IWK Health Centre logo
IWK Health Centre

IWK Health Centre Employee Reviews

Canada42 reviews

Stable job with good benefits

There are so many different departments at the IWK, there will be many different experiences as an employee. I worked as an admin; it can be pretty stressful but I always found managers to be approachable and reasonable. Pay is fair, benefits are good. Once you are in the door here, there is a lot of opportunity to move around.

Student Senior Project Placement

Great Workplace. Great work life balance. Learned to apply engineering methodologies in a professional and engaging environment. (Lean and continuous improvement)

My position was contract so it would be hard to accurately assess some aspects of working at the IWK.

Again it is hard to assess the overall experience as I worked on a research project for one paediatric psychiatrist and did not interact with others at the IWK. I did not receive a lot of guidance on the project and often felt that my work was undervalued and not reviewed in a timely fashion.

Working at the IWK

I loved my job at the IWK. Unfortunately, the team I was working with was small and there was no room for me to develop further. I ended up moving to Calgary and finding new opportunities but I always miss the amazing people I worked with. We even still keep in touch!

Overall a good place to get in. Administrative assistant positions rarely come up. Get a temporary and work up from there. This is how a lot of people get in.

Open staff, willing to work with you to fix any issues you have. Hardest part of the job was the 12 hr shifts. Very structured day as ward clerk which I liked.

Okay

Okay place to work, love my coworkers The management is hard as they aren’t seen often hard to relate to them Enjoy the environment and feel like I am making a difference benefits are nice but need to be paid more

relaxed

Although it was boring it was still a good place for my co-op. i liked it but its not for me because i like fast pace not slow but i did enjoy and the people were great.

Great place to work!

Great place to work! Cannot say enough great things about the IWK Health Centre and all of the values of this workplace. They treat you like you are family

Awesome workplace with good company morale

It's been a long time since I had the opportunity to work at the IWK. That said, when I worked there, I found it to be a satisfying job and work term. The people were awesome to work with and for, and the hours were reliable. Management was always pleasant and treated you as if you were not only human but actually had a clue about what you were doing. This was one of the best jobs of my career so far. I miss the atmosphere and the people.

Pros

Great Company Morale, reliable hours, could combine breaks and lunch.

Cons

No overtime

Jobs at IWK Health Centre

See more jobs

workplace

very positive work environment, busy, excellent management, training available and great co-workers. modern office equipment and programs. Stable employment for hard workers

Pros

Positive environment

Cons

not a ton of advancement in field

Undergoing changes to improve access to services

This was a large department which had recently undergone a restructuring related to service delivery model. Staff were then doing additional work to look at how to improve processes to increase client access.

Pros

Good management colleagues

Cons

job too big for any one person

Relating with many different people

I enjoy working for the IWK Health Care Centre. I've worked mainly in the Diagnostic Imaging Department from MRI, Ultrasound and mainly Breast Imaging.

Horrible management

Management treats you like you're five while acting like they're ten. They wrote me up for drinking water, wearing jeans before my shift started (even though I hadn't clocked in yet and was on my way to the locker room) and even forced me to clean a children's morgue freezer.

Great place

Great place to work! I feel honoured everyday that I get to impact such a special vulrenable population at a time they need support the most. The health centered is very focused on ensuring the experience for the children is positive

IWK Health Centre

I loved working for the IWK Health Centre for children. It was rewarding and I learned a lot of patient care. There was a very supportive team and I would work there again.

Cons

Wonderful place to work - so rewarding.

I was very lucky - great place to work. I worked hard and was able to be promoted from within. I worked with lovely people which made my job much easier.

Pros

Fun place to work

supportive environment

Was surrounded by individuals of various professions who were all very welcoming, supportive, and provided constructive criticism. Felt very welcomed and encouraged.

Pros

great coworkers

Cons

It is a productive place. Great place for sick kids. Staff are very friendly.

IWK is a great place to work. Starting in Food Services as a student is great. You have a chance to advance if your field requires someone. The staff are helpful when training and otherwise in general.

Pros

One gets to experience the diversity of staff and patients.

Cons

Some days there are long hours...if lots of sick calls in a day.

a good place to work in

➢ Supervise the day-to day operations of their respective shift. ➢ Patrol of designated areas inside and outside the hospital with view to preventing insecure unsafe activities and /or conditions. ➢ Responds to and plays an active role in all coded emergencies in accordance with the site Emergency Response plan ➢ Responds to psychiatric emergencies and assists. ➢ Investigate and follow up all accidents and incidents re: thefts, break and enter, as required and report them in writing

Great

Great places , learned a lot at both places from the great professionals who work there. Would certainly recommend both of these places for employment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IWK Health Centre. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3