Jack Astor's Employee Reviews

Not much bad
Dining room and Lounge server (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 November 2018
Working with the staff at Jack Astors was absolutely amazing, everyone was so nice inclusive, thoughtful, energetic, I was a part of a family. half of the management is okay where the other half isn't. There were many times I felt i had to go to one manager that would help me other wise I wouldn't get any help, guidance, direction or be listened to. Nothing happens with these reviews and nobody listens anyways, but management sucks anyways.
Pros
people
Cons
long hours, bad management
Worst work environment
server (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON14 June 2018
One positive note they do train new employees well.
Other than that i did not find anything else pleasant working at that company. They base advancements on personal relationships and not by work progress or effort. Management is quite lost when it comes to following protocol. I have worked many restaurant jobs and this was by far the worst place i've ever worked.
Pros
many opportunities to pick up shifts
Cons
Very long hours, management does care of the well-being of staff
Absolute worst place to work
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 January 2019
This was the absolute worst place to work. The other employees were cliquey and catty, it was like going back to high school. But I guess that's what happens when you work with people who have no life goals other than to gossip, get drunk and party. Management was horrible and would completely condone the behaviour of their extremely rude employees. Not only would they condone it, but they made a facebook group for the employees that they liked (which all of the employees knew about), and the managers had to approve who could go in the group and would be invited to social outings, etc.
NOT a warm, team-oriented environment. Also hours were terrible, either 12 hour shifts then you open the next morning, OR get cut after about an hour or two of being there.
Pros
Cons
Management, Employees.
My Experience
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  10 dundas east20 November 2018
Great Place to work at, Team memebers are respectful and all filled with joy! I learned to be be patient with people im always working with, learned how to become a leader in such criticial times. The culture in the work place its so diverted you feel welcomed no matter who you are. Hardest part of the job in my opinion there was none but when working with coworkers who know so little that is where you have to pick up your leardership skills and use them to get both you and the cowoker through those times. The most enjoyable part of the job is to race the ticket time for the food to get out on time and doing it before the ticket time is up its the adrenaline that kicks in.
Pros
Tip out
Cons
uniform cost
Fun workplace
Dishwasher/Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Laval, QC21 May 2018
The employees and managers are all fun people. That being said, the company is a busy restaurant and can get hectic at times. The biggest skill I've learned is time management working as a prep cook. Management is very accessible and easy to talk to. When the restaurant is in a rush they are willing to lend a helping hand to any position, be it line cook, prep cook or even dishwashers. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the fact that the work schedule is a mere suggestion as to when you finish. Depending on how busy the restaurant is (busy more often than not) you can end up staying an extra 1-5 hours. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people you work with, the workplace is fun in general.
Pros
Discount on lunches
Cons
Fun fast pace enviornment as well however hard to move up
Dishwasher/Pantry Cook (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 March 2018
I love the people and they are accommodating to students however when I was hired they initially put me as a dishwasher and had said it would only be a month or month and a half tops before I would be moving up and it took about two and a half or three until I started being scheduled on pantry and even still it isnt as much as they had let on when they had first hired me. They have gone back on their word a few times now and it isn't settling when you can't trust your own employers.
Pros
Nice people, student accommodating
Cons
Trouble moving up, management goes back on what they say, long shifts, little chance for raises
fun place to work at.
Line Cook and restaurant closer (Current Employee) –  London, ON26 September 2018
it has been a good experience and been a fun place to work at. the management is okay and helps you move up. The culture is pretty good and it helps you to learn more about the fast pace industry.
Over-worked and bad job culture
Dishwasher/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON14 June 2018
Consistently expected to work 11-12 hour shifts with no breaks. Frequently scheduled for another very long shift less than 12 hours after completing one. The culture of the workplace is horrible, with people loudly swearing and making sexist, racist, homophobic, etc. comments and jokes. Entire conversations were had in the kitchen about horribly offensive subjects with management doing nothing to deter it and frequently joining in. Often was unable to leave until about 3-4am.
Fun place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 August 2018
I have had a long career at Jack’s with lots of good times. The best part is the other staff, we’re like family. Lots of money to be made if you stick with it and work hard.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Late nights, needy guests.
Busy and fun place to work
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  London, ON30 May 2018
I really enjoy my time at Jack Astors. They are a good employer who work very hard to improve the wellness of the restaurant and the staff. They are constantly updating menus to stay fresh and current within the culinary world. They provide a lot of training to managers to help aid in operations.
Pros
Staff meals, good health benefits, fair salary
Cons
Tough work life balance, long hours
Fun, productive workplace.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 October 2018
Good management, great for training. Learn a lot as a young student looking to get into the restaurant industry. Fun and exciting environment for young adult.
Pros
discounted food
Cook (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON2 October 2018
Lack of meaningful structure or flow in much of what the back of house attempts to set in place. The company focus' more on ensuring people in supervisory roles are enforcing rules than on actually ensuring these rules have actual effects on food cost, presentation, customer satisfaction or efficiency. Though the most insulting part of this company is the permanent part-time designation of what are pretty much full time employees, as either the kitchen manager(s) are either incompetent in scheduling consistent or it is Jack Asters policy to ensure that schedules provides no consistency to stop workers from taking a second job to actually ensure full time hours. What I took away from this job is that working for people who are equally frustrated with their jobs is not conductive to a positive workplace.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Bad people
Fun and Open Work Environment
Server/ Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Leader, SK9 November 2018
The restaurant is engaging and always trying to promote new things. It teaches you how to sell product, engage with guests and have fun while your doing it.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Long Hours
No good hours
Line cook (fryers) (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 November 2018
gave me no hours. Have been there for a year and havent moved up, they kept me too late on night shift. No respect for people who work hard for them. Not a Good experience
uptight atmosphere
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 January 2019
A night at work consisted of me coming in at the front of the entrance
of the restaurant, and welcome guest. I then would proceed to ask them how many people will be eating that evening.
I then at the appropriate time i would bring them to their designated seating area. while getting seated, i would hand them menus an introduce myself. I would discuss the specials for cocktails an dinner entrees.
It was a nice place but the employers were very hard to work with

i enjoyed meeting the new people
Pros
good shifts good food
Cons
not run well
Excellent place to work
Supervisor, Server and Bartender (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON19 March 2018
I have worked in many restaurants and this one is definitely one of the best. Great management and room for advancement. i would highly recommend working here.
Pros
excellent food
Was not worth my time.
PANTRY COOK (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 June 2018
A bunch of people were hired on upon the open of this location and a lot of us were excited as we were hired full time with benefits at six months. Sure enough when we hit about the 5 month mark they canned everyone's hours. They never had enough hours for everyone and really started cutting people. I once went 7 weeks without hours. Regardless, people deserve better than this place. Even both the Assistant Kitchen Managers left.
Fun and a good place while being a student
Server (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON24 September 2018
This was my first job after high school and it payed my schooling, was manageable to my extreme schedule.

Great work culture and provided a fun and social workplace.
Pros
Staff parties, contests, and prizes.
Fun workplace, poor management
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 July 2018
A typical day at Jack Astors was filled with strict rules on table placement, guest satisfaction, etc. If something went wrong, people wanted someone to blame. If you played any part in the bad outcome of a situation, you would be yelled at. Once got yelled at because I sat guests at the wrong table.
Pros
Food discount
Cons
Management sucks
Great Working Atmosphere
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 August 2018
Interactive support with clientelle, casual attire days when staff would dress to support their favourite sports teams. Good comaraderie among the line staff, worked well as a team, supported each other when the going got rough.
Pros
Great Shift, good management
Cons
Super fast paced, sometimes chaotic and tiring

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jack Astor's. Our community is ready to answer.