ISL Engineering and Land Services

ISL Engineering and Land Services Employee Reviews

Canada12 reviews
ISL Engineering
This engineering firm prides itself in its corporate culture and work life balance which can border on cult-like at times. They have seen good growth lately but senior management seem to be operating over their capacity and internal staff discussions are that many Managers have no idea what they are doing.

If you don't have your engineers ring, don't expect them to put any value in you and job security mirrors that sentiment.
Positive work environment
Fantastic environment with plenty of support and team oriented work. Great summer student experience for future employment. Immediate supervisor was extremely knowledgeable.
Good place to work, but only as a P. Eng
ISL is a good company that treats their employees fairly...they pride themselves on a good corporate culture, but if you ask around the office nobody knows what that entails. They hold yearly staff development seminars that are lavish and bordering on cultish.

My manager was component, kind and caring but they put no value on you unless you have a P. Eng.

I would NOT recommend working here to anyone I liked or cared about.
Great place to work!
Great company culture, room for advancement and an overall positive environment. Excellent Benefits and RRSP plan. Employees are kind and helpful. They offer flexibile schedules as well
Most enjoyable part of the job
Coming to work and enjoying who you work with the atmosphere of your work place. Working on projects that interest me. The excitement of winning the work.
Very wonderful experience at ISL
Excellent Office Culture. Patient and kind project managers that are willing to mentor and train their employees. Great benefits. Fantastic relationships can be built with fellow employees, managers, and all staff.
Probably one of the better small - mid engineering companies to work for....
A pretty good place to work overall, but employees have to be pro-active with management to receive individual or group performance feedback. Employees are directed to chase their managers if performance reviews are not performed as scheduled. Good potential to work share, or contribute to projects in satellite offices.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Management does not often solicit opinions of project managers.
A great place for young professionals to work.
ISL’s employees are dedicated to working hard but also playing hard. The culture of ISL is one I have come to admire and I hope to see this emulated throughout many other workplaces.
Working for ISL has been very rewarding and I’ve mer so many great friends and colleagues working here. I would recommend this company to everyone.
Pros
Great culture, professional and clean office, the people!
Tense, high pressure, environment
This used to be a great place to work, now it is less so. Staff are tense and unsure, nervous about their continued employment.
Long hours are expected but time off in lieu of overtime does not usually occur due to the high volume work load.

Employees are more concerned with keeping their own position secure than working as a team in some of the departments.

This situation has been encouraged by management in recent months and has allowed the work environment to deteriorate from its previous Number 2 status with the Small Business surveys.
Cons
long hours are requred, life / work balance is less than satisfactory.
A good place to work
I really liked working at ISL. They have a good reputation and do good work. Staff is friendly and professional.

Unfortunately the economy caught up to them after struggling for about a year and a half the tough decision to make some layoffs and I got caught in the net.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
mentoring and guidance need improving
Productive work environment
The work was proposal driven with very busy or slow periods.
Small company of about 350 employees in offices in Western Canada (BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan).
Pros
Company events
Cons
Slow periods
Incredible Company
I couldn't have asked for a better position, employer or benefits. Had head office decided against our closure, I would still be happily employed with ISL.

Daily duties included everything from contract document creation, answering/directing of calls, tender creation, meeting minutes, records management, billing and so on.

I was challenged daily which enabled me to build my skills dramatically. The most difficult part would have to be having 4 Project Engineers needing my skills all at once. We worked well as a team and never missed a deadline.