Jack Astor's Employee Reviews

fun job
Bartender (Former Employee) –  london on11 August 2018
great place to meet lots of people and have a good time while making good money. lots of room to move around in the company if your looking to move up
Pros
good money
Great Working Atmosphere
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 August 2018
Interactive support with clientelle, casual attire days when staff would dress to support their favourite sports teams. Good comaraderie among the line staff, worked well as a team, supported each other when the going got rough.
Pros
Great Shift, good management
Cons
Super fast paced, sometimes chaotic and tiring
Good for those looking to make their own schedule.
HOSTESS (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 August 2018
Good for those who like to make their own schedule with relatively flexible hours. Always busy during peak times, so good if you enjoy a fast pace environment.
great learning experience
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 July 2018
great organization for following food and beverage spec.
very systemized and controlled, great company to work for.
training program is on point and very informative.
Fun workplace, poor management
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 July 2018
A typical day at Jack Astors was filled with strict rules on table placement, guest satisfaction, etc. If something went wrong, people wanted someone to blame. If you played any part in the bad outcome of a situation, you would be yelled at. Once got yelled at because I sat guests at the wrong table.
Pros
Food discount
Cons
Management sucks
Professional Kitchen, less professional workers
PREP COOK/LINE COOK (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON28 July 2018
When I worked here I was put to the test, I had to experience very heavy rush periods with little to no training only to be pushed to the side when I wanted to learn. After eventually learning, the growth was very slow, I tried to show interest in other fields of the job and that I was interested in doing other positions but I was left with a "Maybe one day" or "If everybody is sick you can jump in"
Pros
The team is great
Cons
The job is hard, the hours are long, you cannot make your own lunch, you don't have the opportunity to obtain new skills after training
Comfortable and fast paced environment
F.O.H Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 July 2018
I'm a fast paced worker no matter the environment, however a warm environment is always my preference, and Jack Astor's was an especially comfortable place to work, this occupation suited me perfectly
Pros
employee discount
Cons
late night hours
great staff but the people at head office need a reality check
Front of House Manager (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON18 July 2018
Lots of fun on the store level but when you start dealing with people outside of the store, you start talking to people who don't know what a restaurant is and just know money.
fun staff, great experience
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 July 2018
jack astors was a really great place tot work at, the experience and skills that you learn really do stay with you for a long time. work rate was well but soon after did take a toll.
Pros
staff, pay, work rate
Cons
support, hours
Fun place to work !
Bartender/Cocktailer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 July 2018
Had great standards and treated their employees well. My employer looked out for me and treated me with respect. I would recommend to work here to anyone.
average chain restaurant
SERVER (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON10 July 2018
A good place to work with good training. if you are into the corporate chain restaurant workplace then this is probably a great fit for you and your friends
Jack Astor's
Server (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 June 2018
The fellow team mates were amazing to work with! Lots of laughs but when the busy rushes came it was heads down and focusing on accuracy and timeliness!
Pros
Positive team mates
Cons
Mandatory Lululemon uniforms that you had to pay for
Was not worth my time.
PANTRY COOK (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 June 2018
A bunch of people were hired on upon the open of this location and a lot of us were excited as we were hired full time with benefits at six months. Sure enough when we hit about the 5 month mark they canned everyone's hours. They never had enough hours for everyone and really started cutting people. I once went 7 weeks without hours. Regardless, people deserve better than this place. Even both the Assistant Kitchen Managers left.
Déjà vu mieux.
Cuisinier (Former Employee) –  Boisbriand, QC21 June 2018
Ayant travaillé au St-Hubert avant, je me rends compte des choses que les patrons laissent passer.
Fun Job but hard
Fry Cook, Mississauga (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 June 2018
Is a very fun job if you like food but it takes a toll on a person, as it is physically demanding as well as mentally by constantly being busy by customers
Worst work environment
server (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON14 June 2018
One positive note they do train new employees well.
Other than that i did not find anything else pleasant working at that company. They base advancements on personal relationships and not by work progress or effort. Management is quite lost when it comes to following protocol. I have worked many restaurant jobs and this was by far the worst place i've ever worked.
Pros
many opportunities to pick up shifts
Cons
Very long hours, management does care of the well-being of staff
Over-worked and bad job culture
Dishwasher/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON14 June 2018
Consistently expected to work 11-12 hour shifts with no breaks. Frequently scheduled for another very long shift less than 12 hours after completing one. The culture of the workplace is horrible, with people loudly swearing and making sexist, racist, homophobic, etc. comments and jokes. Entire conversations were had in the kitchen about horribly offensive subjects with management doing nothing to deter it and frequently joining in. Often was unable to leave until about 3-4am.
Amazing place to work
Prep Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON7 June 2018
My days were fantastic as long as you know what you're doing and don't slack off. I have put a lot of effort here and I got rewarded for it. Managers really pay attention to how you perform. The people here are amazing and wouldn't mind working here again sometime.
Not a good place to work.
Fry Cook (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON1 June 2018
Had managers lash out on me for things that were not my fault, co-workers were not as sanitary as you think they should be and a lot of vulgar language used when customers were not too far away
Don't Work Here
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 May 2018
Unless you like being forced to bend over backwards to cover for sub-par management, and for minimum wage no less, I suggest going elsewhere. Kitchen can run hour + chit times.
Pros
Good Food
Cons
Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jack Astor's. Our community is ready to answer.