International SOS

International SOS Employee Reviews

Canada22 reviews
I've had pretty good work experience with this company, and while we're not paid as much as we'd like, they'll pay for courses if you're full time which is a huge bonus. At least on the Fire Fighting and EMS side. I have no idea what the rest of the company is like.
I started in late 2012 in PNG realizing that ISOS is a family and like every family has growing curves, though not often but as problems may it be flights or pay etc these issues where always quickly and decisively corrected.
Then the human factor...

The professionalism with in the Pom office was in balance with caring and thoughtfulness.

I miss those folks
Most people were amazing but other staff on my cross shift tried to take my hours and make it seem as if it had to happen and i was the bullied when i didn't't let it happen. No notice with regards to shifts so you don't know when you'd be headed to work or leaving. There is no steady work.
I've never seen a company somehow do so well while being woefully inadequate to offer the services it is selling. Some of the staff currently employed in full-time positions are simply terrible human beings. It's like the penalty box of emergency services. This is the result of not doing interviews, background checks, or skill assessments. If you got the ticket you get the job no questions asked. After a supply chain failure I tried warning about several times, I had to quit despite a very lucrative position. The perks, location, and full-time work are not worth compromising contractor and public safety. Management should be ashamed of themselves for selling a false bill of goods. I'm happy to have washed my hands of this terrible company. There's a reason why they are desperate for new employees all of the time - the good ones jump ship when they can.
Disorganized with little structure and support for field staff. Middle managers try hard but senior management above operations is poor to nonexistent
“ A lot of people think that the distress signal is an abbreviation for “save our souls” or “save our ship.” But in reality, "save our souls" and "save our ship" are backronyms, and the letters don't actually stand for anything.”

I couldn’t think of a better way to describe this company. If you’re a doctor or nurse ISOS has lots of opportunities for you. If you are EMR, PCP, firefighter or rescue tech then prepare to be disappointed. No interview or physical orientation process, endless online training that has nothing to do with job description, terrible scheduling department that will send you all over the province within 72 hours, no in-house training for rope techs or firefighters, no education or retirement programs, cheap gear, ugly uniforms, random trucks that say CIP or Heartlake on them, co-workers with extremely questionable skills or ethics, horrible management that refuses to listen to any feedback.

There are some pros. If you get hired you get benefits immediately since they are so desperate for people. Some sites have really good crews on them that are insulated from head office. They have some work local to big cities like Fort Mac or Edmonton. The pay is pretty low for industrial standards so the good doesn’t outweigh the bad. Only apply if you are desperate for work or really need to get your teeth fixed.
The company is a joke. They lost their main rescue guy and replaced him with someone who works overseas. If you have any any rescue training they pull you from good sites to do random ones. If you dont get along with your partner theyll drop you without warning. I worked with someone with no rope instruction and he refused to train. Im the one who got fired without any warning or sitdowns. I was told I would be working as a firefighter on site but got into trouble for having firefighter gear. The rescue teams have no idea what they are doing. Some rescue techs are good but some are just paramedics who happen to have the tickets. Management only cares about making themselves good even if they have to disrespect frontline staff. they will fire you without warning even if you do a good job. You might be on a two person rescue team with a partner who doest train. They dont do interviews or skills testing anymore so good luck. ISOS will get someone killed someday selling false goods to customers.
Not a good work environment. The pay is not on par with other companies like they say were are. Other companies pay more. You get no sick time. You jump through hoops for everything on the fire side. Always a fight to get new gear. Still using old Wapose gear. ISOS took the contract and had no idea how to run the fire side. We had 2 awesome fire chiefs, one quit and who knows how long the other will stay. They get micromanaged and aren’t allowed to run the crews how they should be, corporate office always involved and making decisions.
Would be a good place to work if corporate stepped aside and let them do their jobs. Officers of crews are to young, some are very immature. They need to be demoted. They were Wapose pass off’s that stuck around and kissed butt to get where they are.

The medical staff get Exec rooms while we get jack and Jill’s, no favouritism at all!!

Only good thing is the shift rotation. Get a holiday every 10 days.
Honestly it could be a good opportunity but management is really just looking for people to make them look good and have no desire to see people succeed and therefore there no succession planning. It's also so small there are only a few people in the office so don't think you're "going anywhere" if you want a career and advancement.

The hours are long and management expects you to be available no matter what and no matter when, "it's what we pay you for" according to management. There are no vacations permitted for the scheduling, recruiting and supply teams from October to April and on call 24/7 for job start ups.

They're always looking for a scapegoat to take the blame or push under the bus. They hold you accountable, but don't train or support teams when questions or concerns arise. It's a family business and family employees have a different set of rules and cant be relied upon. It's all about who you know and what you can do to push someone else down to get where you want.
Just don't do it.

No matter what salary offer they make, they'll find through the weirdest combination of minimal support and communications but the very highest of expectations a way create a work environment poisonous to you and to providing any decent level of patient care.

Multiple layers of international owners and national partners mean duplication of idiotic, onerous and unrelated mandatory training and paperwork 'supported' by one of the most poorly operating IT systems you'll have the misfortune to navigate.

Staff and management is constantly quitting as apparently Canadian Head Office is even worse than how they treat you in clinics so all the worst of it is like the movie Groundhog Day.

Go in the opposite direction of anything ISOS and CIP are involved in.
Pros
Cons
so many - read the review
Equipment required not a priority as well as restocking is slow. In my opinion they have over exceeded their worker capicity and available for the amount of work they have. As a result they are having a very tough time filling seats. Some companies may consider that a great thing but when left alone trying to get by, it places the worker in a very bad predicament.
Pros
Lots of work
Cons
Poor medical supply chain
ISOS ->used<- to be an amazing company to work for until CIP stuck their hands in there. This is why it hurts to write a negative review for a company that's run by CIP but holds the ISOS name.

Management was the worst! Trying to get reimbursed for KM/fuel ect was a nightmare. You weren't a priority for reimbursement unless it was over a certain amount. So, it would take weeks to see the money you are owed. Speaking of pay, good luck with filling out your own time cards. Those sneeky buggers at CIP know some shady loop holes in the pay system.

Also safety wasnt a top concern if it costed them money, for example: as a firefighter we are required to be fit tested before we wear a mask. I, and many others, were not fit tested. As the company kept falling through on promises/contact requirements, they were to pay for these fit tests themselves. Our lead for the site was not fire trained, and more geared towards medical, which made it extremely difficult for him to understand how important respiratory protection is.

The crew you're placed on is the make or break in regards to sanity while you're employed. They have been struggling keeping properly qualified firefighter/PCP/ACP as per whatever contract. You are not paid for the amount of certifications you hold. IE a firefighter/pcp with 8 NFPA/IFSAC seals is paid a standard $425/day; as is a firefighter/pcp with zero other seals. What hurts even more is that you work along side a ACP/firefighter who has zero other certifications and you're expected to train them in every aspect. How do you expect no animosity
 - more...
Pros
A place that allows your feet to kind of get wet in the industry, benefits after three months of employment, depending on site getting to see various apparatuses
Cons
Management (Edmonton & Site), pay, accommodations, personal safety
They under bid everyone so they got the job. They cut positions. Cut pay and doubled the work load. As a 1st year on site. I was making as much as a 5yr. They cut his pay to my level. Management says they listen but don’t. They don’t care about their employees. In the one year I was on site, they cycled through over 60 different people within the company. I would strongly suggest not working for them as they don’t listen to their employees and don’t have supervisors that are qualified. The problems start at the very top and the workings at the bottom pay for it. There was no raise incentive for working there. Also, their pay toll input is the worst I’ve ever encountered.
Pros
Other workers were great
Cons
Literally everything else.
SOS or CIP was very keen to use my level of education (ACP) and have myself mobilize to site in less than 48 hrs notice. Once onsite, I was never contacted again from deployment and kindly opened an email a week later directing me how to properly fill out billing. I strongly feel spending quality educational insight towards the informing the practitioner prior to sending off into the wild blue yonder. No practitioner needs to feel ill prepared; it’s our license on the line!! ALL of us (EMR, PCP, and ACP) expect respect and transparency and you shall receive that in return. Works both ways!
At no point was there any structural direction on how to complete your Timesheet! Yes, I too would like my money in a timely scheduled manner just like you.

Never received return emails or phone call from upper management for insight direction with contractor. We got you there; now fend for yourself!
Pros
Good pay, new equipment, new truck, fuel card
Cons
Zero communication, your on your own, broken promises, receiving correct payment
The worst company I have worked for not ISOS but Canadian Industrial Paramedics. Fire director is clueless and is a weak individual. They ignore obvious safety issues when brought to there attention and also try to hide injuries to workers. Only a matter of time before they loss the contract.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Horrible and I mean horrible management
This place is garbage. Ever since getting bought out, CIP has been a sinking ship kept afloat by Singapore. There is a high rate of turn over with management and the current crop at head office has little to zero industrial or municipal experience. Instead of investing in employees they just keep hiring new people. This leads to an endless cycle of employees being hired and then moving onto better opportunities, often at the expense of jobs or contracts. This company has lost several contracts due to a lack of attention to detail.
Pros
Some sites are decent and can provide long term employment with good teams on-site.
Cons
No employee education or investment, Zero team or culture building, Spotty safety practices such as sending firefighters to jobs without structural gear, Unannounced pay cuts even if you previously had a raise, Cheap equipment and uniforms, No benefits or healthcare for seasonal staff
Absolutely no regard for the employee. False promises of shift bids and opportunity. Management is only in it for their individual bonus and personal gain. No morale on the floor and front end employee is treated like they are expendable. No wonder there is a new training class every month. Forced to do overtime. There is no work-life balance. Company needs a new vision and mission.
Pros
Ability to make friends who feel just as disgruntled
Cons
Everything, especially managent
Manager was great to work for, high paced industrial medicine job. Lots of new skills outside of prehospital settings that you wouldn't usually get working on an ambulance or in an industrial setting.
Awesome place to work, the camp is beautiful, the people are very nice and friendly, I learned self discipline, communication skills and administration skills. Highly recommend getting a position here
Bon environnement de travail, surtout le travail d'équipe. Plein de choses à apprendre surtout des formations et des simulations des cas toutes les semaines.
Pros
Repas gratuit, navette pour les personnels
Cons
Courtes pauses
Great corporate marketing strategy. They love to tout their workers experience and credentials, yet fail to offer advancement. The pay and shift made the job lucritive, both have since been scaled back...