Insurance Corporation of British Columbia Employee Reviews

work place drama
Claim Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC14 December 2018
too much work place drama and questionable management and turn over rate.

learned not to trust management.

you can't correct anyone if they are wrong or they consider it rude and management will write you up. this is why the company is consider a fire dumpster.

too many middle management all you need is one manager to put the schedule down, I mean the manager never did your job or know enough about it.

hardest part of the job is dealing if drama at work.

the most enjoyable part is the 4 days off after.
Pros
four day on four day off for work schedule
Cons
workplace drama, and questionable management
Amazing work/life balance
Express estimator (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC12 November 2018
Positive and helpful work environment. Great benefits, huge room for growth and opportunities to advance. Excellent benefits, management is wonderful.
multicultural work place
Customer Service Repersentative (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC30 October 2018
ICBC has a multicultural environment where people come from different background and work together share immense knowledge with each other.
This company taught me how to work in a team.
Supportive staff; good benefits
Senior Injury Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC29 October 2018
Supportive staff; good benefits

Many options for office locations compared to other similar sized corporations located in the province allowing for smaller commutes.
Don't waste your life
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC9 October 2018
I worked in several departments before resigning. Bureaucratic environment, high turn over for a reason. Don't get caught up in the glitz and glamour of benefits ICBC will suck the soul out of you.
Pros
Benefits, pension
Cons
Micro Management
Productive and fun workplace
Test Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 September 2018
Great work environment, well managed project, advanced IT system. I have had the opportunity to test Guidewire ClaimCenter, RightFax, DOC1, ESB, EngageOne, PrintShop
So much opportunity
HR (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC14 September 2018
I've been working at ICBC around two years now. It is my first role in the public sector, so I wasn't sure what to expect.
ICBC is an extremely well run organization, particularly when having to operate within the constraints of government direction. Independent audits by big 4 firms have confirmed this on two occasions in recent years.
Flexibility, culture and management style varies greatly by role and division. Within HR it's excellent. More than half the roles are filled internally, so there are always opportunities to grow and develop. The organization is genuinely committed to a diverse and inclusive and respectful workplace - all managers undergo annual training and pass this along to their teams every year. Similarly there is a large focus on sustainability, and the organization operates carbon neutral - some achievement for this industry.

Lots and lots of great people; many in our department would be able to earn far more in the private sector, but stay due to the variety of work, flexibility, stability, and positive work environment.

The biggest frustrations for me are:
1. The ridiculous salary freeze in place for non union employees since 2012, enforced by PSEC our governing body.
2. The dated technology used in some areas of the business - we use a version of SAP that may pre-date the internet...
Pros
See above
Cons
See above
Ticks all the boxes in terms of career development
Recruitment Specialist (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC14 September 2018
Despite what you hear about ICBC, it is a great company to work for. I have been lucky to work for some exceptional managers, who value my contribution and support me in my career advancement. I've also been lucky to work with some extremely talented teams and people who genuinely want to make a difference, every single day.

We work hard here - but the company still supports a decent work/life balance.
Pros
Great team, work/life balance, career opportunities
Cons
Salary freeze, often used as a political pawn
Good Benefits - if you stay at the job!
Confidential Assistant to Directors (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC13 September 2018
I worked with great people while I was with ICBC. They hired good managers and I reported to a great mentor and have met other administrators that are equally wonderful.
Great place to work with opportunity for advancement
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BC10 September 2018
Great benefits with every other Fridays off. Challenging work but rewarding in helping people get through the claims process. Your job is spent a lot of time on the phone with clients from all over the province that may not speak English but we offer a translation service of all languages.
Terrible work life balance
Customer Service Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 September 2018
Terrible work life balance - run inefficiently and with lack of transparency between management and employees. No company culture with a general cloud of negativity stemming from employees' resentment at management for feeling underappreciated and overworked. This added to the union environment where everything from vacation, to shift bids, to desk preferences were given on a seniority basis. With no meritocracy in place, a general complacent apathy replaced compassionate service or a concerted team effort in any form, and this now inherently describes ICBC as a corporation, to it's customers and employees alike.
fast paced, good coworkers
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC26 August 2018
at the moment, quite under staffed. But a good place to work nonetheless. It's a very steep learning curve and training is very stressful - you won't be fully comfortable till about 6 months in. The hardest part of the job is just the stuff that comes with being in customer service. The most enjoyable part of the job is the supportive coworkers.
Very stressful place to work.
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC29 July 2018
There are not enough reps to serve the multitude of clients and therefore everyone is stressed out and need to take time off. management is a little disorganized.
Pros
wage
Cons
management
Great leadership and team.
Claims Document Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 July 2018
Data entry.
Awesome team and managers in my department.
Great training and loads of opportunities to advance.
Nice and busy yet we manage to have fun.
Excellent work environment
Collections Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC6 June 2018
ICBC provided an excellent work environment. Co-workers were a pleasure to work with and the organization created a workplace of respect where ideas were listened to in order make the organization a better place to work as well as better service to the policy holders.
Pros
Flexable hours
Cons
Too many supervisory meetings which did take away time from direct dealings with the staff.
Icbc
Broker Enquiry Unit Agent (Current Employee) –  Surrey1 June 2018
Great company benefits, not so much with work/life balance.

Job culture is non existent, with the exception of annual Christmas luncheon.

Colleagues make the work place friendly and bearable atmosphere.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
no balance with job work/ life balance
complex
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Vancouver Harbour, BC10 May 2018
hmmmm
...challenging in a great way, but so much uncertainty - no one knows who does what anymore....

large org, many places to transfer in/out - union staff is held down without a lot of training, development or promotion opportunties
Pros
most people are really awesome
Cons
...you don't often get to work with the people above
It is a Provincial Government Corporation
Bodily injury adjuster (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 April 2018
When I began to work for the Corporation, its management style was based on the British Insurance system and philosophy. We are working to solve the problem of our customers. Unfortunately as time progress, it was clear as younger managers advance, they pushed out the older managers and promotion within the Corporation became clear that you have to be friendly with the MAN IN CHARGE. It was a time, when female clerks gets promotion to claims adjuster position when un qualify. These same people would later become the 3rd wife of the District Manager. That District Manager has since been let go for wrongful use of expenses claims and other serious matter of personal conduct
Pros
able to help people at the time of most need
Cons
office politics
Great coworkers, central locations, interesting work.
Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 April 2018
I love working at ICBC mainly due to the interesting file load and the terrific coworkers. Everyone is willing to pitch in and help in a pinch and there is a lot of sharing of knowledge and resources. Prima donnas and queen bees will not last long in this environment.

Wages are below market rate compared to outside firms but the work life balance and supportive colleagues are superior. 3 weeks holiday to start plus time off provisions that equal another 3 weeks (about 6 weeks total to start). Benefit plan is excellent and full STD, LTD and pension.

Training and onboarding of new hires could be improved. All the systems we use are internal databases and document management programs that no one will know before coming to ICBC. It takes a while to learn all these programs and coworkers do not have time to teach each other.

It can be challenging to move positions or advance due to management politics and seniority. Most positions are bargaining unit and seniority is a big factor in allocating time off and advancement. Management is either overbearing, invasive or abandons you.

Overall, a good place to work.
Pros
Great coworkers, benefits, time off, social aspects, location, interesting work.
Cons
Management is clueless or overbearing. Training could be improved.
great
Rehabilitation Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 February 2018
was a great job! enjoyed my time, had good stability, great colleagues, and a great manager. Able to have a good work-life balance, easy access to transit as well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Insurance Corporation of British Columbia. Our community is ready to answer.