Instacart Shoppers

Clear
2.3Pay & benefits

Found 26 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,830 reviews

Wouldn't reccomend

At Instacart you are a "independant contractor", meaning everything you make isn't taxed yet and so if you take that in account plus gas you generally end up making less than minimum wage depending on the day. It also puts a lot more wear & tear on your car. On the bright side, as a contractor you are your own boss; you can (in theory) work whenever you want, for however long you want. However, that must be taken with a grain of salt because at times there will be no jobs in your area depending on your location. You can also see what each job pays, how many items it will be and how long it should take before you accept them so you can wait for the "good" ones if you want to. Overall I wouldn't reccomend attempting to do this as a full time job to support a family or anyhthing, as most of the time the pay that is shown to you is nearly halfed by taxes and gas (at least in my experience). I would recommend it to someone who a) has a very reliable car that will not be expensive to service (i.e. older model civics or corollas), and b) already has a full-time job, or doesn't need to independently support a household.

Pros

You get to work whenever you want, in a refrigerated store then you can drive your car and listen to music, you can earn credits towards your own deliveries

Cons

Long hours for good pay

Working for less than minimum wage

Pay structure used to be great. Now the pay is less thank minimum wage and they change it without notice. You are Using your own vehicle and the driving distances with the double and triple orders are ridiculous. Lots of wear and tear on your vehicle. I used to love working as an Independent contractor because of the flexibility. Now you are heavily dependent on the generosity from customers tips to earn anything decent. No longer sustainable as a full time gig. Eg. Instacart pays $10 to drive to the store, shop for 50+ items and then deliver to the customer. This can take 1.5 hours depending on the customers location and your proximity to the store. They no longer pay for kilometres. The new CEO is pushing this company into the ground and it’s being felt by both shoppers and customers alike. This job is for the desperate and they know that and fully take advantage.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Long hours for less than min wage

Time management is crucial. Being well oriented is important

Shopping became serious while serving the customer. The product availability is an obstacles to finish on time grabbing the lists though in some stores it is easy to visualize the organization.

Pros

Accepting your own batches at your ease with no supervision.

Cons

Low compensation for full shoppers.

This company can't last

There is no way a company run like this can survive. The only people making money are the stores and the CEO of Instacart. It's one of the worst things I've ever done in life.

Pros

Cons

everything

On your own time but underpaid

Instacart started decent. It's now turned into an underpaid, overworked gig. You are at the mercy of customers mood. If you are rated anything lower then 5 stars you aren't able to see as much work and in turn don't make as much money. The money you make does not balance out between wear and tear, gas or your time, plus having to pay your own taxes at the end of the year. The support staff are completely unaware of anything going on and spend alot of time copy and pasting their responses. You are better off finding a facebook group with other shoppers if you need actual help. You get the hit if the store is out of stock of product (between tip reductions and customer complaints). Their app updates many times do not help the app and instead end up lagging or completely crashing their own service. Work skip the dishes instead. Its less work and in the end the pay comes out higher.

Pros

You make your own schedule

Cons

Long hours, low pay, miserable customers, unhelpful support staff

Not a full time job to live on

I have only worked with Instacart for a while, if you think this is a full time job you can live off you are wrong. This is something to get as a 2nd job the pros is you can work when you want and get off when you want. The cons are if you do not know the shops/products the customer wants it can be time consuming. All in all i have the Shopper app running while doing Doordash so if it's slow on Doordash i grab an Instacart shop.

Pros

work when you want

Cons

not enough to live off

A questionable company with poor customer and contractor support

Do not join this slowly eroding work factory that pays you for 1/2 your actual mileage, provides very elementary support and sees customer service as something to be managed, rather than done well. While people literally risk their lives providing this service, Instacart has flooded larger cities with shoppers who now battle it out for diminishing orders. Their shopper rating algorithm is flawed in that only one or two reviews of less than perfect can cost a shopper thousands of dollars in lost orders. Undependable.

Pros

You are on your own schedule

Cons

Long hours and poor overall compensation.

Worst place to work

Took them a month to decide. Worst company to work for. Would never recommend to anyone. JUST STAY AWAY from this company. They are scammers from another part of the world.

Pros

Cons

Lots

Excellent for those who prefer to work alone, and when they want!

Excellent place to work for people who: like to work alone, prefer not to deal with lots of customers, like to drive/deliver and like to shop! I suggest this job to anyone I know who needs a little (or a lot depending on how much you work) extra cash! It's amazing for an extra job on the side to pick up a few orders, or work 20 hours a week like me and rely on it for my income! I love doing it!

Pros

Freelance, customers appreciate your work, not working with lots of people in the public, feels good to help those who cannot get their own groceries, like shopping but you get paid for it!, you can wear whatever you'd like and even listen to music, after a while you become familiar with the store workers and they will become more friendly with you, excellent employee services/chat help - they basically have a solution to every problem

Cons

Hard to get batches over certain amounts because some workers have "batch stealing bots", some days are not as busy so less money can be made, can get lonely with no coworkers!

fast going job

Get to know about different products out there in stores and makes it easy to find products after a week. people who want to start store jobs must try this first they would get to know more about store

Jobs at Instacart Shoppers

See more jobs

Good When You Can Get Enough Orders

I've worked instacart full time for about 3 months now and I've decided to move on simply due to unreliability of hours. $60 for an hour's work is nice but It's hard to guarantee enough hours to live. Great money as a side gig or for a student if you can swing the good orders. I'll definitely continue working orders occasionally when I get another full time gig.

Pros

Freedom to work when you please

Cons

Inconsistent Frequency of Hours

you pay more for gas

They don't pay for travel or insurance. you wait for jobs and they aren't guaranteed work. customer service is hard to work along side with and often their application would crash. timing is important but they don't count for real world timing of what it is like to shop in a busy store.

Great hours

Its great to be able to chose shifts and work the exact amount of hour I can spare. It taught me great time management skills as i had to complete my deliveries in a specified time span.

It's what you make of it.

Uber Eats meets click and collect. Great part time job for me, enjoy the flexibility, independence and constant feedback of the App. Paid by the order rather than hour means income is variable.

Good luck getting any hours

I tried it. Could never get any hours. The hours from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. were always taken. There were always 4 - 12 people waitlisted for the hours. With that many people ahead of you you can't get anything. Tried several times to get a contact in Ottawa to actually talk to someone. Was never able to. They deleted me because I wasn't doing anything. But there was never anything available to fit my schedule.

Pros

Can fit job to your own schedule

Cons

Couldn't get hours

Not Reliable

My sincere advise, please don’t join to the shopper. Helpless staff. While you start your shift, they ask for cancel your shift because of slow. In fact it always slow. ***NOT RECOMMENDED***

Instacart canada

Instacart ig great but the driving is too long and customers are very demanding.i literally start work after school 4-11 pm hours are flexible. and on the weekend I work all day

Pros

no lunches

Cons

long hour

Flexible and great pay!

I have been an Instacart Shopper for about 5 months. In that time I have come to enjoy the very flexible hours (pick when you want to work), the great pay ($25-35 an hour on a slow day and $45-55 an hour on a busy day). I love being my own boss. Deciding what hours I want to do and how busy I want to be. I have kids and being able to work around them and provide for them is great. Instacart has been a fantastic choice for me (yes I was once as sceptical as you are now). Take a chance what do you have to loss. http://inst.cr/t/z5Lqen5bB

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Slow days

slow moving for a delivery company

Takes forever to get on board to make less than minimum . waste of time, hard to deal with company, no one seems to know what they are doing they move slower than snails

Pros

Cons

everything about them is confusing, no contact person, takes for ever to board

Official response from Instacart Shoppers

21 March 2019
Sorry to hear you haven't had a great experience. If you're experiencing any issues with onboarding or shopping we're here to help. Please email us at shoppers@instacart.com. We've also introduced in-app support!

Hate gig economy

I took this job to learn driving in Calgary better. I achieved that, and LOST money attempting to earn some. The zones for Instacart are too big to serve and actually make money.

Risky sign up

Seems like it could be a good idea. But I’m today’s world of hackers and scammers, you would have to be crazy to think I am going to give you a picture of my drivers license and other banking info before you even explain to me how much I could potentially make. Needless to say I didn’t finish the sign up. Glad I didn’t too, all these other reviews look pretty bad.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Instacart Shoppers. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8