Jack Astor's Employee Reviews

Energetic
Pantry / Fry Cook (Former Employee) –  Whitby11 March 2019
Lots room for growth. At times we needed lineancy which was given. Job environmentry cozy, extra curriculars give the opportunity to know management for what and who they really are.
Great workplace, amazing people
Server/Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 March 2019
Jack Astor's on Vega is an awesome place to work. Everyone who works there is amazing. They all have great personalities and are on point when it comes to training and making you feel comfortable!
Standard Pub Grub
Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 March 2019
Sports bar offering mediocre food. Everything is pre cooked and portioned controlled. Servers are cute and atmosphere is usually good, music is very loud.
fun place to be
Server (Former Employee) –  London, ON14 February 2019
fast paced energetic staff. lots of hours available if you want them!
room to advance to management. great team work ethic!
tips are quite generous,customers are pleasant.
Pros
fun work atmosphere
Cons
dont always get your breaks
High-stress, low reward
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 February 2019
Super high-stress work environment. As such a large corporation, the management doesn't get too attached to the staff. Just a minimum wage host job requires an entire full-blown exam. Management was unclear with proper use of shift management site, I was fired days before I got off probation because I had an exam and couldn't work my assigned shift.
Pros
Small discounts on work meals
Cons
High-stress
worse place
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 January 2019
it was the worse place i ever work made me closed 6 days and had to tzke cabs home and then fired in the middle of my shift after making a few mistakes and got worked out like i was a criminal.. I still haven't got my REO.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
managers to sportive . they don't talk to each other
Absolute worst place to work
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 January 2019
This was the absolute worst place to work. The other employees were cliquey and catty, it was like going back to high school. But I guess that's what happens when you work with people who have no life goals other than to gossip, get drunk and party. Management was horrible and would completely condone the behaviour of their extremely rude employees. Not only would they condone it, but they made a facebook group for the employees that they liked (which all of the employees knew about), and the managers had to approve who could go in the group and would be invited to social outings, etc.
NOT a warm, team-oriented environment. Also hours were terrible, either 12 hour shifts then you open the next morning, OR get cut after about an hour or two of being there.
Pros
Cons
Management, Employees.
great place
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 January 2019
just an overall fantastic place to work and they provide support for all employees. Also the pay is very fair even right from the beginning of working there.
Environnement de travail agréable
Runner - Servir les plats aux clients (Current Employee) –  Saint-Hubert (57)8 January 2019
le Jack cest comme une petite famille, respect entre collègue, nouveaux amis etc
Pros
50% sur les plats
Cons
coupe apres 2heures de travaille
uptight atmosphere
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 January 2019
A night at work consisted of me coming in at the front of the entrance
of the restaurant, and welcome guest. I then would proceed to ask them how many people will be eating that evening.
I then at the appropriate time i would bring them to their designated seating area. while getting seated, i would hand them menus an introduce myself. I would discuss the specials for cocktails an dinner entrees.
It was a nice place but the employers were very hard to work with

i enjoyed meeting the new people
Pros
good shifts good food
Cons
not run well
job ethics
Plongeur (Former Employee) –  Greenfield Park, QC6 January 2019
i liked working with them they showed compassion, they had good memory during the job. overall i worked there around 37.5 hours per week sometimes less.
Fun Workplace
Hostess/Runner/Busser (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 December 2018
Amazing vibe with great co-workers and a fun place to work at. Christmas Vibes and the staff is fun and jolly. Managers should be picked more wisely. Managers should listen to the people's voice
Pros
Amazing co-workers
Cons
short hours
Summer job was a decent experience
Bus Person (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON18 December 2018
I worked at the Kingston location for one summer in between terms at Queen's University. The job was decent for what it was: dealing with customers makes every day unique, tasks can be physically engaging and you have to be careful working around food and customers.
Pros
Food discount, good people
Cons
Promised serving job - males promised but rarely got serving job (some even after 2-3yrs+)
No good hours
Line cook (fryers) (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 November 2018
gave me no hours. Have been there for a year and havent moved up, they kept me too late on night shift. No respect for people who work hard for them. Not a Good experience
My Experience
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  10 dundas east20 November 2018
Great Place to work at, Team memebers are respectful and all filled with joy! I learned to be be patient with people im always working with, learned how to become a leader in such criticial times. The culture in the work place its so diverted you feel welcomed no matter who you are. Hardest part of the job in my opinion there was none but when working with coworkers who know so little that is where you have to pick up your leardership skills and use them to get both you and the cowoker through those times. The most enjoyable part of the job is to race the ticket time for the food to get out on time and doing it before the ticket time is up its the adrenaline that kicks in.
Pros
Tip out
Cons
uniform cost
Fun and Open Work Environment
Server/ Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Leader, SK9 November 2018
The restaurant is engaging and always trying to promote new things. It teaches you how to sell product, engage with guests and have fun while your doing it.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Long Hours
Not much bad
Dining room and Lounge server (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 November 2018
Working with the staff at Jack Astors was absolutely amazing, everyone was so nice inclusive, thoughtful, energetic, I was a part of a family. half of the management is okay where the other half isn't. There were many times I felt i had to go to one manager that would help me other wise I wouldn't get any help, guidance, direction or be listened to. Nothing happens with these reviews and nobody listens anyways, but management sucks anyways.
Pros
people
Cons
long hours, bad management
Fun, productive workplace.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 October 2018
Good management, great for training. Learn a lot as a young student looking to get into the restaurant industry. Fun and exciting environment for young adult.
Pros
discounted food
High volume, typical big box restaurant
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON11 October 2018
This was a great place to re-enter the world of extremely high volume 'cooking'. Very fast paced, money could have been better. Great value in the corporate training received.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON2 October 2018
Lack of meaningful structure or flow in much of what the back of house attempts to set in place. The company focus' more on ensuring people in supervisory roles are enforcing rules than on actually ensuring these rules have actual effects on food cost, presentation, customer satisfaction or efficiency. Though the most insulting part of this company is the permanent part-time designation of what are pretty much full time employees, as either the kitchen manager(s) are either incompetent in scheduling consistent or it is Jack Asters policy to ensure that schedules provides no consistency to stop workers from taking a second job to actually ensure full time hours. What I took away from this job is that working for people who are equally frustrated with their jobs is not conductive to a positive workplace.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Bad people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jack Astor's. Our community is ready to answer.