International Road Dynamics Inc

International Road Dynamics Inc Employee Reviews

little growth of knowledge, low salary, too much politics
System Engineer/TSS/Tech Support (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK18 April 2018
It was a family owned business and publicly traded. But was bought out by another company. The entire family and close friends were holding top positions within the company, and held a lot of shares.

Since they sold all their shares, some at 4-10 times the value, they have no skin in the game.

There are very little incentives for employee growth. They do not facilitate learning. They don't mention it, but really hate it when men take parental leave.

They are making losses. The parent company says they need to cut costs, but they are cutting people from the bottom, while the family in the management are padding the pockets.

It is a drowning ship.

People who have been here dozen years are being laid off.
Project work is slowing down, but the number of people in management are same or increasing.

I hope the CEO of the parent company looks at this review, and atleast takes some stern action to put the company back into shape.

The company has a lot of bright people and a lot of potentials. But a lot of it is getting drowned under the day to day noise.
Cons
Long hours, low pay, low benefits, too much politics, no growth
Work is challenging and rewarding, compensation needs work.
Maintenance Contract Manager (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK25 February 2018
IRD is a good place to work, with a culture that encourages a good work life balance and healthy happy employees.

In my experience, they do have an issue with showing gratitude to employees in the way of increasing compensation, being completely happy to give you a cost of living increase every year and nothing else, unless you confront them directly.

The job can be hard, because the systems are very complex and there's a lot to know, you need to rely on other departments to make sure you understand what's required.

The culture at IRD is quite good, with plenty of lunches and snacks and holiday activities etc.
Pros
Challenging work, good work/life balance
Cons
Lack of investment in existing employees
Looked better on paper than in day to day
Senior Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK31 January 2018
Worked there only briefly, while the HR and upper management seem apt and friendly, they're also very busy so it's tough to get direction and guidance. Which is where supervisors / team leads would typically fill in, but there were strong personalities that were not anymore helpful. They had a great lunch room, the odd BBQ catered in, cold treats on hot days, but parts of the company culture / personalities need more attention from upper management.
A job with places you can go.
Administration (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK4 December 2016
IRD is a great place to work at with great employees. Wage is what you would expect for STARTING wage. You have endless possibilities with moving up and making more as you continue working there and taking advantage of the different education opportunities you are given. Working hours are flexible and there are some mandatory days that the offices are closed like stat holidays and a few in between Christmas and new years. I believe it is just Christmas eve, day and new years day. Colleagues are wonderful and same with upper management, if you are respectful like any other job. Lots of learning opportunities, large number of interns and students every summer. Learned a lot from administration and engineering department. There is also lots of hiring within so your opportunities are endless IF you take advantage of them.
Pros
Free lunches, learning opportunities, great colleagues
Cons
You are expected to work
Very Flexible, Fun Place to Work
Human Resources Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK19 September 2016
Great people, great culture, great management.

The wages are competitive and in line with the current market. The company is very flexible and tries to accomodate your schedule (vacation, appts, emergencies) as much as possible.

The culture is relaxed, friendly and fun.There are many social events (bbq's, staff lunches, golf tournaments, after work socials) held throughout the year. The staff is all very friendly and there is lots of interaction between each department. An overall great place to work.
Pros
culture, flexibility
Learned how actually company works
Inventory Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK17 March 2016
Learned how to manage sales orders and work orders.
A typical day of work is good, fun and enjoyable.
Management is good everything on time.
Co-workers are friendly.
The most part of enjoyable part is when we are busy.
Don't stay long...
Job (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK18 December 2014
There is a definite social aspect of working there, but management is trying to squash that as much as possible. Has had some financial troubles. Not sure how they're still open.

Turnover is fairly high. Not many people can navigate the office politics well. There are definite cliques.
Pros
Free lunches, casual dress code
Cons
Management, Hr, No job security
Low Wage rate, rude mgmt, some stubborn colleagues
System Engineer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK25 November 2013
No name mentioning here. But the human resource is pretty bad. They are good in spending money on unneeded items, but are enable to pay employees good pay. The engineering salary is below standard. Expect starting salaries around $45k for Engineers. You can earn the same if you were a Electrician. You could earn more if you did Co-Op or intern in some other company (eg. SaskPower, SaskTel, Stantec, WorleyParsons, and so on.)

IRD is good for your first job. You do get a wide range of experience. Which is a compliment to the company.

We understand that accrued vacation days show up as credit or amount owed on company balance sheet, which is not a good thing.
But you can't force employees to take vacation on periods they (employees) dont want. For example, at IRD, employees are more or less forced or heavily intimidated to take vacation (MINIMUM 5 day) between the Christmas time and New Year.
Every employee in the company is emailed atleast a few times about this, and everyone knows. But people stay quiet.

People work whole year just to save 15 vacation days so that they can go somewhere nice with their family. But no. The company will force you to take vacation right after Christmas when you cant go anywhere, air tickets are super expensive.

Two thing that the company needs to do.. 1. Downsize. (keep only the good employees). 2. Pay those employee more (please) or overtime atleast. I regularly see employees work everyday 2-3 hour extra. But they aren't given even the glimpse of overtime, but are forced to take vacation when they dont want. What a joke.

Which
  more... is also exactly why many staffs are not motivated to complete deadlines. What is the point of finishing work today by working more, when you wont get paid.

Happy employee = Good Employee.

We sign a confidentiality contract to not disclose our salary. But luckily I got a glimpse of how much an employee gets paid in a position above me, who worked 10+ years, a position that I am planning to graduate to. Guess how much extra earnings? $2500 more... Per Year... WOW... nice way to reward long term employees...

Celebrating birthday of employees who turned 50, movember raffle draw, some other 50-50 draw can only hogwash employee for so long.

The only reason I stayed with the company was because of my colleagues. My close coworkers became my family. But I had to seek higher paid employment to keep my family fed, may my bills, and save money for my children's future. If they at least let me choose my vacation day, I would have stayed longer. That was certainly what pushed me over the edge.
Pros
Good learning Experience. Friendly colleagues
Cons
Low Wage, bad management
Low Wage rate, rude mgmt, some stubborn colleagues
System Engineer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK25 November 2013

Which

Happy employee = Good Employee.

Pros
Good learning Experience.
Cons
Low Wage, Bad HR
very fun place to work in.
Systems Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK11 December 2012
- working hours are flexible.
- Teaches you different skills
- Unique experience
- Secure workplace.

Want to know more about International Road Dynamics Inc?

Ask a question