Jack Astor's Employee Reviews

Cook (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON2 October 2018
Lack of meaningful structure or flow in much of what the back of house attempts to set in place. The company focus' more on ensuring people in supervisory roles are enforcing rules than on actually ensuring these rules have actual effects on food cost, presentation, customer satisfaction or efficiency. Though the most insulting part of this company is the permanent part-time designation of what are pretty much full time employees, as either the kitchen manager(s) are either incompetent in scheduling consistent or it is Jack Asters policy to ensure that schedules provides no consistency to stop workers from taking a second job to actually ensure full time hours. What I took away from this job is that working for people who are equally frustrated with their jobs is not conductive to a positive workplace.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Bad people
fun place to work at.
Line Cook and restaurant closer (Current Employee) –  London, ON26 September 2018
it has been a good experience and been a fun place to work at. the management is okay and helps you move up. The culture is pretty good and it helps you to learn more about the fast pace industry.
Fun and a good place while being a student
Server (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON24 September 2018
This was my first job after high school and it payed my schooling, was manageable to my extreme schedule.

Great work culture and provided a fun and social workplace.
Pros
Staff parties, contests, and prizes.
Cons
it takes a lot of your time up
Pantry Cook/Expo (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 August 2018
the restaurant was ok very busy and fast paced. it may not be good for a new kitchen employee, you defintely want to be experienced before working downtown.
Fun place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 August 2018
I have had a long career at Jack’s with lots of good times. The best part is the other staff, we’re like family. Lots of money to be made if you stick with it and work hard.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Late nights, needy guests.
management doesn't care
Server (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 August 2018
Managers dont care about you because they know the turn over rate is incredibly high which means either youre quitting or theyre firing you at some point. Seniority matters a lot so if you dont plan on staying long this isnt the job for you.Tips are pretty good but you will be limited to a 3 table section (2 seaters) when first starting off even if you have prior serving experience. Food is not free for employees only 50% off
Decent place to work in
Pantry Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 August 2018
- Fast pace environment
- Terrible training program
- Decent benefits
- Fun people
- Managers were o.k
- Workload could be a lot sometimes
- Lots of hours if you are willing to close
fun job
Bartender (Former Employee) –  london on11 August 2018
great place to meet lots of people and have a good time while making good money. lots of room to move around in the company if your looking to move up
Pros
good money
Great Working Atmosphere
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 August 2018
Interactive support with clientelle, casual attire days when staff would dress to support their favourite sports teams. Good comaraderie among the line staff, worked well as a team, supported each other when the going got rough.
Pros
Great Shift, good management
Cons
Super fast paced, sometimes chaotic and tiring
Good for those looking to make their own schedule.
HOSTESS (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 August 2018
Good for those who like to make their own schedule with relatively flexible hours. Always busy during peak times, so good if you enjoy a fast pace environment.
great learning experience
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 July 2018
great organization for following food and beverage spec.
very systemized and controlled, great company to work for.
training program is on point and very informative.
Fun workplace, poor management
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 July 2018
A typical day at Jack Astors was filled with strict rules on table placement, guest satisfaction, etc. If something went wrong, people wanted someone to blame. If you played any part in the bad outcome of a situation, you would be yelled at. Once got yelled at because I sat guests at the wrong table.
Pros
Food discount
Cons
Management sucks
Professional Kitchen, less professional workers
PREP COOK/LINE COOK (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON28 July 2018
When I worked here I was put to the test, I had to experience very heavy rush periods with little to no training only to be pushed to the side when I wanted to learn. After eventually learning, the growth was very slow, I tried to show interest in other fields of the job and that I was interested in doing other positions but I was left with a "Maybe one day" or "If everybody is sick you can jump in"
Pros
The team is great
Cons
The job is hard, the hours are long, you cannot make your own lunch, you don't have the opportunity to obtain new skills after training
Comfortable and fast paced environment
F.O.H Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 July 2018
I'm a fast paced worker no matter the environment, however a warm environment is always my preference, and Jack Astor's was an especially comfortable place to work, this occupation suited me perfectly
Pros
employee discount
Cons
late night hours
great staff but the people at head office need a reality check
Front of House Manager (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON18 July 2018
Lots of fun on the store level but when you start dealing with people outside of the store, you start talking to people who don't know what a restaurant is and just know money.
fun staff, great experience
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 July 2018
jack astors was a really great place tot work at, the experience and skills that you learn really do stay with you for a long time. work rate was well but soon after did take a toll.
Pros
staff, pay, work rate
Cons
support, hours
Fun place to work !
Bartender/Cocktailer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 July 2018
Had great standards and treated their employees well. My employer looked out for me and treated me with respect. I would recommend to work here to anyone.
average chain restaurant
SERVER (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON10 July 2018
A good place to work with good training. if you are into the corporate chain restaurant workplace then this is probably a great fit for you and your friends
Jack Astor's
Server (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 June 2018
The fellow team mates were amazing to work with! Lots of laughs but when the busy rushes came it was heads down and focusing on accuracy and timeliness!
Pros
Positive team mates
Cons
Mandatory Lululemon uniforms that you had to pay for
Was not worth my time.
PANTRY COOK (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 June 2018
A bunch of people were hired on upon the open of this location and a lot of us were excited as we were hired full time with benefits at six months. Sure enough when we hit about the 5 month mark they canned everyone's hours. They never had enough hours for everyone and really started cutting people. I once went 7 weeks without hours. Regardless, people deserve better than this place. Even both the Assistant Kitchen Managers left.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jack Astor's. Our community is ready to answer.