Irwin's Safety & Industrial Labour Services Ltd.

Irwin's Safety & Industrial Labour Services Ltd. Employee Reviews

Great company but long hours and inconsistent availability of work

Great company to work for, provide training and have supportive management most of the time. Very good with reacting to unsafe workers and removing them from site as needed. Pay is okay for the industry but low by some companies standards. Long hours and long contracts are tiring and there is not always work available for everyone. 90% of people working there are great.

Pros

Great staff

Cons

not a lot of work contracts

Great workplace environment. Innovative, Positive culture.

I have enjoyed working for Irwin's Safety. Great communication with Management and Resources. Lots of room to move up in organization. Have experienced Managers that have moved their way up through the ranks through hard work and commitment to continuous improvement, and representing well. As much work as I have wanted, they have provided. Always paid on time, and management has been reasonable in providing raises and advances if I have needed one.

Great Company all around

One of the best companies I’ve ever worked for. Great Management and Mentorship. I’ve worked in many industries and like the way Irwin’s does things. I would recommend to anyone looking to grow there safety career or looking for extra project work to fill the bank

Fast-Paced Environment

Recognizing my potential after working as a CSA for a week, I quickly moved into a supervisory role. I have enjoyed working with Irwin's Safety and would recommend it to entry-level workers looking to get their foot in the door. - Lots of work opportunities (project-based) - Benefits Offered - Bonus Program to reward hard work - Supportive Team - Opportunities for advancement - Enjoyable atmosphere

Does the term "joke" mean anything to you?

- they give you very little notice, to get ready and travel to their projects (of which a majority have been lost to other safety companies, due to negligence, staffing issues, so on and so on...) - people somehow pass the drug tests, which is disturbing - their safety supervisors are usually drunk or hungover. yes, the same ones in charge of confined spaces, supervising other Irwins employees, and H2S monitoring. - according to trades workers, they nearly killed somebody by leaving them to die, in a chamber filled with H2S, while walking away from the incident... if you happen to be Union reading this, i'd recommend talking to your Union representatives about how much of a no-no, this is. - they hate Union. please re-read this entire review over and over again, until it burns into your minds forever. especially if you are a Union member, or anyone who entrusts their lives unto another human being. - they hate paying their employees, looking for any and all shortcuts, 24 hours a day. top-down, nickel and diming. - no opportunity to move up - leadership non-existent - no human resources. uphill battle, JUST to even talk to somebody at their own offices. which is sad. - as someone else pointed on here, they have a tendency to fire people, mere days after showing up to work on a project. - they treat industry veterans, like trash. - it's not uncommon, to have drunk or high coworkers, on shift. and last but not least, the entire company feels like it's being run by a biker gang or something, because i can't think of any other companies in Canada, that could EVER -

Management is as useless as a knitted condom.

They seem professional on the surface. After my training they completely dropped the ball. I didn't get any calls in, they dropped me from the email list, they dodge emails and they seem to have a chronic case of "not my job". I didn't get paid when I was supposed to be paid and had trouble contacting anyone about it. If I had to summarize management in a word? Incompetence

Biggest joke in the industry

This company is a joke, and everyone in the industry knows it. They lost a lot of safety contracts due to poor management, and the majority of their role in Alberta now is unskilled labour. They consistently mistrack hours and neglect to pay employees. They’ll have you drive across the province on 12 hours notice to lay you off 3 days later. I wouldn’t work for this company again if my life depended on it, which is sad because as a safety company people’s lives often depend on them.

Cons

Poor management, inability to pay, time wasters

Biggest joke in the industry

This company is a joke, and everyone in the industry knows it. They frequently forget to pay employees, and will have you drive across the province just to lay you off 3 days later. I wouldn’t work for this company again if my life depended on it, which is sad considering they’re a safety company, and lives often do depend on it. One of, if not THE worst managed companies I’ve ever worked for.

Cons

Poor management, Inability to pay, time waster

Great people to work with!!

Had a great experience with Irwin’s. I appreciate that the staff get to know you and take an interest in your training and success thru mentoring and support

Most helpful managment i have worked with

So easy to get along with upper management. And they are so understanding about personal needs/time off. They truly try to work with you as much as possible to keep you satisfied

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Irwin's Safety & Industrial Labour Services Ltd.?

Office staff try their best but Project Lead and Leadership falls short

There is constant chaos at best. Employees made to feel like they are not important to the company. Lots of tension between staff. Almost minimum wage is not worth the stress. No benefits no assistance or compensation for getting additional tickets.

Pros

Clients are great

Cons

The way staff are treated. Low wages

Can’t make payroll

Held many pay checks at their bank Chequers held still owed money they need to pay their people. They sent all of us home after a stop work notice and still not paid

Pros

Non

Cons

They can’t pay

Workplace

Irwin Safety has a safety culture that is A-1 top notch. They provide safety training as well as CSA training Confined Space training. They provide this training as part of their Confined Space Attendant duties that will be preformed in the field. I found the the dynamics involved in this company very supportive and learned about coal fired and gas fired electrical generation.

Pros

Always get paid

Cons

You might find your self in a remote area and live in a hotel or 2

Great company and welcoming

Ive been working off and on with Irwins now for just over 3.5 years traveling around and doing various jobs. The company is very welcoming and a great atmosphere to work with. Oppurtunity for advancement and more work is there if you show to be a hard worker and a team player. Pay rate is okay starting off. Overall I really enjoy working with Irwins and hope to do more in the future.

Fun Workplace, Great Co-Workers, Fitness Noon Hours, Sports Nights

Irwin's is a fun place to work. The entire office joins a sports league all year round and even has fitness hours at noon. The management team is passionate about what they do and driven to make not only the business successful but everyone that supports it as well. All the office walls and classrooms have whiteboards for walls.

Pros

teamwork, healthy lifestyles

Cons

super long hours

very unsettled atmosphere

was a very stressful environment, there was constant change in management. The office staff got along very well and all did their very best with promoting the business.

Good Beginner Job

A little chaotic at times, but good if you are desperate. No benefits and close to minimum wage. Cleaning offices and washroom around the Sheerness Generating Station

fun place to work, good hours and pay, great owner. would work here again. working away on shutdowns was fun and a good way to save money lalalalalala

Productive and fun workplace

Freedom to build your own process. Learned a great deal about Safety in Canada Management gives opportunity to explore Hardest part of job is the ever-changing environment Most enjoyable part is I loved Accounting

Flexible workplace culture with enough opportunity to apply your skills

Irwin's Industrial Safety is one of the top 200 company in the field of HSE. It's a nice place to work. I got enough opportunity to use my skills with balanced learning opportunities.

great place to work

small customer oriented business, great workplace. fun and fresh environment. small crews and great potential for advancement. great leaders and great co-workers.

Pros

great experience overall

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Irwin's Safety & Industrial Labour Services Ltd.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement
  • Irwin's Safety & Industrial Labour Services Ltd.