J.D. Irving
Happiness score is 31 out of 100

J.D. Irving Employee Reviews

Insights into J.D. Irving

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging
  • Clear sense of purpose

too much politics and tense work place. so much fear

Tense work environment with a lot of politics. Staff work in fear. Most employees are there just to make the pay check and plot their exit strategies.

Pros

Good training ground

Cons

tense work environment, leadership is not sincere

Very stressful place to work! They will promuse you rhe world and give you nothing.

One of the most stressful places I've ever worked! Management uses the cameras to penalize their workforce. I've never felt so unappreciated at a workplace before in my life. I still currently work for the thieves,but looking to get away from this toxic environment. They promise you the world then will throw anyone under the bus as long as they benefit from it! Management are weasels.

Pros

End of shift

Cons

No home time/work balance

Terrible

The company is a Horrible place to work and with terrible culture... AVOID AVOID AVOID! The raise they give are very small if they give them) They are always crying hard times. Yet they seem to see more benefits from this provinces tax dollars than the average person.If you do work for them... Don't get sick!

Old school supervisor

They need people but they don’t care about what you said you’re just number… they can give physical work just to puch u to quit… because u complaint for samething ..

Pros

2x15 minutes breaks + 30 minutes dinner unpaired

Cons

12 hours

Terrible

Its a terrible place filled with politics.Like an old boys club, you have to join the club or be left behind.Staffs are not friendly and a lot of fear in the environment

Need changes for better quality of life.

Well first off, it took 4 Interviews before they hired me, I was planting trees for them before, they promise me a job at the mill after which they didn't, After I was able to work there, it's basically whoever has been there the longest or as a better connection through the company to get the better jobs, which isn't right, Some people had better jobs than me and they were newly hired. Don't get me wrong it isn't a bad place to work good benefits and bonuses, only the management is a real issue here, and when you are trying to help them out saying some things need change for certain jobs because they aren't as safe they totally ignore and go along their ways. Some days I would see guys doing jobs that would recommend at least 2-3 people, but only the one that was running around trying to keep up. The salary for certain jobs is to be negotiated, YOU DO LOTS OF WORK ALONE FOR CERTAIN JOBS. Some days are physically tiring and at the end of your shift, you aren't really appreciated for the work you do, and you will be easily replaced if there are complications. Overall its isn't a bad place but some things would need a change that's for sure.

Pros

Bonus and salary

Pretty Garbage

When i worked in the lumber yard in sussex we were paid the least out of anyone in the store but had the hardest working conditions. I mean being out in the sun in dress code which included short sleeve and long legged work pants for hours on hours. I went home every night with at heat exhaustion and normally couldn't make it off my couch if I choose to sit for a moment because I would be so tired I would pass out. Most of the gatekeepers are non forgiving if you miss a single board no matter how hard you work and how exhausted you are. The fellow employees weren't horrible and management for the lumber yard wasn't so bad. Store management including assistant manager were lazy and unhelpful. Our store manager used to fall asleep on the patio sets in the front of the store. Skip this company. It's owned by irving but you aren't paid a irving wage and will be treated like trash/

Pros

Get in decent shape

Cons

Pretty well everything

Terrible place to work.

Don’t let Irving know your disabled, and if you have family matters don’t let them know that either..they don’t care. Your just a number and replaceable, they will fire you without cause. Don’t leave your job for this company because they don’t care, they will fire you without any chance of fixing any issues, without any warnings, without any right ups, your just let go and replaced.

Pros

Cons

Everything about this company.

It is an innovative company that definitely welcomes diversity. COVID-19 regulations were highly prioritized, making the workplace safer for overall well-being.

Pros

Fair wages, management is well organized, has atmosphere of camaraderie

Cons

Long Hours, Work location in rural area

Corporate job, no union, poor leadership

Watch out for these types of hiring, they have a high turn over Would not recommend only care about corporate contracts, no respect or concern for any employees, if you think your not replaceable, think again, will only pay min, and you will feel like you did something wrong when interviewing, very picky to find people that are not knowledgeableso that they can tell you what to do.

Pros

Work for a popular company name

Cons

Everything else

Terrible place to work , every week no matter what you've accomplished they want more the next

Management are Bullies , threats and poor treatment a constant . Could change your place of work overnight and expect you to be at another location the next day hours away. Regardless of family at.home . Just BE THERE. Wages are low and stay that way . If over time you creep up in pay time for you to go and be replaced

Pros

NoN

Cons

Too many to list

Not a place I would recommend to anyone if they have other options

Management is poor at best. Salary is well below what positions should be making. Work/Life balance is okay. There is next to zero training and what training is given is very poor for the positions. You are pretty much left to sink or swim.

Pros

Its a job

Cons

almost everything else

Very stressful workplace. Management were very difficutlt

I was not impressed by the way the managers of this company treated their employees. The stress level was through the roof. One of my co-workers called the environment a pressure cooker.. I would not recommend this company to anyone.,

Stress and overworked with UNPAID TIME

Long list of duties that at best you can only achieve a small percentage of occasionally and very little time for any training.Employees are UNPAID for onboarding and UNPAID for some early arrivals or late departures.Too many bosses contradicting each others instructions.No protection for employees from Irate customers or possible violent thieves, just a matter of time before an employee gets hurt performing duties.

Pros

Some free lunches and snacks

Cons

Customer service should not include security

Dont drink the kool aid

Irving portrays itself as a family run, caring, company in the public. Inside, once in, they are all about results with no room for error. I found management contradicted themselves constantly. Saying one thing, saying another. Employees are not people, but performers. Platinum standard at JDI not gold or silver for this family run business. Management views opinions or concerns as complaints or an individual not taking responsibility. Stress, fear, and results is what fuels the machine. You are expected on your first day to hit the ground hard and start running. Management in some departments are not experts. Its like a biology professor teaching a chemistry class. A department manager should be the top most expert of the team and most knowledgeable about the team subject. Mine was not and had no clue what my role actually in detail pertained to or how to perform the task. Heavy work load is the norm. Work life balance non existent. Monthly check ins are to ensure your performance is top notch. Nothing more. On the outside so much promise, on the inside perform at a high level or get out. Run, don't walk, run.

Pros

Lots of perks

Cons

Work life balance, fear culture

Run for the hills

Unhappiest time of my life! Managment was deplorable. Pay was embarrassing. Expectations laughable. Management spent most of their time worrying if someone from "Head office" had stepped into the building. If so, it was all hands on deck to cater to that individual even at the expensive of true customers. The place is a joke. Keep looking.

Pros

Cons

Too many to list

Better then the rest.

I can’t speak for others but I have a great work life balance. As an owner Opperator with midland I have flexibility with how much I can make in a pay period or if I need more time at home. The staff is always respectful and never pushy. They are good at planning ahead most of the time, nobody is perfect. If you are easy going, respectful and like to fallow the rules you will find JDI is very accommodating. They look for efficiency and as a business owner I respect that. If you’re smart have a few years experience under your belt or are just starting out as a trucker and want a good place to work with job security we have a place for you.

Pros

Great home time/pay balance as a truck driver O/O

Cons

E-logs

Poorly managed organization - don’t waste your time

From the time I started with Irving the management team was untrustworthy and lacked morals and Was unsupportive. I’ve since moved to another province with my family and I’m certainly blessed to not have to live in an Irving monopoly. My advice stay clear of the Irving organization at all costs.

Pros

B/a

Cons

Low wages, Irving dictatorships

Zero training and exceptionally poor management in the customer service department

Beware of applying for the customer service position of Customer Account Coordinator at Cavendish Farms in Dieppe, NB. The management of this department is bar none the worst I have ever encountered as an industry professional. They are quite literally bullies, deceitful, and do not take care of their team. There is zero training and zero workload balance. You will be overworked and expected to maintain high level performance while keeping your head down and not speaking up. HR is not helpful and sides with management. They are super short on manpower, especially right now, as employees are quitting, being fired for asking for help and relief from an excessive workload, and many have left on stress leave. There is zero opportunity for a CAC (Customer Account Coordinator) to advance within the company because they cannot keep people in these positions for the reasons mentioned above, therefore you will be prevented from moving up in your career or even make a lateral move. As a CAC, you will be stuck a CAC. The pay and benefits are not enough to justify the awful work environment and sheer level of stress imposed on the customer service employees by terrible management.

Pros

Met some good friends

Cons

Expected to work overtime without pay, bullied by management into being overworked, zero training, zero opportunity to advance your career, people are quitting and going on stress leave and contract employees being let go, therefore there is zero workload balance

Unprofessional and poor management

Worst company I ever worked in Canada, I am never gonna work for them. Stressful work environment with a very cheap management, they're always looking for people but no one wants to work for kent.

Pros

Na

Cons

everything is wrong with the company, no one is happy working there

Truss builder, Mount Pearl

DONT work here, you will regret it every morning you get up to go there. Micro managed, short staffed, wage sucked for the workload, no room for advancement. The list could go on

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J.D. Irving. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7