J.D. Irving

J.D. Irving Employee Reviews

Irving portrays itself as a family run, caring, company in the public. Inside, once in, they are all about results with no room for error. I found management contradicted themselves constantly. Saying one thing, saying another. Employees are not people, but performers. Platinum standard at JDI not gold or silver for this family run business. Management views opinions or concerns as complaints or an individual not taking responsibility. Stress, fear, and results is what fuels the machine. You are expected on your first day to hit the ground hard and start running. Management in some departments are not experts. Its like a biology professor teaching a chemistry class. A department manager should be the top most expert of the team and most knowledgeable about the team subject. Mine was not and had no clue what my role actually in detail pertained to or how to perform the task. Heavy work load is the norm. Work life balance non existent. Monthly check ins are to ensure your performance is top notch. Nothing more. On the outside so much promise, on the inside perform at a high level or get out. Run, don't walk, run.
Pros
Lots of perks
Cons
Work life balance, fear culture
Unhappiest time of my life! Managment was deplorable. Pay was embarrassing. Expectations laughable. Management spent most of their time worrying if someone from "Head office" had stepped into the building. If so, it was all hands on deck to cater to that individual even at the expensive of true customers. The place is a joke. Keep looking.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
From the time I started with Irving the management team was untrustworthy and lacked morals and Was unsupportive. I’ve since moved to another province with my family and I’m certainly blessed to not have to live in an Irving monopoly. My advice stay clear of the Irving organization at all costs.
Pros
B/a
Cons
Low wages, Irving dictatorships
Beware of applying for the customer service position of Customer Account Coordinator at Cavendish Farms in Dieppe, NB. The management of this department is bar none the worst I have ever encountered as an industry professional. They are quite literally bullies, deceitful, and do not take care of their team. There is zero training and zero workload balance. You will be overworked and expected to maintain high level performance while keeping your head down and not speaking up. HR is not helpful and sides with management. They are super short on manpower, especially right now, as employees are quitting, being fired for asking for help and relief from an excessive workload, and many have left on stress leave. There is zero opportunity for a CAC (Customer Account Coordinator) to advance within the company because they cannot keep people in these positions for the reasons mentioned above, therefore you will be prevented from moving up in your career or even make a lateral move. As a CAC, you will be stuck a CAC. The pay and benefits are not enough to justify the awful work environment and sheer level of stress imposed on the customer service employees by terrible management.
Pros
Met some good friends
Cons
Expected to work overtime without pay, bullied by management into being overworked, zero training, zero opportunity to advance your career, people are quitting and going on stress leave and contract employees being let go, therefore there is zero workload balance
Worst company I ever worked in Canada, I am never gonna work for them. Stressful work environment with a very cheap management, they're always looking for people but no one wants to work for kent.
Pros
Na
Cons
everything is wrong with the company, no one is happy working there
DONT work here, you will regret it every morning you get up to go there. Micro managed, short staffed, wage sucked for the workload, no room for advancement. The list could go on
Cons
Nothing to add, I was frustrated by the lack of pay. Irving is on the low end of the scale for pay. They hardly pay a living wage, yet make a lot of money.
One of the worse places to work, the management is terrible and not held accountable for things, safety is non existent. Management is pressured to do unethical things. the only way to succeed there is to do unethical things... And its an acceptable practice to cut corners, ignore safety to get things done. overall CFM is a dangerous unethical place to work. place to work
Pros
Have worked for courier for 10 years. Every year the work load increased substantially and there was never any sort of raise or monetary incentives to work harder. Management only cares about business growth and profits. If only Irving would put more money into their employees and less into their tax shelter countries like Barbados or Panama, it would be great. There was one year all employees didn’t receive a Christmas bonus but the company grew by 7%. Midland only hires through a temp agency that jd. Irving owns.
Pros
Alright salary
Cons
You are totally replaceable at any time
Management are back stabbers. I worked for this company for 25 years and in 1 day was replaced by foreign workers and younger people so they could pay less per hour. Company always cutting higher paid employees no matter how good of a worker you are.
Do not work here if you can avoid it. It is a cult, management is awful. Very poor work life balance. Management is condescending and often contradict themselves. You will not get a raise. Safety is questionable at best. Profit will always come first. Least efficient company I have ever worked for. Not bad part time job all thing considered. Decent opportunities to learn how to operate equipment like Forklifts. Still best avoid if possible.
Largest forestry company in Atlantic Canada. Salary was good however is soon forgotten once you are an employee as I would say over 80% of their employees are unhappy working for this kid. Fear culture and stress is the name of the game at JDI. Most decent people that have worked there are gone and replaced by no nothing yes men
Pros
Salary was good but not if you look at it as hourly
Cons
Management, culture, stress
They want you to work non stop. You don't make any money if you're not willing to work 60 hours a week. The workers are so toxic it makes it a very negative environment. The only good thing I can say is the union protects you. But also makes some workers lazy because the union is so good.
Mr. Irving never got to be a billionaire by giving anything to anyone. Be prepared for superintendents to hide their mistakes and take it out on you. ZERO accountability. From all the propaganda billboards we see on the highway to the fake“new” job postings every week you’d think it’s quite a place of opportunity. There’s a reason why N.B. Is an oligarchy. How many happily retired Irving employees do you know?
are nonsense. stupid tests that have zero bearing on your ability as a truck driver or valuable team member. no earrings or tattoos....hey...irving...its 2020!!!!
A large well paying company, for eastern Canada. That is the only draw, for certain. Employees have unreasonable expectations of them with no room for understanding of such things as being over-tasked, too much travel and too large an area for one person to cover. Most Management employees can barely contain their fear of the Owners. It is very common for Managers to pretend to be loyal and happy when it is clear that their benefits package is the only thing keeping them there. It is “day to day” to see/hear employees speak far differently in the open than they do in private. I laughed when I read earlier submissions mentioning “The Irving way.” You hear that every single day. Every once in a while, you hear a sycophant state, “I bleed green….” It is simply another company where "rogue" middle managers ruin the atmosphere, for their own benefit, while the upper management is indifferent to that. My first Boss was a good man and he suddenly disappeared. The second guy thought that he was a God and, much to my surprise, got what was coming to him, as well. There is NO advocacy attached to HR there. If someone wants you gone, for even the most ridiculous reason, HR is there to simply process you out. After you are gone, the “friends” that you worked with will not even communicate with you, in many cases, out of fear, as you are “tainted.” As well, I have no faith in the “anonymity” of this submission site. In fact, the “Tell us about you” section is designed to identify you; however, I could not care less. You asked….
the people who work at kent are amazing people to work with however the management is awful. there is and absurd amount of bias and mistreatment to employees. There is very little concern for your wellbeing, A select few employees for unseen reasons get special treatment and regardless of what you do management won’t recognize the good and focus on the bad.
Excellent growth opportunities. Lots of mentoring and guidance. Expect a lot of work and projects to work on. Collaborative experience with multiple teams. Great pay and benefits provided.
I liked the challenges and the fact that they (the company and management) listen to recommendations and are quick to implement new strategies. On a personal note, lots of support and if you want to try something new (position or method), they are very supportive and promote personal growth.
Was very hard work it wasn’t a bad job. It was just very physically challenging and you definitely have to be a morning person for it because you usually start around 4am
I learned how to manage my time wisely, to be responsible over my actions, to work autonomously with minimal supervision and to collaborate with others. The hardest part of the job was waking up ver early in the morning. The most enjoyable part of the job was the amount of money made and the rewards we received such as food once in a while.
  1. Employee reviews