Italian Centre Shop

Italian Centre Shop Employee Reviews

Bakery packager

I worked as a packager in the bakery department for 2 years! I worked above and beyond and I never felt appreciated. It's an ok place to work if you dont have issues with anyone. The problem I had was with management and HR not dealing with any issues that I arose to them. Lots of my coworkers didnt speak English and I felt excluded. In there policy it states English only but that rule is never followed. It is a very clique place and lots of rumors get spread. The managers are the worst for gossiping. It's a very toxic environment and I took work home with me.

Pros

Really good benefits, Christmas bonus

Cons

Politics, gossip, harrassment, old free food, management

Positives and Negatives

I worked there for 6 years. The job itself is very simple and easy to do, but you have no job advancement and its hard to change departments if you are not favoured by the managers. My manager had unrealistic high expectations and ask for us to do extra tasks that are not meant for our job descriptions. The cons are the work environment is no different than a high school clique. A crazy amount of work gossiping environment between employees and managers. Lack of professionalism. No employee discounts. No work-life-balance. Management was not organized and they do not care about you (or put any consideration). Favoritism is very high with managers. They get mad if you are sick and had to take a day off. They don't balance the schedule between their employees at all when they switch between nights and days. No support from management at all. The positives are the job is easy enough to do (to a certain point) and you get free lunches. You get yearly bonuses and the pay is decent enough. The Christmas Parties were fun.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Toxic work environment

Fairly good work environment, pay/advancement not adequate.

- free lunches were an awesome bonus, although i heard many people complain about the repetitive sandwiches i was happy to simply save on groceries for myself. staff should be able to bring food home, the organic & non-perishable waste in this store is enormous. - i worked in the cafe which was always busy, half the job was telling people to wait in the surrounding area for a seat. overall great experience in that section of the store (jess & bettina are awesome!!) with the chance to work in other departments for a few hours, so you really get to know everyone in each department. - workdays are long with almost no room for advancement or raises. solid workweek provided for full-time, i appreciated the hours. year-end bonus is the best ive ever seen for a position like this & honestly made working there worth it. - there is definitely a divide between the italian-speaking coworkers and the english-speakers, if you can get over that you'll be fine. everyone is friendly but i found people wanted to make a big deal of this (doesn't matter, just mind your business and be friendly).

No growth no loyalty no respect.

Management is horrible at this place. And the owner is just as bad. You can work harder than anyone, and still go nowhere. And they contradict everything they say. I worked there for 8 years, worked as hard as I could and went no where I had to beg for a raise every time

Pros

Free food

Cons

nice people and easy job

help bag food , helping people find things, help people with they bags and find shoping carts. i learned how to work with co-worker ,working fast also i learned how to work with the people who can in . but i had a small bit of problem with a co - work that almost stop me wanting to work they but i fix what happening and was better for it . the workplace culture was fill with nice people . hardest part of my job was having to work fast but the most enjoy part of my job was making people day as by help they or just making them smile.

Free Lunches, Poor Management, Good Coworkers

It is a wonderful place to work if you are a part time employee. If you are looking for full time employment this is a band-aid solution for your job hunting. The management only cares about themselves and whoever their favorite employees are. If you are not one of their favorite employees you are disregarded. You are not encouraged to stand up for yourself and what you believe in, your voice and opinion are not heard.

Horrible management and bad work environment

Worked there for two years and did not get any recognition or encouragement from the manager. Bad turnover rate and the free lunches are terrible. Not fun at all hated every second of it.

Cons

9 hour shifts with 1 hour un paid break, Lots of gossip and no trust in the community. Very demanding work and not one good manager.

Good but boring

Cashier job is a great job for a first job. Very simple, easy job that requires little thinking. Customers are generally really kind and engage in small conversations with you. As well, you can talk to many of your coworkers during your shift. The job itself is really boring for long periods of time. No employee discount however.

Pros

free lunches

Cons

no store discount

Decent Job, Overall pretty ok

Honestly not a bad place to work though the job is demanding, be prepared to stand on your feet for 99% of the day. Also I was often guilted into working overtime when I needed to leave. Overtime pay is 22$/hour which is nice but when I wanted to work overtime they'll force me to leave. Management is decent, they're friendly but you need to learn how to please them to get on their good side. The biggest issue is if you aren't for say a full-time employee or good friends with management expect to be stepped on and them be more harsh on you. If you are a part-time employee it'll be tough cause they change policies and procedures almost every week.

Supervisor does nothing.

Only at the South Italian Centre is where you can get away with being a deli supervisor and sit up in a office and do nothing all day. You cant even request time off without her questioning where you are going. You cant even use the bathroom without her friking out for nothing. While you cant even find her when someone is looking for her. Management sucks because they never do anything about her, dont even write her up for smoking , or yelling at her staff and calling us idiots. Do the store a favor and just quit. You dont even do anything.

Pros

Day old panini sandwich

Cons

Miserbale supervisor & poor management

Hugely disappointing

If you are Italian and part of the elite group, you can do whatever you want. Poorly management and terrible supervisors. They questioned you like the Italian mafia for everything and anything. Italian employees can do whatever they want and they speak Italian 99% of the time. In this place seniority means laziness,stupidity and awful manners.

Pros

Cons

Low salaries racists environment

Workers there were friendly and happy to work with me

It was a great time working there, however I was only there as volunteer but in that time I learned a lot about the work environment in a grocery store.

I don’t mind working here,it’s fun!!!

Busy and always something to do,not for people with poor work ethic or bad attitude, always dealing with many different kinds of customers. I didn’t mind working here, actually I recommend this place.

Pros

Learning about different products, on job training, awesome Christmas parties for the staff, friendly coworkers

Cons

They give too many bad employees too many chances before they get rid of them.

Atmosphere and time management

My manager, he's great to work with. He is very easy to talk to and understanding. My supervisor is very two faced. She wants us to stop gossiping, but she is always at it. Respect, Growth and Loyalty goes a long way. Lunch is a bonus, sometimes it is hard to prepare something when your world is busy.

Pros

lunch and coffee

Cons

gossiping, rude supervisor and her clique

Worst job I've ever had

Little to no job recognition, management only cares about the staff as long as everything is going well, segregation among departments, never felt like I could go to management with any real problems.

Pros

Free lunch if you like soggy day old sandwiches

Good family atmosphere

It's a great place to work amongst co-workers, but management is ineffective. Co-workers have a great and helpful atmosphere with one another, but management fails to motivate and listen to employees.

Pros

Co-workers

Fast pace

I think this job taught me a lot of things. I've become a lot more outgoing when it comes to customers and I've also enjoyed the people I worked with and the regular customers I got to know. I learned how to work fast and under pressure. I grew a lot as a person in this place. The co-workers I was surrounded with I still see outside of work. I appreciate the fact that this job was so intense at times, because it taught me how to deal with any type of customer and stressful situations.

Pros

Free coffee

amazing place

they take there time teaching you.. i was a bag lady tho i enjoyed working there.. loved seeing all the different nationalities that would come thru the door and mmm there subs are the best

friendly place

It is a friendly place where employee works together in a family ambiance, helping each other, and provide to do our best helping costumers that surely are treated as a friend

decent

great place to shop, not so much to work, its hard to move up and get a livable wage, living paycheck to paycheck while working over 40 hrs a week with a slim chance of actual overtime pay.

Welcoming and Family like

One thing I enjoyed most working at the Italian Centre was the regular customers that always was so welcoming. I love my supervisor at the front; she was very professional and kind and understanding with all her staff members. Another thing that was very beneficial with the Italian Centre was the flexible hours they give students and full timers and the very kind staff members ofcourse.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Italian Centre Shop. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9