Jack Astor's

Jack Astor's Employee Reviews

Canada368 reviews
Jack Astor's in Calgary is more of a family restaurant then a bar. It is fast paced in the kitchen and can crazy when its busy. Coworkers are great and friendly.
Head office is a dump. Clique culture throughout the management teams. Training is pushed aside if you don't nag them. They let your certifications expire with empty promises of renewal. They use and abuse international students. HR will ignore you. Personal relationships and nepotism throughout the company.
Stressful environment, with a management team who is fake. Been there a long time, only stayed for the money. Never met a good manager in all my years, or someone from head office who cares about anyone or anything other than themselves. Everyone talks about everyone behind each other’s back, and these people are some of the fakest people I have ever met. Would recommend working anywhere else.
Pros
The cash tips!
Cons
Absolutely everything else!
the highlight of work at Jack's is easily my coworkers and the people i connect with there. typical day at work is never the same with it being the only one in the West, often you can expect a steady day with a busier evening, occasional reservations or events during the week. i learned that some people have no clue what they're doing and that serving really isn't for everyone. management needs to work on overall communication to peeps and with each other as well as motivating their staff. workplace culture is the key with many people who are kind, friendly, relatable, diverse, and witty, and you can make true friends you actually want to spend time with outside of the workplace. hardest part was dealing with guests, as often the guests would want to change and alter the menu items for difficult preferences that would change how to meal is prepared and we try to accommodate guests, but not strain or back-up our kitchen. the most enjoyable part i think is actually learning how much you care for the people you call coworkers and seeing them work and improve day after day, but always being surrounded by love in the building .
Pros
kind staff/coworkers, decently priced food, amazing atmosphere
Cons
poor communication from management
I've worked at 3 different Jack's locations all of which have their own pros and cons. It is a very fast paced, high standard work place. Their are many non negotiable expectations which keeps staff under strict rules and regulations.
Pros
Friendly staff, nice environment
Cons
Stressful and high standards
Every day was a new learning experience. Each day I'd start my shift by arriving minimum 15 minutes early. Id punch in and complete my section checklist and check the updated boards to ensure I was ready. I would then hand my checklist to the hosts to let them know I'm ready for tables. Some days were very fast-paced and some were slow but adaptability is important. Management was well organized although the turnover rate in the years I was there were very high. The General Manager went above and beyond of employees to ensure they are comfortable. The hardest part of a day in my opinion would be dealing with other employees who possessed a lazy nature. Its hard to deal with your own section when its rather large while having to pick up after other peoples slack. Although I'd do this without a doubt. Team work makes the dream work. The most enjoyable part of my day would be the variety of different guests and interactions I was able to encounter between my fellow employees and the folks coming in. I also enjoyed the consistent pay (Tips).
- Fun and dedicated managers
- Team oriented atmosphere

- Flexible hours

- Adaptive tasks

- Learned great customer service experience

- Learned attention to detail and quality
Jack Astor's felt like one of those jobs that is easy for students and those with little experience to get hired in, and it isn't that stressful of a job, except for a couple of really busy days.
Easy to pick up shifts, staff was friendly for the most part. Did get very stressful and fast-paced, especially on fridays or any sports nights. Worked as a host, but often ended up being needed in the kitchen to bring out dishes all night or clean up tables. Overall, would recommend if you enjoy working with the public... You won't be bored.
Life in the restaurant was not unlike any other brand but I found the regional managers created undo stress and made the work place very difficult to succeed in for both managers and associates.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Jack Astor's?
Though I learned plenty. I worked my but off. No pay cheques for my time. Being told I was doing a good job. They said they'll hire me and scheduled an appointment about my appointment they completely forgot about it.
Le restaurant fonctionne en tant qu'une grosse équipe de monde motiver et encourageant. Ambiance chaleureux et énergetique. Le qualité de travaille est supérieur a beaucoup d'autres places.
Friendly staff and good support from management. Provides plentiful training until you are ready to take the floor. Scheduling is not perfect but management tries to accommodate staffing needs to the best of their abilities. Flexible vacation requests.
love the work environment, it’s one big family. everyone gets along really well and we do lots of activities outside of the work environment together.
The hardest part of the job is being on one's feet for long hours, but that's also a great side-benefit. While conversing with guests and coworkers, we are also walking 10,000 steps a day and carrying heavy plates.
Fast Paced Environment. Extensive Training. Work with a large team. Can be long hours. Always room to grow and develop a career. Friendly staff. Fun place to work
Management is okay, you have a lot of managers so some are good and some are bad. Same goes with your coworkers. Overall its a pretty fun place to work.
its a fast paced work environment that requires you to give it your all when working but givse twice as much reward. the job also provides many benefits.
This job is good for students or peopke who don't drive ir have a vehicle because parking is expensive and really no pkace to park. There is very little communucation amongest the management team.
started at 10 most days
did orders and prep sheets

did a full quality check of kitchen

helped on line during lunch service

worked on following weeks schedule

then helped through dinner rush

called it a day
Management is very understanding of mental health issues and life problems. Easy to increase or decrease hours by talking to managers. Lots of people around to ask for help. Best part of the job are the friends you make and the annual Christmas party. They rent out a huge space and give awards and gifts to staff.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jack Astor's. Our community is ready to answer.