Island Health logo
Island Health

Island Health Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Work life balance compromized by tech. Good team

Community contract still allows for "windows"(ie: 7 hours paid in a 9 hour work schedule)which impacts moral and work life balance. Responsiblity level much more than Facility work, ie medication administration. Management at our office very good but physical disconnect effects care. As in all care settings there can be unhealthy competition. The hardest part of any health care setting is death. But timing of visits and travel always a challenge. My coworkers, nurses and managers are the best. And knowing that our clients are living, and dying in their own homes.

Service focused, there is a gym at one facility, no real play time but they used to have Christmas party

Direct management was good to start, but too often they promote within, and not based on qualifications, more about who you know, and time in,, that is the sad part,

Pros

no perks

Cons

lots of leg work - material and patient portering

Unsupportive management and work can be stressful

Left hand doesn't seem to know what the right hand is doing. Management hard to connect with and unhelpful. Understaffed and underpaid front line workers. Management and "leader" heavy.

Pros

Working with people

Cons

understaffed front line

Poor Treatment to employees and RESIDENTS

The employers didn’t care how new employees were being treated by senior employees. They were rude, provided poor care to residents, ignored call bells, and didn’t care about the residents concerns.

Worst management imaginable

When I first started it was the best job I ever had, management slowly changed over the years getting worse with every change. If you are not prepared to suck up to the bosses you will never get ahead. Promotions had nothing to do with job performance and everything about sucking up. Retired after 30 years, not one word from management. Didn’t even get an email saying thanks for coming. What kind of employer doesn’t even acknowledge a employee when they retire, VIHA that who.

Work is less stressful if you have a good team. Overall work atmosphere is good. Management is supportive and more shifts are always available. Happy to work for island health

Great job, awesome team

There is a great group of staff working here in all departments, it had good culture of teaching and growth. It is a small hospital and has a very close knit culture that supports each other.

Stressful work with little support from managment

The work culture is deteriorating, with increasing work levels and decreasing safety. Forced overtime and involuntary redeployment to non preferred sites destroys moral.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

Forced overtime

dangerous, toxic misogyny all day, every day

VIHA management is consistently staffed by people without any kind of suitable education, experience or basic grasp of ethical conduct. 4 managers watched the local medical director attack me personally on numerous occasions and did nothing. Apparently, you can get by in management if you keep your mouth shut and act thankful that the scapegoat is a staff person and not them.30 years in 4 different health authorities and VIHA is, without question, the lowest functioning, most corrupt organization I have ever worked for.

Pros

Cons

destrutive, punitive management attacks on the experienced health professionals who do the actual work

Very rewarding once you get past the scheduling issues!

The management of the community sector or island health in the Oceanside area is doing a great job of trying to keep their employees.., I feel accepted and I feel that as I am learning how to work in this setting, my supervisor is very supportive.Scheduling is a nightmare! Never enough staff, lots of revised schedules.The work is fair and fun and very rewarding.

Jobs at Island Health

See more jobs

Supportive work environment

Lots of further educational ops. Weekly team meetings to discuss clients, workplace issues, connect with team. Updated computer systems. Admin team helpful. Pleasant office space.

Pros

Flexible hours

Lovely staff at the Piercy Respite Hotel

Great place to work to create connections with patients and get involved in the medical field if you are a student wanting meaningful volunteer work!!

Productive workplace very stressful and it’s shift work most jobs

Productive workplace very stressful and it’s shift work most jobs!! There’s politics and every job keep to yourself you didn’t go to work to make friends!! Be a hard worker and very professional

Pros

8 hrs 2 30 min breaks 12 hrs 3, 35 min breaks good place to work it’s nice to move around in the job

Cons

Some areas there’s a lot of politics

Ever evolving and challenging work environment with strong emphasis on team work

A challenging and ever expanding area of health care. Skills oriented job which is as equally demanding of strong interpersonal/ social skills. Though the daily tasks and duties of the job are routine and often fast paced, the patient population is long term and chronic thereby creating strong connections with the unit and staff.

Not good

I enjoyed working with patients and some staff but the management in many dept, don't care. They are employees that have been promoted because the employer couldn't get rid of them. They don't care about the patients or staff. There have been many consultants that have been brought in to find out about the toxic workplace. They give their suggestions but the employer doesn't follow through or care

Cons

Very toxic workplace in all areas

Backwards approach to health care

Zero interest in providing education, best practice and or creating a positive work environment. The worst experience I’ve had working for a health region. Management heavy, litigation focused. Absolutely depressing work environment. Affordable housing was not worth leaving VCH.

Pros

Can’t identify any

Cons

Too many to name

Youth work

I loved working there at first. Lots of disfunction at first it seemed manageable.I was asking about a raise as I wanted to know the hrsThe second in charge told me the manager was in process of finding how to fire me. As actually they didn't follow the union rules regarding pay I would have been owed many hrs of over time as would others. They were worried I would realize and file a grievance.I had an allegation and upon return to work I was told it was still being investigated and that viha thinks I did something.I was utterly horrified however it was a lie.. I had a yr and half of this.Then I'm told I need a meeting with my union rep. I had enough and my fiancé asked me to quit.Basically they deserve each other.. could be an amazing place if some management changes made. When I quit I got ei, the EI rep said to me I believe in karma in all my years of doing this it's wow.. she was told I was a good worker but got upset over what occurred I couldn't take it.or they would have offered me a different job. At the other house . meanwhile they had tried to reprimand me for abuse over something that didn't occur and I got ei .. It took me 6 months to recover from this experience.I had job offers and interviews. But this company refuses to say much to potential employers. I emailed the hr person who keeps responding here.. she ignored it.

Pros

Liked the type of work, learned a lot

Cons

workplace culture

– 11 August 2020
This review is PENDING as it is for another employer - Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA) as indicated in the review itself. WJS Canada is in no way associated with VIHA.

Intentions are solid

It takes connections in IH to get a job there or to move up. Their interview check list is demeaning and usually irrelevant . I have seen so many incredible practitioners not get jobs because they didn’t use the right language (literally the right word) during an interview. Management positions are often held by professionals from other disciplines that have no relevance to the team they are leading my first week there I was put in my most challenging ethical dilemmas of my career only to find out that the staff, team lead and managers were aware and were covering it up

Pros

Flexible, decent pay, lots of work, promote education/training

Cons

Lateral violence, unqualified management, disorganized

Lacking support for injured workers.

Otherwise a good place to work. Good place for a career just don't get hurt and you will be fine. Co-workers are very supportive and helpful. Good team enviroment.

Unhappy all around

Bad experience all together. It’s an okay job for now. I got hurt on the job to the point I want able to use one side of my body. When I had to file a complaint, they try to push you back into work when you have reached a “plato” of your physio. Which means you’re not better nor are you as damaged yet you’re in a stage where your injury is at risk for further and more permanent damage. Which is exactly what happened in my case

Pros

You can do a course through the union or VIHA after you have worked over a certain amount of hours

Cons

They have the worst union ever

This aspect varies greatly depending where you work.

Worklife balance is important to the Island Health. It is not universal. The culture at work differs between programs and also between union vs non-union worlds.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Island Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement