Irving Shipbuilding

Irving Shipbuilding Employee Reviews

Canada16 reviews
Was an interesting experience that I am proud to have been apart of
I worked as a piping designer contractor. I think as an actual Irving employee would be a better experience overall. I'm not complaining, but contractors just get treated differently. But that's the gig and I was fortunate to have it while it lasted!
Part of a Generational Work Enviroment
Irving Shipbuilding is going through the Growing Pains of becoming a world class shipbuilding Company. Co-workers for the most part are extremely helpful but with over 1500 employees there is certainly some bad apples.
Pros
Co-Workers, Steady Employment
Cons
Too Many layers of Management
Not a great place to work
Some managers are there not because of what they can do, but rather by who they know. They get by by riding the tailcoats of those who work for them.
HR will throw you under the bus in order to keep subcontractors happy even though the subcontractors are in violation of policy.
Pros
Salary, benefits.
Cons
Incompetent managers. Parking, Wwrrd
The yard with a doubtful reputation (if any)
They keep posting same positions within 1 year at least. I am pro with rare specific education and experience in the shipbuilding and naval architecture industry but never get even any response from them.
The negative answer will work as well but silence...US companies normally react fast, just because they need someone for real work "right now".

Therefore, I have to work in the USA, far from home, instead of supporting and developing the Canadian industry. Why is like that? Well, you guess...
Pros
close to home
Cons
doubtful reputation
Do not work here.
Do not work here. Run like a prison. Management will lie to you. Management lies to each other. Then expects you to lie for them. Work is disorganized. Lacking parts and instructions. Unsafe working conditions. Lacking in employee parking. Dog eat dog enviorment.
Very Busy Workplace
I have work at Irving Shipbuilding for the past 18 months. Its been rewarding and educational. Salary and Benefits are top notch. Partially Unionized with there office staff making job decisions base on seniority rather than work ethic can make an outsider a little disgruntled. However overall its been very educational. I've worked in Healthcare and the Grocery Industry and Shipbuilding...where will I go next!
Pros
Salary
Cons
Unionized
terrible place to work
will not recommend that place to anyone.
they bent the saftey rules to suit themselves

worst company i ever worked for, no union backing

management forgot who makes their wages.
Pros
get to go home every day
Cons
run like a military jail with no pool table.
I worked here for eight years and I have to say it’s not a bad place to work at all. Good crew to work with for the most part. My favourite is the work though, I miss being 80 feet in the air with rain, sleet and high winds blowing at your back while you struggle to maintain your balance as your sandblasting a hull of a 500 foot long ship. And don’t even get me started on the tanks. Good place to work , at the end of the day it’s all about the money and they pay really good. 32.50 an hour top rate. With OT I could clear up to 1600 weekly
Pros
Lots, wage, RRSP’s, medical/dental, job security, pretty laided back work at times
Cons
Some foremans, yard wide no smoking which was brought into effect only recently, hard work, unhealthy work, long hours
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Irving Shipbuilding?
not great
Just another number. The decent pay scale doesnt make up for the lack of respect and headaches found working for this company. Treated like school kids.
Irving Shipbuilding
Their managers are young and think they know more the seasoned employees. You can not mention a better way to do things as they find it insubordinate because they didn't think of it. Their culture is horrible as it is a dog eat dog environment. Job was easy, but when one person complained or didn't want to do something they didn't like doing it got handed off to the person with the better work ethics.
Pros
No pros
Cons
They have hired managers with no experience, just education. Big difference.
Poor Communication
Although I loved my job at Irving they are so money hungry that they do not understand the needs nor stress of the staff members. They hire young and expect that the older generation should be seen and not heard. Their HR department only listens to management and is not there for other staff members.
Pros
Busy
Cons
Everyone that is in management is trying to run the company
Ship Repair
Repair and upgrade Navy ships. Build new ships. Lots of blueprint reading. Always learning new skills. Union job. Work at heights, confined spaces, work in all weather.
Pros
Interesting work, always learning
Cons
Job security
Maintenance Planner/ Facilities Planner:
- Developing and implementing Preventative maintenance program for Facilities
- Perform planning and estimating of preventive/corrective work orders for equipment and systems and facilities within the Irving shipyard(using drawings, manuals, and past history)

- Prepare purchase requisitions for work requirements and expedite these orders

- Create current and future work schedule for supervisors

- Oversee work on equipment and systems; highly involved with subcontractors

- Review and approve invoices for services and materials

- Responsible for ensuring that equipment and system certifications are up to standard

- Proficient with CMMS system

- Supervise and maintain a current backlog summary of Preventive Maintenance/Predictive Maintenance and inspections that are due
Unsafe and exploitative work
Each day starts with being given a job and a time it is expected to be completed, delays caused by setting up safety measures required often lead to verbal or written warnings. Lead paint was present in the workplace and known by management but, not to the workers until months later and lead removal procedures were not taught to the teams assigned to lead paint removal (wrong respirators for the ammonia fumes and rooms were not sealed off properly) ventilation is poor and setting up additional ventilation as instructed in orientation can lead to verbal and/or written warnings. Complaining of a job being to dangerous due to lack in safety may lead to verbal or written warning and worker is replaced by another to do the same job in same conditions.
Despite being unionized, management continues violate the union agreement and replaces workers with subcontractors who receive a smaller wage.
Pros
Good wages for the location
Cons
Dirty work, unreliable parking, chaotic work procedures, incomplete work instructions
Excellent workforce, poorly managed
co-workers are great, very demanding and rewarding job.
under-paid. Plant is over managed. Too much time and energy used to harrass the work force when it could be used to manage projects.

Supervisors hired for security duty to patrol lunch rooms and locker rooms and are not hired to know their job.
Pros
working close to home
Cons
low pay
Unpaid work experience with Irving Shipbuilding
This was part of an unpaid work term as part of my Construction & Industrial Electrician - Certificate program at NSCC. It was a good experience and I got to get some hands on experience working for a company.
Pros
constantly changing environment, many different skills needed
Cons
was not paid work.