Instacart Shoppers

Instacart Shoppers Employee Reviews for Store Shopper

Found 59 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,814 reviews

Wouldn't reccomend

At Instacart you are a "independant contractor", meaning everything you make isn't taxed yet and so if you take that in account plus gas you generally end up making less than minimum wage depending on the day. It also puts a lot more wear & tear on your car. On the bright side, as a contractor you are your own boss; you can (in theory) work whenever you want, for however long you want. However, that must be taken with a grain of salt because at times there will be no jobs in your area depending on your location. You can also see what each job pays, how many items it will be and how long it should take before you accept them so you can wait for the "good" ones if you want to. Overall I wouldn't reccomend attempting to do this as a full time job to support a family or anyhthing, as most of the time the pay that is shown to you is nearly halfed by taxes and gas (at least in my experience). I would recommend it to someone who a) has a very reliable car that will not be expensive to service (i.e. older model civics or corollas), and b) already has a full-time job, or doesn't need to independently support a household.

Pros

You get to work whenever you want, in a refrigerated store then you can drive your car and listen to music, you can earn credits towards your own deliveries

Cons

Long hours for good pay

This is "gig" you might want to pass on

I did register as a shopper, hoping to earn a few extra dollars. But so far it has been disappointing. Rate of pay is quite low - 2 hrs work earning less than $30. While the job itself is easy it seems like a lot of hassle for the money.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

low pay with little support

Good Pt work

Good Pt work. Good hrs. Must have fuel efficient car. Like to shop. Customers are friendly. Must be able to pick out good stock and able to weight out produce and deli meats.

Instacart shopper

I started working with instacart as of Feb 2020 as a store shopper and delivery. Their pay structure is not transparent and they started to pay less for big batches. You would see $7 payout for 30 items and you still have to wait for 30mins in the cold weather at the store lineup. They didn’t give the shoppers who are the front line of the business during the covid-19 better pay instead they reduce the pay and they didn’t send out any protective equipment like masks and gloves.

Pros

Make your own hours but there are no batches because of the surplus of shoppers

Cons

Pay is terrible

Generally ok, just the customer's sometimes would expect one to read their minds, and then rate you based your ability to read their minds.

I recommend instacart as a side job. My major issue is just with SOME customers. sometimes, though rarely a customer Mark's an item as " missing,  when they haven't been charged for an item,  someone says I prefer this item as a replacement,  you get it and customer tags it as " Wrong". I dont think the issues are addressed, cause you send your report on the item with no response.  When issues have been sorted it should be taken off ones profile. By the way just so you know, you are not guaranteed batches.  It's more like who picks it first.

They don’t guarantee tip pay when system is down

Okay when the system is down they tell you that they will not pay the tip since the tip was unassigned. Should the shopper struggle because hoping to be tipped and not be paid? Can’t instacart correct this than them telling you sorry we can’t pay the full amount? Please don’t rob the struggling shopper or don’t post the tip if it’s not a guarantee.

Make less than the legal minimum wage

Worked for 3 hours made $25 no including gas and expenses and taxes. It shouldn’t even be legal. Pay is well below the minimum wage that’s including tips. Without tips it would be even worse. It should be illegal what they’re getting away with. Not paying there employees fair.

Terrible work scheduling

Just a few weeks ago they changed the way the program worked. Prior to the change they would send out shift hours and you would chose which worked for you and as you completed your shifts you would get more seniority. Now the shifts have changed and instead of it being made by specific shifts, they randomly send you orders and if you don't accept them then you are put on like a "black list" and you never have the chance to complete any orders, unless every single person ahead of you says no to the order (which can be dozens) and even so its sent out randomly. I find this ridiculous because this is suppose to be a chance at earning some additional money not a steady job and if once you deny an order they put you on this black list then you never have the chance of earring that additional cash. They should simply hire people for permanent positions or release the order for absolutely everyone in the area and whoever is the first to answer gets the order.

Picking your own hours is great

Time frames are sometimes not long enough to complete the order, driving distances are sometimes to far for too little money. I wish I could respond to some of the customer complaints because some of them bold face lie.

Great for when you need cash fast

I use Instacart to supplement my family's income. Work isn't always guaranteed. There are slow times. Pay isn't great, it ranges from $7 to up to $75 per job, but the larger paying jobs are rare. If you're able to commit and like to shop and drive you could make a decent amount of money. Not great if you don't have a fuel efficient vehicle. You'd end up spending more on gas than you're earning.

Jobs at Instacart Shoppers

Store Shopper positions
See more jobs

It's What You Make of It

I didn't expect this to be a high paying job so I wasn't disappointed. However, it can be a decently paying job if you if you work fast and manage yourself in an efficient matter. I am able to make above minimum wage. I would say $16-$18 an hour. People will complain that there are no hours, but if you pick up hours at the right time (you will have to research the best time) then hours are not an issue. Overall a decent job.

Very fast paced, have to be fast in every aspect for this job

Typical day at work is hectic, if you want to earn good. A good customer service is needed. Management is ok to work with. Hardest is to get work done from customer care person at a fast pace. They are really slow. you can earn as much as you want if yo are working in a good area.

Just trouble

They under pay per job. They treat employees like garbage. They only good thing is your own boss but it’s not worth working for them. The most a week I made it’s barely $300.00 and that’s beyond 40 hours a week

Instacart works hard to line CEO pockets on backs of Shoppers

Since starting with Instacart they have made multiple changes to Shoppers earnings making it so we barely make enough to survive while they make big bucks including taking away bonuses, lowering per order payments and lowering the minimum tip amount customers are to pay as well as allowing customers to cancel tips once orders are shopped and delivered regardless of great quality of service

Extremely disappointed

Signed up for Instacart last week and I still haven't had one single job. There seems to be some sort of trick to getting hours. Not able to contact anyone either. The app won't let you speak with a live company rep. I thought this would be a fun part time job. But...there seems to be something less than genuine going on with the hours. Personally, I do not want to scratch and claw with countless others for a few measly jobs- if they didn't have work in my area- why didn't they say so? Be honest! Be genuine! Or may the wrath of the Better Business Bureau and the Labor Board come down upon you!

Don't bother!

They are oversaturating the market with drivers when there are no customers. Unless you live in downtown Toronto, it isn't worth it. Durham Region has no available jobs as I am waitlisted at number 20 all the time. You need to have enough drivers, but not to have 20 of us sitting around doing nothing!

Pros

Seemed like a good idea at the time

Cons

No hours!

A Great Side-Gig

I have a full time job and instacart after work and on weekends. If you don't mind doing people's groceries a good job. I accept all orders and make between $16-22 per hour before taxes and vehicle maintenance. If you are into stats based games you may enjoy the experience. You work on a timer, and orders have to get done before the expiry time. Think about it like timed quests for money. Your performance is rated through a number or metrics and the app gives you feedback. This is great if you are doing well, but pretty disheartening when you aren't. The whole system is automated so don't be surprised to find a robot is writing you up for Customers can be a bit picky, and sometimes it gets stressful when there's some item you haven't heard of and the clock is running out, but overall not the scam everyone seems to be saying.

Pros

Easy to use app, good process flow.

Cons

Vehicle maintenance cut into profits

Instacart is the worst Scam

Instacart will force you to work for less than minimum wage. They have terrible CS and the force CS agents to lie. You will earn less money and lose money while working with this company. Stay away!

Pros

You get hired

Cons

You get sucked in

Awful

Very awful job. No hours. App is ok. Customer service is ok. They 'help' you by being so nice on the phone but they never really helped. I asked for a new card, the person i was talking to said ok they will send one asap. Then weeks after I called again because I never got a new card. They said nobody ordered one for me. LIke wow.. Also the reason why I asked for a new card is because, when I was about to pay at the counter, my card got declined because apparently the card that I have is for someone else's card. ?? I was mad. I was on the phone for 45 mins. No shifts as well. Once they offered me one shift on a Saturday and it was like 1 hour away from me. So i didn't take it. Then they never gave me shifts anymore even though I am always picking up hours.

Pros

nothing really

Cons

everything too bad

A really easy job to make good money

This gig is defenately my preference vs sitting in my car all day doing uber. With instacart you get to do some customer service work and be more active, and the pay is pretty good (about 600 per week) if you put in a decent but not overly large amount of time. The app is really good and makes shopping like a game. And there are lots of other shoppers who you can learn from.

Pros

fun, goood work

Cons

use your own gas and data plan

Good luck getting any hours

I tried it. Could never get any hours. The hours from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. were always taken. There were always 4 - 12 people waitlisted for the hours. With that many people ahead of you you can't get anything. Tried several times to get a contact in Ottawa to actually talk to someone. Was never able to. They deleted me because I wasn't doing anything. But there was never anything available to fit my schedule.

Pros

Can fit job to your own schedule

Cons

Couldn't get hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Instacart Shoppers. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8

2.1Job security/advancement

Compare Instacart Shoppers with

• Instacart Shoppers
  • Store Shopper
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?