International SOS

International SOS Pay & benefits reviews

Clear
3.3Pay & benefits

Great company, ok pay

I've had pretty good work experience with this company, and while we're not paid as much as we'd like, they'll pay for courses if you're full time which is a huge bonus. At least on the Fire Fighting and EMS side. I have no idea what the rest of the company is like.

Don't know how to run their Leduc location.

Take the warnings and stay away! They seem nice at first but will stab you in the back when they feel the need. The Leduc location does not know how to run a business.

Pros

Reasonable pay and free food sometimes.

Cons

No job security and stability.

SOS indeed!

“ A lot of people think that the distress signal is an abbreviation for “save our souls” or “save our ship.” But in reality, "save our souls" and "save our ship" are backronyms, and the letters don't actually stand for anything.” I couldn’t think of a better way to describe this company. If you’re a doctor or nurse ISOS has lots of opportunities for you. If you are EMR, PCP, firefighter or rescue tech then prepare to be disappointed. No interview or physical orientation process, endless online training that has nothing to do with job description, terrible scheduling department that will send you all over the province within 72 hours, no in-house training for rope techs or firefighters, no education or retirement programs, cheap gear, ugly uniforms, random trucks that say CIP or Heartlake on them, co-workers with extremely questionable skills or ethics, horrible management that refuses to listen to any feedback. There are some pros. If you get hired you get benefits immediately since they are so desperate for people. Some sites have really good crews on them that are insulated from head office. They have some work local to big cities like Fort Mac or Edmonton. The pay is pretty low for industrial standards so the good doesn’t outweigh the bad. Only apply if you are desperate for work or really need to get your teeth fixed.

Never work for ISOS / CIP

Just don't do it. No matter what salary offer they make, they'll find through the weirdest combination of minimal support and communications but the very highest of expectations a way create a work environment poisonous to you and to providing any decent level of patient care. Multiple layers of international owners and national partners mean duplication of idiotic, onerous and unrelated mandatory training and paperwork 'supported' by one of the most poorly operating IT systems you'll have the misfortune to navigate. Staff and management is constantly quitting as apparently Canadian Head Office is even worse than how they treat you in clinics so all the worst of it is like the movie Groundhog Day. Go in the opposite direction of anything ISOS and CIP are involved in.

Pros

Cons

so many - read the review

Your crew can make or break your sanity

ISOS ->used<- to be an amazing company to work for until CIP stuck their hands in there. This is why it hurts to write a negative review for a company that's run by CIP but holds the ISOS name. Management was the worst! Trying to get reimbursed for KM/fuel ect was a nightmare. You weren't a priority for reimbursement unless it was over a certain amount. So, it would take weeks to see the money you are owed. Speaking of pay, good luck with filling out your own time cards. Those sneeky buggers at CIP know some shady loop holes in the pay system. Also safety wasnt a top concern if it costed them money, for example: as a firefighter we are required to be fit tested before we wear a mask. I, and many others, were not fit tested. As the company kept falling through on promises/contact requirements, they were to pay for these fit tests themselves. Our lead for the site was not fire trained, and more geared towards medical, which made it extremely difficult for him to understand how important respiratory protection is. The crew you're placed on is the make or break in regards to sanity while you're employed. They have been struggling keeping properly qualified firefighter/PCP/ACP as per whatever contract. You are not paid for the amount of certifications you hold. IE a firefighter/pcp with 8 NFPA/IFSAC seals is paid a standard $425/day; as is a firefighter/pcp with zero other seals. What hurts even more is that you work along side a ACP/firefighter who has zero other certifications and you're expected to train them in every aspect. How do you expect no animosity -

Pros

A place that allows your feet to kind of get wet in the industry, benefits after three months of employment, depending on site getting to see various apparatuses

Cons

Management (Edmonton & Site), pay, accommodations, personal safety

There’s a reason why they constantly look for people

They under bid everyone so they got the job. They cut positions. Cut pay and doubled the work load. As a 1st year on site. I was making as much as a 5yr. They cut his pay to my level. Management says they listen but don’t. They don’t care about their employees. In the one year I was on site, they cycled through over 60 different people within the company. I would strongly suggest not working for them as they don’t listen to their employees and don’t have supervisors that are qualified. The problems start at the very top and the workings at the bottom pay for it. There was no raise incentive for working there. Also, their pay toll input is the worst I’ve ever encountered.

Pros

Other workers were great

Cons

Literally everything else.

The meat grinder keeps churning...

This place is garbage. Ever since getting bought out, CIP has been a sinking ship kept afloat by Singapore. There is a high rate of turn over with management and the current crop at head office has little to zero industrial or municipal experience. Instead of investing in employees they just keep hiring new people. This leads to an endless cycle of employees being hired and then moving onto better opportunities, often at the expense of jobs or contracts. This company has lost several contracts due to a lack of attention to detail.

Pros

Some sites are decent and can provide long term employment with good teams on-site.

Cons

No employee education or investment, Zero team or culture building, Spotty safety practices such as sending firefighters to jobs without structural gear, Unannounced pay cuts even if you previously had a raise, Cheap equipment and uniforms, No benefits or healthcare for seasonal staff

Bel établissement qui procède selon les normes et les standards pour la prévention des risques santé et sécurité des entreprises

Bon environnement de travail, surtout le travail d'équipe. Plein de choses à apprendre surtout des formations et des simulations des cas toutes les semaines.

Pros

Repas gratuit, navette pour les personnels

Cons

Courtes pauses

Productive and fun area, have got to learn various things

My Reviews about this organization are good. Company take cares of his employees, salary structure are good. But maintaining the work life balance is quite tough.

Pros

Team activity

Cons

No Work Life balance

Jobs at International SOS