Italian Centre Shop Employee Reviews

Welcoming and Family like
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 November 2017
One thing I enjoyed most working at the Italian Centre was the regular customers that always was so welcoming. I love my supervisor at the front; she was very professional and kind and understanding with all her staff members. Another thing that was very beneficial with the Italian Centre was the flexible hours they give students and full timers and the very kind staff members ofcourse.
A great place to work for
BAKERY SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 September 2017
Great company with great people working around you almost all the times.
Busy commercial business with a feel like family
Great learning experience guaranteed
Horrible management great employees
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB west end7 September 2017
At the beginning of my job there, it was very nice and made me want to go to work. But when I furthered to continue to have personal problems with my family, management didn't care said I was lying and so forth, I was suspended and escorted off the property for what to make me feel like a criminal, absolutely broke my heart, I have never expierenced this ever at my last jobs I'm very dissapionted. Lost alot of very good employees after I was terminated for going to a family event. Even more upset when I found out the day I was getting terminated management announced it to the he whole department. Deli manager doesn't serve and rude.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Horrible management, drama
Well treated employees
cleaner and general store helper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 July 2017
They treated us well.I got to interact with the customers quite a bit and for the most part it was enjoyable.The only thing I did not like there was all the video cameras and they were EVERYWHERE except the bathrooms.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Not paid while on lunch
Terrible place to work if you aren't Italian!
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  South Edmonton18 July 2017
The management don't care what is really going on and who is really working. If you are Italian you can do what you want. Very cliquey. Terrible communication. No training.
Pros
Free lunch
Decent
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 July 2017
I would work there again if they fixed a lot of things up. It wasn't that dreadful going to work but I counted down every last second until I was off work.
Pros
Free Lunches, Free Food, Nice and fun Coworkers
Cons
Bad management, lots of gossip, very cliquey
family environment
Cafe Attendant/Customer Service/Food Prep (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 June 2017
Any given day you can expect to encounter many customers whom are regulars and appreciate being remembered. Most days you are challenged to grow yourself. There is an ongoing coaching system in place to help individuals reach their potential.
great coworkers questionable management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 June 2017
The people you will be working side by side with will make this job worth it until it's not.Put any initiative you have on the shelf,Italian Centre does not want it,it's sad to see so many people in one place who would love to step up to the plate being disregarded by the management and watch so many issues that seem simply solved carry on for years.So much potential here but doubt it will be met as they obviously have the two things going for them that the public wants,great FRONT OF LINE staff and hard to find products,this place is holding itself back. Free lunch is a bonus but the sandwiches are often soggy.
Pros
co-workers, lunch
Cons
management
A confused business
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 June 2017
The coworkers and the products are great. But they really don't know what's going on 99% of the time so it makes working there hard. All "problems" they have can be easily solved but they never seem to get anything done. They don't recycle anything and throw out so much. They are just lucky they hired good people.
Pros
coworkers, lunches
Cons
only day old sandwiches to staff, extremely wasteful
Work with great people
Shipper/Receiver/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 May 2017
Great place to work. Good people and multi cultural, Lots of departments and places for advancement. Free lunches are a bonus plus they have good benefits.
Pros
free lunches
Terrible place
Baker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 May 2017
The only good thing about this place is your coworkers. Otherwise if you aren't European your treated like garbage. I got fired for reporting a supervisor for sexually touching me on more then one occasion. But because this supervisor was very close friends with alot of the managers and is italian they fired me so he wouldn't get into trouble.
Pros
Co workers
Needs improvement.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 February 2017
Management is rough. They don't listen to any suggestions we have. They hide upstairs all day doing "work" so they don't know the actual problems within the store. They always tell us not to gossip and start rumours but all I hear them do is complain about other staff and gossip. Days are very long. Sometimes you don't get your break til after 5 or 6 hours of working and there are no coffee breaks. It's hard on the body. Pay is basically minimum wage. You are treated much differently if you are not European. Certain staff are allowed to eat whatever they want whenever they want because they are Italian and close friends with managers. Others aren't allowed to do anything.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Everything else
labourer
Warehouse/shipper/reciever (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 February 2017
Great place to work, the owner is amazing. The pay was not the best, but the perks were great. Free 1 hour lunch! The workload was pretty high each day, but once you figured out a system it got easier.
Pros
free lunches, flexible hours
Cons
rude workers, low pay
Better Management Needed
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Edmonton7 December 2016
A typical full shift is 9 hours long with the one hour unpaid break. However, you get a free lunch for the break. Management needs to show a little appreciation toward staff and not always be so critical. Managers need to check in with staff more often instead of hiding inside the office. Store is unorganized and have a lot of out of stock products.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
Unpaid breaks
no team work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 November 2016
Management does not meet your Request no team work.lack of agreement with the managers low wages , no equal sharing of work
Pros
free lunch
Could be a lot better. The food is amazing.
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 April 2016
Work environment is crowded and a lot of things are slowly not working anymore but management doesn't seem to want to replace things. They also don't listen to employee input and ideas. Isn't the most sanitary environment and seems that sanitation is only taken seriously when the inspectors come around. Days are really long. We are there for 9 hours and they get away with it without paying us overtime by giving us a one hour lunch break. Two 15 min and a half hour would be preferable in an environment where you're on your feet all day. They put a price range of $12.50-14.50 an hour when in fact most of the people who work in the deli actually make less. European customers can be very demanding and I don't believe the wage compensates for all the trouble we go through and for 8 hours of standing walking back and fourth with only 1 hour of being able to sit down or rest. The food however is amazing and the free lunch almost makes it worth it.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
long hours and low wage
no team work
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 February 2016
lacked team work improper treatment of workers by the management board, Management does not fulfill the request of the employees.
free lunch .
interacting with customers at the till and help them make best choices for them.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  West Edmonton Mall, AB28 January 2016
Scanning customers' purchases, gift card activation, cash back on debit
Charge on customer's account, checking gift card balance, answering calls, doing paging,
Announcement, cash report at the end of the shift etc.
Best place I've worked at so far
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 August 2015
The staff are very diverse and all work very hard together. The management is great and they truly care about their employees. Very flexible hours. I enjoyed my time working there, however I had to leave to focus on school.
Pros
Lunch provided, great staff
Cons
Hard to retrieve items from warehouse/cooler at times, however they may have improved their system by now
Coworkers were the best part.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 February 2015
Typical day required alot of moving of boxes, rearranging stock, and loading and unloading trucks.
Management was the worst part, Too many people in charge of too many different things. Would not listen to coworkers when they presented a problem or issue .
Hardest part was stocking the freezers, very cramped and of course cold, not enough room.
The free lunch was the best part .
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Horrible management.