Irving Oil

Irving Oil Employee Reviews

The crew are incredible The company provide all PPE The company invest in training on the job The shifts are not bad The environment is not stresseful
Worked at Irving for over a year. Leadership is in the blame mode for safety. They are reactive, not proactive. They look for blame rather than focusing on emotional intelligence and investing in people not just statistics.Also the are always looking to point the finger rather than grab you by the hand for a learning moment. They also seek problems outside the department with operations so that the focus is outside the safety department and reflects back on operations. They are about 8-10 years behind the industry culture. A change in the safety management area is required to move the needle and to create proper impact for the font line and overall business
Pros
Operations is friendly and pay is aligned with industry
Cons
micro management, immature safety management, culture of blameworthiness, lack of leadership development
Employer does not care for employees and would lay off employees to save their own pocket. So no job security and it is against their saying: care for employees and their families.
Pros
Salary
Cons
No job security
Working at the refinery, I was removed from the uptown culture of Irving Oil, and sometimes felt isolated. Team at refinery was efficient and quick for decisions and work completion.
J’adorais avoir contacte avec les clients reguliers,le travail d’équipe aussi jai bien aimer.J’aimais les journées d’été lorsque cétais plus pressé.Une journée typique: je faisais environ des 8-9 h par jours environ 4 fois pas semaine et environ 5-6 jours l’été j’ai adorée
The people are what makes working at Irving Oil one of the best jobs I have ever had. Collaborating is such a prominent feature in their work culture, which allows you to grow meaningful relationships with your coworkers. These relationships are what makes you want to wake up in the morning and go to the office.
Pros
Career opportunities
I loved working at Irving over the summer of 2019. I met a lot of amazing people and how the lifestyle/work life at a refinery operates. Working outside does have its downsides with the rain and whatnot but that is unavoidable. All in all, an amazing experience and I would hope to do it again.
I was one of the first 8 that was hired here and was a great experience until they started hired no nothing's and becoming your supervisor and start making your job that much harder by changing the way you always done thing for years as a driver and starting doing check list for things that didn't make sense, seemed like they were always trying to set you up for failure and then just let you go for no reason but they did pay a severance package. Since when I was hired on, I've heard this place went downhill fast and going through people left and right because they treat you like a kids on how to do your job. They famous saying is "pilots do check lists.. so that is why we have check lists for everything" suprising they dont have a check list for you to do to the restroom.
Ok at best. They amount of money they pay and what they expect ar not at all in line with each other. Better Management's not a bad idea . Better pay would help the drivers wanna do more. And not worrie about other peoples work load. It's like your punished for doing your job efficiently as a driver especially back shift. We all have to do are work . Not the other drivers work as well.
Its a fast paced position , with rates per hour, competitive, can be stressful if you do not take direction well. Full training on the job Fork lift, reach truck Whimis and saftey training
Excellent place to work, Great Team work and support. Support for the management team was helpful when designing business Financial Reports. Feedback on results was immediate.
Pros
Team Work
Cons
Family oriented company, many different personalities, incredibly busy, stressful environment, fair management, not enough resources (equipment or staffing)
Working for GDI at the Irving Oil Refinery has been a decent experience. We work 7-4 Monday to Friday with weekends off and opportunities for over time. Sometimes we get cake. but the Manager of day shift is not worth working for. the job is simple, the people are easy to get along with, but the management is on a huge power trip and does not do her job. She expects you to do her job. A lot of drama, nit picking, favoritism, and stress. You walk through the gates and you instantly feel sick.
company support employees to build there career. open communication culture, managing operation budget. online courses available, regular meeting to report on the status and improvements.
Pros
supporting culture
Cons
There were some benefits but the management was slow to react with changes and unwilling to accept the outcomes. Wages were lower than they should have been for the work load and responsibility’s of the position.
Irving is a good company to work for, however some of the sections are way understaffed and as such it creates a very stressful environment to work in and moral and safety suffer because of this. In my division we have specialists that don’t fully understand the process and managers that put production before safety.
It would be the perfect job juste paid the OT it's that simple and let the driver drive. Management should listen to the experience driver and not the clerk.
My time at Irving allowed me to develop many skills necessary for a professional work environment. It is where I learned my communication and customer service skills effectively.
very bad management take the words of people they don't know over there employees that have been dedicated and loyal to the company for many years. hardest part of the job is dealing with all the other employees trying to better themselves on hurting someone else careers.
Really liked working there. Good group of people. Learned many a new skills and made some good friends. Would definitely recommend to work there for anyone who is looking for security
Great Job, unfortunately the inner politics is not very desirable. Turns into a dog eat dog mentality. This type of behavior is encouraged from upper management.
  1. Employee reviews