Island Health

Island Health Job security & advancement reviews

There is a great group of staff working here in all departments, it had good culture of teaching and growth. It is a small hospital and has a very close knit culture that supports each other.
Great place to work to create connections with patients and get involved in the medical field if you are a student wanting meaningful volunteer work!!
I loved working there at first. Lots of disfunction at first it seemed manageable.I was asking about a raise as I wanted to know the hrsThe second in charge told me the manager was in process of finding how to fire me. As actually they didn't follow the union rules regarding pay I would have been owed many hrs of over time as would others. They were worried I would realize and file a grievance.I had an allegation and upon return to work I was told it was still being investigated and that viha thinks I did something.I was utterly horrified however it was a lie.. I had a yr and half of this.Then I'm told I need a meeting with my union rep. I had enough and my fiancé asked me to quit.Basically they deserve each other.. could be an amazing place if some management changes made. When I quit I got ei, the EI rep said to me I believe in karma in all my years of doing this it's wow.. she was told I was a good worker but got upset over what occurred I couldn't take it.or they would have offered me a different job. At the other house . meanwhile they had tried to reprimand me for abuse over something that didn't occur and I got ei .. It took me 6 months to recover from this experience.I had job offers and interviews. But this company refuses to say much to potential employers. I emailed the hr person who keeps responding here.. she ignored it.
Pros
Liked the type of work, learned a lot
Cons
workplace culture
Comment – 11 August 2020
This review is PENDING as it is for another employer - Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA) as indicated in the review itself. WJS Canada is in no way associated with VIHA.
It takes connections in IH to get a job there or to move up. Their interview check list is demeaning and usually irrelevant . I have seen so many incredible practitioners not get jobs because they didn’t use the right language (literally the right word) during an interview. Management positions are often held by professionals from other disciplines that have no relevance to the team they are leading my first week there I was put in my most challenging ethical dilemmas of my career only to find out that the staff, team lead and managers were aware and were covering it up
Pros
Flexible, decent pay, lots of work, promote education/training
Cons
Lateral violence, unqualified management, disorganized
Otherwise a good place to work. Good place for a career just don't get hurt and you will be fine. Co-workers are very supportive and helpful. Good team enviroment.
Bad experience all together. It’s an okay job for now. I got hurt on the job to the point I want able to use one side of my body. When I had to file a complaint, they try to push you back into work when you have reached a “plato” of your physio. Which means you’re not better nor are you as damaged yet you’re in a stage where your injury is at risk for further and more permanent damage. Which is exactly what happened in my case
Pros
You can do a course through the union or VIHA after you have worked over a certain amount of hours
Cons
They have the worst union ever
Worklife balance is important to the Island Health. It is not universal. The culture at work differs between programs and also between union vs non-union worlds.
It was a great place to grow, and learn. Having updated technology really does save a lot of time and hassle. After working in a much less funded facility, dang I appreciate the atrium more!
Was an a volunteer and not an employee Volunteering experience was good and "I learned a lot The people involved were extremely helpful towards me and
Wonderful people and enjoyed working there immensely! Would recommend as an employer. Challenging and rewarding. Wouldn’t hesitate to return if lived in area.
- a typical day: start/continue/complete tasks. There will most likely be a lot of walking and stair climbing. - what I learned: how to properly do team work - management: very good. The people I worked with really know how to work as a team from the top. - workplace culture: I was in a co-op, so my experience was limited, but it seems like everyone looks out for everyone else there. - the hardest part of the job: when the co-op ended. I had fun there and learned a lot. The pay was in the low end of my peers in other co-ops. - the most enjoyable part: the appreciation of a job well done. All the support and learning from my colleagues' experiences.
Enjoyed my employment and how close the multidisciplinary team worked together. Hiring process is lengthy and patience is needed in waiting for the hiring process. Lots of hours available if your available to work.
Very poorly run place with management that does not have experience or education to justify their positions. Lots of bullying with the ones that bully being protected and the victims silenced or fired. Overworked and understaffed is the general theme all over.
I do not wish to review this health authority on this platform. My opinion of this employer are personal & therefore I am not completing a review at this time
My experience with habitual bullying by one co-worker with complaints by multiple people has so far not been dealt with. 2.5 years and it continues. Maybe the newest manager will handle it. I love my job, but am looking for a new one. another job. :(
The nursing shortage means lots of overtime available. Very low focus on staff work/life balance. Union wages. Room for education advancement available.
Good organization with lots of room for movement and options. Good benefit packages and employee support systems. Excellent people passionate about their work.
Obvious salary limitations working for a hospital but great guys to work with for a union environment. Progression is available if you are self motivated and display competence.
interesting job with interesting people. the work environment was relaxed and there were many opportunities to learn new skills as a wide variety of people worked at Island Health.
Terrible union, not much support or benefits for the amount of yearly deductions Toxic environment, toxic people seem to congregate. Managers are hand picked from former managers friends , usually not based on skill No advancement Changes in upper management turnaround as high as low skilled workers
Pros
Health and dental
Cons
Everything else
Excellent Benefits, great work life balance While Island Health can be a great place to work, it does a poor job of holding on to talented and committed staff.
  1. Job Security & Advancement