Instacart Shoppers logo
Instacart Shoppers

Instacart Shoppers Employee Reviews for Store Shopper

Found 55 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,600 reviews

Underpaid

Based on my experience, for a $20 worth of order without a tip, you will pick up 20 items or more, I spent two hours to get it done. Meaning $10bucks an hour, what about my gasoline, lucky if there’s a tip then it will make it even.

Pros

Work on your own time

Cons

Big tips, max earning $200 for 10hrs

Time management is crucial. Being well oriented is important

Shopping became serious while serving the customer. The product availability is an obstacles to finish on time grabbing the lists though in some stores it is easy to visualize the organization.

Pros

Accepting your own batches at your ease with no supervision.

Cons

Low compensation for full shoppers.

This company can't last

There is no way a company run like this can survive. The only people making money are the stores and the CEO of Instacart. It's one of the worst things I've ever done in life.

Pros

Cons

everything

No support for shoppers

There is no phone support for shoppers.... you have to use the online text chat which takes forever and in most cases you get " oh we cant help you with that!~ For a company that builds its fortunes on the backs of shopppers there should be some actual safe phone support!

Not a full time job to live on

I have only worked with Instacart for a while, if you think this is a full time job you can live off you are wrong. This is something to get as a 2nd job the pros is you can work when you want and get off when you want. The cons are if you do not know the shops/products the customer wants it can be time consuming. All in all i have the Shopper app running while doing Doordash so if it's slow on Doordash i grab an Instacart shop.

Pros

work when you want

Cons

not enough to live off

An addiction, not a job

Constantly stressing about ratings. Unfair access to loads are based on the rating system. You have to be glued to your phone for hours to catch a good order. Once you do start getting good orders, you get addicted and it's very hard to stop for the day. The company does not care about its workers at all. We are an expendable commodity to them, and any feedback we give is ignored at best. Instacart only cares about profits.Do not fall into this trap unless you are truly desperate for income.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Low pay, addictive work, metrics reduce income, apathetic corporation

Poor Communication

They never care what you think. The only thing they care is setting barriers for you! You cannot get any help from the service support. They didn’t nothing but waste your time.

Pros

Earn some money

Cons

A questionable company with poor customer and contractor support

Do not join this slowly eroding work factory that pays you for 1/2 your actual mileage, provides very elementary support and sees customer service as something to be managed, rather than done well. While people literally risk their lives providing this service, Instacart has flooded larger cities with shoppers who now battle it out for diminishing orders. Their shopper rating algorithm is flawed in that only one or two reviews of less than perfect can cost a shopper thousands of dollars in lost orders. Undependable.

Pros

You are on your own schedule

Cons

Long hours and poor overall compensation.

Nightmare

People lie to get free groceries and Instacart punishes for it, allowing low ratings that cut your income. They don’t respect shoppers, or value your work.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Everything. Hard work. Low payment. Your work won’t be value by the company.

Doing Instacart for almost 3 yrs.

Well since Instacart has been in Canada for almost 3 years it has gone downhill in the way they pay the independent contractor. I am not even able to get any decent orders anymore and yet I should be seniority as opposed to new people just signing on to do the work. They’ve added more stores but took away the quality bonus. I am now having to go out and apply for other jobs to make the income that I used to make with Instacart. Very very sad as I loved doing the job.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Low pay on orders or no orders when star rating is low

Jobs at Instacart Shoppers

Store Shopper positions
See more jobs

One week in, so far...

So far so good (ish). Just finished my first week working for InstaCart. Total of 14 batches over the course of 4 days. Pay worked out to just over $20/hour. However this doesn't take in to account the literal hours you spend on the app trying to get that first batch of the day. I echo most reviews...this would be a great part time gig, but far too stressful if it's your only source of income. So far after 14 batches I am still a 5 star shopper. I did receive one 3 star rating (forgiven), of course no reason provided, however I know it's because Walmart did not have any corn on the cob. It's ridiculous that we are rated based on something we literally have NO control over. In any case I'll continue on this road until I find something better.

Pros

Make your own hours, fairly easy work

Cons

Rating system is a joke

Great Side hustle

I signed up for Instacart about a year ago, at first my area was not busy at all, therefore I wasn’t making money and stopped. Since Covid everyone in my area has been doing online groceries so I started about a month ago and it’s busy all day everyday. The pay is what you want it to be, work longer, pick up batches that benefit you, amount, distance and product knowledge and location are key.

Pros

Working on your own time, A lot of customers tip well

Cons

Delivering to apartments and industrial areas

Fraud company, poor help center. Zero knowledge

I recently became a shopper with insta cart and my first order was a batch order of 3 orders. I had paid almost 600 dollars from my pocket as the google pay did not wrk. The help line told me submit the receipt for reimbursement which I did. I got paid only for one order of $224.00 but remaining 2 orders they have been constantly declining and declined with reason like unable to verify. No phone number and no live person can call u. This is horrendous and I have lost 280 dollars of my money. This is the greatest mistake of my.life. Please do not join Insta cart and never pay from ur pocket they will never give the money.

In Store Shopper

I was hired on as an in-store shopper in February before the pandemic hit, this seemed like a fantastic job for me as a full time studdnt - the company promised that you would be in full control of your schedule and you could work as much or as little as you wanted. There were big errors in the company, you were unable to go-to the washroom during your shift. Management happened remotely so most problems would have to be solved by you. And each action you did was fined. They poached the full time employee from our in store shopping team to become management, she began to breath down everyone's neck and refer to us as robot's. I was ready to look past this poor management when an email was released stating we had to give a MINIMUM of 20 hours a week availability with 12 of those hours falling in Saturday, Sunday or Monday. They told us this on August 25th , after I had selected back to back Monday classes for my school semester. When I brought this up to management they asked me to resign. Terrible company that does not respect humans lol. Don't work here

Pros

Can't think of one.

Cons

You are apart of an algorithm

Ok money if you work really long days

I really liked instacart at first but as I worked longer and longer the issues with this company and app started to really get to me. First of all, the rating system for work. Its all good until some random gives you a 1 star for no reason and no explanation then you spend hours on the app trying to not get dropped by support. Everyday they tell you something different and every support specialist handles you differently and does more or less depending on who you get. They told us months ago customers could not leave below 5 stars without an explanation but here we are months later and still this has not happened.

Pros

Make Money, Flexible

Cons

Stress, No support, High mileage on your vehicle, very monotonous, company only cares about money so your just a number

Extremely low. Waste of time

I compliant to Instacart management about the extremely low pay and low rewards for using my car. Instacart ignored the issues of their shoppers and instead constantly advertise for more drivers. Instacart only care about making money using drivers for their business instead of treating shoppers with respect.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Extremely low pay. Waste of gas and time

They dont care about shoppers

People are using bots to auto accept batches. I have comlained many time but Instacart doesn’t care. All they care is about making money and filling their own pockets. I wake up at 6 and sit with the phone in one hand till 6 in the evening so i can get a batch. All i get is left over when the cheaters are tired. Let me mention that I am one of the top rated shoppers in my region. People are also using multiple accounts but the Instacart doesn’t care about its own policies

Pros

None until they start caring about us

Cons

Cheating shoppers.

This is "gig" you might want to pass on

I did register as a shopper, hoping to earn a few extra dollars. But so far it has been disappointing. Rate of pay is quite low - 2 hrs work earning less than $30. While the job itself is easy it seems like a lot of hassle for the money.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

low pay with little support

Good Pt work

Good Pt work. Good hrs. Must have fuel efficient car. Like to shop. Customers are friendly. Must be able to pick out good stock and able to weight out produce and deli meats.

Instacart shopper

I started working with instacart as of Feb 2020 as a store shopper and delivery. Their pay structure is not transparent and they started to pay less for big batches. You would see $7 payout for 30 items and you still have to wait for 30mins in the cold weather at the store lineup. They didn’t give the shoppers who are the front line of the business during the covid-19 better pay instead they reduce the pay and they didn’t send out any protective equipment like masks and gloves.

Pros

Make your own hours but there are no batches because of the surplus of shoppers

Cons

Pay is terrible

Generally ok, just the customer's sometimes would expect one to read their minds, and then rate you based your ability to read their minds.

I recommend instacart as a side job. My major issue is just with SOME customers. sometimes, though rarely a customer Mark's an item as " missing,  when they haven't been charged for an item,  someone says I prefer this item as a replacement,  you get it and customer tags it as " Wrong". I dont think the issues are addressed, cause you send your report on the item with no response.  When issues have been sorted it should be taken off ones profile. By the way just so you know, you are not guaranteed batches.  It's more like who picks it first.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Instacart Shoppers. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8