Instacart Employee Review

Good work for moms
full service shopper (Current Employee) –  GTA, ON9 January 2018
I was going to rate at 5 stars, but today I had unpleasant issue that I hadn't before. Usually my phone starts to beep when you have the order, but today Instacart send notification that I am out of zone and I have to drive to working zone location so I did. It took me half an hour to drive there and guess what? I had to seat in my car and wait for order to come for several hours! So I spend all my schedule in a car with NO orders! Now question: who is going to pay for my gas and parts for my car? Plus they didn't count half an hour that I was driving!!! In general there's more issues like:
- hard to find the right product, especially if it is ethnic product that you never seen before, but probably with the time you will get it.
- some app issues happens from time to time.
- sometimes you need to contact with help center urgently and there's no hot lines so you have to send a message and wait for couple days them to contact you back. So you going back and forth, back and forth...
- you have to work on time. If you are facing with difficult client who is taking your time by texting you back and forth because they are changing their mind regarding their order you will run out of time and your rating at Instacart will be lower so next time you won't be able to get more hours and so on.
Pros
flexible hours and easy to schedule.
Cons
poor or no tips, salary wish to be higher (they pay less than minimum wage), most of the times you have to carry heavy bags, sometimes it is hard to find the customers location, some places don't have parking or paid parking, gas and parts for your car on your own expences.

Other Instacart Employee Reviews

New warning structure is absolutely a nightmare for shoppers
Fulltime shopper (Current Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario11 December 2018
First Day of Experience on New Earning Structure (Absolutely Nightmare)

I have to say this is absolutely nightmare for us on this new earning structure. This is not a incentive program but a absolutely driving-shopper-away program.

Before I explain why this doesn’t make sense to me, let me give you some figures which also a calculation that matter to me or to most of shoppers the most. After a year working with Instacart, i have slowly built up experience and familiarity in the whole system and with all superstores in my area. My average in my area is around 70 sec per item and this has been contributing to my earning a lot before they changed the whole structure. and i could earn at least 25 per hour according to my last 4 weeks report.

I had just finished my first shift of 3 hours since the new structure imposed, my earning was 25 for two batches (one 10 and the other one 15). Let me convert to my preferred calculation is 8.3 per hour without deduction of gas, car deprecation. And you are telling me this is FAIR??

About the new earning structure, I really have no idea why they advertised this is better than the previous one. There are lots of factors affecting the incentive like store location, layout, difficulty of item, time of day store size, checkout type, etc. i have no understanding about why these matter that much to the whole earning structure.

First of all, the store size, checkout type has really less impact on our shopping experience because once we get familiar with the store layout we basically know where to get the items our customer requested.
  more... it might be considerable to new shoppers but how many shoppers here are new, we are sophisticated shoppers with experience.

Secondly, the store location, distance between the store and customer place matter. However, there is one important factor is not considered: the distance between my current location to the designated store. we have to spend time to travel to the store and spend time on traffic which is not compensated. when it comes to the earning. we spend the same time to complete an order but with way less earning in comparison with previous structure.

Thirdly, peak time earning is making zero sense. The number of shoppers they accept during the peak time frame is decided by the system by how many customer orders available during the specific time. it means, to individual shopper, peak time doesn’t mean we can shop for more batches because if we can consistently receive batches during peak time, the number of batches we can do in maximum is still not increased. However, it looks like peak earning is lured but our basic earning is way less than before. When it comes to final earning, we still work for the same number of batches by the end of shift but make less money than we had made before.

Fourthly, 0.4 dollor per kg distance pay is absolutely unfair pay. Thinking about downtown area, how many batches would be actually needed for travel distance more than 10km. BUT we still need time to travel to store, find parking lot, load and unload goods, stuck in traffic, walk up to customer unit in high-floors building, etc. All I what to say is the time spending for a batch is not merely calculated by the distance between targeted store and customer’s place, there are lots of contributors that we, as a shopper, need to spend time to fulfill, and time is money.

To sum up, from 25 per hour to 8 per hour, this is absolutely nightmare and the least appealing quick-cash work i would choose to do. If we cannot make fair money from this job, then why are we contributing our effort and time to work for them.

I have been with Instacart since the first time the the program was rolled out on 2017 but now I am considering leaving. UNFAIR JOB..
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Huge cut in pay, unfair pay
Hate gig economy
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 November 2018
I took this job to learn driving in Calgary better. I achieved that, and LOST money attempting to earn some. The zones for Instacart are too big to serve and actually make money.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Instacart. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7