Instacart Shoppers logo
Instacart Shoppers

Instacart Shoppers Employee Reviews

Found 94 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,607 reviews

Underpaid

Based on my experience, for a $20 worth of order without a tip, you will pick up 20 items or more, I spent two hours to get it done. Meaning $10bucks an hour, what about my gasoline, lucky if there’s a tip then it will make it even.

Pros

Work on your own time

Cons

Big tips, max earning $200 for 10hrs

New warning structure is absolutely a nightmare for shoppers

First Day of Experience on New Earning Structure (Absolutely Nightmare) I have to say this is absolutely nightmare for us on this new earning structure. This is not a incentive program but a absolutely driving-shopper-away program. Before I explain why this doesn’t make sense to me, let me give you some figures which also a calculation that matter to me or to most of shoppers the most. After a year working with Instacart, i have slowly built up experience and familiarity in the whole system and with all superstores in my area. My average in my area is around 70 sec per item and this has been contributing to my earning a lot before they changed the whole structure. and i could earn at least 25 per hour according to my last 4 weeks report. I had just finished my first shift of 3 hours since the new structure imposed, my earning was 25 for two batches (one 10 and the other one 15). Let me convert to my preferred calculation is 8.3 per hour without deduction of gas, car deprecation. And you are telling me this is FAIR?? About the new earning structure, I really have no idea why they advertised this is better than the previous one. There are lots of factors affecting the incentive like store location, layout, difficulty of item, time of day store size, checkout type, etc. i have no understanding about why these matter that much to the whole earning structure. First of all, the store size, checkout type has really less impact on our shopping experience because once we get familiar with the store layout we basically know where to get the items our customer requested. -

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Huge cut in pay, unfair pay

Hate gig economy

I took this job to learn driving in Calgary better. I achieved that, and LOST money attempting to earn some. The zones for Instacart are too big to serve and actually make money.

Risky sign up

Seems like it could be a good idea. But I’m today’s world of hackers and scammers, you would have to be crazy to think I am going to give you a picture of my drivers license and other banking info before you even explain to me how much I could potentially make. Needless to say I didn’t finish the sign up. Glad I didn’t too, all these other reviews look pretty bad.

Fundamental Flaw in the company

You have to book off a minimum of two shifts in order to start working. You are then expected to wait in the zone until you get sent a job. If you leave the zone or if you decide to end your shift early, you get a reliability incident. They DO NOT pay you while you are waiting. So lets recap. They don't pay you, you are required to stay in a zone and wait until a job comes your way unless you want to be punished. Hmmm....how is that fair? I've stopped working for them as it is nonsense. Go work for Uber Eats or Door Dash where you can drop in and out as you please without punishment. Average Shopping trip takes about an hour and a half. You will be paid something like $15. Not worth it.

Pros

If you work in a busy area, then maybe scheduling works for you

Cons

Need to stay in your zone and wait, No pay while waiting, ending earlier and you will receive a reliability incident, Pay is not worth it for the amount of work you need to do

Flexible hours. Income not quaranteed

Mobile app usage. Need to have cell phone with large data plan and roaming. Sometimes the server connection can be troublesome. Ie. You might lose wifi connection during a job. App is inflexible regarding cancel of shifts or work schedules. They penalize for cancelling shifts and ending work early.

Pros

Flexible. Simple work. Comfortable work environment as a shopper

Cons

No guarantee of income. Shifts maybe slow due to lack of online shoppers

Instacart

The app is easy to understand install which is good. The layout over is well displayed, but the payout is terrible. This is not Ideal or promising at all. I would never recommend this company to anyone. Customer service sucks it does not get back to you with requires to meet the need of the employee. The promised hourly rate is never received upon doing the hours that is required. Do not look into wasting or investing your time into this company it’s not worth the time.

Pros

Cons

No payout & bad costumer service

Takes Advantage of It's Employees

I've worked one shift as an instacart shopper and I already hate it. I signed up for an 8-hour shift thinking I would be paid at least minimum wage for those hours. Turns out you only get paid depending on how many deliveries you do and I only did one. So I sat around for 8 hours and got paid $11.80.

Pros

Cons

Low pay

Stay Away

If you are a shopper for this company, stay away! There are a lot other mystery shopping and food delivery companies that is MUCH more pay than this. I worked for 3 months and I realized this company now has the WORST payout in the history of all the delivery company I know. Stay away, it is not worth it.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Low Pay

Good experience in Customer Service

Can pick your hours and zone that is convenient for you. Good experience for store shopping and pick of replacements item of not availableGood to improve navigation skills and app software.

Pros

Free Launchers

Cons

No benifits and hourly rate

Jobs at Instacart Shoppers

See more jobs

Not worth your time

it took forever to set up the app, get the card in the mail and have my background check go through. Just to realize they want me to deliver groceries North York ... I'm still not sure how 'getting hours' works on the app.

Fun job but painfully frustrating at times

I started out with this company as soon as they came into Canada - I was already working as a delivery contractor so this seemed like a great opportunity. Overall, the job itself is a lot of fun, since I enjoy grocery shopping, but the company and the app frustrate me beyond belief at times. For example: you need to maintain a certain amount of hours to get what the call "Early Access Hours" meaning you pick your hours for the following week (not the current upcoming) on Sunday at 9am. Great - if you have full-time availability; if you're trying to balance multiple jobs and schedule according to familial commitments, good luck. If you don't average 30 hours per week (you have to work a total of 90 hours in 3 weeks) then you cannot pick your hours until Wednesday, by which point the pickings are slim. I live in Durham and want to work in Durham (this job involves enough driving without having to commute to other zones), but lately I am stuck desperately scraping together shifts downtown and in East or North York or Markham if I am lucky. Hours DO free up over the course of the week but that involves you obsessively looking at your phone every 20 minutes. How do you expect us to work full-time hours if there ARE NONE FROM WHICH TO PICK? I think 90 hours in three weeks is unreasonable, since like I said that's full-time work. You start out with Early Access so yes you could simply maintain it if this is indeed your only job, but that involves a whole lot of gas and/or waiting doing nothing sometimes. The app - it is glitchy as all heck even though they are constantly -

Pros

freedom, pick your own schedule, fun, satisfaction of helping people, most customers are great and very appreciative

Cons

glitchy and buggy app, poor help desk, some inflexibility, not true acknowledgement for good or fast service

Overall it’s an ok job but very inconsistent fighting for hours

I love working for this company but the hours are inconsistent because the way they have it set up we have beat other drivers to the hours we want and the areas we want to work. I enjoy meeting new people every day. I also try to help to the best of my knowledge.

Pros

We’re able to set our own hours

Cons

It’s very inconsistent.

Good work for moms

I was going to rate at 5 stars, but today I had unpleasant issue that I hadn't before. Usually my phone starts to beep when you have the order, but today Instacart send notification that I am out of zone and I have to drive to working zone location so I did. It took me half an hour to drive there and guess what? I had to seat in my car and wait for order to come for several hours! So I spend all my schedule in a car with NO orders! Now question: who is going to pay for my gas and parts for my car? Plus they didn't count half an hour that I was driving!!! In general there's more issues like: - hard to find the right product, especially if it is ethnic product that you never seen before, but probably with the time you will get it. - some app issues happens from time to time. - sometimes you need to contact with help center urgently and there's no hot lines so you have to send a message and wait for couple days them to contact you back. So you going back and forth, back and forth... - you have to work on time. If you are facing with difficult client who is taking your time by texting you back and forth because they are changing their mind regarding their order you will run out of time and your rating at Instacart will be lower so next time you won't be able to get more hours and so on.

Pros

flexible hours and easy to schedule.

Cons

poor or no tips, salary wish to be higher (they pay less than minimum wage), most of the times you have to carry heavy bags, sometimes it is hard to find the customers location, some places don't have parking or paid parking, gas and parts for your car on your own expences.