J.D. Irving Employee Reviews

Started out fun
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chipman, NB7 September 2018
Great place to begin a career. You will get weeded out within 3 yrs if they do not like you. Long hours are expected and no one will help you if it is your job. Bonuses were small. Leadership always had you scared and wondering if you'd be next
Pros
RRSP matching
Cons
Long hours, little recognition
Neo-N-a-zi Management
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 August 2018
Worked there for almost 7 years. Only hung on for the pay. Work life schedule was insane. 3 shifts day, 3 days off, 3 shifts night. Plus working overtime on your days off, none of which they would take into consideration of how many hours you have been putting in. 2 minutes late and you are grilled like you robbed them.most of the people (non management) are good to deal with. If you are young and single this is a perfect job for you. If you have a family please do not work here.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Everything else.... seriously
Contract Buyer
Contract Buyer (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB11 August 2018
Good company but the the team i worked for was very secluded from the rest of the company. made it very hard to understand the job and the requirements at the beginning
Difficile
Journalier (Former Employee) –  Saint-leonard, NB1 August 2018
C'est du gros travail,trop chaud,trop d'heure,ont n'a pas besoin de 50 heures et plus par semaine .. 40 heures c'est bien asser ont vas vivre pareil et surtout ont n'aurait le temps de socialiser en dehors de irving. Ils disent ont n'a pas a forcé ou de lever plus de 50 livres de demander de l'aide, ouff bonne chance, ils manquent toujours du monde,faut se débrouiller seul. Ils ont dit de pas partir s'en rien dire si on aime pas le poste de demandé si ils peuvent me placer a un autre poste .. j'ai averti le superviseur, il a trouvé sa drôle et m'a répond; pas rien que je peut faire. J'ai fini mon shift pour aider au messieur avec qui j'était en training et byebye.
Pros
Boisson gatorade a volonté ou ice tea.
Cons
Trop d'heures de travail.
Not a great place to work
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB9 July 2018
Seems to be like most places where the nastiest most inept people wind up in management and proceed criticize everything you do while not actually doing any work themselves.
Management is slothful and uncommunicative. They like to play favourites. If you wind up on their bad side for any reason, don't expect a plan of action on how you can improve.
Not worth your time or effort to work here they do not appreciate you.
Pros
You get a turkey on Xmas and a quarter if you’re a good boy
Cons
Awful Managers
Great
Co-op Project Engineer - Cavendish Farms (Former Employee) –  Prince Edward Island11 May 2018
Great people but culture has big brother issues. Expect to have everything you say and do recorded and monitored. Otherwise its very supportive and training is well done.
Not a good place to work
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL20 April 2018
No money hard work and the only benefit is the discount you get.don t work for any Irving company if you want to survive in the world .they will tell you that safety is #1.but when you go to management. They say no one else complained so you are the problem. Only worried about money not about safety
Pros
Cons
Hard word little pay, and no insentives
Good starting career
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB27 March 2018
Mostly becoming a place for 20 somethings to be hired and mostly these are the people that advance their careers and get the training. Benefits could be better - no topped up parental or maternity leaves, not many sick days and no banking of sick days, no compressed work weeks, etc. Can work from home on stormy days, but otherwise it is kind of frowned upon. Very few resources to handle the amount of work therefore the workload is heavy. Collaboration is next to nil most times and you work independently all day. Good thing is that you can plan your own workday around your tasks despite much pressure to get things done.
Sawmill supervisor - Get some experience then get out!
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Valley, NS1 March 2018
I was a new university grad and was hired as a supervisor in an Irving sawmill. I was there for just under 3 years. The starting salary was below industry levels and I had one minuscule raise over those 3 years. The company cries, hard times, "no one getting raises" quite often. It was good experience, but the the hours of work is the biggest issue with this role. You are paid for a 42 hour work week. You alternate days one week, to nights the next.
As it turns out, day shift is 5 days/wk for 10.5 hrs/day = 52.5 hrs. Night shift is 4 days a wk (4x10.5=42 hrs). There's a requirement to be on site 1/2 hour before shift to organize your crew, and 1/2 after shift to complete paperwork. Expect to work 11.5 hr/shifts or 103.5 hrs every 2 weeks, but only be paid for 84. The $/hr breakdown means you'll be making the same, or less, as your operators.
The turn over for supervisors is about 3 years or less. I gained a decent enough experience and then scored a supervisor job that paid better, worked less hours, less stressful, and closer to home.
I think that people that do well with Irving willingly put the extra hours in, as their corporate culture tries to brainwash you into thinking this is normal for every business. It's not at all. People need a life outside of work and to be paid fairly for the work put in. There are much better companies to work for out there than Irving.
Pros
Experience for new grads.
Cons
Expected to work unpaid hours. Low pay to begin with.
Physically hard, great salary for students
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Saint-leonard, NB8 January 2018
This jobs was really hard, had to do alot of heavy lifting and didnt eat properly since the time I was allowed was minimal. Learned a few things like welding and grinding. The most enjoyable part was the staff as they were usually funny and felt great. Workplace wasnt the best (summer) as it was extremely hot. Hardest part was the hours of work.
Pros
Free tims, great salary
Highly demanding but rewarding
Corporate Travel Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB3 January 2018
J.D. Irving, Limited is a great place to work, They do have very high expectations but if you meet them, they reward you very well. The owners are loyal to those that are loyal to them. The challenge is with executive management that have their own addenda.
Top down management
HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB7 November 2017
Too down management, they don’t make you feel included or like you have a voice. Tough to get advancement or more responsibilities. They have potential but not for someone looking for a modern culture.
Good co-workers
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Valley, NS2 September 2017
Work with some great people. Supervisors are great but higher management is not as much. The hours and shift schedule allow for a decent amount of family time.
Pros
Good shifts
Cons
Hard work
too much gossip and favoritism
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Doaktown, NB1 August 2017
I worked at the Value Added sawmill for four years which was very different to anything i has ever done in that i used my brawn and not my brains. The work was very physical, but I soon became used to it. I did not like the constant gossipping and bickering. I feel we all had to work, so why not work together and things would run much smoother. I enjoyed that I was knowledgeable enough to work at every work station, but was forced to quit for health reasons.
Pros
excellent wages and benefits
Cons
back-stabbing
Productive enjoyable work place
Harvester/labourer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Sussex, NB10 June 2017
I worked for JD Irving woodlands division for many years,I worked in the woods as a tree planter and thinner,also as a skidder operator.this type of work was on a piece rate basis so you had to be very self motivated.iI always enjoyed this type of work and got along well with others as well as management.
Pros
working outside
Cons
only seasonal
Workplace was a pleasant and fast paced environment working with large groups of employers
Data Entry Clerk & Driver Services Auditor (Former Employee) –  Dieppe, NB20 May 2017
NOTE: Indeed has incorrect date of employment at this company (ending date was 2013 not 2017). A typical day would be to start with collecting all mail from mailroom and delivering to our various employers in our department (Driver Services) and most importantly to collect thousands of Driver's logs (handwritten daily reports of their road trips) and to immediately proceed to scan them individually into our computer system for data entry. Learned how to multi-task in a face paced environment and to work with multitude of employees from various departments in a very large company. Most enjoyable part of the job was to interact with the driver's when they delivered their logs personally to us and to hear of their experiences on the road. I enjoyed meeting, helping and advising the drivers individually concerning the rules they had to follow regarding safety and regulations.
Pros
working with large number of employees
Cons
being English in a bilingual environment
Unique Learing Expeience
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Chipman, NB30 January 2017
Worked with Irving Sawmills and Woodlands on a co-op term after my second year of school. This position was a new one Irving was trying, where the students would move through 5 roles within the company. I started my summer in a sawmill and then spent time working in; road building, tree thinning, tree harvesting and block planning. Being able to follow the trees from planting to being shipped as lumber gave me a good insight on the process as a whole that I would not have otherwise received. The most enjoyable part of this rotation was working at the sawmill. At the end of my term I asked for an extension and went back to the sawmill for a few more weeks. During my second time at the sawmill I had seen some of my recommended changes be implemented and worked with the process improvement team to standardize safety policies site wide.
Pros
Worked in 5 diferent areas of the company in one summer.
Cons
Long days when working in the forest.
working in the woods
trucking wood (Former Employee) –  Juniper, NB5 January 2017
haul all types of wood to different mills in province.A 4 1/2 days a week job living in camps .10 months a year, a perfect way to get experience as a driver, heavy loads,multiple axle trailers,over sized loads that require knowledge of balance and safe maneuvering. If you enjoy wildlife fishing and hunting.fun!
Pros
free lunch good food
Cons
icy conditions
They hired me to fill a position
Factory Labourer (Former Employee) –  Sussex, NB14 December 2016
They hired me to cover someone who was out on medical but did not tell me this when I was offered the job. I was one day before my probation was up when they let me go saying that I was no longer needed. Not something that I found was acceptable.
Good opportunity for growth
Maintenance & Operations (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB7 December 2016
High expectations, high returns for effort
Good overall group of coworkers
Average benefits
Ability to progress
Continuous education and improvement supported
Pros
Flexibility of hours, co-workers, team environment
Cons
High committment & demands

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J.D. Irving. Our community is ready to answer.