Jacobs Employee Reviews

Found 271 reviews matching the search See all 2,815 reviews
Buddy system
Steamfitter/Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB21 February 2019
When I started my apprenticeship I was told from an older veteran “stay away from Jacobs & stay away from PCL” now I see why. After 11 years of not visiting Shell Scotford I’d decided to revisit as my workplace. Need be reminded as a 1st year apprentice I’d never forget my first job & it left a lasting impression on me it was the best. Well not Jacobs sincerely I wish I never met anyone from there. My advice be prepared to to be the sucker because of your not blowing smoke up somebody you won’t have a job. Let me remind they will let you know real soon that no outsiders are welcome. Forget about brother hood forget about unity that ain’t happening here. If they don’t like you they’ll find a reason to get rid of you. Oh & don’t forget to learn there loto system or flag & tags. But not that it matters if you conduct the flags & tags accordingly and hand them in to your foreman like your supposed too they’ll just lose them. Because they don’t like you. I’ve seen it done to some real stand up guys (brothers if you will). Also they are very tender hearted here so don’t hurt any feelings because they’ll pipeline that he said she said stuff right back to their superiors so look out the cut throat lives here.
Pros
Wages
Cons
Unfair
Structural Welder (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, AB12 February 2019
Some down time at the start of the job but once we got going we where busy. But the jobs dont last long maybe 3 weeks at the most. The people where good to work with and it was always that way.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
The jobs dont last long.
culture very caustic
Shutdown Field HSE Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB10 February 2019
great wages, lots of hours. Rhey not worried how you feel, whether you happy or not. get it done. mostly it a seen but not heard type of mentality. from what I saw was all reactionary not much happened proactively. Supervision was okay, the culture created was a kill or be killed type of mind set.
nice people
Syncrude B-Welder (Former Employee) –  syncrude, Irving refineries23 January 2019
nice job nice people.
really enjoyed my work experience with Jacobs.
it's almost same working schedules in fort mac,
and pretty much same wage and same people.
but it was not bad.
Well organized and productive quality department
QC @ fall TA (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB23 January 2019
Job had excellent planning to ensure there were no stalls during TA. Well organized and productive quality department, leadership was good at keeping workers moral and production high, while keeping safety and quality priority number one.
Productive company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB11 January 2019
Excellent company to work for. Room for learning and growth. Respect for there employees. As an employee you feel like you matter and are apart of a Team
Poor Management - Good people
Desktop Architect - SCCM administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 January 2019
IT management has gone way down hill and the best have left. Too bad, was a great company in the past. If they recruit a new IT management team then might improve
Look for work else where
Journeyman Steamfitter (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 January 2019
probably the worst company I've ever worked for, expect to get played like a fiddle and don't expect to get treated like a normal human being. They will constantly ask you to do them favors but the moment you need something from them its a huge issue or they just lay you off. They will also sell you out without thinking twice if there is any dispute between you and the contract holder so expect a lay off if you don't like working unsafe.
Pros
most of the time they got my pay cheque right
Cons
most of the time they got my pay cheque right
Management was good, as were the people
Maintenance Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Ft. McMurray, AB3 January 2019
Was hard work, but we were constantly busy and given challenging tasks (which I enjoy). Pay was good, and work environment was overall positive. Would work for again.
Productive workplace working closely with in house personnel.
Pipefitter (Current Employee) –  Akzo Nobel / Neurion17 December 2018
Working with in house personnel was an advantage. All the personnel at the complex were easy to get along with. Had some difficulties due to contract issues. All in all was a good place to work. The best part was living so close to the complex. It made it easy when I was on call.
Pros
Lunch was paid for from time to time. Some of the necessary tools were provided for by the complex.
Cons
Health care was very expensive. Some of the PPE was hard to get ahold of.

Want to know more about Jacobs?

Ask a question
good
Senior Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 December 2018
good place to work, good salary, learn a lot, team sprit, international week is very fun, good for young engineer growing, safety first and behind zero
good
Summary
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 December 2018
Jacobs is one of the larges engineering companies in the world. I was there for a short time - at the time they went through a large restructuring of operations.
cold and all about the money
Senior Structural Designer/Checker/Co-Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 December 2018
They hire you when they need you and get rid of you when they can. The workshare program is very bad for morale and for the client. Employee told me that if a building fell down due to incompetence of workshare, it would be the responsbiility of the stamping engineer and Jacobs would be off the hook. Not a nice place to work.
Horrible
Junior Field Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Red Deer County, AB30 November 2018
It started out good. But didn't take long for the favoritism came out and if they like you its great. Otherwise my experience has been that it is ahorrible company, and no room for advancement.
Discrimination in hiring
Mechanical Engineer in Training (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 November 2018
Engineering department supervisors hire their friends or people of the same origin country as them. One department in particular only hires same ethnicity as the managers. Why Canadians allow caste system hiring in Canada is beyond me
Pros
nicer office
Cons
will fire you for their friends
a joke when it comes to safety and if you say something- lay-off
Electrician Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB7 November 2018
JACOBS Jokers and Clowns On Big Shutdowns
A total fugase on safety , friends of friends who care nothing about safety... in my opinion.
i learned that if you report an incident you get laid-off. After a safety stand down of 3 days , the very next day a cut=off piece of pipe fell approx. 30' landing beside our access to lower deck under process cooling fans, 3 days after reporting it I was laid-off.
good to work for
B-pressure Welder (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 November 2018
worked for jacobs for 7 months they were good to work for. they care about safety and getting the job done right the first time. I would recommend jacobs to work for
Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Calgary23 October 2018
Good leadership with a collaborative team environment. Wonderful supervisors who were great mentors. The supportive team always seeking to lift everyone up.
Pros
Flexible hours and EDO's
Great Company Cullture
Senior Buyer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 October 2018
Jacobs had a great culture in improving its employees and projects. Always having lessons learned, improving systems, and flexible hours for its employees. I highly recommend this company.
Pros
Gym, Games Room, Meditation, Prayer Room, Paid for some education
Cons
May move from project to project but that is expected in any EPC
Good environment for learning, good safety culture
Field Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Belle Plaine, SK22 October 2018
Worked for Jacobs for several years in a mine environment. Good procedures and basic overall safety culture. Had a good understanding of helping workers maintain a good work/life balance. Was good to deal with multiple trades on the same work site.
Pros
Good wages, strong safety culture
Cons
Short term

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jacobs. Our community is ready to answer.

51K