International SOS logo
View all International SOS reviews

International SOS

International SOS Employee Review

Great company, ok pay

I've had pretty good work experience with this company, and while we're not paid as much as we'd like, they'll pay for courses if you're full time which is a huge bonus. At least on the Fire Fighting and EMS side. I have no idea what the rest of the company is like.

4.0Job security/advancement

Same role

SOS indeed!

“ A lot of people think that the distress signal is an abbreviation for “save our souls” or “save our ship.” But in reality, "save our souls" and "save our ship" are backronyms, and the letters don't actually stand for anything.” I couldn’t think of a better way to describe this company. If you’re a doctor or nurse ISOS has lots of opportunities for you. If you are EMR, PCP, firefighter or rescue tech then prepare to be disappointed. No interview or physical orientation process, endless online training that has nothing to do with job description, terrible scheduling department that will send you all over the province within 72 hours, no in-house training for rope techs or firefighters, no education or retirement programs, cheap gear, ugly uniforms, random trucks that say CIP or Heartlake on them, co-workers with extremely questionable skills or ethics, horrible management that refuses to listen to any feedback. There are some pros. If you get hired you get benefits immediately since they are so desperate for people. Some sites have really good crews on them that are insulated from head office. They have some work local to big cities like Fort Mac or Edmonton. The pay is pretty low for industrial standards so the good doesn’t outweigh the bad. Only apply if you are desperate for work or really need to get your teeth fixed.
Same role

Stay Away

Not a good work environment. The pay is not on par with other companies like they say were are. Other companies pay more. You get no sick time. You jump through hoops for everything on the fire side. Always a fight to get new gear. Still using old Wapose gear. ISOS took the contract and had no idea how to run the fire side. We had 2 awesome fire chiefs, one quit and who knows how long the other will stay. They get micromanaged and aren’t allowed to run the crews how they should be, corporate office always involved and making decisions. Would be a good place to work if corporate stepped aside and let them do their jobs. Officers of crews are to young, some are very immature. They need to be demoted. They were Wapose pass off’s that stuck around and kissed butt to get where they are. The medical staff get Exec rooms while we get jack and Jill’s, no favouritism at all!! Only good thing is the shift rotation. Get a holiday every 10 days.
Same location

Selling sand

The company is a joke. They lost their main rescue guy and replaced him with someone who works overseas. If you have any any rescue training they pull you from good sites to do random ones. If you dont get along with your partner theyll drop you without warning. I worked with someone with no rope instruction and he refused to train. Im the one who got fired without any warning or sitdowns. I was told I would be working as a firefighter on site but got into trouble for having firefighter gear. The rescue teams have no idea what they are doing. Some rescue techs are good but some are just paramedics who happen to have the tickets. Management only cares about making themselves good even if they have to disrespect frontline staff. they will fire you without warning even if you do a good job. You might be on a two person rescue team with a partner who doest train. They dont do interviews or skills testing anymore so good luck. ISOS will get someone killed someday selling false goods to customers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at International SOS. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement