Irving Oil

Canada96 reviews
Best place to work
The crew are incredible
The company provide all PPE

The company invest in training on the job

The shifts are not bad

The environment is not stresseful
Working at the refinery, I was removed from the uptown culture of Irving Oil, and sometimes felt isolated.
Team at refinery was efficient and quick for decisions and work completion.
Adorer cette emploie
J’adorais avoir contacte avec les clients reguliers,le travail d’équipe aussi jai bien aimer.J’aimais les journées d’été lorsque cétais plus pressé.Une journée typique: je faisais environ des 8-9 h par jours environ 4 fois pas semaine et environ 5-6 jours l’été j’ai adorée
Top notch work culture
The people are what makes working at Irving Oil one of the best jobs I have ever had. Collaborating is such a prominent feature in their work culture, which allows you to grow meaningful relationships with your coworkers. These relationships are what makes you want to wake up in the morning and go to the office.
Pros
Career opportunities
Amazing
I loved working at Irving over the summer of 2019. I met a lot of amazing people and how the lifestyle/work life at a refinery operates. Working outside does have its downsides with the rain and whatnot but that is unavoidable. All in all, an amazing experience and I would hope to do it again.
Ok job but management sucks
I was one of the first 8 that was hired here and was a great experience until they started hired no nothing's and becoming your supervisor and start making your job that much harder by changing the way you always done thing for years as a driver and starting doing check list for things that didn't make sense, seemed like they were always trying to set you up for failure and then just let you go for no reason but they did pay a severance package. Since when I was hired on, I've heard this place went downhill fast and going through people left and right because they treat you like a kids on how to do your job. They famous saying is "pilots do check lists.. so that is why we have check lists for everything" suprising they dont have a check list for you to do to the restroom.
Ok at best
Ok at best. They amount of money they pay and what they expect ar not at all in line with each other.
Better Management's not a bad idea . Better pay would help the drivers wanna do more. And not worrie about other peoples work load. It's like your punished for doing your job efficiently as a driver especially back shift. We all have to do are work . Not the other drivers work as well.
Fast paced
Its a fast paced position , with rates per hour, competitive, can be stressful if you do not take direction well. Full training on the job Fork lift, reach truck Whimis and saftey training
Very Productive
Excellent place to work, Great Team work and support. Support for the management team was helpful when designing business Financial Reports. Feedback on results was immediate.
Pros
Team Work
Cons
Overall, good
Family oriented company, many different personalities, incredibly busy, stressful environment, fair management, not enough resources (equipment or staffing)
Easy job good hours
Working for GDI at the Irving Oil Refinery has been a decent experience. We work 7-4 Monday to Friday with weekends off and opportunities for over time. Sometimes we get cake. but the Manager of day shift is not worth working for. the job is simple, the people are easy to get along with, but the management is on a huge power trip and does not do her job. She expects you to do her job. A lot of drama, nit picking, favoritism, and stress. You walk through the gates and you instantly feel sick.
funwork place
company support employees to build there career.
open communication culture, managing operation budget. online courses available, regular meeting to report on the status and improvements.
Pros
supporting culture
Cons
Nice but fustrating
There were some benefits but the management was slow to react with changes and unwilling to accept the outcomes.

Wages were lower than they should have been for the work load and responsibility’s of the position.
Good company with badly run divisions.
Irving is a good company to work for, however some of the sections are way understaffed and as such it creates a very stressful environment to work in and moral and safety suffer because of this. In my division we have specialists that don’t fully understand the process and managers that put production before safety.
Excellent companies
It would be the perfect job juste paid the OT it's that simple and let the driver drive. Management should listen to the experience driver and not the clerk.
My time at Irving allowed me to develop many skills necessary for a professional work environment. It is where I learned my communication and customer service skills effectively.
decent place to work
very bad management take the words of people they don't know over there employees that have been dedicated and loyal to the company for many years. hardest part of the job is dealing with all the other employees trying to better themselves on hurting someone else careers.
Good stable place to create a future
Really liked working there. Good group of people. Learned many a new skills and made some good friends. Would definitely recommend to work there for anyone who is looking for security
Na
Great Job, unfortunately the inner politics is not very desirable. Turns into a dog eat dog mentality. This type of behavior is encouraged from upper management.
it was a very friendly work place with many kind people
a typical day at the Irving was pretty standard as we had a schedule we followed as our coworkers made sure we had fun while doing our jobs. It gave me a good understanding as to how to make sure I'm pleasing as many customers as possible. The hardest part of the job was when you would occasionally get the bad customer who just wants to be unhappy, as any workplace though, you get both good and bad people walking through the door.
Don’t be a Irving fool
They always need guys for home delivery and always will cause they don’t pay enough. Your doing then a huge favour by hauling there furnace oil they should pay the price. Then you won’t get enough hours for EI in the end, plus they treat you like a dog all winter they talk safety and hire well skilled sales men as managers to talk smooth but they have no idea.