Instacart Shoppers

Instacart Shoppers Employee Reviews

Showing all 2,815 reviews

Wouldn't reccomend

At Instacart you are a "independant contractor", meaning everything you make isn't taxed yet and so if you take that in account plus gas you generally end up making less than minimum wage depending on the day. It also puts a lot more wear & tear on your car. On the bright side, as a contractor you are your own boss; you can (in theory) work whenever you want, for however long you want. However, that must be taken with a grain of salt because at times there will be no jobs in your area depending on your location. You can also see what each job pays, how many items it will be and how long it should take before you accept them so you can wait for the "good" ones if you want to. Overall I wouldn't reccomend attempting to do this as a full time job to support a family or anyhthing, as most of the time the pay that is shown to you is nearly halfed by taxes and gas (at least in my experience). I would recommend it to someone who a) has a very reliable car that will not be expensive to service (i.e. older model civics or corollas), and b) already has a full-time job, or doesn't need to independently support a household.

Pros

You get to work whenever you want, in a refrigerated store then you can drive your car and listen to music, you can earn credits towards your own deliveries

Cons

Long hours for good pay

Great flexibility. Mediocre pay.

It used to pay so much better in the beginning. Too many low/no tip orders. Like imagine shopping for 40 items, delivering 6 miles and making $11. Otherwise, I am appreciative of the flexibility and consistency.

You can make money but...

You are running in circles for chump change. Racking up miles and maintenance costs and making $12 per hour. Dealing with an app that crashes continuously and making a few dollars for huge orders. I've killed my back coming up with $120 in a weekend. Alcohol orders are a nightmare since the customer is either never ready with ID or when they aren't home and you have to drive the order back to the store to return it and sit on hold for an hour just to get half of what the delivery would have paid. It's great to help cover a bill if you're short on cash but not recommended as an actual job.

Pros

Cashout instantly

Cons

Plan ahead or be left waiting for tips to clear

Was great at first then

In the beginning I was getting all kinds(100's) of batches to chose from daily, and was getting paid decently for completing these orders. A few updates later and about a year later. I was only seeing a handful of available batches daily. Then I started noticing that pay has gotten ridiculous to the point where its not worth it anymore. Gas is at $4.45 a gallon where I live. Please pay living wages.

Pros

time flexibility, work independantly

Cons

no gas help, no help in wear and tear on vehicle

Flexible

Flexible. You don’t really have a boss. You just have to get the groceries to the customer in a timely manner. Everything is pretty straight forward.

Not worth your time

Pay is minimum and orders can take up to 2 hours to complete also app is still having issues sometimes you cant even shop because the gps puts the store miles away from the actual store there is no compensation for time wasted or driven

Cons

Flexible but you have to work SMART

Great flexibility is the main pro. Work anytime you want ...or not. The base batch pay of $7 to $8 is disgraceful. And that's before gas and car wear and tear. The company is banking on the customers paying generous tips to at least get the pay to poverty level. That's why you have to work smart and be selective of what batches you accept. Do I take the $15 batch for 65 items at the supermarket or the $12 batch for 3 items at the drug store? Vast majority of my customers are super and tip well. There are the few that put up a good tip at the beginning and then suckerpunch you after delivery and reduce the tip substantially. For no fault of the shopper. So yeah. It's great IF you work SMART.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Base pay and overall business model

Good for a side hustle, not good for a full time job

It's a good gig for an extra income. You can work at any time that stores are open and there are batches, anytime between 6 am and 9 pm here. You just drive to the correct store and pay for the customers groceries, then drop them off at their house or apartment. I've gotten a few hotels also, and some workplaces. It can be difficult when the customers don't respond to messages, when they don't give their unit number or apartment number or the gate code if needed, or when an order has to be cancelled as you have to go through the support services through the app. It is a lot of wear and tear on your car, along with gas. It can be stressful to find locations. It's a driving-centered job. It is good money on days when customers have good tips! Sometimes there are not many batches so it's not consistent work either. And most of the time it's just not that much money in total for us shoppers. Another huge thing- sometimes the customers lie about a missing or damaged item to Instacart to get their money back and then the shoppers might get a bad rating for this which affects how many batches we get.

Pros

Work any time in the day, can have nice interactions with customers and store employees, nice side income

Cons

Not livable full time income here, wear and tear on car, customers that don't respond or don't give proper directions to their house or apartment

Unreliable and toxic rating system

If u wanna do instacart please don't do it full time or like a regular job. Trust me you are better of doing as a side kick job like its meant to be. You don't wanna glued to your phone hoping to pull of a decent batch with a decent pay but only to get out swiped and left with terrible batches. I honestly felt miserable starting at the screen almost all day with no batches. Not to mention its also a drain on your car and you'll be going for a lot of maintenance due to being on the road a lot more and driving a lot more.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Unreliable, Rating system, terrible treatment and management

Terrible, just terrible

I wait for 60 hours a week to try to pull in 200$, because it's not capable of pulling more. I have 0 days off, and worry every week if I can keep the lights on. There are no perks. There are no bonuses.

Pros

You can set whatever schedule you want

Cons

You get nothing. High stress.

Jobs at Instacart Shoppers

See more jobs

Not worth it

It seems like a great way to work on your own time, start and stop when ever, but you're really not making enough money to justify the time.Expect to spend about an hour on each delivery, if not more if it is a big order, and expect to drive a LOT. You may get $20 for one order.. but youre spending about 35 minuets to shop, and probably about 25 minuets driving your own car.I spent my days off doing this one weekend, to see if it was worth it, and it really isnt. I made $60 in 5 hours because of traffic, large orders, and very little payout. Thats $12/hour. I havent made that since babysitting..If you're able to tank 10 hours a day and have an electric car, maybe it worth it? But honestly its not a good side hustle and certainly not a good full time job. I would recommend uber eats if you want a side hustle. Much better payout for your time.

Pros

Work life balance, can stop and start whenever, work for "yourself", don't have to deal with a lot of people face to face.

Cons

Not enough pay for the amount of time you will put in, between shopping, driving, waiting for customers to answer, and gas.

it's okay...just gonna kill my car

instacart is great, but it's not a forever job. the flexibility of it is great, but i cannot put all this wear and tear on my car forever. i wish there were more to say.

Flexible and easy

Working for Instacart is very easy and flexible . An order takes about 1-1:30 hours . You get tips most of the time depends on the location . You have to get to know the store though to be faster

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Paying for taxes

Not enough pay after a few years of working

You can make good money but the company started taking advantage of people. The platform is always screwed up. Overall not dependent money. The company does not care who works for them or who they lose.

Pros

Work your own hours

Cons

Too many shoppers

Just a gig

Very little pay, use your own vehicle, not a bad gig just not really something you can rely on for a career or anything like that. Basically make your own schedule and shop for and deliver groceries.

Pros

Make your own schedule

Cons

Just part time money

Take your time

I love the Instacart platform. It allows one to set their own pace and schedule while offering income possibilities that one could pay their bills with.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

If you get more than one rating less than five stars, you are punished severely by having your income and access to orders drastically reduced.

Great for flexibility needs, but compensation for time, energy and wear/tear on vehicle could be better

There is absolutely no benefits involved, but the ability to make my own schedule was great with my home life needs. The pay has gradually gotten worse over the last year and people don’t tip very well sometimes, but overall it’s okay for what it is. Great for supplemental income purposes which is what I used it for.

Pros

Flexible schedule, ability to work when you want

Cons

No benefits, wear and tear on vehicle, lot of driving, no consistent pay guaranteed

The company gives you the flexibility you need

I enjoy shopping for customers and most of the customers are truly grateful for my attention to detail. The work is fairly easy and the app has improved tremendously

Pros

Flexibility, tips and variety of stores to shop at

Cons

Some customers don't respond which makes it difficult to sub

Fun

Its not bad pay can be decent depending on how much you work. Some customers don't ever respond so it makes it hard to do the job. Support can be difficult to get to side with you.

standard gig job

Standard gig job, worth it if you're a student or need some side cash. Can pay decent to not so decent depending on what city you're working in. Shopper support services aren't that great.

Self employed

Terrible company to work for. Everything is through the website. No person or number to reach out to. Any problems, everything through via text 🤷‍♀️sad

Pros

My own boss

Cons

Everything is through a website!!!!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Instacart Shoppers. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8