Instacart Employee Reviews

Would not recommend
shopper (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, IN16 November 2017
Provided all the requirements necessary to begin and it is going on two months and numerous promises from customer service to deliver a shoppers card so that I can begin,still....nothing( insert picture of skeleton on park bench here)
Pros
Sounds like a fun way to make some extra cash
Cons
Terrible customer service, no follow up
Great for stay at home moms with kids in school!
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Corona, CA15 November 2017
I am very happy to be apart of the Instacart team. It has allowed me to earn some extra income without taking time away from my family obligations. I can even work while I have my children, before dinner time.
I am very greatful for this opportunity and so thankful Instacart has come into my life.
Pros
Flexible, no dress code
Cons
Ap sometimes boots you out because you are not in the “zone” although the city may be close.
Meh at Kansas City
Full Service Shopper (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MO15 November 2017
- Very slow, constantly getting asked to end shift because there’s not enough customers.

-Not transparent on how you’re getting paid or how much when you’re looking at a batch.

-Hard to reach any sort of support during shift.

-App doesn’t consistently work.

- Time is better devoted to finding another side gig honestly.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Probably will lose money
No benefits keep workers under 30 hours
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Campbell, CA13 November 2017
I thought shopping for others would be fun, but the stress of being timed and lack of easy replacements and no overtime, and no benefits... If you are trying to pick up a little extra cash, fine, but if you want a real job go elsewhere
Temporary Side Money
Instacart Contract Shopper (Current Employee) –  Inland Empire, CA13 November 2017
This is a dead end job that puts miles and ware on your vehicle. It is hard to get hours in the area where you live. The app is terrible. Management doesn't respond to you.
Great experience until it was time to get paid.
Full time Shopper (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SC13 November 2017
Haven't recieved pay from TWO WEEKS AGO! No one explained that you had to have a checking account in order to recieve your pay. I only have a savings and Instacart systems can't deposit into savings account. My bank does credit checks in order to get a checking account and I did not get approved. Instacart has not solve that problem after almost three weeks! Very unprofessional and out of order, I would not recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
Pick hours, Easy job
Cons
Poor communication, Unprofessional
InstaCart
Full Service Shopper (Current Employee) –  Surprise, AZ12 November 2017
Good job and it is a make your own schedule but there are slow days and that is what makes it more of a 2nd job type of job you most likely couldn't make a living just of of this job.
Kansas City
Full time shopper (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KS11 November 2017
Whoever decided to roll out this program in Kansas City did not take the time to truly learn the locations of the various areas of which the program would be available.This made communication very difficult and frustrating.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No individual to communicate with, lack of proper training on the usage of the app or program, no dependable pay if deliveries are not made, logistics were never verified
Not suitable for primary income source.
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WA7 November 2017
Available hours go so fast that the only way to ensure you get any, might mean logging in 5 minutes before they become available and constantly refreshing the app to ensure you have first pick. And even if you do manage to get hours, that doesn't mean you're getting work. I live 30+ minutes from the nearest zone, and often a shift, for me, means sitting in my car doing nothing for hours while I wait for a batch to be assigned.

The app the shoppers use for just about every part of the job outside driving, can be glitchy and freezes or crashes at times. And if the app crashes or glitches when you've recieved an order, it can cause the order to go unacknowledged. Which is a Reliability Incident, which affects how many batches Instacart is inclined to assign to you. It also counts against your Batch Acceptance Rate, which is used to determine if you qualify for hourly wages.

This is a common enough problem that one would think they'd have a system in place for shoppers to challenge incident reports they weren't at fault for. Nope. And if you bring it up to Shopper Happiness, you get a boiler plate response telling you to check the app status.

If you're primarily looking for side-cash, Instacart's not bad. But I would caution anyone who's looking for reliable income.

Oh! Also, be on the watch for wage skimming. Last year Instacart had been caught hiding the tip function from customers, or presenting it as "additional tips".
Pros
Easy, decent money for the job, some customers are lovely
Cons
Can be very slow, no compensation, shopper support is a myth
productive
Full Service Shopper (Current Employee) –  Newnan, GA4 November 2017
this job is very easy and quick to learn. look at my video on how to become an instacart shopper https://youtu.be/S7PSBMZcL-4 please be sure to ask me any questions, i will proudly help you.
Pros
breaks, competitive, pay
Cons
hourly guarentee
System lies and it screws up your pay
Full service shopper (Current Employee) –  Everett, WA4 November 2017
I’ve only been working for Instacart for a little over a month. 2 weeks in a row now at the end of my scheduled weeks my batch acceptance rate has been below the 80% required for the guaranteed pay in this area. I’m committing 35+ hrs a week to them and they are new to this market so I’m only getting 4 or 5 batches a WEEK right now. So pay wise that’s $130 vs $400 in my area. Here’s the problems, their app is saying I’m not accepting batches but these alleged batches are never sent to me, it clocks you out if you don’t accept a batch and that hasn’t been happening during my scheduled hours. I’ve called them and sent them emails and I’m getting nowhere and no results. There are weekly app updates all which seem to be making things worse. I was under the impression this company had been around for a few years and I’d expect their app to have way less issues since that is our only tool as full service shoppers. I’m not impressed with this company. I was thinking this would be a great supplemental income but it’s a huge time commitment for no reason and I feel like they are stealing my life and money right now.
They are new to my market and I really wanted to jump on board when it was slow to get the hang of it
They are starting to get a little bit busier but that’s when all the problems have been happening.
Examples
Week 1- 1 batch for the week no issues 12 hrs scheduled
Week 2 - 1 batch for the week no- issues 18 hrs scheduled
Week 3 -3 batches for the week no issues 26hrs scheduled
Week 4 - 7 batches 2 issues total of 5 batches shopped 30hrs scheduled
Week
  more... 5- 9 batches 2 issues total of 7 batches shopped 36hrs scheduled.
The 2 issues in the last 2 weeks were the app telling me that I didn’t accept batches. They were never sent to me to accept or ignore. This is a bit frustrating.

Personally I’d stay away if they are new to the market, I think they would be great for a decent income in a busier area because the pay isn’t horrible when you have work to do.
Pros
Set your own hours
Cons
Bad communication avenues with no results, talk to or communicate with entirely too many people for 1 issue and nothing gets resolved
Zero shifts.
Driver (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FL3 November 2017
If you live in the WPB area, I would not recommend trying to work for Instacart. No shifts for weeks! Not sure why they allow people to sign up. Waste of time and bordering on scam-like behavior.
Pros
Realizing I should have applied for Shipt instead.
Cons
Wasted hours of my life.
Flexible worplace
Full-Service Shopper (Current Employee) –  Miami, FL3 November 2017
A typical day would be grocery shopping and then making deliveries to customers home. The job is flexible with your schedule and management is reached through mobile or email.
Pros
Flexible schdule
Cons
Use own car
Mediocre Job
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TX3 November 2017
It pays the bills but grabbing hours can be difficult.

I'm not to fond of how difficult some of the guest can be, and the complete lack of control you have over anything feels terrible.
Problems with apps and tech support is terrible
Full Service Shopper (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA2 November 2017
It's been six weeks. Getting worse every day. App keeps having problems, all the tech support does is tell you to wait.
They don't care about your shoppers. Treat us like robots.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Everything else
Good for those who need flexibility
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  New York, NY1 November 2017
Able to balance school and work
Pay varies on order
Able to cancel shift within 12 hr or so
Support team is prompt and helpful
Promote from within
Pros
Shift flexibility
Cons
Distances
Takes time in getting use to but laid back.
Driver/ deliverer (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WA29 October 2017
Haven't initially started yet but I have taken the demo practice trials on the instacart app and it all seems pretty simplbacks well as laid back, can't wait for my first order.
Decent for what it is
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZ29 October 2017
It's fine for what it is, it's just super clicky and unprofessional. You'll only advance if you're buddies with the management.

You'll work with both customers and "shoppers".
Pros
Cons
you lunch will get stolen, don't use the employee fridge
Nice place to work
Deliver Driver/Shopper (Current Employee) –  Denver, CO27 October 2017
Good and Fair company to work with. The hour setting is app based and direct pay into bank account, pay varies according to day and time and amount of work.
Pros
Flexible Hours and fair pay
Cons
lack of hours
makes a great side job
Delivery Driver/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA27 October 2017
Fun place to work if you have a spare car. the hardest part is finding parking . other than that its pretty simple and straight forward, either you just pick up groceries or you may have to do a little shopping.
Pros
fast and easy money
Cons
no parking

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Instacart. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5