Intact
Happiness score is 44 out of 100

Working at Intact: Employee Reviews

Canada396 reviews

adjusterclaimcentreinsurancebalanceworkloadsalaryculture

Good Company for Insurance Experience, Even Better for Stress and Poor Work/Life Balance

Be wary of claims department. If you're a good customer service rep they'll push you to become an adjuster without being transparent about the workload. For most adjusters they either work lots of overtime to keep up with claims or they don't work overtime at all and fall behind but are content with it. Then as an adjuster you can really only move up to adjuster level 2 and 3 and move to a different type of adjuster whether auto, property, commercial, accident benefits or bodily injury. It's difficult to get to some of the other positions you may be looking for in the company.

Pros

Benefits, Espp, Defined Contribution, Recognition, Nice Office, Hybrid WFH

Cons

Work/Life Balance, Compensation

Decent pay and benefits/Awful work-life balance

I worked from home as an insurance adjuster on the auto department. Length of training was not sufficient for the tasks that needed to be performed. As such, I often felt ill-equipped to help customers. Some very knowledgeable managers, but often unreachable due to high call volumes and being in meetings back and forth. Work-life balance was non-existent, and it was not uncommon to be dealing with 150-200 claims at a time. Intact rarely offered any OT, but it was not a secret that many adjusters would work unpaid OT to keep up with the workload. In spite of decent pay and benefits, I would not recommend this job.

Insights into Intact

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Overall satisfaction

Extremely busy Call Centre

The Johnson Insurance/Intact Home/Auto Customer Service Call Centre in St. John’s was terrible. My experience:- The call centre is always hiring because of the huge amount of turnover. - There is very little training once you are actually on the phone (it’s too busy)- Monday’s are a nightmare - Micromanagement (your stats are everything)- You have to deal with a lot unhappy callers. - Managers spend most of their days in meetings. - Calls are getting more complicated because chatbots handle the easy requests. - Very few opportunities for advancement unless you want to be a call centre manager- Unrealistic targets and metrics - Low pay raises - The job involves sitting all day and constantly looking at a computer screen. - It’s a high pressure job with back to back calls - Shift work is challenging for people who have families or interests outside of work. - It seems like the corporation is focused on growth at all costs. - It’s common to get stuck on a call and be 20 minutes late leaving workI’m glad I finally moved on to a different industry.

Unmanageable workload and high expectations

I worked with Intact for a number of years and one thing has always been obvious; there is a rotating door of employees coming and going. Understandably so, there is a high turnover rate. I feel one of the reasons this is, is because the company is grossly understaffed in all departments and all employees are overworked, under-recognized and expectations are high. Salary and benefits are good. Depending on your manager, you may feel supported or you may not. They use systems that are not user friendly and are time consuming to complete basic tasks. Overall, in my time there I felt like keeping your head above water was absolutely impossible. Theres no limit on the amount of work they distribute to each employee.

Unmanageable workload

Your experience greatly depends on who your direct manager is. Most of them are good, few will make your life miserable.Work load is beyond unmanageable all year round. It causes me a lot of stress during and after work hours. Higher management keeps dangling the carrot. They say they re hiring help but they barely hire enough to cover the number of people leaving. Every adjuster is expected to do the job of 3.It is extremely hard to move away from a claim handling role. Many experienced employees ended up leaving the company because they cant advance outside of claim handling. That being said, if you would like to advance in your role as a claim adjuster, the company is actually great, they will train you and offer promotions, again, as long as you re still handling claims.Compensation is average imo. Benefits are great. Good health/dental plans, 15+2 days off, sometimes they ll give everyone an extra day off. Xmas eve and new years eve off. Possibility to purchase extra 5 days off (payroll deductions) and employee share purchase plan. Many other perks.

Pour les actuaires

Peu d’importance est accordée aux non actuairesPeu d’innovationPeu de possibilités d’avancement pour les non actuaires

Great place to work with some room for improvement

Great benefits, structured and supportive management, average pay standard. The company offers a flexible work arrangement. The company also invests in good computer system which makes your work smooth. A great working environment. May not be the best company but way better than most of the insurance companies out there. I just wish they could pay us much better.

Pros

The company spends on employee team building

Cons

Can be busy at times and heavy workloads.

Drowning.

I’ve been pretty lucky and never had to experience drowning in a body of water. However, working for intact has made me feel as if I can get a breath of air. I’ve worked for a few call centres in my past that had very questionable training and by the end you felt a little overwhelmed but you eventually would catch on to things. Intact training is under three weeks, in that time frame you are given so much information everything seems to cave into one pile of questions and before you have the chance to ask them you’re onto another topic. I had previous insurance experience but nothing could prepare me for the responsibilities that have been thrown upon me in such a short amount of time. We are so under staffed us as a new hire we’re thrown into the middle of the ocean with no life raft, we have little to know idea how to do anything, we have zero support, the people we have to ask questions are busy talking calls or just not available to answer us at the time. It’s almost two months and I haven’t had a full conversation with my manager to share my thought about not being prepared for live calls. They don’t care, they want you to fail and learn things on your own, they are drowning in the lack of employees and it shows by how fast we were thrown through training. I’m sick to my stomach working every day and my entire training class is clueless with 90% of the things we run into on a day to day basis. I know Intact realizes the amount of time we’re getting for training isn’t enough but they can’t afford to allow another two weeks for training cause it’s money they’ll be losing -

Pros

A nice office.

Cons

No breaks, one hours lunch, no management, no help, over worked, understaffed, terrible training, no support during transition period, the list goes on.

Do not care about their employees.

Previously under a different company, recently bought out by Intact. Since that time basic benefits have been reduced, breaks have been eliminated and replaced with a one hour lunch break and “away” time for a few minutes when you need a coffee or bathroom break through your the rest of the day. However too much away time is bad, so you’re penalized for taking tiny breaks despite being encouraged to so the company doesn’t owe you one. Not enough staff to handle the huge number of calls in waiting and with the other small administrative queue breaks also being taken away you are overwhelmed and unable to breathe much of the time. Management is okay for the most part but there have been so many changes with the buy out that I don’t feel I am working for the same company I started with and have lost any and all enjoyment in my workplace; a feeling mirrored by others.

Belle équipe dynamique!

L'empathie, la compassion, le respect, l'écoute et l'entraide sont toujours présents!

Pros

Assurances complètes, régime de retraite, télétravail

Cons

Stationnement payant au centre-ville, horaire variable

Inconsistent, constant change

You know it's a bad sign when the HR person tells you upfront "If you don't like change, don't work at Intact."While the staff are all generally very pleasant to work with, there is a constant turn over of employees at a management level and above. Since 2014, I have had a new manager or Director to report to every 17 months. This becomes a problem when the company constantly tells the employee that ALL issues must be taken to your manager. There are no clear channels for employees to deal directly with HR, and if the issue IS your manager, there are no options for the employee.Practices & procedures change with each new change to management, so there is a general feeling of no stable base for the companies operations. The companies overall model of growth seems to be purely based on acquisition and in recent years the company has suffered from increased attrition & employee turn over.As an overall introduction to the Insurance industry, Intact is a great place to get you started. The company encourages internal mobility, offering opportunities for lateral movement with the company; however there is very little incentive to maintain a long career with the company.

Toxic workplace environment

Managers are there to micromanage you all the time. Company gets claims for sure but does not have the staff to handle them all which leads to employee dissatisfaction and ultimately quitting the job.

Great firm to work at with decent benefits

Lovely company. I can’t complain about this company as it meets all my needs and the people are kind. Flexible working and if you have a manager that supports you, you can grow within the company. Plenty of benefits and opportunities for collaboration.

Best work experience I’ve had!

Best work experience I’ve had!Okay management teamA lot of perksWork from homeUplifting managersNice work environment Friendly coworkers Great location

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Repetitive work

Sweatshop comes to mind!

It would help if they paid attention to why people keep leaving. If management actually cared about worklife balance and not treating employees like machines, then perhaps it wouldn't be hands down, one of the worst places to work for Claims adjusters.

Pros

Pros? Not worth it.

Cons

It would be nice to look forward to work sometimes. Not here.

Gestionnaire

Beaucoup de mouvement au niveau des gestionnaires c’est toujours à recommencer. Des VP qui sont là parce qu’ils ont des bons amis et qui ne sont pas à l’écoute et irrespectueux. Une DU qui a eu plusieurs plaintes aux RH mais a été protégé et comme récompense d’avoir fait du harcèlement elle a eu un titre et salaire supérieur ! Pis ça dit que ça des belles valeurs comme entreprise? Quand tu as de l’expérience dans le domaine ils n’aiment pas ça préfèrent montrer à des débutants. Une chance qu’on a des bons avantages!

Pros

Télétravail

Cons

Pas d’écoute

2 months of interviews

Overtime I did the interview process which was nearly two months of my time. I got into the last interview and as soon as I made contact with one of the interviewers I just felt I would not get the job. Sure enough a few weeks after that interview I did not get the job. But overall I was enjoyed other portions of the interview process not the final one.

Very good culture

Management is supportive. Good career advancement. Chances to learn are amazing.Two Of interviews of the first being a Videos video interview and the next one in person.Very good managers

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

travail équipe agréable gestionnaire formidable

travail agréable pour personne dévoué à l employeur travail équipe important et essensiel pour réussir

Pros

écoute de gestionnaire

Cons

jeune employé moins dévoué

Fast-paced but rewarding

The company is overall fast-paced with alot of new changes. Rotation is encourage to keep learning. Salary is adjusted according to the market every so often. Benefit such as the pension plan is a big plus.

Great staff, terrible management, heavy workload

Staff are kind, hard working and welcoming. Work life balance is cited everywhere but unpaid OT is expected. Promotions are based on your likeability by management. They let go their best and most skilled managers in the last year or two. Things are just falling apart. Current management does not offer proper coaching and are not technically skilled in their role. When you ask questions to grow they make you feel like you are wasting their time and they tell you that you should be more self sufficient. Never any positive feedback, just high expectations. Workload is double/triple other companies. The size of this company is the only appeal, as it allows for good profit sharing and benefits. Bigger, not always better.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Intact. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement