Investors Group Employee Reviews

Once Established, Excellent Careeer
Senior Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC27 December 2018
-Self-employed and 100% self-employed
-Consulting clients with Financial and Estate Planning and having them follow their plan was very rewarding
-Excellent work culture in our office and Region
-I excelled in obtaining new clients and was rewarded.
-Most difficult aspect was to get started as a self-employed individual and to obtain client trust.
-The company was still very paper-oriented vs. internet based. This has changed very recently.
-Management in our office and region were outstanding and very well regarded across Canada for excellence.
Pros
Rewarded for Excellence
Cons
100% commission
Enterprise atmosphere, large company
Portfolio Architect / Senior Systems Architect (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 November 2018
Investors Group is a great company to work for. They offer competitive salaries, great benefits and encourage a healthy work/life balance. They are continually growing and expanding their offerings.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Large company, sometimes feels anonymous
IG Wealth Management
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton Metro4 January 2019
IG Wealth Management
You are an independent Consultant when you sign on with IG.
No pay is guaranteed.
You don't eat what you don't kill.
You are your own boss so it is up to you to go out and find business.
IG keeps the Lions share of business that comes in and you keep what's left. I have friends that have done very well at IG, I did not.
Great place, great culture but I found the pay to be too low to continue.
Pros
Great work Culture
Cons
Low pay structure
Horrible Management!
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB28 August 2018
Do your homework before you work here. Some locations have a great management team. Southern Alberta is horrible. Management is looking out only for themselves! Morale is getting worse. Most consultants won't even talk to each other. This all comes from the top down. Management does not care about the client or the staff. Pay is comparable to other companies in the industry. They only let you talk to high net worth clients. Smaller clients are not treated well. If you want to be an advisor here, make sure you know lots of millionaires or you won't make it. They won't let you deal with smaller clients and they won't let you have insurance only clients. I was hired under false pretenses!!!!
Pros
You can be your own boss.
Cons
Bad Culture! Bad Management! Bad Environment!
A very busy day which requires the ability to multi task
CSA11 (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS17 July 2018
8:30 am check emails, change voice mail, check messages...process client requests, prepare files for meetings, return emails, troubleshoot any issues, schedule appointments with clients and prepare any paperwork in advance based on the reason for the meeting

I learned everything about the financial planning industry and how to work hard and smart in a busy environment that changes constantly. Work place culture is very good, there is a really wonderful Assistant support network

Hardest part of the job is problem solving and changing focus several times a day on a moment's notice, most enjoyable are the people working in the office
Pros
Security while working for Head Office
Cons
No security contracting for a consultant
Change for the Worse
Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON9 October 2018
I learned a lot that I am grateful for. The training was exemplary.

Had it not been for the fundamental change in the compensation system and shift away from helping the "average" investor, I would have stayed.

The changes favoured the incumbent consultants to pick up the newer consultants' assets, and left us in the dust.
Pros
Good culture (initially)
Cons
Commission based income
Enjoyable culture terrible company
Consultant (Former Employee) –  North York, ON19 November 2018
Investor's Group leverages your connections at your own expense and then charges you for everything including paper and other basic office expenses.

There admin process is a complete nightmare, Sometimes it feels impossible to get anything done. Best part is you do not get paid for this.

The new business model emphasizes high net worth clients (250k and up) and the solution to attract these clients is to spend money on lavish events.

Seeing as there are companies that pay you to work for them I would not recommend this position to anyone. Unless you already have book from another company or just a ton of rich friends.
Pros
company events and culture
Cons
nickle and dime you for everything. Commision is trending lower
Interesting placer to worjk at and good atmosphere
Insurance manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC9 October 2018
Very good place to work as there is a good team spirit and a good structure put in place
Good support from local and head office management
Need to improve opportunity for advancement
Pros
Very exciting place to work
Cons
opportunity for advancement
Admin/reception means never leaving your desk..
Csa ii (Former Employee) –  Edmonton Queen River Boat, AB6 October 2018
I have been in the admin field for a long time and never wanted to do reception again ever. When Ig hired me I thought I'd give it a shot mostly because of benefits and pay (pay not great but better than I had before). I absolutely hate it. You're told HO wants the desk manned at all times because apparently our clients aren't supposed to know we're not robots and have to use the washroom. Have to get back up person just to use washroom and get a coffee. Humiliating. Also our building had a Watermain break so we had an entire day with no washrooms. Had to walk to different building. They made us stay to answer phones...consultants treat you like you're not close to their level. We were told the consultants are OUR clients...WHAT?? we get financial paperwork to process and the company relies on us untrained admins instead of the associates to make sure its filled out correctly. Dont work for this company.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Consultants, associates, RC's company policies
Great people and flexable
Executive Assistant to the Regional Director (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON5 October 2018
Wonderful interoffice culture, flexible hours. Team players with a great management team. High community involvement supporting education and financial health throughout.
Good company that is in a major transition
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 November 2018
The Consultancy role is one where you need to be a self-motivator and must be very persistent at pursuing new clients at all times. The number of hours that a successful Consultants needs to put in at the start is very high giving that you need to run your own business.

Given that most people are set in their ways and the retail investment industry has been plagued with negatives reviews about DSC's fees and the cost of doing business with a Consultant, it is very hard to convince people to start to look after their future.

Trying to convince your friends and family to work with you is a major challenge, especially if they are not convinced you'll be a Consultant for the next few years.

The company itself is going through some major transition changes in terms of technology catch-ups, the way they are approaching and pursuing clients and the need to reduce fees to remain competitive in a changing landscape.

The opportunity to educate yourself about markets and the pursuit of accreditation is supported by the company.
Pros
You set your own hours
Cons
When starting out you have to be always 'on' and willing to pitch
Highly unorganized and torn company
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 February 2018
The Calgary offices are a complete mess. Management bills their staff as much as possible for outrageous things. Lots of conflict and verbal fighting in the office, very tense work environment. Can't trust anyone in the company. The Division Directors are lazy, untrained and cant make up their minds on what they want their administrative staff to do.
Be warned there is a lot of illegal practice that happens. The division directors will try to get their admin staff to carry out or assist.
My boss would come to work high on pot everyday. Didn't follow through with benefits, raises. Worked a lot after hours and was not paid for it. Expected to go way above ad beyond and you will not even receive pay for it.
Worst company ever. Highly unorganized and extremely high turnover.
Mutual Fund Representative
mutual funds representative (Former Employee) –  Westmount, QC2 October 2018
Team meetings with our regional manager and team.
Solicitation of clients by phone and face to face.
Preparing documents for client account openings
Learned to get out of my comfort zone, learned good sales skills which still used to this day, communication skills improved.
Office was well run.
Amazing culture.
Hardest part of day was getting constantly turned down by prospects.
The most enjoyable part of the job was finding the one or two prospects whom were interested.
Pros
freedom to make decisions
Cons
little technical help
Good Work Place
Consultant (Current Employee) –  London, ON4 September 2018
Overall decent place to start a career in finance. Culture depends on office and region which can change quickly and with little notice. Good freedom to work from home on your own schedule.
Excellent job, that requires massive buy-in
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK11 June 2018
The people and management are very approachable and the culture is something I can speak highly of, however, this job requires massive buy-in and if you're not willing to sacrifice a lot of your time, energy, and possibly personal relationships, you will not succeed. If you are able to get over the mental hump of selling investment products to your friends, and family then you can do very well.
Review of Investors Group
Regional Planning Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 August 2018
Poor culture focused on sales at any cost. Best interests of client often overlooked in pursuit of more commission. Poor management, unethical employment and selling practices.
Not a bad place to work
Senior At Your Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 February 2019
The people are very nice but full of clique groups
If you are not part of one your advancement is limited at best
Under staffed in multiple departments so you don't get paid enough for the amount of stress
Easy and Accessible office locations throughout GTA
Consultant (Financial) (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON5 June 2018
Its very professional and friendly environment, encourages creativity and competitiveness. We are encouraged to participate in all the activities that improve our prospects for improving and expanding business and personal development..
Pros
Flexible timings, friendly mamgement
Cons
Compensation totally commission based
Changing
Region Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 September 2018
The company is going through massive changes currently, because of those changes it's loosing what made the company so special to work for. There used to be a large supportive dynamic, now it's solely about profitability and positioning the company to be the premier experience for high value clients. While those goals are good things the way the company is driving toward these goals is destroying the culture.
Entrepreneurial Opportunity
Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, Quebec15 January 2019
There is no base salary in this role. Renumeration is 100% based on your ability to find business and build your clientele base. It's a great place to learn with stellar people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Investors Group. Our community is ready to answer.