iQ Food Co.

iQ Food Co. Employee Reviews

Canada17 reviews
Good company culture, good place to learn. The food is fresh, the restaurant in organized and training is ok. could be improved but generally the work is pretty easy and the team is supportive.
Everyone is very friendly, you gain interesting knowledge on Canadian food supply chain as well as about health and wellness. Great staff parties. Very good discount on food. I got my lunch there every day, amazing staff pricing, high quality and healthy, great taste.
Had a good year at my time here and made great connections and fun stories here but I will be very honest.
I really worked my a** off for this company. my colleagues and even other GMs always thought I was the team lead but never got promoted due to favouritism (even with my transfer). Their definition of team leadership management needs work and really do reward hard work, not favouritism. I was going to be transferred for team lead position but lied to me. Some managers can’t promote the most qualified leaders in the team, can’t give accurate feedback, and leads can’t even lead there except for the ones I trained. they are understaffed and leadership was lacking here. They don’t even take feedback from guest and their employees as well. Yorkdale starts kicking out guests and former employees, which is poor customer service from GM.

If you really need to work and make a living here in Toronto at the beginning , I recommend this, but for working your way up, I suggest not.
At iQ you really meet your family! Everyone was extremely nice (co-workers, management, head office) You are also really just put out into the workplace independently which I loved about the place.
Pros
70% off food, free drinks while working
Cons
Not too many workers therefore hard to cover your shifts
This job is okay, most of the coworkers I worked with were very fun and hardworking. I liked it at first but that changed. Would be a decent job if management was different. The Manager doesn't treat all her coworkers equally or with respect. This location has lost a lot of people and continues to. Manager is disrespectful which caused a lot of mental stress and anxiety among team members every time they had a shift. Management mostly nice to their favourite people. Employees sometimes are forced to skip breaks. There’s not enough breaks given for people who work more than 9 hour shifts. They could learn to improve their ability to retain good talent. Shortens hours, always understaffed making it harder for those to work because not enough help. Glad I left. They dont appreciate their hardworking employees and accuse them of things that are not true. I couldn’t take the disrespect from my manager anymore. They need to learn to treat their employees better.
Pros
Percentage off food
Cons
Management, Favouritism, lying staff members, and lazy workers that get away with almost everything
Great Team to work with
Management is Supportive

Great work hours so you get to enjoy work-life balance

Fun workplace

Fast-paced environment since we serve from breakfast to lunch in a busy financial district.
They demand more from you but do not do the same for the employees. Employees would sacrifice a night out to work a shift they asked for day-off. The food and employee discount is okay but the hours are not that good. It is good for part-time but not full-time.
I worked for this company for some time. At first I loved the it. The staff, the food etc. But now they have a hard time keeping staff. Every location is understaffed. Management is a joke and they even have hard time keeping GMs. Manage doesn't care about it's workers. They make you pay for food, don't get paid breaks, will accuse you of stealing food with no proof, will over or under schedule you without warning, expect you to work in multiple areas for little pay and little training, and if you're good at the job they will keep giving you more work but never a promotion or raise. The food quality has been going down whole prices go up. I suggest you stay away.
Pros
Friendly staff, flexible hours
Cons
Management does care about its employees, have to pay for food
-Toxic atmosphere, rude people who never say Hi.
-You have to pay for your meal, food going in garbage at the end of the day and workers hide to eat left overs.

-No respect or motivation for employees.

-Regret every second spent there.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
a Typical day at work was basically what i stated in my resume
the only difference was talking to the fellow employees having great conversation getting to know one another & such
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Depends on the Day really
Overall I experienced a full career working for iQ. The guests, the staff, the corporate team, all allowed me to experience a lot, especially for someone with only a high school career. From working as a bus boy to managing a million dollar restaurant (within two years), I experienced what most don't get to experience in over a decade. There is absolutely opportunity for growth.

My advice to anyone who is considering employment @ iQ FOOD CO., is to ask yourself if you're willing to work for a company that is still developing. Continue to ask the important questions and do not cut yourself short on any opportunities, in and outside of the company.
Pros
Good discounted staff meal, decent pay, decent hours, great environment, good guests, pretty casual.
Cons
Not challenging for entry level, benefits aren't good
Work is okay but severely understaffed because the management refuses to hire more people. Few hours given per shift. Management is not professional when dealing with internal problems.
Pros
Get to take home wasted food at the end of the day
Cons
Hours working along doing a lot of things
I've personally felt a degree of discrimination working at IQ Food Co. It is not only me who has felt discriminated at IQ my co workers as well has the same to say.
The management is very unprofessional and inexperienced as a result of which the staffs are suffering. There is no set schedule for anyone except for the chosen few. The schedule fluctuates often which is very inconvenient to us .
Pros
70% off
Cons
schedule conflict
iQ will always be a home to me. They taught me so many things within the short period of time I was there.
The work/social culture is instantaneously immersive and will allow you to easily delve into the nooks and crannies of any restaurant - allowing anyone with pebbles worth of initiative to completely understand the in and outs of the well oiled, well-cogged machine that is iQ.

Between any of the locations you go to, the feeling is the same - bewilderment. Seriously, so much thought is put into the architectural foundations of these restaurants it's actually enough to go to the stores alone for the sheer appreciation of the physicality of iQ.

If you're looking for an entry-level job with the equally appropriate amount of pay then iQ is probably for you.
Pros
Good discounts, room to grow in the company quickly
Cons
Long hours, inconsistent scheduling
Prepare or Serve foods, take orders from guests and provide a wholesome food experience. 70% off employee discount ensures everyone eats good. Great teams in each store.
At a typical day at IQ Food Co, I am faced with a variety of challenges that are always overcame by continued communication and effort given by the team. I have really come to respect all levels of management and I feel empowered to make decisions based on the needs of the team and business. I work with many young people that want to do the best they can while never sacrificing quality of service or customer service standards. The hardest part of my job is predicting the level of customers we will see in a rush and needing a few extra bodies. Do to weather fluctuations at different points in a week, it could mean we are insanely busy or very slow. All in all, the most enjoyable part of my jobs is training young talent on the team, working with a great management team and continually striving to be the best we can be as a team.
Pros
Great management, co-workers & environment.
Cons
Needs more staffing
Working at IQ foods was amazing. The management was a bit unprofessional and i could not take the disrespect from the manager anymore.
Pros
70% discount on food
Cons
Disrespectful manager