Instacart Shoppers
Happiness score is 54 out of 100

Instacart Shoppers Employee Reviews for Store Shopper

Found 59 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,817 reviews

Wouldn't reccomend

At Instacart you are a "independant contractor", meaning everything you make isn't taxed yet and so if you take that in account plus gas you generally end up making less than minimum wage depending on the day. It also puts a lot more wear & tear on your car. On the bright side, as a contractor you are your own boss; you can (in theory) work whenever you want, for however long you want. However, that must be taken with a grain of salt because at times there will be no jobs in your area depending on your location. You can also see what each job pays, how many items it will be and how long it should take before you accept them so you can wait for the "good" ones if you want to. Overall I wouldn't reccomend attempting to do this as a full time job to support a family or anyhthing, as most of the time the pay that is shown to you is nearly halfed by taxes and gas (at least in my experience). I would recommend it to someone who a) has a very reliable car that will not be expensive to service (i.e. older model civics or corollas), and b) already has a full-time job, or doesn't need to independently support a household.

Pros

You get to work whenever you want, in a refrigerated store then you can drive your car and listen to music, you can earn credits towards your own deliveries

Cons

Long hours for good pay

Not Reliable

My sincere advise, please don’t join to the shopper. Helpless staff. While you start your shift, they ask for cancel your shift because of slow. In fact it always slow. ***NOT RECOMMENDED***

Instacart canada

Instacart ig great but the driving is too long and customers are very demanding.i literally start work after school 4-11 pm hours are flexible. and on the weekend I work all day

Pros

no lunches

Cons

long hour

dont do it!

many times i did shifts where there was not even one order. very wasteful of time. would not recommend as a job as it actually lost me money in driving and waiting for an order

Cons

no customers

15 May 2019
Hope you'll give shopping another try. You can actually be anywhere within your zone to start your shift, so you don't need to head to any store before you receive a batch!

Flexible and great pay!

I have been an Instacart Shopper for about 5 months. In that time I have come to enjoy the very flexible hours (pick when you want to work), the great pay ($25-35 an hour on a slow day and $45-55 an hour on a busy day). I love being my own boss. Deciding what hours I want to do and how busy I want to be. I have kids and being able to work around them and provide for them is great. Instacart has been a fantastic choice for me (yes I was once as sceptical as you are now). Take a chance what do you have to loss. http://inst.cr/t/z5Lqen5bB

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Slow days

Cool app gives customers time back

It's nice to help families with their groceries and meet a lot of the people that you're helping in the community, including families and the elderly.

Pros

Helping community, independence, flexibility

Cons

Limited benefits

Silly Pay

Extremely low pay. I don't expect to make as much as a trades person but I should be making more than min wage ...no? Stick around the zone and wait 3 hours to get some fat basement dweller to ask for no name brand processed foods and give you a poor tip. Avoid it unless you like burning you gas to make $20/day if that much

Pros

No boss

Cons

Everything else

Awful Experience

A typical day at work you select your hours in days that you are available then you have 6 hours to cancel your hours otherwise you get reliability incident which damage your reputation

Pros

nothing good about this company

Cons

Longer application process, unfair pay

21 March 2019
We're starting to get very busy in Regina. If your experience was a bit slow around launch then feel free to schedule some hours and see what's changed!

Unfortunately shoppers won’t last longer if this new payment continues to be in place

Worse than worst experience. The new payment system is awful and unfair. The refferal claims huge amount and end of the day you get get the amount that doesn’t even worth truffles box. This ain’t worth reffering. Loads other apps are much better try ‘em. I quit and spread the word for others betterment too. You can earn way better on uber, uber eats, lyft etc..

Pros

Lamentably None

Cons

Everything...

The old structure to pay was way better, the structure is awful, you don’t make money, Instacart offers very flexible hours but the pay is not good. Aalso the zones are not clear . For Example: I’m zone to work in Brampton Ontario and the only Wal-mart is in Mississauga and the delivery is back in Brampton for a $10.00 batch. Over a half of hour drive.

Pros

Good work hours

Jobs at Instacart Shoppers

Store Shopper positions
See more jobs

Great pay and fun job

Started as a shopper after seeing the posting on indeed. Found the payments to be very good for the amount of time and effort involved. Some customers tip very well, which makes a big difference. And it gets me out of my car and on my feet.

Pros

Active, Fun, Flexible

Cons

Use your own car and phhone

21 March 2019
Great to hear you're enjoying the experience, and getting your steps in along the way!

New warning structure is absolutely a nightmare for shoppers

First Day of Experience on New Earning Structure (Absolutely Nightmare) I have to say this is absolutely nightmare for us on this new earning structure. This is not a incentive program but a absolutely driving-shopper-away program. Before I explain why this doesn’t make sense to me, let me give you some figures which also a calculation that matter to me or to most of shoppers the most. After a year working with Instacart, i have slowly built up experience and familiarity in the whole system and with all superstores in my area. My average in my area is around 70 sec per item and this has been contributing to my earning a lot before they changed the whole structure. and i could earn at least 25 per hour according to my last 4 weeks report. I had just finished my first shift of 3 hours since the new structure imposed, my earning was 25 for two batches (one 10 and the other one 15). Let me convert to my preferred calculation is 8.3 per hour without deduction of gas, car deprecation. And you are telling me this is FAIR?? About the new earning structure, I really have no idea why they advertised this is better than the previous one. There are lots of factors affecting the incentive like store location, layout, difficulty of item, time of day store size, checkout type, etc. i have no understanding about why these matter that much to the whole earning structure. First of all, the store size, checkout type has really less impact on our shopping experience because once we get familiar with the store layout we basically know where to get the items our customer requested. -

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Huge cut in pay, unfair pay

Fundamental Flaw in the company

You have to book off a minimum of two shifts in order to start working. You are then expected to wait in the zone until you get sent a job. If you leave the zone or if you decide to end your shift early, you get a reliability incident. They DO NOT pay you while you are waiting. So lets recap. They don't pay you, you are required to stay in a zone and wait until a job comes your way unless you want to be punished. Hmmm....how is that fair? I've stopped working for them as it is nonsense. Go work for Uber Eats or Door Dash where you can drop in and out as you please without punishment. Average Shopping trip takes about an hour and a half. You will be paid something like $15. Not worth it.

Pros

If you work in a busy area, then maybe scheduling works for you

Cons

Need to stay in your zone and wait, No pay while waiting, ending earlier and you will receive a reliability incident, Pay is not worth it for the amount of work you need to do

Instacart

The app is easy to understand install which is good. The layout over is well displayed, but the payout is terrible. This is not Ideal or promising at all. I would never recommend this company to anyone. Customer service sucks it does not get back to you with requires to meet the need of the employee. The promised hourly rate is never received upon doing the hours that is required. Do not look into wasting or investing your time into this company it’s not worth the time.

Pros

Cons

No payout & bad costumer service

Takes Advantage of It's Employees

I've worked one shift as an instacart shopper and I already hate it. I signed up for an 8-hour shift thinking I would be paid at least minimum wage for those hours. Turns out you only get paid depending on how many deliveries you do and I only did one. So I sat around for 8 hours and got paid $11.80.

Pros

Cons

Low pay

Stay Away

If you are a shopper for this company, stay away! There are a lot other mystery shopping and food delivery companies that is MUCH more pay than this. I worked for 3 months and I realized this company now has the WORST payout in the history of all the delivery company I know. Stay away, it is not worth it.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Low Pay

Not worth your time

it took forever to set up the app, get the card in the mail and have my background check go through. Just to realize they want me to deliver groceries North York ... I'm still not sure how 'getting hours' works on the app.

Fun job but painfully frustrating at times

I started out with this company as soon as they came into Canada - I was already working as a delivery contractor so this seemed like a great opportunity. Overall, the job itself is a lot of fun, since I enjoy grocery shopping, but the company and the app frustrate me beyond belief at times. For example: you need to maintain a certain amount of hours to get what the call "Early Access Hours" meaning you pick your hours for the following week (not the current upcoming) on Sunday at 9am. Great - if you have full-time availability; if you're trying to balance multiple jobs and schedule according to familial commitments, good luck. If you don't average 30 hours per week (you have to work a total of 90 hours in 3 weeks) then you cannot pick your hours until Wednesday, by which point the pickings are slim. I live in Durham and want to work in Durham (this job involves enough driving without having to commute to other zones), but lately I am stuck desperately scraping together shifts downtown and in East or North York or Markham if I am lucky. Hours DO free up over the course of the week but that involves you obsessively looking at your phone every 20 minutes. How do you expect us to work full-time hours if there ARE NONE FROM WHICH TO PICK? I think 90 hours in three weeks is unreasonable, since like I said that's full-time work. You start out with Early Access so yes you could simply maintain it if this is indeed your only job, but that involves a whole lot of gas and/or waiting doing nothing sometimes. The app - it is glitchy as all heck even though they are constantly -

Pros

freedom, pick your own schedule, fun, satisfaction of helping people, most customers are great and very appreciative

Cons

glitchy and buggy app, poor help desk, some inflexibility, not true acknowledgement for good or fast service

Good work for moms

I was going to rate at 5 stars, but today I had unpleasant issue that I hadn't before. Usually my phone starts to beep when you have the order, but today Instacart send notification that I am out of zone and I have to drive to working zone location so I did. It took me half an hour to drive there and guess what? I had to seat in my car and wait for order to come for several hours! So I spend all my schedule in a car with NO orders! Now question: who is going to pay for my gas and parts for my car? Plus they didn't count half an hour that I was driving!!! In general there's more issues like: - hard to find the right product, especially if it is ethnic product that you never seen before, but probably with the time you will get it. - some app issues happens from time to time. - sometimes you need to contact with help center urgently and there's no hot lines so you have to send a message and wait for couple days them to contact you back. So you going back and forth, back and forth... - you have to work on time. If you are facing with difficult client who is taking your time by texting you back and forth because they are changing their mind regarding their order you will run out of time and your rating at Instacart will be lower so next time you won't be able to get more hours and so on.

Pros

flexible hours and easy to schedule.

Cons

poor or no tips, salary wish to be higher (they pay less than minimum wage), most of the times you have to carry heavy bags, sometimes it is hard to find the customers location, some places don't have parking or paid parking, gas and parts for your car on your own expences.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Instacart Shoppers. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8