IRC Building Sciences Group Employee Reviews

A Workplace that Feels Like Home
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 January 2018
Having worked primarily for huge conglomerate companies in the past, in both the United States and Canada, I can honestly say that working for a privately owned business is a much better experience.

At IRC, employees are treated like family. Managers and even the owner have an open-door policy, allowing anyone to seek help or just talk about what's on their mind. Just like at home, there's always free tea and coffee in the kitchen, and lately, fresh fruit all day and every day. People are warm and nice to each other, and management tries to encourage socializing by hosting events, luncheons, field trips, and even after-work programs like fitness memberships and classes.

As the company has grown however, it seems like it's harder to maintain that personal touch that IRC has been known for. There have also been a few managers that have come - and thankfully now gone - in the last few years who didn't fit in with the company philosophy, but that seems to have worked itself out.

In my opinion, there is actually a huge amount loyalty at IRC, and this can best be proven by the large number of employees that have been at IRC for over 25 years. We are so lucky to have some of the most seasoned and experienced engineers and experts in our field, and there is obviously a reason that they've all chosen to enjoy the rest of their careers here. The loyalty goes both ways!

Nobody is perfect, and IRC has room for improvement. The company is growing, and as it gets bigger, sometimes the little personal touches get overlooked in favour of policies and rules. There also isn't much
  more... flexibility on hours or working from home, but that doesn't really affect me. Overall, I hope that IRC keeps an eye on the people because we have some of the best, and for the most part, we are treated like family here!  less
Pros
Half-days on Fridays, a full week of paid time-off between Xmas & New Years (no need to use vacation days), ongoing education and professional development paid for by company
Cons
Bosses are perfectionists, not much flexibility on hours, can get busy at times meeting deadlines for high-profile clients and projects
Good people but no loyalty to employees
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 January 2018
I had a great time with the people. Needless to say when I was hired I was told not to worry about loosing my job due to not enough work and that we would "ride the storm" sadly I ended up loosing my job to that very reason. Still love the people and I don't resent the place but in retrospect I feel some loyalty or maybe a heads up would have been nice. If they were loosing contracts or not getting enough I feel they should have just cut down on the grandeur of it all. Maybe have quarterly meetings to let us know of our success/failures. Maybe not hire more people. its a kind of fake it until they make it kind of attitude.
Pros
Free pizza lunches once a month, free golf tourney once a year, grand meetings of all management, Huge parties, numerous convention booths, management gets all the money.
Cons
no loyalty, fake it until you make it, not enough work
No loyalty to employees
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 January 2018
No loyalty to employees. Office is fancy, they spend lots of money on events and give the appearance of success, but as soon as there is any sign of profit decrease they start firing people left right centre. Even people who are there for long time get let go with no warning. Just care about the bottom line and business is poorly managed. A lot of employee turnover. Always looking over your shoulder to see if you are the next one that fired
Pros
Nice office, gym membership
Cons
business poorly run, high turnover is stressful
Good place if you have no ambition
Roofing inspector (Current Employee) –  Mississauga20 June 2015
Where you start is where you'll stay. After you master your job there is only downhill to go as the routine and boredom increase. most people leave after a few years as opportunities for advancement are ZERO. They usually start you off at a good rate of pay but there is never any bonuses or pay increases. It sucks to see your purchasing power decrease year after year.

Very laid back atmosphere and no micromanagent made it very bearable.
Pros
No micromanaging. Free time
Cons
Stagnant pay. Zero advancement opportunities. Nepotism
Productive and comfortable work environment
Receptionist/ Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 March 2015
Employees are valued and treated fairly, management is approachable and considerate, co-workers are easy to work with, and the office is an enjoyable work environment.
Productive challenging place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON11 April 2014
• Office Administrator (Former Employee), London, ON – April, 2014

IRC was a great company to work for.

I gained a lot of knowledge in the industry of roofing consulting and the team I worked with was very helpful and worked together to keep the company going.

The most enjoyable part were the people I worked with and the customers.
Pros
Pros: great benefits, reasonable wages
Team oriented environment
Office Administrator/Project Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 January 2014
IRC was a great company to work for.

The most enjoyable part were the people I worked with and the customers.
Pros
Great benefits, reasonable wages
Cons
Fun work place with friendly co-workers
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON31 May 2012
-CAD drafting
-Site inspection
-Friendly working environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IRC Building Sciences Group. Our community is ready to answer.

IRC Building Sciences Group Reviews by Location