Interior Health logo

Interior Health Pay & benefits reviews

Clear
3.5Pay & benefits

A culture of privilege

The health industry is a great place to work and gain experience however IHA especially in kelowna, is vast with a culture of white privilege. The benefits are great the pay is okay but it’s not a culturally healthy and diverse place to work.

Typical Union Atmosphere

Their standard operating procedures leave huge room for errors. There were many suggestions on how to mistake-proof their systems but none were considered because of the cost. Money before people kind of atmosphere.

Pros

Some union protection

Cons

overtime and pressure

Rated #1?

The benefits are amazing.Pay is okay.A lot of people take advantage of the system which is heartbreaking as someone who cares about the clients.Decisions are made by people who know nothing about front line and don't make any sense - makes quality of care difficult.Definitely a hierarchy culture

Pros

Benefits, union, pay, job jump from within

Cons

Management, culture

Stressful, region short staffed

Top heavy management where your manager and supervisor have never done your job and don't even really know what goes on in your workplace. Although mine came and worked with us to try and support the workload, in the end there was too much work for our 4 MOA's and we never could figure out how to organize it efficiently. The whole Interior region is short staffed and people hop from one place to the next, and without casuals it made the workload impossible. Many end up on stress leave. Poorly organized and poorly run organization in general. Starting pay is low compared to Alberta health and it takes a long time to get the pay increases.

Pros

Pension and benefits, vacation

Cons

Everything else

IH is not the opportunity you were looking for

This organization is top heavy, full of managers for managers while the people on the bottom get piled with all the actual work. You will be overwhelmed with tasks, as they continue to demand more of you with less time, less staff and less resources to accomplish it. If you enjoy being micromanaged to death, lacking the ability to have any flexibility in your work or any work life balance, choose IH. While they offer benefits such as vacation and special leave, there are so many stipulations they are difficult to access. If you ask around, there are plenty of people who 'used to work'for interior health. Take that as a sign you shouldnt even start.

Nice place to work!

Working at RIH and Overlander in the food services department. It's a challenging job and not for the faint of heart, but it feels rewarding seeing the work done. Wage is fair, good health benefits (though if you are in a casual position, you have to pay into it). Unionized job too, so I feel secure in my employment, though it is tough with seniority and picking up shifts at first. Managers will help you out though and train you on additional shifts and help prebook you for blocks of shifts. There's also lots of internal positions opening up, so lots of room to diversify within Interior health. Overall a fun place to work, and the co-workers I have are awesome!

Pros

Benefits, good wage, unionized, flexible hours

Cons

Physically demanding, shifts can be difficult to pick up at first

Enjoyed working with the other staff members

You are a casual worker, hardly a chance to be permanent, full time. Did not know from one day to the next if you were working. Had to actually bid on jobs to receive them. Found this raised my anxiety level tremendously. Had many anxiety attacks to which I wasn't really offered any help. I haven't been back since.

Pros

Grest staff, management was ok.

Cons

Not knowing if you had hours. Very stressful trying to get them. Parking SUCKS for staff

Authoritative management disinterested in your actual work, only 'rules' and keeping you in your place.

I worked for IHA for 19 year as a Cook and then Housekeeper. My first four were casual -- all holidays, most summers -- till I got PT after a retirement. My union activism and refusal to be bullied left me depressed and disillusioned that dedication and hard work mattered -- only kowtowing and willingness to toe the party line did. I made numerous recommendations and suggestions, the vast majority of which were ignored or even mocked, until perhaps many years later when they suddenly became a (someone else's, namely mgmt) good idea. Repeated attempts to advance myself into supervisory positions were blocked for spurious reasons until I was literally paid to 'go away'. Recent contact has shown me little has changed in more than 15 years.

Pros

Pay and benefits, until gutted by former gov't.

Cons

Arrogant, entitled management, especially upper.

Great Job as long as you have a good manager

I greatly enjoyed the challenges and intricacies of my job with my hiring manager. However, during the course of restructuring I was left hanging for 6 months without any support or manager and then ended up with a new manager who had no understanding of my role or the vision of the previous manager.The culture changed from one of collaboration and team spirit to one of CYA.Executive level management leaves much to be desired, no support or communication and limited long-term vision.

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits, some great people to work with

Cons

Corporate culture, leadership

I'm a care aide

I've been working for IHA for a few years, it's not a bad company and they definitely pay you more than the private sector. However what you learn in school is definitely different from when you're doing it in real life and working short 3 days out of your 4 or 5 because no one wants to come in and pull a 3rd double. Management quality depends on where you work and if you suck up to them. Thankfully the one bully that we had is gone, but no one really did anything about her. At least the residents are nice.

Pros

Really good benefits. Potential for OT job security shift differential pay

Cons

You work short A LOT management can play favourites some people are a bit racist

Jobs at Interior Health

See more jobs

Work hard

Everyone there is competive and works hard clients are the best prt of the job union workers union protected shifts start at 7a and 7pm highest paid kms

Poor management/ zero career progression

management unskilled and have no clue as to how to manage staff, shameful treatment of staff, especially during stressful times. Lack of trained employees means regular duties are not covered when taking vacation or time off sick. Bullyish tactics by management prevail. Safety issues raised by workers are ignored. Union contact often ignored resulting in numerous grievences, very negative atmosphere created by poor management & and ‘blame’ culture.

Constant changes/high turn-around

Expect to start as Casual/on-call. Employees are called according to seniority. It's hard to get seniority when all the Employees who have been there a long time are getting called. If you can afford to wait-it-out then this may be just the job for you! For someone who needs an income this will be an anchor holding you back from your career!

Management could be more considerate

Courses that are not covered, example,food safe should be covered through Ih . To much favourtisim, bullying Pay is good, Workloads are to much , witch could lead to injurys.

Interior health

I love my job there but have relocated and kept a casual position. Salary could be more but I am happy to have the opportunity with IH. I am looking forward to start my career in a new city

Good wage, poor support.

Good wages. Expectations can be heavy with no support systems in place. Needs more education built in to work schedule, not just on your days off. Some really good people work here and make teamwork a priority.

Revolving door just gets bigger and bigger

I have worked as a community care aide for over 8 years,and from all that hard work all i have gotten is a measly 6 hr a day 4 day a week posting,horrible schedulers who have absolutely no clue about simple logistics,no decent postings available,clueless managers and supervisors who do not stay long anyways,drive your vehicle into the ground for very little in the way of compensation,you just like the clients are just a name and number..latest is trying to recruit new hires with a shiny outdated electronic bauble..A.K.A Iphone 6 or hopefully retain those already there with same bauble..you know what would retain employees..better postings than 0.01 F.T.E..that is an absolute insult almost as much of an insult for what they pay to wreck your vehicle I would never recommend working for these clowns especially community care..have a lot more to say but they will just do the copy and paste canned response they always do..someone making good money to sit in front of a pc and do nothing really..worst place to work ever!!

Pros

Cons

everything

Well integrated Laboratory Services

My experience with Interior Health was quite positive. I found that the smoothness of its operations to be quite remarkable and as well, demonstrates clear process focus.

Pros

Ease of operations, pay and benefits are included

Cons

Callback at times can be tough but this is part of the job

Allows and expects professional growth.

I felt empowered to do my job, even to stretch my abilities, without being micromanaged, and at the same time had access to assistance if the need arose.

Pros

Wages and benefits, culture, management style

Cons

I had move and couldn't transfer due to different union, even though same exact position.

It's a good job

It's a good job and its unionized so you get a lot of good benefits. Very team like and atmosphere. The staff are very helpful to one another and the pay is very good

Great employer great teams

Interior Health is truly the best employer that I have come across so far. This is a place you will find truly supportive management, great teammates and great experiences. The salary in Home Support starts a little less than a facility, but is so worth it in experience and the opportunity to be creative and adventure beyond a hospital like setting. The idea alone of helping people stay in their homes as long as possible is a positive feeling for a worker and a client. This is not a job for the faint of heart. You need a little creativity, equipment and tools are not neatly set out for you and that is what I would say is the is one challenge to the job. Another downside, is getting past the casual position. It is a hard slug making a living with casual hours until a position becomes available. Because you typically work alone in the community on a daily basis, the company has put in safety check ins. This ensures, that you are accounted for during your day. This is a company who is concerned for your safety. I would strongly recommend this work to anyone who is creative, likes to drive, and has a strong desire to help others.

Pros

Meaningful Work, and fosters creativity

Cons

Casual work, getting to the regular hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Interior Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement