Instacart Employee Reviews

Hate gig economy
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 November 2018
I took this job to learn driving in Calgary better. I achieved that, and LOST money attempting to earn some. The zones for Instacart are too big to serve and actually make money.
Risky sign up
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC26 October 2018
Seems like it could be a good idea. But I’m today’s world of hackers and scammers, you would have to be crazy to think I am going to give you a picture of my drivers license and other banking info before you even explain to me how much I could potentially make. Needless to say I didn’t finish the sign up.
Glad I didn’t too, all these other reviews look pretty bad.
Instacart
Instacart shopper (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON6 July 2018
The app is easy to understand install which is good. The layout over is well displayed, but the payout is terrible. This is not Ideal or promising at all. I would never recommend this company to anyone. Customer service sucks it does not get back to you with requires to meet the need of the employee. The promised hourly rate is never received upon doing the hours that is required. Do not look into wasting or investing your time into this company it’s not worth the time.
Pros
Cons
No payout & bad costumer service
Takes Advantage of It's Employees
Instacart Shopper (Current Employee) –  Canada22 May 2018
I've worked one shift as an instacart shopper and I already hate it. I signed up for an 8-hour shift thinking I would be paid at least minimum wage for those hours. Turns out you only get paid depending on how many deliveries you do and I only did one. So I sat around for 8 hours and got paid $11.80.
Pros
Cons
Low pay
Stay Away
Shopper (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON26 March 2018
If you are a shopper for this company, stay away!
There are a lot other mystery shopping and food delivery companies that is MUCH more pay than this.

I worked for 3 months and I realized this company now has the WORST payout in the history of all the delivery company I know.

Stay away, it is not worth it.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Low Pay
Good experience in Customer Service
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  BC., Canada16 March 2018
Can pick your hours and zone that is convenient for you. Good experience for store shopping and pick of replacements item of not available

Good to improve navigation skills and app software.
Pros
Free Launchers
Cons
No benifits and hourly rate
Not worth your time
shopper (Former Employee) –  Durham Region, ON27 February 2018
it took forever to set up the app, get the card in the mail and have my background check go through.

Just to realize they want me to deliver groceries North York ... I'm still not sure how 'getting hours' works on the app.
Fun job but painfully frustrating at times
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Durham Region, ON, Toronto & GTA27 February 2018
I started out with this company as soon as they came into Canada - I was already working as a delivery contractor so this seemed like a great opportunity.

Overall, the job itself is a lot of fun, since I enjoy grocery shopping, but the company and the app frustrate me beyond belief at times.

For example: you need to maintain a certain amount of hours to get what the call "Early Access Hours" meaning you pick your hours for the following week (not the current upcoming) on Sunday at 9am. Great - if you have full-time availability; if you're trying to balance multiple jobs and schedule according to familial commitments, good luck. If you don't average 30 hours per week (you have to work a total of 90 hours in 3 weeks) then you cannot pick your hours until Wednesday, by which point the pickings are slim. I live in Durham and want to work in Durham (this job involves enough driving without having to commute to other zones), but lately I am stuck desperately scraping together shifts downtown and in East or North York or Markham if I am lucky. Hours DO free up over the course of the week but that involves you obsessively looking at your phone every 20 minutes. How do you expect us to work full-time hours if there ARE NONE FROM WHICH TO PICK? I think 90 hours in three weeks is unreasonable, since like I said that's full-time work. You start out with Early Access so yes you could simply maintain it if this is indeed your only job, but that involves a whole lot of gas and/or waiting doing nothing sometimes.

The app - it is glitchy as all heck even though they are constantly
  more... updating it. In the updates they acknowledge bugs and claim they are fixed only for me to notices the same things happening, like shifts showing the wrong times or the acceptance screen bugging out or something.
I often lose connectivity even when I have full service and store Wifi is usually garbage on the rare times I've needed to rely on that (ie. the Leslieville Loblaws).

Shopper support isn;t particularly helpful. They sometimes take a few days to respond to your ticket and sometimes don't even acknowledge your main issue. I've received almost arbitrary responses to questions I haven't asked.

Anyway, done rambling.

If you want to do this for fun, go for it, and it can be awesome if you've been laid off or recently out of school and are having a hard time finding good work, like I am. But be forewarned that if you need to rely on this heavily you MAY go nuts. Although if you're chill and patient, maybe not. haha
Pros
freedom, pick your own schedule, fun, satisfaction of helping people, most customers are great and very appreciative
Cons
glitchy and buggy app, poor help desk, some inflexibility, not true acknowledgement for good or fast service
Overall it’s an ok job but very inconsistent fighting for hours
Shopper / delivery/ Driver (Current Employee) –  Toronto west, Mississauga, Oakville5 February 2018
I love working for this company but the hours are inconsistent because the way they have it set up we have beat other drivers to the hours we want and the areas we want to work. I enjoy meeting new people every day. I also try to help to the best of my knowledge.
Pros
We’re able to set our own hours
Cons
It’s very inconsistent.
Good work for moms
full service shopper (Current Employee) –  GTA, ON9 January 2018
I was going to rate at 5 stars, but today I had unpleasant issue that I hadn't before. Usually my phone starts to beep when you have the order, but today Instacart send notification that I am out of zone and I have to drive to working zone location so I did. It took me half an hour to drive there and guess what? I had to seat in my car and wait for order to come for several hours! So I spend all my schedule in a car with NO orders! Now question: who is going to pay for my gas and parts for my car? Plus they didn't count half an hour that I was driving!!! In general there's more issues like:
- hard to find the right product, especially if it is ethnic product that you never seen before, but probably with the time you will get it.
- some app issues happens from time to time.
- sometimes you need to contact with help center urgently and there's no hot lines so you have to send a message and wait for couple days them to contact you back. So you going back and forth, back and forth...
- you have to work on time. If you are facing with difficult client who is taking your time by texting you back and forth because they are changing their mind regarding their order you will run out of time and your rating at Instacart will be lower so next time you won't be able to get more hours and so on.
Pros
flexible hours and easy to schedule.
Cons
poor or no tips, salary wish to be higher (they pay less than minimum wage), most of the times you have to carry heavy bags, sometimes it is hard to find the customers location, some places don't have parking or paid parking, gas and parts for your car on your own expences.