Innovative Community Support Services Employee Reviews

Worst Job ever!
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 June 2019
One of my worst jobs ever! Poor management skills they treat staff as if they are replaceable this frame of thinking is seen all the way to the top of the organization. Near the end of my employment there was at least three people who had went on stress leave in the frame of two months. I had no work life balance at all as they where always understaff and they rely on their long term staff to fill the gaps. They treat their staff like slave workers with no recognition. My last straw was when they tried to implement ridiculous procedures to surveil staff and create cellphone blockers in the homes to prevent staff from using their phones.
Pros
great clients, supportive co-workers
Cons
Management, pay
Amazing company!
Frontline worker (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ON6 May 2019
ICSS is a great place to work. I have been here for just over 2 years and love it. Never had any issues with approaching my supervisor or management. If they have a concern they let you know in a positive way and help their employees to improve. I have had the opportunity to go on numerous trips with the residents which has been great.
Pros
Actively involved in the community, great supervisors, set schedule
Cons
Hourly rate of pay
Worst Company to work for
PWS (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON15 January 2019
The management don't care, the staffs back stabs you, it just another group homecare as a psw. If you are just looking for an entry level job in Kanata then sure, but work long term then no.
Pros
Some staffs you work with are awesome
Cons
Management team
Great team approach, wonderful place to work!
n/a (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ON21 November 2018
I would highly recommend ICSS as a place to work. If you are a hard worker who is reliable and truly enjoys helping others you will love your job here. Management will listen to you and always give positive feedback.
Pros
Free Parking, Group Benefits
Hard working frontline staff, management is dedicated to their Staff and Residents.
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ON13 October 2018
Hourly wage is not the greatest but everything else is amazing. Management will always take the time to help employees. They listen well and takes feed back positively. A lot of Staff appear scared to approach Management but if you are an honest employee and show your hard work they are there for you in every step you make. Supervisors are in the homes almost daily to help support the Staff and Residents which is nice to see.

The only thing is the frontline Staff can call in sick a lot and abuse their sick time allotted. Which.makes it very hard for our Team and Residents. It would be nice to see more mature employees working there. I think the millennials are the issue as they think they can do what they want (I.e set their own schedules, call in whenever, leave whenever, they don't realize the affect it puts on the Residents)
Pros
Support from managment, Residents are amazing, Very organized leaving less room for errors to be made
Cons
Millennial workers, hourly rate.
Never a dull moment
Direct Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ON15 September 2018
I've been with ICSS for nearly a year and I hope to be there for years to come. There is a low turn over rate and I feel supported by management. The door is always open anytime I have needed to talk to upper management. My supervisor is great and the team I work with is fantastic. The benefits are great but I wish the pay was better, that would be my only complaint. They show staff appreciation all the time. I would recommend working at ICSS anytime.
Benefits
Cons
Pay
Amazing company!
Frontline worker (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ON3 September 2018
Pros
Actively involved in the community, great supervisors, set schedule
Cons
Hourly rate of pay
Amazing Clients and programming, Great opportunities but poor management
CP Worker (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 July 2018
Pros: it's a super positive place to work- co-workers laugh and joke around with each other and the clients (who are amazing and all the staff love them). There's tons of opportunity for creativity in developing programming and you learn so much from the participants of the programs. The work you do and the people you work with are great.

Cons: although I'm not certain, it seems clear that all staff who have been fired have been with significant cause (some appalling). They do however have a crazy turnover rate. The biggest cons are: poor pay; little-to-no-breaks; inflexibility in time off; staff who feel they are constantly walking on eggshells shells when it comes to management; staff being micromanaged on every level (no one can do anything without first speaking to their boss or their boss's boss) it's no wonder there's such a lack of communication, high turnover and burn out.
Pros
Clientele; programming; creativity in work; fun environment;
Cons
Lack of breaks; constant miscommunication; micromanagement; pay
Great Place to work!
support worker (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ON14 June 2018
I have worked frontline with ICSS for many years and wouldn't have it any other way. Great agency who cares a lot about their staff and residents. I love the staff appreciation contests they do throughout the year. Staff Christmas party is lots of fun as well as the little contest throughout the month of September for staff appreciation.
Pros
Positive atmosphere, management is approachable
Cons
pay rate
Work is good, agency is questionable
Residential Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 January 2018
Hours are not ideal by any means and there has been a few practices that have just seemed questionable in an agency that loves to boast how wonderful they are.
Pros
Free lunches during training
Cons
Questionable Practices
Ok place to work
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ON22 December 2017
I think ICSS is an ok place to work to gain experience in the field but it is not a long term career. The clients are great and are fun to work with and they are able to participate in a lot of cool programming...if they have the staffing to bring them. The agency is constantly short staffed and it impacts the clients and other staff on shift. There is a lot of hush hush things going on in the agency and I think that management is very controlling and does not trust staff. They do not know how to deligate and they try to micromanage everything. It is not a place for personal growth in the field, as you will not be valued as an employee or person.
Pros
good coworkers, benefits
Cons
lack of value in staff, management
Great workplace, great clients.
Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 December 2017
Great workers, amazing clients, unfortunately management needs a wake up call. High turnover rate, no cares for the employees. Termination without cause, seen over 10 amazing staff get fired since I’ve been hired.
Cons
No brakes
High turn over rate
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 November 2017
Company places high value on clients, and not enough on the employees.
There is too big of a gap between management and the employees. Employees feel unheard and are unhappy about this. They have made recent changes to work on this. But unfortunately are falling short. There is also no job security
Pros
client centered approach
Cons
no job security
Clientd are the best
In Home Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON26 September 2017
Clients and most of the staff are amazing, upper management could use a shake up. Over all not horrible place but not a great long term employment choice.
Pros
Amazibg clientd
Great Workplace
Community Participation Worker (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ON28 August 2017
ICSS was incorporated in June 2001 as a charitable organization that focuses on providing high quality, cost effective programs and services to the for communities in Eastern Ontario. ICSS is a transfer payment agency through the Ministry of Community and Social Services. I have learned so much and continue to grow and learn every single day.
support worker
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 July 2017
horrible place to work. Management is the worst. They don't care about you or the clients. The fire people without cause, including if you've been there for years. They dint follow policies and procedures. The pay is HORRIBLE! Doesn't matter how many years you've been with them they will not give you an incentive. When you try and state your opinion they basically tell you to shut up. Theres so much turnover and never enough staff. would not recommend to anyone.
Pros
Cleints
Cons
Management, Pay, atmosphere
Management go out of their way to bully their staff.
Front Line Staff (Former Employee) –  Navan, ON Orleans, ON6 July 2017
After being in the social field for about 15 years, I moved to the Ottawa area. I was there for about two years and over that time, I saw so many staff bullied, ridiculed, and mistreated. The executive director is a bully and appears to expect that from her supervisors. It was very disappointing to see the team members, who worked hard and really cared for the individuals, so poorly treated. During my time there, I witnessed many good and kind workers either fired or leave in frustration. I finally left, because it was so toxic. The sad part is there were a lot of great people to work with. Also there were so many wonderful individuals that we cared for. This place needs a complete overhaul.
Cons
Great staff, wonderful individuals to support.
Great atmosphere
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 February 2017
During my time working at ICSS the staff and management were very welcoming from the start. As a supervisor of the program it was a fantastic job and very rewarding.
Poor management has created terrible work culture
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ON7 July 2016
High turnover rate due to unsupported managements and unjustified firing process. Management does not encourage employees to initiate innovative or independent ideas and programs that can better the services for clients. Management does not try to work with employees to find solutions, but rather they play the blame game and fire employees.

An agency where client care is actually not the priority; they really serve their board of directors and business partners.
Pros
Clients are wonderful people.
Cons
Loved working with my clients
Group home worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 October 2015
My clients there were wonderful. We had a lot of fun going out doing activities. A lot of great times. Management could be a little more organized.