociendo las áreas de oportunidades de mejora en la industria de la proteína animal, desarrollando procesos de mejora continua (PDCAs) relacionados a la industria de la carne
team effort and long term employment
Maintenance Supervisor and lead hand (Former Employee) –  Brooks, AB6 February 2018
very dependable pay schedual, every two weeks, go to work do your job and come home. safety is very important factor at JBS. management will ask or find out and safety related questions.
Pros
rrsp match program
Cons
very cold or very hot areas.
Meat producer number one in Canada
HACCP Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brooks, AB20 January 2018
Strong and huge company, killing about 4000 heads per 2 shifts daily. One of the biggest meat producer companies in the world with more than 3000 employees.
Racist and degradation place to work
Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  Brooks, AB2 August 2017
Management are racist (they hate people) who aren't black or Muslim most of the team use a pro quo harassment,
learn to don"t trust on no one don"t try to improve any, no to try to thrive in the company managers are way to scared to any new idea, just the managers can think.
The manager has a business renting houses and promoting people in exchange
Pros
Cons
insecure, racist, harassment verbal physical, no good trainee, no using ergonomics
Busy place
crayovac operator (Current Employee) –  Brooks, AB30 July 2017
Busy place lots of people others are busy others are taking time waiting for going home without nothing to do. Jbs management is wasting money for those not really hard worker.
Pros
No free
Cons
Long hours to stand and cold place in processing
All employees avails 50% to the JBS leisure center
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brooks, AB13 July 2017
A hard work everyday, dealing with different people with different cultures. i have learned to take ownership at work, the company consist of 2,500 workers in total including the management employees. The management is focused on the workers & food safety to provide a better outcome of their company.The hardest part from working in JBS is the work environment, if you work at the kill floor will be so hot especially on summer time and cold if you work at the processing side. The most enjoyable part of the job is your working with the biggest beef company in the world with pride.
Pros
Complete benefits and high wage
Cons
Hot & cold working environment
fast paced workplace
Saw Operator (Former Employee) –  Brooks, AB27 June 2017
learned how to perform chuck roll cuts , chuck bone cuts , drop chuck , and run both chuck saws. safety was a very big part of the work day learned how to handle knives in a crowded area.
Challenging
Production Worker/Meat Cutter/debonner (Former Employee) –  Brooks, AB16 May 2017
I learned many things and I am very thankful working in JBS.
also developed camaraderie, work a a team.
Built my self as a total person and strong determination

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JBS Food Canada ULC. Our community is ready to answer.

JBS Food Canada ULC Reviews by Location