Jansport Employee Reviews

Wonderful people to work with
Executive Assistant to the President (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CA21 October 2018
JanSport is family. They have been a part of my life for 15 years and a big reason is that they are collaborative and fun. We all work towards a common goal and everyone is there to participate. If the company were not moving out of State, I would not be seeking a new job.
Pros
VF Outdoor Discounts, casual atmosphere
Cons
Company is moving to the Denver area
JanSport
IMPORT SOURCING MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WI9 July 2018
Amazing company culture, they offered on-site daycare a huge win for a new family. offered plenty of opportunities to ravel within USA and abroad. Fantastic benefits including bring your pet to work day.
Jansport
Stager (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WI7 June 2018
It was a decent place to work for a production job, everyone was willing to help when it was needed. Hr and supervisors were great at helping as much as they could. But the factory is closed now.
good place to get a job
Printer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WI4 April 2018
if you need a job and like to work at a fast environment Jannsport is a good place to start. they have decent benefits and you defensively get the chance to work overtime.
Pros
paid breaks
Cons
mandatory overtime
I think the offices are still operational?
Ink Technician/Harley Staging/JanSport Staging (Former Employee) –  Grand Chute, WI19 March 2018
At the time of writing this, the JanSport factory recently closed. I have no idea if the operations were relocated, or if the factory part of the building simply sits dormant but still with all of the equipment.
Driving by the other day, I saw cars in the parking lot and the front (offices) portion of the building still appears operational. I only worked in the factory, so I have no information about the office culture.
Best company to work for
Receptionist/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WI6 January 2018
Our team would have coffee at our desk and discuss what we needed to accomplish that day, To make our sales reps happy and get the orders filled, that they needed. Could not ask for a better manager, she was fair helpful and ready to steep in if you needed help.
find the product to fill the order for our reps.
When I started as JanSpot we had 125 employs an when I retired 13 years later there were over 300. If you were lucky to get your foot in the door you stayed until you retired. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about JanSport.
Pros
Excelent company to work for
Cons
I can't think of anything
Good experience
Merchandising and Events (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WI29 December 2017
Loved the time I worked there. It was a very competitive market and the company did some pretty amazing things to keep us competitive. I enjoyed my manager as well.
Good
Fold and Pack (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WI26 December 2017
Very warm, sometimes slow machines and sometimes they were fast, it all depended on the order and whether it was shirt or pants that were being printed on. Attention to detail was a must at this place!
Cons
Extremely warm, slower paced
Great people and workout equipments
Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WI5 December 2017
Typical day of work would include talking to customers, filing warranty replacements, and calling customers back.
Required skills for team communication and computer skills.
Management was well organized and each section has different teams where they also come together and communicate.
It can become fast pace depending on the say; however, it is decent and everyone helps each other within their team.
Hardest part of the job would be continuously speaking on the phone.
Most enjoyable part would be having workout equipment for use during breaks and coworkers are great.
Pros
Workout equipments
Cons
No benefits
worked with good people
printer (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WI9 November 2017
Jansport was pretty balanced with bad days of printing, where nothing went together. the good days everything worked. i learned training can be a pain.
Pros
was fun to work there
Cons
sometimes overtime would never stop
About Jansport
Fold and packer (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WI23 October 2017
Place was nice to work, however they are closed, and went out of business. They gave the employees a severance pay for a couple of weeks to live on before having to collect unemployment benefits if we where unable to find employment.
Backpacks
General Warehouse Processor (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Everett, WA12 October 2017
I worked here for 3 months one summer. It was a seasonal job. i enjoyed the relaxed warehouse environment. I don't remember a whole lot but there were lots and lots of backpacks.
a great company to work for hate to see it close
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WI1 August 2017
a great place to work with lots of perks that I will miss lots of overtime if you choose to work it but its not mandatory the people are great to work with
Pros
they buy you lunch when it a special occasion for the company
Cons
no raises
Jansport was a fun place to work. I would not be leaving if they were staying in business
Production Artist (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WI13 July 2017
Jansport was a fun face-paced place to work. I would not be leaving if the company was not going out of business. WE had a very relaxed dress code. Being comfortable at work makes it easier to focus and get more work done.
Pros
fast-paced, but relaxed
Cons
it is closing
Challenging and area for career growth
Manufacturing Associate (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WI27 June 2017
Come in and get an order lined up and make sure the quality is the best it can be. I've learned the importance of working at an efficient pace while still producing a quality product. The management is always willing to help its employees with line ups and making sure they are making a great product. The workplace is very friendly and relaxing. The hardest part of the job would have to be getting a big order to line up. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I get to work with and the new opportunities that came with job growth.
Pros
Great Coworkers and benefits
Cons
Spend a lot of time standing in one spot
Family like environment
Production Art/Digitizer (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WI22 June 2017
I have met many people here. We consider ourselves like family to each other. I love the job I do but my last day is September 29th due to corporate closing the doors. I have been here for 30 years and really hate to see this happen. Many memories and close friends. I have learned a lot about this place by making myself versatile to other areas of the business. Always willing to help where they need me.
Pros
free lunches, bonus at beginning of year
Cons
cloising doors on many employees
Hot unsafe work environment
Stager (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WI8 February 2017
Very hot during the summer and countless days of overtime. Sometimes months in a row with only a single day off. The incentive program is a total joke and management blatantly shows favoritism. In the slow times of the year you have no gauantee where you'll be working. Very little stability they like to threaten you with your job. Not a good place to work.
Pros
Some of the people are very nice
Cons
Terrible management
Great place to work!!!
Production Artist (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WI20 January 2017
I love working a JanSport as a Production Artist for the past 10 years. It is a very laid back & flexible department to work in. We have a strong team that works great together.
Pros
Casual dress code (jeans & sweatshirt)
Cons
Old computers
Would not recommend for the long term
Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WI25 June 2016
JanSport used to be a good place to work and even build a career, but no more. The company who owns the JanSport brand, VF Corp, is a publicly traded fortune 500 company with an international presence. Translation: operations are driven by stockholder greed.

VF Corp has become so huge that, IMO, the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. Culture is terrible - employees pitted against each other, wages and benefits being slashed, no opportunities for advancement, huge turnover problem (hint: notice how often you see job ads for VF Corp or JanSport? they like to say it's "due to growth" but don't believe it.)

Office operations have turned into a giant call center operation, employing entry level individuals and paying them less and less every year. I started at $15/hour nearly ten years ago and I hear they are now starting people at $12/hour or less.

As far as the plant goes, you couldn't pay me enough to work there. Other reviewers are correct: unrealistic goals, a ton of lazy coworkers, crazy overtime followed by layoffs, terrible managers who play favorites and play games, unsafe working conditions (I remember hearing ambulances called 3-5 times every summer when heat conditions would get so bad workers would pass out.)
Very nice and helpful people work there.
Customer Service - Call Center (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WI9 June 2016
Everybody I worked with there was very nice and helpful when ever I had a question. They all shared their family stories to make you feel welcome there.
Pros
Lots of food days
Cons
The hours I worked