ISM Canada

ISM Canada Employee Reviews

Fast paced technical atmosphere a collaborative environment.

Worked there for 39 years, it was like family. Saw many advancements in technology and weathered many storms as do most companies. There are many areas for advancement if you possess the necessary skills.

Do not walk, RUN from this company

I worked for this company for about 15 years. It was a decent place to work in the beginning, but the union is very weak and the company is very seedy. Wages continue to decrease, jobs are filled by "New Canadians" that are out of scope, and essentially people being taken advantage.Just avoid this company at all costs. They don't care about you, they don't care about work life balance, they will pay you less as often as they can.

Pros

Cons

Poor wages, no cost of living increases, poor job security, unqualified management.

The worst place I’ve ever worked

Unless you are desperate please do not leave your employer to take a job here. Yes, the pay is outstanding… but you will earn every dollar. If you are unemployed then go for it. But keep looking for alternate employment. During my engagement it wasn’t odd to have people only last a month or two. It is unionized and I naively believed that it would translate into one with great work life balance. Untrue. You will never work a 40 hour work week. 50 to 60 hours is the norm and often you will put in more. Turnover is absolutely the worst I’ve seen. Company culture is awful. Which I should have guessed because in the first few weeks when HR sent out a demand to the managers that all reports were to post online a positive review because their rankings were so low. You’ll see mine there too. It was in no way an “ask”.

Pros

Salary, benefits, RRSP matching.

Cons

Places that have to pay above average generally have to.

Very productive experience with excellent people around.

ISM Saskatoon office is well lead with very understanding management that relates to the well being of staff. It was a very enjoyable, productive one year contract that ended well with a very successful project implementation.

A sinking ship....RUN!!

I used to work out of there Vancouver Island Office (thankfully moved away)...terrible management still exists, maybe worse....I do have current knowledge working right along side them for many years. Rude and uneducated managers with low-IQ fail to deliver - they're future is definitely uncertain to say the least...

Pros

Not much, if you don't mind be worked to you drop

Cons

Long stupid hours and shifts

Toxic Culture

This place hires top talent and lets them go as soon as the project is completed. They are a sinking ship! They do not embrace new ideas and only want to sell what was hot in 1990.

Great company to work for!

Working for this company has been wonderful at establishing my career. They really take care of their employees. Great benefits and vacation days. The most enjoyable part of my job is the wonderful interaction with clients!

Fulfilling, busy and great co-workers

Highly recommend great pay / benefits work culture is very positive co-workers are amazing, work collectively as a team Management turns over a lot not sure what that’s about Ability to move into other areas is great Training is amazing!

Pros

Offer training for advancement

Cons

Grumpy when you call in sick so just dont

Good job

I little over managed, the union is a more concerned about it's own agenda then what is best for the workers . But over all it's not a bad place to work

Lies, politics, and pettiness

Very poor environment with a LOT of pettiness, lies from management, and a significant amount of politics. But, what else can one expect from an IBM company?

Great learning,

There was always something to learn at ISM. You were teamed up with experts and had great opportunities to learn. The management was good but job security was not. The hardest part of the job was making sure you were never on the bench. The most enjoyable part was the job assignments provided.

Pros

Great Learning

Cons

Job Security

Productive and Fun

Educated employees Good team to work with Ability to work from home Advanced computers and bright office Proper software to support quick communication in between offices around the globe

Pros

Good Benefits

Cons

Long Hours

Ism

I was able to work from home, I also managed cross functional teams there were geographically dispersed on various project that I worked on. The organizational culture provides you with opportunities to make critical decisions on your own. Pros Excellent environment to work Cons None

Stress Free job

1. Totally Stress free work 2. How to talk to people (Doctors, Physicians, Scientists, Nurses, users, technicians) 3. Pressure free work 4. Union job 5. Better Benefits 6. Pensionable job 7. Supported by 100s of technical teams 8. Cooperative coleagues 9. There is not a micro management

Moving the Supply Management profession forward

ISM-Canada is a professional body of Supply Chain practitioners, academics and industry leaders transforming supply management into an integral element of a successful business, regardless of industry or field. Public or private organisations take advantage of tools like the the ISM Monthly Report on Business measuring productivity in manufacturing and non manufacturing sectors. Tracking trends gives those who analyse this data a heads up on what is coming at them, Headwinds or tailwinds; This data can make a difference to your bottom line.

Plenty of time to perform independent work

I performed a lot of independent work with minimal supervision during my work term at ISM. I enjoyed the free range approach management gave me to do my job because it allowed me to develop my Excel and Visio skills and work at a steady yet unpressured pace.

stressful work environment

proper training is not provided in order to perform in your role. Time is not provided in order to complete your tasks and manage all your priorities at the same time.

Cons

departments do not work effectively together

Good company, not so great management

Management let’s hard working people walk away, no appreciation for talented and responsible workers. Gives preference based on friendship rather than skills

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Management doesn’t care about employees

Excellent job place, great environment

In a typical work day you sit in a cubicle next to some great coworkers and answer computer support calls over the phone. The social atmosphere is great, the clients are great and overall the day to day experience is very enjoyable. If I had to choose my favorite part it would be the level of support you get from coworkers and managers. It isn't a hostile environment where you feel pressured to be concerned about performance or asking questions but a very hospitable place to learn! I would recommend ISM as an employer.

Pros

Great pay, relaxed environment, great coworkers

Cons

Lots of sitting, remember to go for walks throughout the day

A business in flux

Typical days included researching a variety of technology options, solving business technology issues, developing new approaches for delivery of services, and managing implementation of products or technologies as needed. As my role became more advisory over time billable hours declined. When times get tough, it is the billable person who represents value to an accounting team even though the amount of billable activity may be directly attributable to the decisions or ideas introduced by someone behind the scenes who does not bill the customer. Sadly vision and imagination are not easily quantifiable in dollar terms. This business struggles in the sense that the management is trying to go in a new direction but customers and staff still expect and want much of the same as before. Leadership struggles to market a cohesive updated vision internally and to its customers. Co workers are amazing, talented, and most, good to work with. All persons were accomplished and professional making work very enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was pinning down exactly what was being asked for by management, and prioritising in order to provide some perceived and quantifiable value to the business. Interaction with people, both internal and customers alike made the job enjoyable. Every once in a while, one of your ideas or approaches leads to a business win which is also very satisfying.

Pros

People, good benefit package

Cons

Lack of communication, employee relations

An excellent work environment

An excellent IT company to work with and a perfect place to work on top of the line server hardware and technologies. A very supportive management and with the performance based work culture, one can work his way through the different seniority levels in the company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ISM Canada. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8Job security/advancement