Interior Health

Interior Health Employee Reviews

I enjoy the people that I work with, they are supportive and helpful in the craziness that surrounds us each shift. Unfortunately, we are almost always short staffed, and at this point in the pandemic most of us nurses are burnt out. Just not enough nurses to fill the empty positions. Staff parking at many of the Hospitals in the health region is nonexistent.
Pros
Good Co-workers
Cons
Short staffing, Parking
Their standard operating procedures leave huge room for errors. There were many suggestions on how to mistake-proof their systems but none were considered because of the cost. Money before people kind of atmosphere.
Pros
Some union protection
Cons
overtime and pressure
I was only there for a short time doing a casual/on-call position, but I loved every minute of it. The supervisors were all wonderful, they were helpful, patient, and just overall nice people. The office had very, very strict Covid protocols and security, I felt completely safe working there. I hope to go back someday.
Pros
Wonderful people
Cons
they constantly leave patients at home far too long when they should be in full care. the basic schedules for a shift will have 3.5 hours of work in 2-hour time slots. they don't care if you miss having a lunch break due to being overworked. they tell you that you can have a lunch break tomorrow. you can phone an LTC 20 times and nothing will be done to solve your problem. The only time you hear from management is when you've done something wrong. a very stressful place to work. do not recommend my worst enemy to work here. Working off the ancient phones they so proudly gave us is so difficult,,,waaay too small. it's hard to work without knowing your teammates, you are all alone if you have questions about clients.
Pros
you will learn that you deserve better
Cons
hard shifts, too many clients, no support, vindictive schedulers
Terrible place to work at. Would not recommend anyone to work here. Management is not helpful as they are barely there and when they are they just pick on everything you do. Manager simply doe not answer questions if she does not agree with them
Pros
Wage
Cons
It’s a union job so you are. Limited on advancement including wage increases as they have set amounts and everyone makes the same, whether they are experienced or not.
I adore my job and am very proud to work for Interior Health. It is a creative and collaborative environment with excellent career advancement opportunities.
The benefits are amazing.Pay is okay.A lot of people take advantage of the system which is heartbreaking as someone who cares about the clients.Decisions are made by people who know nothing about front line and don't make any sense - makes quality of care difficult.Definitely a hierarchy culture
Pros
Benefits, union, pay, job jump from within
Cons
Management, culture
Enjoyed the working environment. Fast paced and excellent mentoring was offered. Helped a new student in Nursing field become involved and educated for Acute training requirements.
Pros
Realistic options on holidays and scheduling
Cons
Long hours bexexpected to have sleep deprivation.
Working in a culture of strong, independent, passionate, people, has been a beautiful experience. I have enjoyed working in the community and will take this experience along with me to any future employment.
Pros
Supporting client’s independence
Cons
Lack of support from WorkSafeBC
Working for interior health home support has been one of the most rewarding career opportunities I have ever been given. the culture and environment of the workplace is quite friendly and cooperative they actively encourage individuals to progressively grow and improve themselves p
Top heavy management where your manager and supervisor have never done your job and don't even really know what goes on in your workplace. Although mine came and worked with us to try and support the workload, in the end there was too much work for our 4 MOA's and we never could figure out how to organize it efficiently. The whole Interior region is short staffed and people hop from one place to the next, and without casuals it made the workload impossible. Many end up on stress leave. Poorly organized and poorly run organization in general. Starting pay is low compared to Alberta health and it takes a long time to get the pay increases.
Pros
Pension and benefits, vacation
Cons
Everything else
This organization is top heavy, full of managers for managers while the people on the bottom get piled with all the actual work. You will be overwhelmed with tasks, as they continue to demand more of you with less time, less staff and less resources to accomplish it. If you enjoy being micromanaged to death, lacking the ability to have any flexibility in your work or any work life balance, choose IH. While they offer benefits such as vacation and special leave, there are so many stipulations they are difficult to access. If you ask around, there are plenty of people who 'used to work'for interior health. Take that as a sign you shouldnt even start.
After years of working with interior was a stressful horrible experience when dealing with management. The actual job was great. I love working with senior. The politics and constant change of policies was a hassle and stressful, I experienced bulling and was treated poorly, over worked. I ended up going on leave after having a mental break down caused by my supervisor.
Pros
Seeing the lovely clients
Cons
Poor pay
Working at RIH and Overlander in the food services department. It's a challenging job and not for the faint of heart, but it feels rewarding seeing the work done. Wage is fair, good health benefits (though if you are in a casual position, you have to pay into it). Unionized job too, so I feel secure in my employment, though it is tough with seniority and picking up shifts at first. Managers will help you out though and train you on additional shifts and help prebook you for blocks of shifts. There's also lots of internal positions opening up, so lots of room to diversify within Interior health. Overall a fun place to work, and the co-workers I have are awesome!
Pros
Benefits, good wage, unionized, flexible hours
Cons
Physically demanding, shifts can be difficult to pick up at first
You are a casual worker, hardly a chance to be permanent, full time. Did not know from one day to the next if you were working. Had to actually bid on jobs to receive them. Found this raised my anxiety level tremendously. Had many anxiety attacks to which I wasn't really offered any help. I haven't been back since.
Pros
Grest staff, management was ok.
Cons
Not knowing if you had hours. Very stressful trying to get them. Parking SUCKS for staff
Executive and entire organization needs to be eliminated as the culture is so toxic it created a zombieland. HR a complete failure. Avoid if you can.
Pros
Negotiating larger buyout
Cons
If you're given the toughest project your termination is guaranteed
The health industry is a great place to work and gain experience however IHA especially in kelowna, is vast with a culture of white privilege. The benefits are great the pay is okay but it’s not a culturally healthy and diverse place to work.
I worked for IHA for 19 year as a Cook and then Housekeeper. My first four were casual -- all holidays, most summers -- till I got PT after a retirement. My union activism and refusal to be bullied left me depressed and disillusioned that dedication and hard work mattered -- only kowtowing and willingness to toe the party line did. I made numerous recommendations and suggestions, the vast majority of which were ignored or even mocked, until perhaps many years later when they suddenly became a (someone else's, namely mgmt) good idea. Repeated attempts to advance myself into supervisory positions were blocked for spurious reasons until I was literally paid to 'go away'. Recent contact has shown me little has changed in more than 15 years.
Pros
Pay and benefits, until gutted by former gov't.
Cons
Arrogant, entitled management, especially upper.
I greatly enjoyed the challenges and intricacies of my job with my hiring manager. However, during the course of restructuring I was left hanging for 6 months without any support or manager and then ended up with a new manager who had no understanding of my role or the vision of the previous manager.The culture changed from one of collaboration and team spirit to one of CYA.Executive level management leaves much to be desired, no support or communication and limited long-term vision.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits, some great people to work with
Cons
Corporate culture, leadership
I absolutely loved my job at interior health. My coworkers were great and supportive. Even my supervisors when I started were amazing...then there was restructuring and just like that my dream job became a nightmare because of one person.
Pros
Good pay, fun work environment