Irving Oil

Irving Oil Employee Reviews

Canada96 reviews
The crew are incredible
The company provide all PPE

The company invest in training on the job

The shifts are not bad

The environment is not stresseful
I loved working here, i had lots of regular customers that would come in everyday to see me and have coffee, Managment was amazing they understood how a store should be run and did it smoothly,
Pros
great hours, great management
Cons
poor salary
This is a great company to work for. High salaries plus benefits.
I liked it because I was doing what I studied for, analyzing the rotating equipment performance data. The team members were great as well plus I got so much support from senior staff
Pros
High salaries and Benefits
Productive and good work atmosphere-excellent meals for reaching goals
Pros
good work schedule for shift work
Cons
outside work in winter
I worked for The subway section of Irving Oil.
A typical day was busy by rewarding. Time flies when you are busy,

Management was alright however I didn't like the fact you didn't go home with tips, but at the end of the month you went home with Irving gift certificates. I loved the employees I worked with, and the schedule I had. I enjoyed the customers talking, and the one lady who said she likes to see people cleaning the tables because it reassures her that it is clean.
Pros
A great work experience.
Cons
Being able to work with customers who are ignorant. ( Its a self control thing, just smile and bare it and you are okay)
I loved my job working in the B2C department of Irving Oil. They are extremely good to their employees.
I became a pro at my job and often trained others. I worked extra hours and also took on some extra work from other departments that needed my help.

My day consisted of reconciling accounts, doing match offs, credits and rebills and working with a program called Peoplesoft.

I was hired through Adecco on a 3 month contract, but my contract was extended. I wanted a permanent position there so badly! I wanted to officially be part of the JDI team. As time passed, people I had trained (who were also hired from Adecco) were given full time employment. I would often ask my boss if there was anything I could do to also be offered a job. She would often say "in another few months" or "when we move over to the Aliant building" but I was never offered a full time, permanent position. I asked Adecco what I could do. They told me in order to apply for a permanent position, my current position would have to let me go. As long as I was tied to my department, another department couldn't take me on full time. So I put in my 2 weeks notice, determined to reapply and be rehired as an official employee. As I waited to get a reply to my resume, I took on more contract work and was hired for permanent position elsewhere. I never did hear from Irving again. Till this day I still reapply, but I do think perhaps I was misinformed and should have stayed.
Pros
Great employer, flexability for extra hours
Cons
Hard to advance
A typical day would involve the safe and efficient operation of the area in the Refinery to which I'd been assinged.
What I learned was how to teach and instruct my co-workers in various aspects to the job.

The management was of the mind set that the more responsibility you where willing to accept the more would be given to you.

The hardest part of the job was shift work

The most enjoyable part of the job was applying my knowledge to get the job done
Pros
excellent pay
Cons
shift work
Lots of work to be done. Lots of people to meet. Never a dull moment!
Good - lots of room for advancement, nothing bad to say, everyone is friendly.
good
enjoyable team environment, the ability to job shadow to learn more, multiple job opportuities
Left because my husband found a job elsewhere so I followed him,but this was a great job and by the time I came back this business was shut down and sold.
Pros
was close to home
Cons
closed
We worked twelve hour shifts that were five days on (two days-three nights) four days off and four days on (two days-two nights) five days off. My shift started with a routine maintenance check of all pumps and oil pressures. I would then gather multiple samples from all over our section of the plant. I would then perform all the necessary tests on each sample and record the data, which will would then be inputted by myself into the computer. Next I would check the control operation screens for abnormal levels in our section of the plant. I made sure to spend equal time in all areas of our section (Hydrogen Plant, Amine Gas Treating Plant, and Sulfur Plant).

I learned how to perform various chemical and physical test on (multiple) samples. I became familiar with routine checks and how to perform the maintenance on equipment. Learned to guided myself through the operating controls software (what to check for, where everything is at, what happens to one area if another area fails).

Management was wonderful, they had trust in the workers and for the most part allowed us to run our sections. They were the mediator between all the sections of the plant up in Control Operations.

The team I was placed in was always willing to answer any questions I had. They allowed me to perform tasks on my own and was always there to guide me through something new. I feel they were more of a teammate then a co-worker, there was usually on 5-6 people in each section and we got to know each other all quite well.

The most enjoyable part of this job was the balance of work and life. We got our schedules
 - more...
Pros
shift work (provides great work/life balance), being part of a team that works close together, knowledge (there is always something to learn every day)
Fantastic Company to work for,but buisness is buisness and they had to lay me off because of cut backs.Loved working for this company.
Pros
family orintated
good place to work,clean facilities and very safety aware. I was a shipper receiver and demolition of waste materials
Pros
lunch rooms
Cons
not enough work
Plant operator,team leader/shift trainer. I was also on the emergency response team
Pros
good money
Cons
lack of jobs in nb
Productive company to work for with good medical benifits. Great people as well.