International SOS
View all International SOS reviews

International SOS

International SOS Employee Review

SOS indeed!

“ A lot of people think that the distress signal is an abbreviation for “save our souls” or “save our ship.” But in reality, "save our souls" and "save our ship" are backronyms, and the letters don't actually stand for anything.” I couldn’t think of a better way to describe this company. If you’re a doctor or nurse ISOS has lots of opportunities for you. If you are EMR, PCP, firefighter or rescue tech then prepare to be disappointed. No interview or physical orientation process, endless online training that has nothing to do with job description, terrible scheduling department that will send you all over the province within 72 hours, no in-house training for rope techs or firefighters, no education or retirement programs, cheap gear, ugly uniforms, random trucks that say CIP or Heartlake on them, co-workers with extremely questionable skills or ethics, horrible management that refuses to listen to any feedback. There are some pros. If you get hired you get benefits immediately since they are so desperate for people. Some sites have really good crews on them that are insulated from head office. They have some work local to big cities like Fort Mac or Edmonton. The pay is pretty low for industrial standards so the good doesn’t outweigh the bad. Only apply if you are desperate for work or really need to get your teeth fixed.

1.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Same role

Not worth it

No direct and minimal support from head office/management. No opportunity for advancement. Hard working good employees don't get rewarded, and poor work ethic and unquailified workers don't get written up or terminate
Same role

Great company, ok pay

I've had pretty good work experience with this company, and while we're not paid as much as we'd like, they'll pay for courses if you're full time which is a huge bonus. At least on the Fire Fighting and EMS side. I have no idea what the rest of the company is like.
Same location

You are a number and expendable

Poor management. Workers are not valued. Not recommended. Loyalty and dedication meant nothing. If you decide to work for this company be prepared and be sure to communicate via text or email so you have proof of conversation and will not be blindsided by jobs that are not what you were told they were.

Pros

Money

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at International SOS. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement