International SOS logo
International SOS
View all International SOS reviews

International SOS

International SOS Employee Review

Your crew can make or break your sanity

ISOS ->used<- to be an amazing company to work for until CIP stuck their hands in there. This is why it hurts to write a negative review for a company that's run by CIP but holds the ISOS name. Management was the worst! Trying to get reimbursed for KM/fuel ect was a nightmare. You weren't a priority for reimbursement unless it was over a certain amount. So, it would take weeks to see the money you are owed. Speaking of pay, good luck with filling out your own time cards. Those sneeky buggers at CIP know some shady loop holes in the pay system. Also safety wasnt a top concern if it costed them money, for example: as a firefighter we are required to be fit tested before we wear a mask. I, and many others, were not fit tested. As the company kept falling through on promises/contact requirements, they were to pay for these fit tests themselves. Our lead for the site was not fire trained, and more geared towards medical, which made it extremely difficult for him to understand how important respiratory protection is. The crew you're placed on is the make or break in regards to sanity while you're employed. They have been struggling keeping properly qualified firefighter/PCP/ACP as per whatever contract. You are not paid for the amount of certifications you hold. IE a firefighter/pcp with 8 NFPA/IFSAC seals is paid a standard $425/day; as is a firefighter/pcp with zero other seals. What hurts even more is that you work along side a ACP/firefighter who has zero other certifications and you're expected to train them in every aspect. How do you expect no animosity -

Pros

A place that allows your feet to kind of get wet in the industry, benefits after three months of employment, depending on site getting to see various apparatuses

Cons

Management (Edmonton & Site), pay, accommodations, personal safety

1.0Job security/advancement

Same role

SOS indeed!

“ A lot of people think that the distress signal is an abbreviation for “save our souls” or “save our ship.” But in reality, "save our souls" and "save our ship" are backronyms, and the letters don't actually stand for anything.” I couldn’t think of a better way to describe this company. If you’re a doctor or nurse ISOS has lots of opportunities for you. If you are EMR, PCP, firefighter or rescue tech then prepare to be disappointed. No interview or physical orientation process, endless online training that has nothing to do with job description, terrible scheduling department that will send you all over the province within 72 hours, no in-house training for rope techs or firefighters, no education or retirement programs, cheap gear, ugly uniforms, random trucks that say CIP or Heartlake on them, co-workers with extremely questionable skills or ethics, horrible management that refuses to listen to any feedback. There are some pros. If you get hired you get benefits immediately since they are so desperate for people. Some sites have really good crews on them that are insulated from head office. They have some work local to big cities like Fort Mac or Edmonton. The pay is pretty low for industrial standards so the good doesn’t outweigh the bad. Only apply if you are desperate for work or really need to get your teeth fixed.
Same role

Great company, ok pay

I've had pretty good work experience with this company, and while we're not paid as much as we'd like, they'll pay for courses if you're full time which is a huge bonus. At least on the Fire Fighting and EMS side. I have no idea what the rest of the company is like.
Same roleSame location

Stay Away

Not a good work environment. The pay is not on par with other companies like they say were are. Other companies pay more. You get no sick time. You jump through hoops for everything on the fire side. Always a fight to get new gear. Still using old Wapose gear. ISOS took the contract and had no idea how to run the fire side. We had 2 awesome fire chiefs, one quit and who knows how long the other will stay. They get micromanaged and aren’t allowed to run the crews how they should be, corporate office always involved and making decisions. Would be a good place to work if corporate stepped aside and let them do their jobs. Officers of crews are to young, some are very immature. They need to be demoted. They were Wapose pass off’s that stuck around and kissed butt to get where they are. The medical staff get Exec rooms while we get jack and Jill’s, no favouritism at all!! Only good thing is the shift rotation. Get a holiday every 10 days.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at International SOS. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement

Compare International SOS with

• International SOS
  • Your crew can make or break your sanity