J.D. Irving
Happiness score is 38 out of 100

J.D. Irving Employee Reviews

Canada161 reviews

salarybalancesafetylifewagelongbadweek

Lies to you to fill vacant positions

I was hired as a assistant shophand with the possibility of full time, I only did 2 weeks of light maintenance and then placed into the seasonal team shoveling potatoes and dirt. I did it under the pretense of "helping out", "doing my part", "earning my place" in hopes it would secure my future in a career with cavendish farms. Once harvest was done I was given ONE DAY NOTICE that I was going to get laid off, even after I prompted them for an answer weeks ago. Many times I asked them if I was going to get the full time position, many times I asked whether I was going to do any maintenance work after harvest, yet they said nothing and avoided answering me directly.Frankly, it was unprofessional and not conducive of the values they promote at Irving or Canvendish Farms. I had ZERO notice and now have to look for another job because I am no longer useful to the location.If they were open and transparent about it I wouldn't have been so bothered, I would have had time to figure out my next career move.I appreciate the opportunity, but if Cavendish Farms and Irving support this type of management practices there's a good chance they will do the same for you, regardless of what kind of skills and experience you can bring to the company.

Pros

hours, pay

Cons

no career advancement, manipulation

Not a productive environment

It is a very stressful environment. People pretend a lot and suck up to leadership to secure their jobs. It is a very unprofessional environment, innovation or challenging the status quo is discouraged.

Pros

Cons

long hours and very discriminatory

Insights into J.D. Irving

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Inclusive work environment

Underpaid

It is a good company to start a career, but do not recommend having a career in the company, very outdated and bureaucratic environment! Also, there is no career plan.

Pros

Work flexibility (hybrid mode)

Cons

Poor management, underpaid

stressful, overworked, underpaid

everyone is always in bad humour, always short handed and worked to their breaking point, in qualified people put in a job they only half (if that) no what their doing, supervisors push workers to their breaking point, do not recommend

Avoid Finance

This place is great at running you into the ground with project after project, task after task for weeks and months on end with no breathing room whatsoever. Unless you're desperate for a job, I would strongly urge people to look elsewhere.

Good workplace

You wanna work this is the great job. I love what I’m doing. Yea its a hard working job but you meed to work for your money. I have an awesome boss they also gave me a schedule that fits with my lifestyle. I recommend this job.

Vraiment pas une place a travailler

Sait la pire place a travailler pas de communication sait une job ennuyante et il n’appre ie vraiment rien les employés sont seulement un#

Excellent place to work

Excellent place to work. The management is very flexible and cares about your work life balance abd career progression. From a technology perspective you get hands on experience with the industry leading cloud solutions

Good environment to work in. With a good crew, tree planting can be a lot of fun.

It was good to work with a team of other students in my area of study in an area which demonstrates a lot of work ethic. Good scholarship for completing the plating season and extra bonus for top planter of the season available.

Pros

Get paid for how hard you work

Cons

All weather conditions

Collaborative and Flexible Work for Co-Ops

Company conducted activities for co-ops on several occasions to encourage collaboration across all departments. Lots of opportunities to learn through projects if you ask for it

Fear Culture

Unless you get a manger that supports you forget about advancement. Fear culture. Always a threat of losing your job. Will promise the world then deliver on nothing.

Pros

Diverse

Cons

Horrible culture

Great company

Great company to work for. Loved the opportunity to see the other side of the curtain. No doubt I’ll miss these folks like nothing else but I had to make the move.

Avoid Irving

Horrible place to work. My boss is rude. The staff including myself are severely underpaid and overworked. I do not feel appreciated working here. I would highly recommend avoiding this company.

Pros

Gym

Cons

Long hours, underpaid, rude boss, rude co-workers

Travail stressant et demande beaucoup de physique

Un tel salaire vu le travail physique que tu fait c'est vraiment de l'esclavage

Pros

Rien

Cons

Hard work

Good enviroment

Good work culture. Management were easy to talk to. Overall is was a good experience to work for this company. Great place to gain experience to have a successful career

Rien de positif excepté le salaire

Je ne conseil à personne d'y travailler, sinon attendez-vous à des horaires atypiques

As a community-focused retailer, we offer great career opportunities in a fast-paced, exciting environment, while providing ongoing training to invest in our team members so they can develop and achieve their goals. If you are a positive, customer-focused individual, we would love to hear from you.

My way or the highway!

Their slogan ‘Join one, grow with many’ actually means they don’t care what your qualifications & experiences are. They’ll mold you their ‘way’ & you have no say in what you aspire to be. While they claim that their way is the best, it’s old, archaic & outdated. People in positions of power are free to insult & use profanity to show who’s the boss.While they encourage you to provide suggestions for improvements, when you do you’re looked at as if you’re trying to be smart & get noted into their bad books. Suggestions are not welcome.

Pros

Multiple businesses.

Cons

Salary increments are only 2% each year regardless of your performance or contribution.

Great place to work!

With about 10 years in the work force and in different industries- Irving is by far the best. Great work life balance and they do really care for you. They want you to do great and succeed.

Irving itself as a company is great

Great company, spoiled but the morality was awful . Although I met some great people many were miserable never understood that because lots of great perks . Not a lot of movement for women either kind of ashame because they have some talented ladies there. Óh well.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Morality

Very stressful place to work! They will promuse you rhe world and give you nothing.

One of the most stressful places I've ever worked! Management uses the cameras to penalize their workforce. I've never felt so unappreciated at a workplace before in my life. I still currently work for the thieves,but looking to get away from this toxic environment. They promise you the world then will throw anyone under the bus as long as they benefit from it! Management are weasels.

Pros

End of shift

Cons

No home time/work balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J.D. Irving. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement