Island Health

Island Health Employee Reviews

There is a great group of staff working here in all departments, it had good culture of teaching and growth. It is a small hospital and has a very close knit culture that supports each other.
Work is less stressful if you have a good team. Overall work atmosphere is good. Management is supportive and more shifts are always available. Happy to work for island health
The work culture is deteriorating, with increasing work levels and decreasing safety. Forced overtime and involuntary redeployment to non preferred sites destroys moral.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Forced overtime
VIHA management is consistently staffed by people without any kind of suitable education, experience or basic grasp of ethical conduct. 4 managers watched the local medical director attack me personally on numerous occasions and did nothing. Apparently, you can get by in management if you keep your mouth shut and act thankful that the scapegoat is a staff person and not them.30 years in 4 different health authorities and VIHA is, without question, the lowest functioning, most corrupt organization I have ever worked for.
Pros
Cons
destrutive, punitive management attacks on the experienced health professionals who do the actual work
The management of the community sector or island health in the Oceanside area is doing a great job of trying to keep their employees.., I feel accepted and I feel that as I am learning how to work in this setting, my supervisor is very supportive.Scheduling is a nightmare! Never enough staff, lots of revised schedules.The work is fair and fun and very rewarding.
Lots of further educational ops. Weekly team meetings to discuss clients, workplace issues, connect with team. Updated computer systems. Admin team helpful. Pleasant office space.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Great place to work to create connections with patients and get involved in the medical field if you are a student wanting meaningful volunteer work!!
Productive workplace very stressful and it’s shift work most jobs!! There’s politics and every job keep to yourself you didn’t go to work to make friends!! Be a hard worker and very professional
Pros
8 hrs 2 30 min breaks 12 hrs 3, 35 min breaks good place to work it’s nice to move around in the job
Cons
Some areas there’s a lot of politics
A challenging and ever expanding area of health care. Skills oriented job which is as equally demanding of strong interpersonal/ social skills. Though the daily tasks and duties of the job are routine and often fast paced, the patient population is long term and chronic thereby creating strong connections with the unit and staff.
I enjoyed working with patients and some staff but the management in many dept, don't care. They are employees that have been promoted because the employer couldn't get rid of them. They don't care about the patients or staff. There have been many consultants that have been brought in to find out about the toxic workplace. They give their suggestions but the employer doesn't follow through or care
Cons
Very toxic workplace in all areas
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Island Health?
Zero interest in providing education, best practice and or creating a positive work environment. The worst experience I’ve had working for a health region. Management heavy, litigation focused. Absolutely depressing work environment. Affordable housing was not worth leaving VCH.
Pros
Can’t identify any
Cons
Too many to name
I loved working there at first. Lots of disfunction at first it seemed manageable.I was asking about a raise as I wanted to know the hrsThe second in charge told me the manager was in process of finding how to fire me. As actually they didn't follow the union rules regarding pay I would have been owed many hrs of over time as would others. They were worried I would realize and file a grievance.I had an allegation and upon return to work I was told it was still being investigated and that viha thinks I did something.I was utterly horrified however it was a lie.. I had a yr and half of this.Then I'm told I need a meeting with my union rep. I had enough and my fiancé asked me to quit.Basically they deserve each other.. could be an amazing place if some management changes made. When I quit I got ei, the EI rep said to me I believe in karma in all my years of doing this it's wow.. she was told I was a good worker but got upset over what occurred I couldn't take it.or they would have offered me a different job. At the other house . meanwhile they had tried to reprimand me for abuse over something that didn't occur and I got ei .. It took me 6 months to recover from this experience.I had job offers and interviews. But this company refuses to say much to potential employers. I emailed the hr person who keeps responding here.. she ignored it.
Pros
Liked the type of work, learned a lot
Cons
workplace culture
Comment – 11 August 2020
This review is PENDING as it is for another employer - Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA) as indicated in the review itself. WJS Canada is in no way associated with VIHA.
It takes connections in IH to get a job there or to move up. Their interview check list is demeaning and usually irrelevant . I have seen so many incredible practitioners not get jobs because they didn’t use the right language (literally the right word) during an interview. Management positions are often held by professionals from other disciplines that have no relevance to the team they are leading my first week there I was put in my most challenging ethical dilemmas of my career only to find out that the staff, team lead and managers were aware and were covering it up
Pros
Flexible, decent pay, lots of work, promote education/training
Cons
Lateral violence, unqualified management, disorganized
Otherwise a good place to work. Good place for a career just don't get hurt and you will be fine. Co-workers are very supportive and helpful. Good team enviroment.
Bad experience all together. It’s an okay job for now. I got hurt on the job to the point I want able to use one side of my body. When I had to file a complaint, they try to push you back into work when you have reached a “plato” of your physio. Which means you’re not better nor are you as damaged yet you’re in a stage where your injury is at risk for further and more permanent damage. Which is exactly what happened in my case
Pros
You can do a course through the union or VIHA after you have worked over a certain amount of hours
Cons
They have the worst union ever
Worklife balance is important to the Island Health. It is not universal. The culture at work differs between programs and also between union vs non-union worlds.
You never know what your day will bring you can come in with a plan, but things come up and you must be flexible to adapt to the needs of the department
Pros
great benifts
Cons
more work than a person can do
It was a great place to grow, and learn. Having updated technology really does save a lot of time and hassle. After working in a much less funded facility, dang I appreciate the atrium more!
I have been really impressed by the flexibility that Island health has had in the face of COVID19. They have done a great job of prioritizing client care and making resources available for as many people as possible
Was an a volunteer and not an employee Volunteering experience was good and "I learned a lot The people involved were extremely helpful towards me and
Wonderful people and enjoyed working there immensely! Would recommend as an employer. Challenging and rewarding. Wouldn’t hesitate to return if lived in area.
  1. Employee reviews