Italian Centre Shop

Clear
2.5Pay & benefits

Insights into Italian Centre Shop

Areas for improvement
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Clear sense of purpose

Bakery packager

I worked as a packager in the bakery department for 2 years! I worked above and beyond and I never felt appreciated. It's an ok place to work if you dont have issues with anyone. The problem I had was with management and HR not dealing with any issues that I arose to them. Lots of my coworkers didnt speak English and I felt excluded. In there policy it states English only but that rule is never followed. It is a very clique place and lots of rumors get spread. The managers are the worst for gossiping. It's a very toxic environment and I took work home with me.

Pros

Really good benefits, Christmas bonus

Cons

Politics, gossip, harrassment, old free food, management

Fairly good work environment, pay/advancement not adequate.

- free lunches were an awesome bonus, although i heard many people complain about the repetitive sandwiches i was happy to simply save on groceries for myself. staff should be able to bring food home, the organic & non-perishable waste in this store is enormous. - i worked in the cafe which was always busy, half the job was telling people to wait in the surrounding area for a seat. overall great experience in that section of the store (jess & bettina are awesome!!) with the chance to work in other departments for a few hours, so you really get to know everyone in each department. - workdays are long with almost no room for advancement or raises. solid workweek provided for full-time, i appreciated the hours. year-end bonus is the best ive ever seen for a position like this & honestly made working there worth it. - there is definitely a divide between the italian-speaking coworkers and the english-speakers, if you can get over that you'll be fine. everyone is friendly but i found people wanted to make a big deal of this (doesn't matter, just mind your business and be friendly).

No growth no loyalty no respect.

Management is horrible at this place. And the owner is just as bad. You can work harder than anyone, and still go nowhere. And they contradict everything they say. I worked there for 8 years, worked as hard as I could and went no where I had to beg for a raise every time

Pros

Free food

Cons

Horrible management and bad work environment

Worked there for two years and did not get any recognition or encouragement from the manager. Bad turnover rate and the free lunches are terrible. Not fun at all hated every second of it.

Cons

9 hour shifts with 1 hour un paid break, Lots of gossip and no trust in the community. Very demanding work and not one good manager.

Good but boring

Cashier job is a great job for a first job. Very simple, easy job that requires little thinking. Customers are generally really kind and engage in small conversations with you. As well, you can talk to many of your coworkers during your shift. The job itself is really boring for long periods of time. No employee discount however.

Pros

free lunches

Cons

no store discount

Decent Job, Overall pretty ok

Honestly not a bad place to work though the job is demanding, be prepared to stand on your feet for 99% of the day. Also I was often guilted into working overtime when I needed to leave. Overtime pay is 22$/hour which is nice but when I wanted to work overtime they'll force me to leave. Management is decent, they're friendly but you need to learn how to please them to get on their good side. The biggest issue is if you aren't for say a full-time employee or good friends with management expect to be stepped on and them be more harsh on you. If you are a part-time employee it'll be tough cause they change policies and procedures almost every week.

decent

great place to shop, not so much to work, its hard to move up and get a livable wage, living paycheck to paycheck while working over 40 hrs a week with a slim chance of actual overtime pay.

Well treated employees

They treated us well.I got to interact with the customers quite a bit and for the most part it was enjoyable.The only thing I did not like there was all the video cameras and they were EVERYWHERE except the bathrooms.

Pros

Free Lunches

Cons

Not paid while on lunch

Decent

I would work there again if they fixed a lot of things up. It wasn't that dreadful going to work but I counted down every last second until I was off work.

Pros

Free Lunches, Free Food, Nice and fun Coworkers

Cons

Bad management, lots of gossip, very cliquey

Work with great people

Great place to work. Good people and multi cultural, Lots of departments and places for advancement. Free lunches are a bonus plus they have good benefits.

Pros

free lunches

labourer

Great place to work, the owner is amazing. The pay was not the best, but the perks were great. Free 1 hour lunch! The workload was pretty high each day, but once you figured out a system it got easier.

Pros

free lunches, flexible hours

Cons

rude workers, low pay

Better Management Needed

A typical full shift is 9 hours long with the one hour unpaid break. However, you get a free lunch for the break. Management needs to show a little appreciation toward staff and not always be so critical. Managers need to check in with staff more often instead of hiding inside the office. Store is unorganized and have a lot of out of stock products.

Pros

Friendly co-workers

Cons

Unpaid breaks

no team work

Management does not meet your Request no team work.lack of agreement with the managers low wages , no equal sharing of work

Pros

free lunch

Could be a lot better. The food is amazing.

Work environment is crowded and a lot of things are slowly not working anymore but management doesn't seem to want to replace things. They also don't listen to employee input and ideas. Isn't the most sanitary environment and seems that sanitation is only taken seriously when the inspectors come around. Days are really long. We are there for 9 hours and they get away with it without paying us overtime by giving us a one hour lunch break. Two 15 min and a half hour would be preferable in an environment where you're on your feet all day. They put a price range of $12.50-14.50 an hour when in fact most of the people who work in the deli actually make less. European customers can be very demanding and I don't believe the wage compensates for all the trouble we go through and for 8 hours of standing walking back and fourth with only 1 hour of being able to sit down or rest. The food however is amazing and the free lunch almost makes it worth it.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

long hours and low wage

quick, fun, free lunches. best deli in edmonton

it was always good preparing all the cheese i had deadlines to meet and not always enough time to do so. working under pressure is nice. except when its 100 hungry people wanting what they want when they want it.

Pros

free lunch everyday

Cons

rude old customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Italian Centre Shop. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9