J.D. Irving

J.D. Irving Employee Reviews

Canada101 reviews
Unfair work environment
the people who work at kent are amazing people to work with however the management is awful. there is and absurd amount of bias and mistreatment to employees. There is very little concern for your wellbeing, A select few employees for unseen reasons get special treatment and regardless of what you do management won’t recognize the good and focus on the bad.
I do not reccomend working for this company.
Management are back stabbers. I worked for this company for 25 years and in 1 day was replaced by foreign workers and younger people so they could pay less per hour. Company always cutting higher paid employees no matter how good of a worker you are.
Run for the hills.
Do not work here if you can avoid it. It is a cult, management is awful.

Very poor work life balance.

Management is condescending and often contradict themselves.

You will not get a raise.

Safety is questionable at best. Profit will always come first.

Least efficient company I have ever worked for.

Not bad part time job all thing considered. Decent opportunities to learn how to operate equipment like Forklifts. Still best avoid if possible.
The unhappiest time of my life
Largest forestry company in Atlantic Canada. Salary was good however is soon forgotten once you are an employee as I would say over 80% of their employees are unhappy working for this kid. Fear culture and stress is the name of the game at JDI. Most decent people that have worked there are gone and replaced by no nothing yes men
Pros
Salary was good but not if you look at it as hourly
Cons
Management, culture, stress
Terrible work to life balance
They want you to work non stop. You don't make any money if you're not willing to work 60 hours a week. The workers are so toxic it makes it a very negative environment. The only good thing I can say is the union protects you. But also makes some workers lazy because the union is so good.
Great place to work so you can understand how capitalism and 3rd world countries operate.
Mr. Irving never got to be a billionaire by giving anything to anyone. Be prepared for superintendents to hide their mistakes and take it out on you. ZERO accountability. From all the propaganda billboards we see on the highway to the fake“new” job postings every week you’d think it’s quite a place of opportunity. There’s a reason why N.B. Is an oligarchy. How many happily retired Irving employees do you know?
hiring practices
are nonsense. stupid tests that have zero bearing on your ability as a truck driver or valuable team member. no earrings or tattoos....hey...irving...its 2020!!!!
Cut throat mentality with a culture of fear
A large well paying company, for eastern Canada. That is the only draw, for certain. Employees have unreasonable expectations of them with no room for understanding of such things as being over-tasked, too much travel and too large an area for one person to cover. Most Management employees can barely contain their fear of the Owners. It is very common for Managers to pretend to be loyal and happy when it is clear that their benefits package is the only thing keeping them there. It is “day to day” to see/hear employees speak far differently in the open than they do in private. I laughed when I read earlier submissions mentioning “The Irving way.” You hear that every single day. Every once in a while, you hear a sycophant state, “I bleed green….” It is simply another company where "rogue" middle managers ruin the atmosphere, for their own benefit, while the upper management is indifferent to that. My first Boss was a good man and he suddenly disappeared. The second guy thought that he was a God and, much to my surprise, got what was coming to him, as well. There is NO advocacy attached to HR there. If someone wants you gone, for even the most ridiculous reason, HR is there to simply process you out. After you are gone, the “friends” that you worked with will not even communicate with you, in many cases, out of fear, as you are “tainted.” As well, I have no faith in the “anonymity” of this submission site. In fact, the “Tell us about you” section is designed to identify you; however, I could not care less. You asked….
Excellent growth opportunities. Lots of mentoring and guidance. Expect a lot of work and projects to work on. Collaborative experience with multiple teams. Great pay and benefits provided.
Productive and always changing to increase production.
I liked the challenges and the fact that they (the company and management) listen to recommendations and are quick to implement new strategies. On a personal note, lots of support and if you want to try something new (position or method), they are very supportive and promote personal growth.
Review
Was very hard work it wasn’t a bad job. It was just very physically challenging and you definitely have to be a morning person for it because you usually start around 4am
Productive workplace in the outdoors
I learned how to manage my time wisely, to be responsible over my actions, to work autonomously with minimal supervision and to collaborate with others.
The hardest part of the job was waking up ver early in the morning.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the amount of money made and the rewards we received such as food once in a while.
Keep looking
The term “The Irving Way” is used to cover up unethical behavior by management. Never worked is such an unsupported, cut throat and toxic environment. Keep looking!
environnement stressant,manque de communication et de gestion
environnement stressant,manque de communication et de gestion
Great Company
Great company that offers education and advancement. Management is experienced and can offer great mentorship albeit informal. Long hours and a slight lack of work/life balance but certainly worth it .
One of the only employers in Saint John with good salaries, but they know it.
J.D. Irving, Limited has a very stressful culture and a little outdated. They are the largest employer in the area that will pay good salaries, and they know it. The turn-over, for experienced people from outside of Saint John, is very high within 4 years. They do not recognize working from home. The head office expects you to be at your desk before 8am and not to leave before 6pm. A suit and tie is required every day. They claim that most people, from the outside, that were recruited in, leave because they don't like living in Saint John, NB. This is not true from any of my colleagues or myself. We left or were let go by the company.
Fast-paced, multi-focal company
Great work environment, very supportive, lots of projects, lots of different businesses to work with. Ample opportunity to learn new skills and advance your education.
Disorganized with no common goal
Very little work life balance and expectations are extremely high. Continues to push on more responsibility to understaffed departments. Morale across the site is relatively low.

Compensation and benefits are mediocre based on expectations, in comparison to previous companies.Averaging 50-60 hour work weeks, sometimes peaking into higher hours. Management is top heavy and quite disorganized with absent leadership.

Good as a stepping stone for entry level positions, but would not recommend entering with the intention for long term employment.
Great place to work, until corporate restructuring happened when new exec VP took over. Lots of terminations without warning.
Good friendly people. But promotions were few. Low wage scale. Terminations were a surprise after being there 4 years. Great place to work, until corporate restructuring happened when new Exec VP took over. Lots of terminations without warning. Bad move by CEO Robert Irving.
The best Company
JDI is truly the best Company I ever worked for. From day one and till the very end I was treated professionally and nice. The JDIRVING has been supportive and fair to me and I'm grateful to them for that.
Never again
You never have an exact shift start time. May be 2 hours earlier or later. Mostly on a call. After work, there is only time to eat, take a shower and sleep and go back to work. Very low pay for such hard work, barely enough to pay for food housing. If you have children, then there is practically no money left.