Irving Oil

Irving Oil Employee Reviews

The crew are incredible
The company provide all PPE

The company invest in training on the job

The shifts are not bad

The environment is not stresseful
This is a great job it just wasn’t for me. The trainers are great and it’s very people oriented. I actually felt like I knew what I was doing. So a plus
Pros
You know what to do
Cons
Too much time
This company preaches safety to the degree that you are micro managed every single second of your work day. They perform audits on you in secret and if you do not do the job in the manner they trained you to do it you are chastised. Analytics are used in a MAJOR way with this company. The miles you drive, the hours you work, the gallons you deliver, the MPG your truck gets while you work. If you go over the posted speed limit by 4 mph three times in one shift you are wrote up. They are NOT the top paying company in the industry. You will be stuck working weekends for a very long time due to senoirity.
Pros
they do offer a nice family atmosphere
Cons
extreme micro management and low pay for all that is asked of you
Working at the refinery, I was removed from the uptown culture of Irving Oil, and sometimes felt isolated.
Team at refinery was efficient and quick for decisions and work completion.
J’adorais avoir contacte avec les clients reguliers,le travail d’équipe aussi jai bien aimer.J’aimais les journées d’été lorsque cétais plus pressé.Une journée typique: je faisais environ des 8-9 h par jours environ 4 fois pas semaine et environ 5-6 jours l’été j’ai adorée
The people are what makes working at Irving Oil one of the best jobs I have ever had. Collaborating is such a prominent feature in their work culture, which allows you to grow meaningful relationships with your coworkers. These relationships are what makes you want to wake up in the morning and go to the office.
Pros
Career opportunities
Although I had some tough times transitioning into this new adventure, the company as a whole gave a fair amount of support along the way. Some of the benefits are a little costly, but they are good. The pay is really good as well as personal flexibility in regards to time off and what not.
I’ll been working at Irving for 21 years it was good company to work with they are always take good care of people working with them they have good benefits .
I loved working at Irving over the summer of 2019. I met a lot of amazing people and how the lifestyle/work life at a refinery operates. Working outside does have its downsides with the rain and whatnot but that is unavoidable. All in all, an amazing experience and I would hope to do it again.
I was one of the first 8 that was hired here and was a great experience until they started hired no nothing's and becoming your supervisor and start making your job that much harder by changing the way you always done thing for years as a driver and starting doing check list for things that didn't make sense, seemed like they were always trying to set you up for failure and then just let you go for no reason but they did pay a severance package. Since when I was hired on, I've heard this place went downhill fast and going through people left and right because they treat you like a kids on how to do your job. They famous saying is "pilots do check lists.. so that is why we have check lists for everything" suprising they dont have a check list for you to do to the restroom.
Ok at best. They amount of money they pay and what they expect ar not at all in line with each other.
Better Management's not a bad idea . Better pay would help the drivers wanna do more. And not worrie about other peoples work load. It's like your punished for doing your job efficiently as a driver especially back shift. We all have to do are work . Not the other drivers work as well.
The New Dispatch manager who has only been there 8 months has a few Favorites, if she does not like you at hello, then your job is in jeopardy. I lost my job because she was determined that I be let go ,so reported a story to Human resources draped in fiction
Maine is a at will State , so employers can let you go with out any reason .
Every manager on your team will teach you an complete different process for each important job task. Processes are often changed but will usually only be communicated to 1-2 team members while everyone else is kept in the dark and made to feel stupid at every chance. Department & Senior Clerk come off as polite but are EXTREME gossipers and badmouth EVERY employee (and each other) as soon as their back is turned. It is extremely hard to feel like you're part of a company who brags about being so innovative when really it's every man for himself.
Pros
Easy job, decent pay, sign on bonus
Cons
Hours are inconsistent, terrible team management, inadequate inter-team communication
Its a fast paced position , with rates per hour, competitive, can be stressful if you do not take direction well. Full training on the job Fork lift, reach truck Whimis and saftey training
Excellent place to work, Great Team work and support. Support for the management team was helpful when designing business Financial Reports. Feedback on results was immediate.
Pros
Team Work
Cons
Family oriented company, many different personalities, incredibly busy, stressful environment, fair management, not enough resources (equipment or staffing)
there raises are none existence so if you don't negotiate a good rate of pay you will never get a decent raise. In the summer they follow you around and write you up on things you do through out the day
Working for GDI at the Irving Oil Refinery has been a decent experience. We work 7-4 Monday to Friday with weekends off and opportunities for over time. Sometimes we get cake. but the Manager of day shift is not worth working for. the job is simple, the people are easy to get along with, but the management is on a huge power trip and does not do her job. She expects you to do her job. A lot of drama, nit picking, favoritism, and stress. You walk through the gates and you instantly feel sick.
company support employees to build there career.
open communication culture, managing operation budget. online courses available, regular meeting to report on the status and improvements.
Pros
supporting culture
Cons
There were some benefits but the management was slow to react with changes and unwilling to accept the outcomes.

Wages were lower than they should have been for the work load and responsibility’s of the position.
Irving is a good company to work for, however some of the sections are way understaffed and as such it creates a very stressful environment to work in and moral and safety suffer because of this. In my division we have specialists that don’t fully understand the process and managers that put production before safety.