Instacart Shoppers logo
Happiness score is 53 out of 100Below average

Instacart Shoppers Employee Reviews

Found 94 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,607 reviews

Underpaid

Based on my experience, for a $20 worth of order without a tip, you will pick up 20 items or more, I spent two hours to get it done. Meaning $10bucks an hour, what about my gasoline, lucky if there’s a tip then it will make it even.

Pros

Work on your own time

Cons

Big tips, max earning $200 for 10hrs

Instacart trust and safety

Theyre deactivating accounts without give shopper any truly explanation! Looks like tricks to ahoppers ! Theyre not really comunicating and sometimes helpless

Pros

Alternwtibe income

Cons

Payment starts get less when its more than 200 batches finelized

Not a Great Place to Work

Instacart doesn't care about it's workers. They try and pay you as little as possible and hope that someone will do it. They constantly change the rate at which they pay you.

Pros

Flexible Hours

Cons

Low pay

One week in, so far...

So far so good (ish). Just finished my first week working for InstaCart. Total of 14 batches over the course of 4 days. Pay worked out to just over $20/hour. However this doesn't take in to account the literal hours you spend on the app trying to get that first batch of the day. I echo most reviews...this would be a great part time gig, but far too stressful if it's your only source of income. So far after 14 batches I am still a 5 star shopper. I did receive one 3 star rating (forgiven), of course no reason provided, however I know it's because Walmart did not have any corn on the cob. It's ridiculous that we are rated based on something we literally have NO control over. In any case I'll continue on this road until I find something better.

Pros

Make your own hours, fairly easy work

Cons

Rating system is a joke

Great Side hustle

I signed up for Instacart about a year ago, at first my area was not busy at all, therefore I wasn’t making money and stopped. Since Covid everyone in my area has been doing online groceries so I started about a month ago and it’s busy all day everyday. The pay is what you want it to be, work longer, pick up batches that benefit you, amount, distance and product knowledge and location are key.

Pros

Working on your own time, A lot of customers tip well

Cons

Delivering to apartments and industrial areas

Fraud company, poor help center. Zero knowledge

I recently became a shopper with insta cart and my first order was a batch order of 3 orders. I had paid almost 600 dollars from my pocket as the google pay did not wrk. The help line told me submit the receipt for reimbursement which I did. I got paid only for one order of $224.00 but remaining 2 orders they have been constantly declining and declined with reason like unable to verify. No phone number and no live person can call u. This is horrendous and I have lost 280 dollars of my money. This is the greatest mistake of my.life. Please do not join Insta cart and never pay from ur pocket they will never give the money.

In Store Shopper

I was hired on as an in-store shopper in February before the pandemic hit, this seemed like a fantastic job for me as a full time studdnt - the company promised that you would be in full control of your schedule and you could work as much or as little as you wanted. There were big errors in the company, you were unable to go-to the washroom during your shift. Management happened remotely so most problems would have to be solved by you. And each action you did was fined. They poached the full time employee from our in store shopping team to become management, she began to breath down everyone's neck and refer to us as robot's. I was ready to look past this poor management when an email was released stating we had to give a MINIMUM of 20 hours a week availability with 12 of those hours falling in Saturday, Sunday or Monday. They told us this on August 25th , after I had selected back to back Monday classes for my school semester. When I brought this up to management they asked me to resign. Terrible company that does not respect humans lol. Don't work here

Pros

Can't think of one.

Cons

You are apart of an algorithm

Ok money if you work really long days

I really liked instacart at first but as I worked longer and longer the issues with this company and app started to really get to me. First of all, the rating system for work. Its all good until some random gives you a 1 star for no reason and no explanation then you spend hours on the app trying to not get dropped by support. Everyday they tell you something different and every support specialist handles you differently and does more or less depending on who you get. They told us months ago customers could not leave below 5 stars without an explanation but here we are months later and still this has not happened.

Pros

Make Money, Flexible

Cons

Stress, No support, High mileage on your vehicle, very monotonous, company only cares about money so your just a number

Very very Bad experience

It's very bad experience they dont have their staff trained they dont know what's happening in their company.pay is very less .they even dont pay minimum wages.They only make their own profits not caring for people .They have their computers glitch and they are least bothered to fix it .some times they have account problems payment is not going through shoppers waste their time fwaiting for hours

Pros

All pros and cond

Cons

Filled with negative things

Good for extra income

Batches are not well compensated for but if you are looking to get out of the house it can be a fun experience. Knowing you are helping people with challenges that prevent them from going to a store to shop for themselves is rewarding so tgat is how you should look at it during COVID19

Pros

Work a few hours earn some money, can opt for instant payout or weekly pay

Cons

Not well paid for some of the deliveries. Under minimum wage, not sure how that is legal

Jobs at Instacart Shoppers

See more jobs

Extremely low. Waste of time

I compliant to Instacart management about the extremely low pay and low rewards for using my car. Instacart ignored the issues of their shoppers and instead constantly advertise for more drivers. Instacart only care about making money using drivers for their business instead of treating shoppers with respect.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Extremely low pay. Waste of gas and time

Fun and easy job

All it requires is a car and a grocery list, it is so simple and you can make a ton of money from it and meet some nice regular customers too. The pay is insane if you drive a gas efficient car, I do not but I can still make tons.

Pros

Your own boss, high pay, nice customers

Cons

Gas

Gig economy at it's finest

While I definitely enjoyed doing Instacart in the few months I was between jobs, the pay can be incredibly low most of the time (below minimum wage + expenses of driving insane distances) and tips vary wildly. You get to pick your own hours or work on-demand, and the more active/higher rated you are, the earlier you get allowed into the schedule pick. Getting hours can be very competitive in some areas, so you might need to watch the schedule page like a hawk. I really did NOT like their penalty system...I was penalized when my car broke down once, even though I called them to explain there was nothing I could do and could not reasonably continue my shift. You could accumulate penalties for refusing the low pay/high distance batches or impossible orders (10 huge cases of pop/waterbottles don't fit in the average car), and eventually get prevented from picking hours. The bright side was that customers are generally super grateful and happy to have your help, lots of elderly customers and new moms, can be super rewarding that way.

Pros

Set your own schedule, can earn bonus pay

Cons

Low pay, highly competitive, gig economy

They dont care about shoppers

People are using bots to auto accept batches. I have comlained many time but Instacart doesn’t care. All they care is about making money and filling their own pockets. I wake up at 6 and sit with the phone in one hand till 6 in the evening so i can get a batch. All i get is left over when the cheaters are tired. Let me mention that I am one of the top rated shoppers in my region. People are also using multiple accounts but the Instacart doesn’t care about its own policies

Pros

None until they start caring about us

Cons

Cheating shoppers.

This is "gig" you might want to pass on

I did register as a shopper, hoping to earn a few extra dollars. But so far it has been disappointing. Rate of pay is quite low - 2 hrs work earning less than $30. While the job itself is easy it seems like a lot of hassle for the money.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

low pay with little support

Good Pt work

Good Pt work. Good hrs. Must have fuel efficient car. Like to shop. Customers are friendly. Must be able to pick out good stock and able to weight out produce and deli meats.

Instacart shopper

I started working with instacart as of Feb 2020 as a store shopper and delivery. Their pay structure is not transparent and they started to pay less for big batches. You would see $7 payout for 30 items and you still have to wait for 30mins in the cold weather at the store lineup. They didn’t give the shoppers who are the front line of the business during the covid-19 better pay instead they reduce the pay and they didn’t send out any protective equipment like masks and gloves.

Pros

Make your own hours but there are no batches because of the surplus of shoppers

Cons

Pay is terrible

fast going job

Get to know about different products out there in stores and makes it easy to find products after a week. people who want to start store jobs must try this first they would get to know more about store

Generally ok, just the customer's sometimes would expect one to read their minds, and then rate you based your ability to read their minds.

I recommend instacart as a side job. My major issue is just with SOME customers. sometimes, though rarely a customer Mark's an item as " missing,  when they haven't been charged for an item,  someone says I prefer this item as a replacement,  you get it and customer tags it as " Wrong". I dont think the issues are addressed, cause you send your report on the item with no response.  When issues have been sorted it should be taken off ones profile. By the way just so you know, you are not guaranteed batches.  It's more like who picks it first.

They don’t guarantee tip pay when system is down

Okay when the system is down they tell you that they will not pay the tip since the tip was unassigned. Should the shopper struggle because hoping to be tipped and not be paid? Can’t instacart correct this than them telling you sorry we can’t pay the full amount? Please don’t rob the struggling shopper or don’t post the tip if it’s not a guarantee.

only good for side income!

no body cares if you do good or bad, there is no priority for experience shopper. they will keep introducing new shoppers in your area until to the point of saturation where they dont have to give you extra incentive to work both in value per batch or number of order to choose from. there is always bottom feeders taking order with ZERO tips and ZERO boost... the more shoppers the less they pay; the more delivery per batch the less they pay. the shopper's app are full of bugs. server error 500 / 502 are not uncommon, it might last for mins or hours while you are working. address might not be accurate so as pay. some support staff are great but most dont care... just too much. let me know if you disagree... ohhh....for 17-22 per hour as a contractor??? no other benefit, use your own car, fuel, no insurance for you nor your vehicle equals to below minimum wage...but bottom feeders will always do it for 8-14 per hour or less...

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Instacart Shoppers. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8