Industry Canada

Industry Canada Management reviews

I am currently a Project Planner under the IT Transformation and Modernization Programs Branch at the Chief Information Office (CIO) at Industry Canada. In this role I am fully immersed in a large IT Modernization Program for the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO), where I support the Program Manager in coordinating and monitoring activities between CIPO and the CIO. I am responsible for creating and maintaining project documentation with the Departmental tool as well as creating monthly project IT Dashboard reports for DM approval. I provide key Secretariat support to multiple governance and steering committees where I am responsible for the logistics of these large senior committee meetings which can include reserving conference/ meeting locations, hospitality and any necessary travel arrangements. This involves, creating the communications plans, internal ‘Wiki’ site (collaboration space), preparing agendas, Records of Decision, tracking action items and follow ups and monitoring the committee mailbox. I am the key contact who liaises with Project Managers and Business sponsors regarding any concerns or questions on project documentation and provide advice and information to assist in the completion of all required documents for each project Stage Gate. This is a short list of some of my responsibilities as a Project Coordinator. In the past I have gained extensive experience as an Executive assistant. In this role, I have coordinated, maintained and supported the Senior Management in the following; organizing meetings on a daily basis and large events, prepare - more...
Pros
walk to work
Cons
no opportunity for advancement
Horrible management of employees and resources. Many inefficiencies. Lack of oversight, career development, motivation. Cancelled my contract without telling myself or my manager.
great environment, team and learning was very easy because of the management team.
I enjoyed working at the district level of Industry Canada. As with all Federal departments Industry Canada is top heavy with Senior Management in Ottawa. There is somewhat of an "Old Boys" network with many Appointees taking high level positions within the organization. Not too much room for advancement unless you break into the Old Boys network.
Performed daily updates and quality control of the Intranet page “Get Involved”, removing old posts and adding new ones Generated a weekly activity log to update my tasks Implemented an updated information management system Collaborated with editors, translators and project leaders Performed research on WebEx for intranet articles Revised and managed content for news releases and published them online Environment: PC, HTML, Electronic Publishing at Industry Canada (EPIC), Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Internet research, and Photoshop
My typical day at work consists of an ongoing stream of demands from Management for HR related requests.
Loved this job; life was good within government; started to learn tradeshow management