Island Health

Island Health Culture reviews

There is a great group of staff working here in all departments, it had good culture of teaching and growth. It is a small hospital and has a very close knit culture that supports each other.
The work culture is deteriorating, with increasing work levels and decreasing safety. Forced overtime and involuntary redeployment to non preferred sites destroys moral.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Forced overtime
The management of the community sector or island health in the Oceanside area is doing a great job of trying to keep their employees.., I feel accepted and I feel that as I am learning how to work in this setting, my supervisor is very supportive.Scheduling is a nightmare! Never enough staff, lots of revised schedules.The work is fair and fun and very rewarding.
Lots of further educational ops. Weekly team meetings to discuss clients, workplace issues, connect with team. Updated computer systems. Admin team helpful. Pleasant office space.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Productive workplace very stressful and it’s shift work most jobs!! There’s politics and every job keep to yourself you didn’t go to work to make friends!! Be a hard worker and very professional
Pros
8 hrs 2 30 min breaks 12 hrs 3, 35 min breaks good place to work it’s nice to move around in the job
Cons
Some areas there’s a lot of politics
I loved working there at first. Lots of disfunction at first it seemed manageable.I was asking about a raise as I wanted to know the hrsThe second in charge told me the manager was in process of finding how to fire me. As actually they didn't follow the union rules regarding pay I would have been owed many hrs of over time as would others. They were worried I would realize and file a grievance.I had an allegation and upon return to work I was told it was still being investigated and that viha thinks I did something.I was utterly horrified however it was a lie.. I had a yr and half of this.Then I'm told I need a meeting with my union rep. I had enough and my fiancé asked me to quit.Basically they deserve each other.. could be an amazing place if some management changes made. When I quit I got ei, the EI rep said to me I believe in karma in all my years of doing this it's wow.. she was told I was a good worker but got upset over what occurred I couldn't take it.or they would have offered me a different job. At the other house . meanwhile they had tried to reprimand me for abuse over something that didn't occur and I got ei .. It took me 6 months to recover from this experience.I had job offers and interviews. But this company refuses to say much to potential employers. I emailed the hr person who keeps responding here.. she ignored it.
Pros
Liked the type of work, learned a lot
Cons
workplace culture
Comment – 11 August 2020
This review is PENDING as it is for another employer - Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA) as indicated in the review itself. WJS Canada is in no way associated with VIHA.
Worklife balance is important to the Island Health. It is not universal. The culture at work differs between programs and also between union vs non-union worlds.
- a typical day: start/continue/complete tasks. There will most likely be a lot of walking and stair climbing. - what I learned: how to properly do team work - management: very good. The people I worked with really know how to work as a team from the top. - workplace culture: I was in a co-op, so my experience was limited, but it seems like everyone looks out for everyone else there. - the hardest part of the job: when the co-op ended. I had fun there and learned a lot. The pay was in the low end of my peers in other co-ops. - the most enjoyable part: the appreciation of a job well done. All the support and learning from my colleagues' experiences.
Great place to work! I have worked in many different areas within the hospitals and all are great and give lots of different dynamics. I would recommend this job to anyone.
The job is high paced and usually under staffed. Other staff members are friendly for the most part. But can be stressed due to under staffing. I enjoy the clients mostly..
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Island Health?
Slow-paced workplace with distant management. Independent and autonomous position. Workplace culture reflects culture of West Coast of Canada. Integrated care model at place.
The behavior, attitude and ego of leadership is very unprofessional. There is favoritism with certain staff over others and it is obvious. People are hired not necessary for talent, skills or experience but who they know. Although there are pockets of positive culture some of the senior leaders in the organization do not value or show respect to their employees. Spreading rumors seems to be a common daily practice. There is little positive reinforcement, appreciation or acknowledgement of good work but quick to blame and share what the employee could have done better.
love the clients hate the politics/unions unhappy with the paid awful communication terrible duplicate employee jobs untrained work situations unsafe work issues
Pay is good, culture is riddled with issues - training was sub par, spent months only able to do the basics of the job. Pay is good and opportunities to pick up extra shifts are available.
I had 8 hours Float RN shifts and was able to work at both Victoria General Hospital and at the Downtown Royal Jubilee Hospitals. Overall, my clinical experiences and the supportive mentorship from senior nurse colleagues and the ONA Stewards was absolutely exceptional!! I miss working for VIHA, for sure.
Pros
8 hours shifts and clinical exposure to various fields of practice
Cons
Non-Nursing managers who did not understand Nursing culture and needs of nurses new graduates
Excellent Benefits, great work life balance While Island Health can be a great place to work, it does a poor job of holding on to talented and committed staff.
Terrible place to work if you like to feel appreciated, feel safe, or expect professionalism. I’ve been here a long time and feel doomed to stay because of my pension. Would not recommend this company.
Pros
Pay, job security
Cons
Culture is as bad as it gets
Viha has many departments Home support is working with adults in their home to keep them out of old age and group homes Palliative in home care Work place culture between co workers is balanced, management needs improvement
The care provided by the majority of the workers is excellent. Many happy memories with the most sensitive time in a person's life. I have learned from people what is important to them. The staff is stretched to the limit. We are rushed with care. The baths are once a week .. bed bath daily with a quick swish. The politics times difficult to deal with. Gentle care policy is now in place so patients are handled with more care and less Arm & Arm approach.. The ceiling lifts are great.. patients enjoy the lift from bed to chair ect.. Activity programs are entertaining and caring and include family involvement. It is the most rewarding career I have ever had.
Pros
Patient Care is team based.
Cons
The salary has barely changed in the past 10 years.
If you like shift work, this is the place for you! Supportive environment and good skill building opportunities. Hard on the family though as shift work can be.
Really enjoyed working for VIHA. Only moved on to support family else where. Was helped a lot by co-workers in getting my 4th class ticket. Vey good benefits.
Pros
Beautiful Location & culture
Cons
Wages a bit lower than Alberta